Boots Riley shits on Black klansmen

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
I didn't even go see it cuz by now ya gotta know Spike ain't the same guy anymore anyway. I disagree with some of his angle on this, but it also covers typical spike- so it makes sense without me having to watch that trash.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/boots-...out-criticizes-blackkklansman-news.57699.html

Boots Riley hit a home run with his left-leaning motion picture debut Sorry to Bother You. Except it coincides with another politically-themed film that just came out, the latest Spike Lee joint BlacKkKlansman. To say Boots Riley isn't much of a Spike Lee fan would be an understatement. Boots wrote a response to the film in the form of a three-part essay on Twitter, where he referred to BlacKkKlansman as “a made up story in which the false parts of it try to make a cop the protagonist in the fight against racist oppression.”

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
But why is he mad though? It's not a true story, fine. But like all movies these days, it's based on a true story/events. Keyword "based". Let Spike make his movies, why dog him. Boots made a good movie, but the ending sucked. I felt the scene at the end of Klansmann with the dirty cop sucked too. But the rest of the movie was good. If I had to choose which was better, i'd go with Klansmann.i paid to see both, as well as Blindspotting (another good movie) and have no regrets about seeing either of them.

We should be celebrating more black directors and not taring each other down.

I read the first two pages of his essay and stopped. So if I misread anything, my bad. I'll finish it.

Last edited:

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But why is he mad though? It's not a true story, fine. But like all movies these days, it's based on a true story/events. Keyword "based". Let Spike make his movies, why dog him. Boots made a good movie, but the ending sucked. I felt the scene at the end of Klansmann with the dirty cop sucked too. But the rest of the movie was good. If I had to choose which was better, i'd go with Klansmann.i paid to see both, as well as Blindspotting (another good movie) and have no regrets about seeing either of them.

We should be celebrating more black directors and not tearing each other down.

I read the first two pages of his essay and stopped. So if I misread anything, my bad. I'll finish it.

Yeah that was my reaction too....like why detract from another Black film/director?

Saw 'Sorry to bother you" in the Theatre and shared the same sentiment as you. Gonna See "Black Klansman" this week or next week...

I guess Boots is very anti-establishment...and what bothers him.... is that it seems Spike is aiding the Establishment by showing the Police and Stallworth in a positive but inaccurate portrayal - he made it seem that the police were fighting for black people and against white supremacy when it clearly wasn't the case. If what he said was true ---- That Stallworth was an active part of COINTELPRO and enlisted to disrupt black revolutionary organizations for 3 YEARS before embarking on the Ku klux Klan infiltration....Spike could have explored that, how the establishment fears empowered melanated people while turning a blind eye to racist CAC terrorists.

Gonna be interesting to see if the CAC's try to use their old divisive tactics of piggybacking on one black persons opinion in order to invalidate another. The problem is that in this Scenario, Boots is Anti-police, and Spike is looked at to be showing the police in a positive light.....and the last thing they want to do is make Spike Lee seem like a "good guy". They'll probably just spin the shit in a completely different way.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Yeah that was my reaction too....like why detract from another Black film/director?

Saw 'Sorry to bother you" in the Theatre and shared the same sentiment as you. Gonna See "Black Klansman" this week or next week...

I guess Boots is very anti-establishment...and what bothers him.... is that it seems Spike is aiding the Establishment by showing the Police and Stallworth in a positive but inaccurate portrayal - he made it seem that the police were fighting for black people and against white supremacy when it clearly wasn't the case. If what he said was true ---- That Stallworth was an active part of COINTELPRO and enlisted to disrupt black revolutionary organizations for 3 YEARS before embarking on the Ku klux Klan infiltration....Spike could have explored that, how the establishment fears empowered melanated people while turning a blind eye to racist CAC terrorists.

Gonna be interesting to see if the CAC's try to use their old divisive tactics of piggybacking on one black persons opinion in order to invalidate another. The problem is that in this Scenario, Boots is Anti-police, and Spike is looked at to be showing the police in a positive light.....and the last thing they want to do is make Spike Lee seem like a "good guy". They'll probably just spin the shit in a completely different way.
Yeah, but I didn't see the police in a positive light.
The captain was an idiot got assigning him to be his security (why only one person?). The racist cop. The cops that pulled them over. The term they used when referring to back criminals. There was really not much positive about them other than protecting one of their own. They stopped a bombing, but they had to because a black person knew about it and want going to sit by, so the dept had to investigate it. And they also prevented a cross burning.

Edit: my bad, added spoiler tag

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Spike Lee is just not a good director. He picks compelling stories to direct but goes about directing in his same flat, uninspiring fashion. Slow pacing, unnecessary scenes (some valid for artistic registry).

I think the Black Klansmen would have been better served in another directors hands.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
While he is tearing deeply into Spike, I would say this is a fair critique. Nothing wrong with that. makes art better sometimes.
If he didn't tell it then we all would have thought Stallworth was a new Black Hero. I am personally happy for the info about the real story.

Agreed, this is important info and I'm going to do some research of my own on it. Still looking forward to checking this out but dissapointed as hell if what Boots is saying is true.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Spike goes hard at everyone, sometimes you gotta get it back.

Boots has a bonafied anti fuck the system history...but Spike is also a Black institution.

No artists is ever perfect, but Spike has hit far more home runs, vs his BS (see..Chi-Raq).

I aint mad at Boots filling in the holes, and Spike should have put the cointelpro parts in there. Black Klansman was good imo.

But hey Boots should have married and seeded up a Black female....something Spike has done for decades, one women, one Black family.

See how easy it is to talk shit...lol.

We'll see how anti capitalism, Boots is when he goes looking for bigger seed money for his next film.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I understand his point. But the movie wasn't about the police. Hell, he still portrayed a racist policeman

and

Blackkklansman > Sorry To Bother You easily

These youngins stay coming at Spike Lee.

Boots has to be in his 40's

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Agreed, this is important info and I'm going to do some research of my own on it. Still looking forward to checking this out but dissapointed as hell if what Boots is saying is true.
It's funny how even in dudes wiki page, it mentions that his FIRST assignment is covering Stokely Carmichael. One little sentence then they move on lol. Yes I'm glad to know there's more to the story.

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

Real Niggas Get Real Pussy
BGOL Investor
Spike goes hard at everyone, sometimes you gotta get it back.

Boots has a bonafied anti fuck the system history...but Spike is also a Black institution.

No artists is ever perfect, but Spike has hit far more home runs, vs his BS (see..Chi-Raq).

I aint mad at Boots filling in the holes, and Spike should have put the cointelpro parts in there. Black Klansman was good imo.

But hey Boots should have married and seeded up a Black female....something Spike has done for decades, one women, one Black family.

See how easy it is to talk shit...lol.

We'll see how anti capitalism, Boots is when he goes looking for bigger seed money for his next film.

Boots married and seeded up a cracker?

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Spike Lee is just not a good director. He picks compelling stories to direct but goes about directing in his same flat, uninspiring fashion. Slow pacing, unnecessary scenes (some valid for artistic registry).

I think the Black Klansmen would have been better served in another directors hands.

I'm not a Spike Lee fan. I think he chooses good topics but a horrible director. All of his movies drag on with dull lighting. Black Klannsman was the worst movie I've seen in a while.It dragged on with alot of fat. And it was unbelievable. A brutha talks on the phone and a white guys with a completely different voice acts like the same person? And instead of getting David Duke he talks shit to him on the phone? I really can't think of a worse movie that I paid to see. I hate to say it but I do think the only reason Spike Lee has been successful is because he was the first well known black Director and we supported him.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Both of them need to sit the fuck down and watch Blindspotting.
Especially Boots. How you gone get outdone making a movie set in Oakland?
Your own backyard, bruh?
I was telling one of my homies that Blindspotting is the movie everybody thought Boots was gonna make.
The last 20-25 mins. of Sorry To Bother You seemed like an acid trip. Yes, I got it from an absurdist's perspective but still...
Good thing Tessa Thompson was there.
Oh, snap!

Last Days or SLAM - got your next theme:
Sorry To Bother You 's Tessa Thompson vs Blindspotting's Janina Gavankar vs. - Blackkklansman's Laura Harrier.....GO!

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm with Boots he to deep for you dumb niggas Spike been watered down and sold his soul.
Bruh, Boots didn't invent allegory, symbolism, allusion, or metaphor. Everything he did in his movie has been done before in another way by another writer/director. His way was clever n the way that a smart rapper's rap is clever but even a smart rapper is not the first one to rap. There have been many fantasy movies before his and there will be many afterwards. He did a good job expressing the state of the black community and communicating his subliminal messages. Yes, we are workhorses, etc. District 9 was good, too.
Its not that people didn't get it; its that it was weirdly done. Its artistic expression. He'll probably get many awards for it. Hollywood loves artsy films.
The movie was still weird. :lol:
I saw it, so the knigga got money out of me.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

I love Boots. Just played the Coup in my DJ set tonight, but he's wrong about this.

The movie never tried to make it seem like the police were fighting white supremacists or sticking up for Black people. If anything it was the opposite.

Although it's never specifically stated it seems that the police was infiltrating the Klan to help prevent the kind of situation that happened in Charlottesville.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor

We should be celebrating more black directors and not taring each other down.

Crabs in a barrel...

Darkworld

Carmen Hayes Is The GOAT
Registered

Same with Chi Raq

Silencer

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The title of this thread and the article are misleading. This was one of the first lines from Boots critique:

"This is not as much an aesthetic critique of the masterful craftwork of this film as it is a political critique of the content of and timing of the film."

Calling something masterful craftwork is not shitting on it, lol. His problem is with how this fictionalized version presents Stallworth, and the possible reasons for that presentation. People can disagree with his reasoning and conclusions but no film or filmmaker is above critique. Not Spike, Not Boots...nobody. Personally I'm glad to get a different perspective on the real life Stallworth. None of that takes away from the film being good.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I said the same thing in blog post a few years ago:

I think Spike losing a step is inevitable for anyone who produces at a high level (as quiet as its kept another big name New York director Woody Allen has been more misses than hits since the late 80s) but lets be honest, when it comes to Black filmmakers, Spike's had the benefit of not just having the inside track but the whole track to himself and therefore he's never been pushed professionally by any colleagues because he has no colleagues or contemporaries. In a real sense Lee splits time in black cinema, there are black filmmakers before Spike and after Spike.

Before Spike is who..Sidney Poitier, Melvin Van Peeples, Gordon Parks, Oscar Michaeux...but these are people at least a decade or longer before Spike.

After Spike is who..Robert Townsend, John Singleton, the Hughes brothers, the Hudlins..but these are all people who came out in the late 80s early 90s mostly inspired or influenced by Spike.

Even though Townsend came out a year after Lee, he was a comedian therefore not really direct competition for him. I mean when you look at some great directors you can see a contemporary there who kinda pushed them in competitive ways like Coppola and Scorsese or Lucas and Spielberg. Singleton and the Hughes brothers delved in the same dramatic genre as Spike but you can see his influence in that they look up to Spike and give him deference not across from him saying step up your game, homie.

So Spike has been left to do whatever he wants and as such never really had to shore up or work on any perceived issues or weaknesses in his storytelling (for example his heavy hand in social commentary in his movies). He has never been challenged in that way. Maybe from critics but who gives a shit about them..but not from other black filmmakers in the trenches who are NOT impressed that he was able to make a Hollywood film in the first place. For most of his career Spike was able to use any controversy that was drummed up by his outspoken nature to bring attention to his projects. This worked especially well for Malcolm X and Do The Right Thing. But lately his penchant shooting from the hip on social and political issues has only brought attention to him personally rather than any project he's working on.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Saw it and took my young boy (20 yrs old) had some slow parts but was a decent film and shed so much light on young folks minds. Didnt even read this dudes critique, cant stand some of our folks mentalities...

Ill always support the brother... Backs up some Chiraq was HOT Garbage and I thought he lost his mind when I saw it lol.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
both flicks are in my top 5 movie going experiences of the year

not sure why the need to shit on blackkklanman

assuming they took liberties the main takeaway of the film is how engrained racism is in america and the current racial rhetoric of the past strives in the present