Black Woman of the Day: Reporter Lynn Jones from Jacksonville Free Press - Compassion & Grace in the Media (praised losing Jaguars HC Liam Coen)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Reporter says she doesn’t regret viral moment of praise for Jaguars’ Liam Coen

Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Liam Coen speaks with reporters in front of a black background following an NFL wild-card playoff football game.

Reporter Lynn Jones' words of encouragement to Jaguars coach Liam Coen during a postgame news conference made waves online. John Raoux / Associated Press
Denny Alfonso
Denny Alfonso
Jan. 12, 2026Updated 9:30 pm EST

The Jacksonville Jaguars lost a close wild-card playoff game at home Sunday to the Buffalo Bills, shattering their Super Bowl dreams. But an unexpected moment in the postgame news conference made headlines and inspired a deluge of social media posts, when a reporter from the Jacksonville Free Press, a Black weekly, offered words of encouragement to head coach Liam Coen instead of asking a question.

Advertisement

Lynn Jones, who has worked as a reporter for more than three decades, spoke Monday with The Athletic to explain why she used her time with the microphone to support Coen. The 23 seconds Jones spent speaking sparked backlash from journalists over what is considered appropriate in postgame news conferences, igniting an online debate about journalistic ethics amid limited access to sports figures.

“I just want to tell you, congratulations on your success, young man,” Jones said to Coen. “You hold your head up, all right? You guys have had a most magnificent season. You did a great job out there today. You just hold your head up, OK? Ladies and gentlemen, Duval, you the one. Keep it going, we got another season, OK? Take care, and much continued success to you and the entire team.”

Coen answered, “Thank you, ma’am.”

Some reporters objected to praise of the exchange, explaining that it’s a journalist’s job to gather and disseminate information, not to become emotionally invested with the people they cover. Others found it heartwarming and a sign that sports reporters take their roles too seriously.




Jones said she had not initially planned to attend the news conference but changed her mind when she was encouraged to go as she was leaving the stadium.

What was going through your mind in that moment right after the Jaguars’ loss that led you to speak as you did?

There are no protocols for a press conference. We do not receive any type of information saying, ‘Hey, you can’t say this, you can’t say that.’ Because I noticed that’s what the controversy is right now. The fact that they’re saying, ‘She motivated him.’ … I’m going to talk minorities. I mean, I’m the only person of color, I’m a senior reporter. I’ve been doing this for more than 30 years. There’s not many women on the front line when it comes to sports in these type of atmospheres. It’s more now. So when I was given the mic, it just came out. It just came out, the encouragement. This man here was carrying the weight of this city, his team, his family, the players.

Advertisement

As someone who lives in Jacksonville and covers the Jaguars, do you feel that supporting the local team comes naturally to you? Was that moment more about showing empathy?

Definitely, I was employed (with the Free Press) under Tom Coughlin. I was with the (team in its) first season (in 1995). My heart is in this town. I’ve been here a long time. I’m Detroit-made, but definitely the spirit — you can’t be always in a tear-down mode. So in our city, we wanted this championship, and it had nothing to do with race. I mean, all of us was together and when we won together, we lost together. So this loss was for the city, it was for everybody. And I think that’s why it’s going viral, because people are a little upset because they didn’t win.

NFL
Top NFL Stories

Texans defense dominates Steelers in wild-card win, Aaron Rodgers’ possible final game


Projecting final 8 NFL playoff teams’ odds to win Super Bowl, with divisional matchup analysis


Ben Johnson didn't just reignite the Bears-Packers rivalry. He's set it on fire

How have the reactions — both criticism and praise — affected the way you feel about your decision to speak that way? Some reporters argue that time in those settings is limited and should be used to address sports-related questions rather than personal opinions. Will this change how you approach news conferences moving forward?

No, I’m not getting ready to get into no rules and regulations and what you can and cannot say and cannot do. We have enough of this going on already. We’re in communications, we’re in a field. … There’s nothing wrong with expressing how you feel and being emotionally invested.

On social media, your message has clearly resonated with the community. What does this mean to you?

Well, as an African American newspaper that’s been around since 1986, and we’re one of the more than 230 African American newspapers (that) are still printed in this country. The bottom line is keep your head up all the way around. I don’t care what you do, keep your head up. You’re going to go through problems, situations in your career, but you have to keep your head up. Regardless, this was not just for Liam. This was for all of us. This was for even us as a nation to keep our heads up.

Advertisement

Have you had any personal interaction with Coach Coen, or is your impression of him mostly from afar? Some might wonder if that’s why you didn’t ask him any questions.

I’ve seen Coach, but we’ve never (interacted); the intricacies of the NFL (are) totally different now. Thirty years ago, our players would come into communities, now they don’t come into communities like that. You have to make an appointment. … It just was compassion; let this man know this is going to be OK. We take this sport so seriously. … Why do I need to ask a question of what happened on the field? Party’s over, the season is over.

Looking back at that moment, what’s the one message you would want both your supporters and critics to take away about the gesture you made?

It was a defining motivational moment, and it was a moment that resonated throughout the city. … We have calls from all around the world. I’m understanding what it means to go viral, OK? And we are a small market, but we have big hearts. The message is stay focused, get in the game. … Because it just happened to me. I didn’t prepare anything, a speech or anything like that. I hadn’t even said in my mind, ‘I’m going to tell him, I’m going to say, you need to know.’ It just happened.
Denny Alfonso
By Denny Alfonso
Staff Writer
 
a lot of people don't seem to know what the media and journalism is now

Journalist are supposed to be impartial, not Trumps version of journalist who kiss ass and say nice things and what you want to hear.



Rob Parker also talked about it and what he teaches his journalism students
 
It's not the job of a reporter to do that

It wasn't about that.



good apology @30:00 Jemele herself got it.

Context is important the environment and timing is too.

Its was tone deaf for them to go at her for showing a little bit of humanity in this this hot take filled content is everything cesspool they have continued to wallow in

And the so called media members criticizing this gonna be the FIRST ones to cry when its their turn on that summer jam screen.

We seen REAL far worse egregious behavior (or LACK of proper behavior) not receive this bullsh*t backlash.

And to be completely honest when I FIRST heard it? I was also taken aback and thought well THAT wasn't professional!

And then I realized that is EXACTLY why it was NEEDED and APT in THAT specific situation.
 
It's not the job of a reporter to do that

It's also not their job to incessantly shit on these players and coaches but in this age of social media, 24 hour sports channels and debate style shows which all require continual negativity to bring in viewers, likes and subscriptions that's by far the accepted norm.

If pieces of shit like Stephen A. and Jason Whitlock can be rewarded with million dollar contracts to put people down without issue and absent impartiality then there shouldn't be an issue with a reporter showing respect and positivity to them on occasion IMO.
 
It's also not their job to incessantly shit on these players and coaches but in this age of social media, 24 hour sports channels and debate style shows which all require continual negativity to bring in viewers, likes and subscriptions that's by far the accepted norm.

If pieces of shit like Stephen A. and Jason Whitlock can be rewarded with million dollar contracts to put people down without issue and absent impartiality then there shouldn't be an issue with a reporter showing respect and positivity to them on occasion IMO.

Those are entertainment shows. Jemele also mentioned that.

You dudes shit on players and teams...but you don't want others to do it to players you like. You would have no problem with it if it's players you also don't like.

In today's society people want echo chambers for information they agree with. That's why Fox News and News Max exist and people are brainwashed by bots.
 
Those are entertainment shows. Jemele also mentioned that.

You dudes shit on players and teams...but you don't want others to do it to players you like. You would have no problem with it if it's players you also don't like.

In today's society people want echo chambers for information they agree with. That's why Fox News and News Max exist and people are brainwashed by bots.

You talking to me or in general?
 
Is something wrong when a Jacksonville based journalist openly roots for the home team? Why does she need to be impartial especially as it relates to sports of all things? I have never heard of this in my life.

How did this become controversial? I mean, I suspect that we all have a similar theory, but lets put that aside...what else could explain this becoming a thing?
 
Is something wrong when a Jacksonville based journalist openly roots for the home team? Why does she need to be impartial especially as it relates to sports of all things? I have never heard of this in my life.

How did this become controversial? I mean, I suspect that we all have a similar theory, but lets put that aside...what else could explain this becoming a thing?

Dude if you don't remember what sports media was like pre hot take ESPN where people began having favorite teams in the 2010's. I don't know what to tell you.

Journalist are telling you what being a part of the media is supposed to be like.
 
It's also not their job to incessantly shit on these players and coaches but in this age of social media, 24 hour sports channels and debate style shows which all require continual negativity to bring in viewers, likes and subscriptions that's by far the accepted norm.

If pieces of shit like Stephen A. and Jason Whitlock can be rewarded with million dollar contracts to put people down without issue and absent impartiality then there shouldn't be an issue with a reporter showing respect and positivity to them on occasion IMO.
Well damn, I didn't think of it like that. You right.

Ain't no press conference like a Denny Green press conference though!
 
Dude if you don't remember what sports media was like pre hot take ESPN where people began having favorite teams in the 2010's. I don't know what to tell you.

Journalist are telling you what being a part of the media is supposed to be like.
ESPN should definitely have that standard of impartiality because they are national....but everything I heard says this lady is local....of course the local sports reporters are partial to the local team, why wouldn't they be?

I don't believe thats the reason they going after this lady...could be racism, misogyny or maybe they just thought it was cringey...saying she should be impartial sounds like some shit you say to cover up what you really feeling
 
Back
Top