[BREAKING NEWS] - BlackBerry "tentatively" agrees to $4.7 Billion buyout.

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
More info once available...

BlackBerry agrees to be acquired by a group led by Fairfax Financial Holdings for $4.7 billion.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: [BREAKING NEWS] - BlackBerry "tentatively" agrees to $4.7 Million buyout.

famo u give me 4.7 billion u can fuck my wife

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

good deal or bad?

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

good deal or bad?

Really don't know.

BB has a very low market share in North America.

Worldwide, they are still strong to a point, but are they worth $4.7 Billion :confused:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

Really don't know.

BB has a very low market share in North America.

Worldwide, they are still strong to a point, but are they worth $4.7 Billion :confused:
I was thinking they were worth more

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Please tell that a typo and billion not million.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered

the only thing android and iphone users care about is when are those bbm apps coming.

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/23/technology/mobile/blackberry-private/index.html

Well, that didn't take long. BlackBerry on Monday announced plans to become a private company in a deal that is worth just $4.7 billion.
Hedge fund Fairfax Financial, BlackBerry's largest shareholder, hopes to buy the company outright for $9 per share, BlackBerry announced Monday afternoon. That's an extremely low premium -- prior to the announcement, BlackBerry was trading at $8.24 per share. As recently as Friday, BlackBerry shares were trading at more than $10.

Shares of BlackBerry (BBRY) traded just above $9 after the announcement.

The deal comes just three days after BlackBerry announced brutal preliminary quarterly financials. On Friday, BlackBerry said it will lay off 4,500 staffers by the end of the year, and the company will log a $1 billion loss for last quarter. BlackBerry also said Friday that it plans to offer just four smartphones going forward instead of six.

Fairfax already owns about a 10% stake in the long-struggling smartphone maker. Fairfax CEO Prem Watsa said the deal "will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees," and that it will "deliver immediate value to shareholders."

BlackBerry's chairwoman, Barbara Stymiest, said the company would also consider other deals if they are "superior" to Fairfax's offer. BlackBerry has until Nov. 4 to find a better offer before proposing Fairfax's plan to shareholders.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

the only thing android and iphone users care about is when are those bbm apps coming.
Who knows at this point. Like i said in that app thread, i think the false start was purposely done to gauge public interest and value of their last true asset. I dont think its a coincidence they are purchased the day after they create such a net buzz.

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who knows at this point. Like i said in that app thread, i think the false start was purposely done to gauge public interest and value of their last true asset. I dont think its a coincidence they are purchased the day after they create such a net buzz.

Yeah between Friday and today a lot happened related to BB.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

last true asset???
dude you have no clue - RIM real money has always been in enterprise hardware and software... everything you're seeing from them now has been about them exiting the consumer market only.

On a side note - whats up with these large INC running to privatize - RIM was talking about this since last year - Dell and others have started their own strategies to go private- what do they see coming?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

last true asset???
dude you have no clue - RIM real money has always been in enterprise hardware and software... everything you're seeing from them now has been about them exiting the consumer market only.
Ok. So last consumer market asset.

On a side note - whats up with these large INC running to privatize - RIM was talking about this since last year - Dell and others have started their own strategies to go private- what do they see coming?
A crash. And change in regulation.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

this. and it is going to happen sooner than later. especially if congress doesn't get their act together.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

BlackBerry has always struck me as a company that got lucky; in the right place at the right time. This led them to be the fastest growing company in the world a few years ago, but a lack of strategic direction appears to have been their undoing.

I'm sure they'll retain a decent-sized business by catering for governments and regulated industries that need their industry-leading security (I doubt the NSA hacked BES, the media tends to confuse this with BIS) but it looks like their involvement in the consumer space is drawing to a close.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor

BlackBerry has always struck me as a company that got lucky; in the right place at the right time. This led them to be the fastest growing company in the world a few years ago, but a lack of strategic direction appears to have been their undoing.

I'm sure they'll retain a decent-sized business by catering for governments and regulated industries that need their industry-leading security (I doubt the NSA hacked BES, the media tends to confuse this with BIS) but it looks like their involvement in the consumer space is drawing to a close.

they were pig-headed about their physical keyboard when the rest of the competition went all-out on touchscreen.

by the time they got onboard, it was too late. then they release their newest phone & they're STILL pushing the physical keyboard.

:smh:

bb had this game on lock. their rise & fall should be a teaching guide for good vs bad management.

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

last true asset???

Ok. So last consumer market asset.

this. and it is going to happen sooner than later. especially if congress doesn't get their act together.
Dell does not want to go private. Michael dell (who gave up being ceo) wants to go private to restructure his falling company. The only way for him to do that is by taking re ownership of the company. His biggest obstacle is carl icahn, who continues to undercut him with every offer he makes. Michael dell sees that as the pc market continues to decline and the mobile market increases it would be foolish to pursue Dells current course. This is also about his legacy. As for BB (formally RIM) the same my be said for them as with dell. They both need to restructure, which means heavy loses that the market would not accept from a publicly traded company.

jwilliam85

Rising Star
Registered

Dell does not want to go private. Michael dell (who gave up being ceo) wants to go private to restructure his falling company. The only way for him to do that is by taking re ownership of the company. His biggest obstacle is carl icahn, who continues to undercut him with every offer he makes. Michael dell sees that as the pc market continues to decline and the mobile market increases it would be foolish to pursue Dells current course. This is also about his legacy. As for BB (formally RIM) the same my be said for them as with dell. They both need to restructure, which means heavy loses that the market would not accept from a publicly traded company.

Thanks.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

they were pig-headed about their physical keyboard when the rest of the competition went all-out on touchscreen.
I dont think their downfall is linked as much to form factor as it was to its refusal on improving software and browsing experience. They were stubborn to adjust the platform. Physical keyboard still has a market imo.

Thanks for further clarity, my point was that the regulations- both current and future- are far more strict for a public company vs private. Im also certain they are concerned with market and value crash as well during their restructure.

SIDESHOW

Uncle Juice
BGOL Investor

holy shit.. I actually agree with Boro on this one. I think this is spot on^^^

They are pretty done in the consumer market. They'll be a niche player. Most folks, including myself(I'm out next month), have moved on a long time ago.

I wrote them off when they announced that they wouldn't be bringing QNX to the Playbook. :lol::hmm:

I gone one of them worthless bricks right now :angry:

SIDESHOW

Uncle Juice
BGOL Investor
One other thing.. I believe the CEO's buyout package would be close to $60mil.

Dude drives the company into the ground(perhaps by design/mandate -hot debate right now), and now gets $60 mil if they want to jettison is sorry ass. :lol:

Last edited:

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Good analysis.

BB (RIM) and Palm were the only ones catering to that market for the longest.

I remember having a Palm Treo phone, and thought that thing was the shit...which it was for 2006

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

by the time they got onboard, it was too late. then they release their newest phone & they're STILL pushing the physical keyboard.

bb had this game on lock. their rise & fall should be a teaching guide for good vs bad management.

Good point bro,

I recall, no more than 5 years ago, an ex gf bought me my first BlackBerry. It was a Curve 8310 and It didn't have any of the street credit it enjoyed later on. It was a businessman's phone and nothing more.I opted to leave it in a box and continue using my Samsung Dual Sim since that was convenient for me back then and of course after few months,as usual lost my samsung and I was left without a phone....well, til of course I remembered that old brick in a box. I whipped it out, stuck my SIM card in it and brought it to life. I hated it. I hated everything about it and I've even lost count of how many threads I started here on BGOL and CRACKBERRY asking for instructions....but after 2 weeks I was hooked!

Of course friends would slate me for owning a yep.. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D "smartphone":):)...but I just liked the noise it made when I speed-dialled someone. Over the months, I grew to absolutely love my BlackBerry. It had everything a normal phone had, but so much more! It had a large screen for web-browsing, it had a QWERTY keyboard, it had push email and best of all, it had an exclusive messenger that only BlackBerry-users could use; BBM....:)

Over the years that ensued, I continued with my admiration of BlackBerry, getting a further four devices of theirs; Curve 8900, Bold 9700, Bold 9710 and Bold 9900 (which I lost few months ago).

What I noticed as time went by, however, was that where once upon a time BB were the only smartphones you could buy - they in fact were the definition of the word smartphone - other players were catching on to this market, and they were doing so at a sensational rate. It all started, of course, with Apple's debut in the mobile phone industry with their first iPhone. It was a game changer. Suddenly, and as if from absolutely nowhere, smartphones were all anyone seemed to want. iPhones, of course, back then, were really a show-off tool for the richer of society, but that was never going to last. Before too long, and a couple of iPhone versions later and simply everyone had one. We even had that APPLE's official rep here on BGOL (cant remember his name but I know he has some child support issues while he would buy the latest Iphone:lol::lol::lol::lol:), Google soon got on board with Android (which, little-known, was initially based solely on the BB OS before the iPhone launched and those genius Android developers went back to the drawing board).

Suddenly there was a vast array of global companies working tirelessly on both hardware and software, trying desperately to one-up themselves over their competition. And what did our BlackBerry (or RIM, as it was back then) do while all this was going on? Absolutely nothing!!!!!! It rested on its laurels. It slated Apple and the iPhone and referred to it as a silly fad that would die out.

What killed BlackBerry? Complacency.

As with so many other companies in the past in so many other industries, an industry-leader sat back in all its glory, believing it needn't do a thing other than sit and watch its competition fail....

By the time BlackBerry realised what the hell was going on, it was all far, far too late. The smartphone was no longer defined by the word BlackBerry; it was defined by a vast number of words including fruit-based and robot-based nouns alike:):)

Everything BlackBerry has done since then has been desperate catch up which, ultimately and unfortunately, was doomed the moment former CEOs Mike and Jim sat back with arrogance all those years ago.

I think it's a huge shame to see the once-great smartphone maker now diminishing into nothingness. But it is a stark reminder that no company, no matter how huge, rich and powerful, can ever rest on its laurels and believe it's bigger than it really is...

In short those Canadians were too slow to adapt, too arrogant to listen, too stupid to understand... that is RIM.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

not that at all..

the keyboard actually kept some of the loyalist,

it was the fuckin terrible internet browsing and pathetic lack of apps... those ol farts at RIM just didnt know any new tricks..

but they made up for it with the BB 10 and the new update perfected the vitural keyboard even more.

anyway,

I think I bes hold on to my bbry stock a lil longer..

J.E.T.S

Rising Star
Registered
No keyboard = no selling point ... if they tried to put a physical keyboard on a phone with a big screen than people would laugh. So, they added a virtual keyboard which made people think "why not just get an iphone or Android with tons of Apps and better browsing"

Only people who still use bb are loyal consumers who afraid of change.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Real2DaC0re

Rising Star
Registered
Them dummies went from sitting on their high horse laughing at Apple for making a touch-screen phone, saying it will not last, to losing a major piece of the smartphone market, to selling their stock and laying off 4,500 workers. Good for them.