Black Woman of the Day: Henrietta Lacks (1st Human Immortal Cell Line), Oprah making HBO film

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Henrietta_Lacks_(1920-1951).jpg

Henrietta Lacks was an African-American woman who was the unwitting source of cells which were cultured by George Otto Gey to create the first known human immortal cell line for medical research. This is now known as the HeLa cell line.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Henrietta-Lacks-Immortal-Cells.html

main2.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/It9TfaORNSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1vow1ePzuqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The story of HeLa cells and what happened with Henrietta has often been held up as an example of a racist white scientist doing something malicious to a black woman. But that’s not accurate. The real story is much more subtle and complicated. What is very true about science is that there are human beings behind it and sometimes even with the best of intentions things go wrong.
:hmm:

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
immortal-life200_custom-8a38ba363e3fd0717a9d7bc432f48adcde994fb9-s3-c85.jpg

In 1951, an African-American woman named Henrietta Lacks was diagnosed with terminal cervical cancer. She was treated at Johns Hopkins University, where a doctor named George Gey snipped cells from her cervix without telling her. Gey discovered that Lacks' cells could not only be kept alive, but would also grow indefinitely.

For the past 60 years Lacks' cells have been cultured and used in experiments ranging from determining the long-term effects of radiation to testing the live polio vaccine. Her cells were commercialized and have generated millions of dollars in profit for the medical researchers who patented her tissue.

Lacks' family, however, didn't know the cell cultures existed until more than 20 years after her death. Medical writer Rebecca Skloot examines the legacy of Lacks' contribution to science — and effect that has had on her family — in her new book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
PROLOGUE

The Woman in the Photograph

There's a photo on my wall of a woman I've never met, its left corner torn and patched together with tape. She looks straight into the camera and smiles, hands on hips, dress suit neatly pressed, lips painted deep red. It's the late 1940s and she hasn't yet reached the age of thirty. Her light brown skin is smooth, her eyes still young and playful, oblivious to the tumor growing inside her — a tumor that would leave her five children motherless and change the future of medicine. Beneath the photo, a caption says her name is "Henrietta Lacks, Helen Lane or Helen Larson."

No one knows who took that picture, but it's appeared hundreds of times in magazines and science textbooks, on blogs and laboratory walls. She's usually identified as Helen Lane, but often she has no name at all. She's simply called HeLa, the code name given to the world's first immortal human cells — her cells, cut from her cervix just months before she died.

Her real name is Henrietta Lacks.

I've spent years staring at that photo, wondering what kind of life she led, what happened to her children, and what she'd think about cells from her cervix living on forever —bought, sold, packaged, and shipped by the trillions to laboratories around the world. I've tried to imagine how she'd feel knowing that her cells went up in the first space missions to see what would happen to human cells in zero gravity, or that they helped with some of the most important advances in medicine: the polio vaccine, chemotherapy, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization. I'm pretty sure that she — like most of us — would be shocked to hear that there are trillions more of her cells growing in laboratories now than there ever were in her body.

There's no way of knowing exactly how many of Henrietta's cells are alive today. One scientist estimates that if you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they'd weigh more than 50 million metric tons — an inconceivable number, given that an individual cell weighs almost nothing. Another scientist calculated that if you could lay all HeLa cells ever grown end-to-end, they'd wrap around the Earth at least three times, spanning more than 350 million feet. In her prime, Henrietta herself stood only a bit over five feet tall.

I first learned about HeLa cells and the woman behind them in 1988, thirty-seven years after her death, when I was sixteen and sitting in a community college biology class. My instructor, Donald Defler, a gnomish balding man, paced at the front of the lecture hall and flipped on an overhead projector. He pointed to two diagrams that appeared on the wall behind him. They were schematics of the cell reproduction cycle, but to me they just looked like a neon-colored mess of arrows, squares, and circles with words I didn't understand, like "MPF Triggering a Chain Reaction of Protein Activations."

I was a kid who'd failed freshman year at the regular public high school because she never showed up. I'd transferred to an alternative school that offered dream studies instead of biology, so I was taking Defler's class for high-school credit, which meant that I was sitting in a college lecture hall at sixteen with words like mitosis and kinase inhibitors flying around. I was completely lost.

"Do we have to memorize everything on those diagrams?" one student yelled.

Yes, Defler said, we had to memorize the diagrams, and yes, they'd be on the test, but that didn't matter right then. What he wanted us to understand was that cells are amazing things: There are about one hundred trillion of them in our bodies, each so small that several thousand could fit on the period at the end of this sentence. They make up all our tissues — muscle, bone, blood — which in turn make up our organs.

Under the microscope, a cell looks a lot like a fried egg: It has a white (the cytoplasm) that's full of water and proteins to keep it fed, and a yolk (the nucleus) that holds all the genetic information that makes you you. The cytoplasm buzzes like a New York City street. It's crammed full of molecules and vessels endlessly shuttling enzymes and sugars from one part of the cell to another, pumping water, nutrients, and oxygen in and out of the cell. All the while, little cytoplasmic factories work 24/7, cranking out sugars, fats, proteins, and energy to keep the whole thing running and feed the nucleus. The nucleus is the brains of the operation; inside every nucleus within each cell in your body, there's an identical copy of your entire genome. That genome tells cells when to grow and divide and makes sure they do their jobs, whether that's controlling your heartbeat or helping your brain understand the words on this page.

Defler paced the front of the classroom telling us how mitosis — the process of cell division — makes it possible for embryos to grow into babies, and for our bodies to create new cells for healing wounds or replenishing blood we've lost. It was beautiful, he said, like a perfectly choreographed dance.

All it takes is one small mistake anywhere in the division process for cells to start growing out of control, he told us. Just one enzyme misfiring, just one wrong protein activation, and you could have cancer. Mitosis goes haywire, which is how it spreads.

"We learned that by studying cancer cells in culture," Defler said. He grinned and spun to face the board, where he wrote two words in enormous print: HENRIETTA LACKS.

Henrietta died in 1951 from a vicious case of cervical cancer, he told us. But before she died, a surgeon took samples of her tumor and put them in a petri dish. Scientists had been trying to keep human cells alive in culture for decades, but they all eventually died. Henrietta's were different: they reproduced an entire generation every twenty-four hours, and they never stopped. They became the first immortal human cells ever grown in a laboratory.

"Henrietta's cells have now been living outside her body far longer than they ever lived inside it," Defler said. If we went to almost any cell culture lab in the world and opened its freezers, he told us, we'd probably find millions — if not billions — of Henrietta's cells in small vials on ice.

Her cells were part of research into the genes that cause cancer and those that suppress it; they helped develop drugs for treating herpes, leukemia, influenza, hemophilia, and Parkinson's disease; and they've been used to study lactose digestion, sexually transmitted diseases, appendicitis, human longevity, mosquito mating, and the negative cellular effects of working in sewers. Their chromosomes and proteins have been studied with such detail and precision that scientists know their every quirk. Like guinea pigs and mice, Henrietta's cells have become the standard laboratory workhorse.

"HeLa cells were one of the most important things that happened to medicine in the last hundred years," Defler said.

Then, matter-of-factly, almost as an afterthought, he said, "She was a black woman." He erased her name in one fast swipe and blew the chalk from his hands. Class was over.

As the other students filed out of the room, I sat thinking, That's it? That's all we get? There has to be more to the story.

I followed Defler to his office.

"Where was she from?" I asked. "Did she know how important her cells were? Did she have any children?"

"I wish I could tell you," he said, "but no one knows anything about her."

After class, I ran home and threw myself onto my bed with my biology textbook. I looked up "cell culture" in the index, and there she was, a small parenthetical:

In culture, cancer cells can go on dividing indefinitely, if they have a continual supply of nutrients, and thus are said to be "immortal." A striking example is a cell line that has been reproducing in culture since 1951. (Cells of this line are called HeLa cells because their original source was a tumor removed from a woman named Henrietta Lacks.)

That was it. I looked up HeLa in my parents' encyclopedia, then my dictionary: No Henrietta.

As I graduated from high school and worked my way through college toward a biology degree, HeLa cells were omnipresent. I heard about them in histology, neurology, pathology; I used them in experiments on how neighboring cells communicate. But after Mr. Defler, no one mentioned Henrietta.

When I got my first computer in the mid-nineties and started using the Internet, I searched for information about her, but found only confused snippets: most sites said her name was Helen Lane; some said she died in the thirties; others said the forties, fifties, or even sixties. Some said ovarian cancer killed her, others said breast or cervical cancer.

Eventually I tracked down a few magazine articles about her from the seventies. Ebony quoted Henrietta's husband saying, "All I remember is that she had this disease, and right after she died they called me in the office wanting to get my permission to take a sample of some kind. I decided not to let them." Jet said the family was angry — angry that Henrietta's cells were being sold for twenty-five dollars a vial, and angry that articles had been published about the cells without their knowledge. It said, "Pounding in the back of their heads was a gnawing feeling that science and the press had taken advantage of them."

The articles all ran photos of Henrietta's family: her oldest son sitting at his dining room table in Baltimore, looking at a genetics textbook. Her middle son in military uniform, smiling and holding a baby. But one picture stood out more than any other: in it, Henrietta's daughter, Deborah Lacks, is surrounded by family, everyone smiling, arms around each other, eyes bright and excited. Except Deborah. She stands in the foreground looking alone, almost as if someone pasted her into the photo after the fact. She's twenty-six years old and beautiful, with short brown hair and catlike eyes. But those eyes glare at the camera, hard and serious. The caption said the family had found out just a few months earlier that Henrietta's cells were still alive, yet at that point she'd been dead for twenty-five years.

All of the stories mentioned that scientists had begun doing research on Henrietta's children, but the Lackses didn't seem to know what that research was for. They said they were being tested to see if they had the cancer that killed Henrietta, but according to the reporters, scientists were studying the Lacks family to learn more about Henrietta's cells. The stories quoted her son Lawrence, who wanted to know if the immortality of his mother's cells meant that he might live forever too. But one member of the family remained voiceless: Henrietta's daughter, Deborah.

As I worked my way through graduate school studying writing, I became fixated on the idea of someday telling Henrietta's story. At one point I even called directory assistance in Baltimore looking for Henrietta's husband, David Lacks, but he wasn't listed. I had the idea that I'd write a book that was a biography of both the cells and the woman they came from — someone's daughter, wife, and mother.

I couldn't have imagined it then, but that phone call would mark the beginning of a decadelong adventure through scientific laboratories, hospitals, and mental institutions, with a cast of characters that would include Nobel laureates, grocery store clerks, convicted felons, and a professional con artist. While trying to make sense of the history of cell culture and the complicated ethical debate surrounding the use of human tissues in research, I'd be accused of conspiracy and slammed into a wall both physically and metaphorically, and I'd eventually find myself on the receiving end of something that looked a lot like an exorcism. I did eventually meet Deborah, who would turn out to be one of the strongest and most resilient women I'd ever known. We'd form a deep personal bond, and slowly, without realizing it, I'd become a character in her story, and she in mine.

Deborah and I came from very different cultures: I grew up white and agnostic in the Pacific Northwest, my roots half New York Jew and half Midwestern Protestant; Deborah was a deeply religious black Christian from the South. I tended to leave the room when religion came up in conversation because it made me uncomfortable; Deborah's family tended toward preaching, faith healings, and sometimes voodoo. She grew up in a black neighborhood that was one of the poorest and most dangerous in the country; I grew up in a safe, quiet middle-class neighborhood in a predominantly white city and went to high school with a total of two black students. I was a science journalist who referred to all things supernatural as "woo-woo stuff"; Deborah believed Henrietta's spirit lived on in her cells, controlling the life of anyone who crossed its paths. Including me.

"How else do you explain why your science teacher knew her real name when everyone else called her Helen Lane?" Deborah would say. "She was trying to get your attention." This thinking would apply to everything in my life: when I married while writing this book, it was because Henrietta wanted someone to take care of me while I worked. When I divorced, it was because she'd decided he was getting in the way of the book. When an editor who insisted I take the Lacks family out of the book was injured in a mysterious accident, Deborah said that's what happens when you piss Henrietta off.

The Lackses challenged everything I thought I knew about faith, science, journalism, and race. Ultimately, this book is the result. It's not only the story of HeLa cells and Henrietta Lacks, but of Henrietta's family — particularly Deborah — and their lifelong struggle to make peace with the existence of those cells, and the science that made them possible.

Excerpted from The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Copyright 2010 by Rebecca Skloot. Excerpted by permission of Crown, a division of Random House Inc. All rights reserved.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Imagine if someone secretly sent samples of your DNA to one of many companies that promise to tell you what your genes say about you. That report would list the good news (you’ll probably live to be 100) and the not-so-good news (you’ll most likely develop Alzheimer’s, bipolar disorder and maybe alcoholism). Now imagine they posted your genetic information online, with your name on it. Some people may not mind. But I assure you, many do: genetic information can be stigmatizing, and while it’s illegal for employers or health insurance providers to discriminate based on that information, this is not true for life insurance, disability coverage or long-term care.

“That is private family information,” said Jeri Lacks-Whye, Lacks’s granddaughter. “It shouldn’t have been published without our consent.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rlINobLQvlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tanks1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why has this not been made into a movie. One of the most incredible stories in the history of America.

I think the family just got some compensation.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why has this not been made into a movie. One of the most incredible stories in the history of America.

I think the family just got some compensation.

In 2010 Oprah was supposed to do it with Alan Ball for HBO.

don't understand how they didnt follow through.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
seems to me every member of her family should get a huge payout PLUS free healthcare in perpetuity.. considering how much money they made off her cells over the decades and don't think the pharmaceutical and research industry didn't make BILLIONS over te decades. :smh:

then they wonder why black people don't trust the medical community:angry:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
black people are the most studied of human race

and yet WHITE PEOPLE have not yet understood us

and we all know its because we are the best of all races and you cant compete with your creator.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
A Family Consents to a Medical Gift, 62 Years Later

08zimmer-span-articleLarge.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/s...y-is-asked-for-consent.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Henrietta Lacks was only 31 when she died of cervical cancer in 1951 in a Baltimore hospital. Not long before her death, doctors removed some of her tumor cells. They later discovered that the cells could thrive in a lab, a feat no human cells had achieved before.

Soon the cells, called HeLa cells, were being shipped from Baltimore around the world. In the 62 years since — twice as long as Ms. Lacks’s own life — her cells have been the subject of more than 74,000 studies, many of which have yielded profound insights into cell biology, vaccines, in vitro fertilization and cancer.

But Henrietta Lacks, who was poor, black and uneducated, never consented to her cells’ being studied. For 62 years, her family has been left out of the decision-making about that research. Now, over the past four months, the National Institutes of Health has come to an agreement with the Lacks family to grant them some control over how Henrietta Lacks’s genome is used.

“In 20 years at N.I.H., I can’t remember something like this,” Dr. Francis S. Collins, the institute’s director, said in an interview.

The agreement, which does not provide the family with the right to potential earnings from future research on Ms. Lacks’s genome, was prompted by two projects to sequence the genome of HeLa cells, the second of which was published Wednesday in the journal Nature.
Though the agreement, which was announced Wednesday, is a milestone in the saga of Ms. Lacks, it also draws attention to a lack of policies to balance the benefits of studying genomes with the risks to the privacy of people whose genomes are studied — as well as their relatives.

As the journalist Rebecca Skloot recounted in her 2010 best-seller, “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” it was not until 1973, when a scientist called to ask for blood samples to study the genes her children had inherited from her, that Ms. Lacks’s family learned that their mother’s cells were, in effect, scattered across the planet.

Some members of the family tried to find more information. Some wanted a portion of the profits that companies were earning from research on HeLa cells. They were largely ignored for years.

Ms. Lacks is survived by children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, many still living in or around Baltimore.

And this March they experienced an intense feeling of déjà vu.

Scientists at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory published the genome of a line of HeLa cells, making it publicly available for downloading. Another study, sponsored by the National Institutes of Health at the University of Washington, was about to be published in Nature. The Lacks family was made aware of neither project.

“I said, ‘No, this is not right,’ ” Jeri Lacks Whye, one of Henrietta Lacks’s grandchildren, said in an interview. “They should not have this up unless they have consent from the family.”

Officials at the National Institutes of Health now acknowledge that they should have contacted the Lacks family when researchers first applied for a grant to sequence the HeLa genome. They belatedly addressed the problem after the family raised its objections.

The European researchers took down their public data, and the publication of the University of Washington paper was stopped. Dr. Collins and Kathy L. Hudson, the National Institutes of Health deputy director for science, outreach and policy, made three trips to Baltimore to meet with the Lacks family to discuss the research and what to do about it.

“The biggest concern was privacy — what information was actually going to be out there about our grandmother, and what information they can obtain from her sequencing that will tell them about her children and grandchildren and going down the line,” Ms. Lacks Whye said.

The Lacks family and the N.I.H. settled on an agreement: the data from both studies should be stored in the institutes’ database of genotypes and phenotypes. Researchers who want to use the data can apply for access and will have to submit annual reports about their research. A so-called HeLa Genome Data Access working group at the N.I.H. will review the applications. Two members of the Lacks family will be members. The agreement does not provide the Lacks family with proceeds from any commercial products that may be developed from research on the HeLa genome.
With this agreement in place, the University of Washington researchers were then able to publish their results. Their analysis goes beyond the European study in several ways. Most important, they show precisely where each gene is situated in HeLa DNA.

A human genome is actually two genomes, each passed down from a parent. The two versions of a gene may be identical, or they may carry genetic variations setting them apart.

“If you think of the variations as beads on a string, you really have two strings,” said Dr. Jay Shendure, who led the Washington genome study. “The way we sequence genomes today, for the most part we just get a list of where the genes are located, but no information about which ones are on which string.”

Dr. Shendure and his colleagues have developed new methods that allow them to gather that information. By reconstructing both strings of the HeLa genome, they could better understand how Ms. Lacks’s healthy cells had been transformed over the past 60 years.

For example, they could see how Ms. Lacks got cancer. Cervical cancer is caused by human papillomavirus infections. The virus accelerates the growth of infected cells, which may go on to become tumors.

Dr. Shendure and his colleagues discovered the DNA of a human papillomavirus embedded in Ms. Lacks’s genome. By landing at a particular spot, Ms. Lacks’s virus may have given her cancer cells their remarkable endurance.

“That’s one of the frequent questions that I and the Lacks family get whenever we talk about this stuff,” Ms. Skloot said. “The answer was always, ‘We don’t know.’ Now, there’s at least somewhat of an answer: because it happened to land right there.”

Richard Sharp, the director of biomedical ethics at the Mayo Clinic, said he thought the agreement “was pretty well handled.” But he warned that it was only a “one-off solution,” rather than a broad policy to address the tension between genome research and the privacy of relatives, now that recent research has demonstrated that it is possible to reveal a person’s identity through sequencing.
Dr. Sharp considered it impractical to set up a working group of scientists and relatives for every genome with these issues. “There’s absolutely a need for a new policy,” he said.

Eric S. Lander, the founding director of the Broad Institute, a science research center at Harvard and M.I.T., said resolving these issues was crucial to taking advantage of the knowledge hidden in our genomes.

“If we are going to solve cancer, it’s going to take a movement of tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of patients willing to contribute information from their cancer genomes towards a common good,” Dr. Lander said. “We are going to need to have ways to have patients feel comfortable doing that. We can’t do it without a foundation of respect and trust.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NIH finally makes good with Henrietta Lacks' family -- and it's about time, ethicist says

6c8551533-130807-henrietta-lacks-126p.nbcnews-ux-640-480.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ietta-lacks-family-its-about-time-f6C10867941

Over the past six decades, huge medical advances have sprung from the cells of Henrietta Lacks, a poor, African-American mother of five who died in 1951 of cervical cancer. But Lacks never agreed that the cells from a biopsy before her death taken could be used for research. For years, her own family had no idea that her cells were still alive in petri dishes in scientists' labs. They eventually learned they had fueled a line called HeLa cells, which have generated billions of dollars, but they didn't realize until this spring that her genome had been sequenced and made public for anyone to see.

On Tuesday, the National Institute of Health announced it was, at long last, making good with Lacks' family. Under a new agreement, Lack's genome data will be accessible only to those who apply for and are granted permission. And two representatives of the Lacks family will serve on the NIH group responsible for reviewing biomedical researchers’ applications for controlled access to HeLa cells. Additionally, any researcher who uses that data will be asked to include an acknowledgement to the Lacks family in their publications.

The new understanding between the NIH and the Lacks family does not include any financial compensation for the family.

The Lacks family hasn’t, and won’t, see a dime of the profits that came from the findings generated by HeLa cells. But this is a moral and ethical victory for a family long excluded from any acknowledgment and involvement in genetic research their matriarch made possible.

It took more than 60 years, but ethics has finally caught up to a particularly fast-moving area of science: taking tissue samples for genetic research. Thanks to the efforts of a dogged journalist, some very thoughtful science leaders in Europe and the U.S., and an ordinary family willing to learn about a complex subject and then to do the right thing to help you and me and our descendants, a long-standing wrong has now been fixed.

The news of the day is that the analysis of the genetic makeup of HeLa cells, the most useful cells used in all of biomedical research, has been completed. But the real news here is that medicine and science have finally done right by the person from whom those cells were taken—Henrietta Lacks.

Lacks’ story was made famous in 2010 after publication of Rebecca Skloot’s award-winning book, “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” which stayed on The New York Times best-seller list for two years.

The book chronicled how before Lacks died died, a research team at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore led by George Otto Gey took a sample of tissue from her cervix. He found he was able to grow them in dishes outside the human body. This was a major research breakthrough: having an immortal cell line gave researchers a crucial new tool against disease. Indeed, the first benefits from HeLa cells came in their use by Jonas Salk in developing the first vaccine against polio. Subsequently, scientists went on to use the cells in many experiments. More than 60,000 articles have appeared based on HeLa cell research including cancer and AIDS and even in developing vaccines for dogs, cats and other animals.

The downside of this story is that no one said anything to Lacks herself about taking her cells -- nor did anyone get permission from her family. And as the years went by, and some people began to make money from the cells no one ever revealed this to Henrietta’s descendants, as is told in Skloot’s wonderful book. But that failure has now been fixed.

After a team of scientists from Europe at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory published the genetic makeup of HeLa cells in March, Lacks’ grandchildren contacted the European Lab and asked that they withdraw the paper. They were concerned that personal medical information about their family could be deduced by anyone who had the full genome map in their possession.

The European group pulled the paper and apologized to the Lacks family for putting their privacy at risk. Following that, Skloot and the Lacks family worked with NIH Director Francis S. Collins and NIH Deputy Director for Science, Outreach, and Policy Kathy L. Hudson to set up three meetings in Baltimore, along with scientists and ethicists from Johns Hopkins to talk about how to proceed with publishing information about the genetic makeup of HeLa cells.

Skloot, who listened in on the meetings by phone, said she knew that a historic moment was occurring. “It was a big moment, a hopeful moment, sitting down with the family and bringing so many years of research without consent to an end,” she said.

The family was excited that getting the genetic map of HeLa cells out to the research community could potentially help make even more advancements to human health.

But, they also, according to Skloot, wanted to know if their privacy would be put at risk if the genome information was public. Would anyone try to patent the information? And would anyone make money by publishing their subsequent research?​

Each question was resolved. An arrangement was made with the family’s consent not to put the entire genome into papers or online to help protect their privacy -- instead, access to the full genome would be limited to researchers.

No family member ever said they expected money, but right in the middle of the meetings, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that naturally occurring genes could not be patented, making the issue of compensation much less important.

Hudson told me that she and Collins had, “an amazing experience getting to know several members of the Lacks family and to work through these challenges with them. The contributions of HeLa cells to so many areas of biology and medicine should be a source of great pride [to the family] and the availability of the sequence will continue to add to that legacy. If you think about all the acknowledgements we make in scientific papers to the folks who have helped advance our research, it is certainly fitting to express gratitude to Henrietta and her family for what they have done for biology.”

And in reaching this sound moral solution, 62 years of mistreating and ignoring a woman and her family who unknowingly helped so many live better lives have finally come to an end.

Today, consent is routinely sought today for taking tissue samples. The issue of privacy and how to protect it must now be added to that consent.

Acknowledging the contributions achieved by gifts from those who will donate seems a sound policy. And discussions of commercialization, while less pressing due to the Supreme Court ruling barring patents, still ought to be part of informed consent going forward.

Henrietta Lacks allowed medicine to make great strides in the struggle against illness and premature death. Six decades later, her descendants have allowed ethics to make a great stride as well.

Arthur Caplan, Ph.D., is the head of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
^^^
Interesting when THEY talk about right and just after egregiously violating our rights, compensation is never an option.

dime bag

Rising Star
Registered
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JGurfATvYJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nowayhozay101

Most of you niggas are dumb sheep.
Registered
Ummmm she has more cac in her than black. Couldn't you find someone who actually looked black to honor?

HALO2

CONNOISSEUR OF FINE WOMEN
Registered
Studied her a lot in school. Read her book in my spare time. Great woman and a fascinating story.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/oprah-the-immortal-life-of-henrietta-lacks-hbo-films-1201764466/

Oprah to Star in HBO Films’ ‘The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’

Oprah Winfrey will star in “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” which has been greenlit by HBOFilms.

The premium cabler made the announcement on Monday.

Based on Rebecca Skloot’s best-seller, Winfrey will also serve as an exec producer on the film, along with Alan Ball, Peter Macdissi, Carla Gardini and Lydia Dean Pilcher. Skloot will serve as a co-exec producer. George C. Wolfe will direct and wrote the screenplay.

The project has been in the works for years. First announced in 2010 when Winfrey’s Harpo Films acquired the book rights, the media mogul was attached to produce, alongside Ball, for HBO Films. The project has sat in development, but now with Winfrey attached to star, has been put on the fast-track with filming beginning this summer.

“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” tells the true story of Henrietta Lacks, an African-American woman whose cells were used to create the first immortal human cell line. Told through the eyes of her daughter, Deborah Lacks, played by Winfrey, the film chronicles her search to learn about the mother she never knew and to understand how the unauthorized harvesting of Lacks’ cancerous cells in 1951 led to unprecedented medical breakthroughs, changing countless lives and the face of medicine forever.

Henrietta Lacks’ sons Zakariyya Rahman and David Lacks, Jr. and granddaughter Jeri Lacksare will serve as consultants on the HBO project.

Winfrey’s Harpo Films, Ball’s Your Face Goes Here Entertainment and Pilcher’s Cine Mosaic will produce.

No premiere date has been announced.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.latimes.com/books/jacket...acks-movie-rebecca-skloot-20160503-story.html

Oprah Winfrey will star in 'Henrietta Lacks' movie, but who will play Rebecca Skloot?

When it was announced this week that Oprah Winfrey will star in the film adaptation of Rebecca Skloot's "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," much of the Internet could barely contain its glee.

The news, first reported by Deadline, was particularly sweet to fans of Skloot's 2010 book about Lacks, an African American woman whose cells were taken without her knowledge while she was being treated for cervical cancer at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1951; she died shortly thereafter.

Lacks' cell line, known to scientists and biology students everywhere as HeLa, was the first -- and for decades the only -- set of human cells that could reproduce over and over in a lab environment, like a petri dish.

HeLa cells became a vital tool for scientists and doctors, who used them to research diseases such as polio, cancer and AIDS.

As Skloot explained in her book, despite the many scientific advances made because of her cells, Lacks' family wasn't notified of their use, nor were they compensated for it. Part of this was due to scientific assumptions at the time, and later, when the family did hear from scientists and journalists, they were alarmed and concerned.

Jane Smiley on Geoff Dyer: hard to take but worth the attempt

It was in this environment that Skloot endeavored to reach the family and understand their story, and became friends with Lacks' adult daughter Deborah.

Winfrey will play Deborah in the HBO film, and two of Henrietta Lacks' sons, and one of her granddaughters, will consult on the movie.

But who will play Skloot? When the author solicited unofficial suggestions on Twitter, and received quite a few. Skloot's followers nominated Tatiana Maslany, Anna Kendrick, Emma Stone, Aubrey Plaza, Rachel McAdams and Skloot herself ("No chance," responded Skloot).

The filmmakers could look to other films that have featured actresses playing the writers their movies were based on. Most recently, Reese Witherspoon starred as Cheryl Strayed in the 2014 film adaptation of Strayed's memoir "Wild." Witherspoon was nominated for an Academy Award for her portrayal.

Director Michael Winterbottom looked to Angelina Jolie to play Mariane Pearl in the 2007 film version of "A Mighty Heart," based on Pearl's memoir about the kidnapping and murder of her husband, Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. Jolie received widespread praise and a Golden Globe nomination for her performance.

Winona Ryder was given good reviews for her role as Susanna Kaysen in "Girl, Interrupted," the 1999 film based on Kaysen's memoir about her 18-month stay in a psychiatric hospital. It was Jolie, however, who stole the movie with her Academy Award-winning role as another patient in the hospital.

Similarly themed, but much less successful with critics, was the 2001 adaptation of Elizabeth Wurtzel's "Prozac Nation," which featured Christina Ricci as the author. Ricci's performance was praised by some critics, but the movie received generally negative reviews.

Perhaps the oddest performance of a writer in a film based on her book was Meryl Streep in "Adaptation," the 2002 movie (kind of) based on Susan Orlean's "The Orchid Thief." The film is about screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's attempt to write a screenplay based on Orlean's book; Meryl Streep plays a fictionalized version of Orlean as a drug-using borderline sociopath who sleeps with the subject of her book and tries (unsuccessfully) to murder Kaufman.

There's still time to cast Rebecca Skloot. The film, which will be written and directed by George C. Wolfe, is scheduled to begin shooting this summer.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rose Byrne to Play Author Rebecca Skloot in HBO’s Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, in What Is Surely the Best Day of Rebecca Skloot’s Life

15-rose-byrne.w529.h529.jpg

If someone made a TV movie about your most impressive professional accomplishment, who would they get to play you? (I'd hope for Thomas Middleditch, but would probably end up with Chris Marquette.) Luckily for acclaimed science writer Rebecca Skloot, she doesn't have to wonder anymore, as THR reports that Rose Byrne has signed on to play Skloot in the HBO adaptation of her best-selling book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. That's pretty much the best you can hope for! The book tells the story of Lacks, a black woman whose cancer cells were harvested without her consent in 1951 and used as the basis for decades of medical research. Oprah Winfrey will play Lacks's daughter Deborah, who teamed up with Skloot to explore her mother's legacy. Two of Lacks's sons and one of her granddaughters are acting as consultants on the film; with any luck, they'll be played by Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, and Tessa Thompson.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
http://deadline.com/2016/07/renee-e...-of-henrietta-lacks-oprah-winfrey-1201792421/

Renée Elise Goldsberry Cast In HBO Films’ ‘The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks’

Life Of Henrietta Lacks’
renee-elise-goldsberry.jpg

Tony-winning Hamilton star Renée Elise Goldsberry has been cast in the title role opposite Oprah Winfrey in HBO Films’ The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Goldsberry will play Henrietta Lacks, an African-American woman whose cells were used to create the first immortal human cell line. Told through the eyes of her daughter, Deborah Lacks (Winfrey), the film chronicles her search to learn about the mother she never knew and to understand how the unauthorized harvesting of Lacks’ cancerous cells in 1951 led to unprecedented medical breakthroughs, changing countless lives and the face of medicine forever. It’s a story of medical arrogance and triumph, race, poverty and deep friendship between the unlikeliest of people.

Veteran Broadway director-producer George C. Wolfe (HBO’s Lackawanna Blues; Tony winner for Angels In America) wrote the adaptation and will direct. Winfrey and Carla Gardini executive produce through Harpo Films, Alan Ball and Peter MacDissi exec produce through Your Face Goes Here Entertainment and Lydia Dean Pilcher exec produces through Cine Mosaic Productions. Skloot is co-executive producer. Henrietta Lacks’ sons David Lacks, Jr. and Zakariyya Rahman; her granddaughter Jeri Lacks; and her grandchildren Alfred Carter Jr. and LaTonya Carter are consultants on the project.

Goldsberry recently won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical for her role as Angelica Schuyler in Broadway’s mega-hit Hamilton. Her other Broadway credits include Rent, The Color Purple, The Lion King, and Good People. She also is known for her role as Geneva Pine on The Good Wife and Evangeline Williamson from ABC’s One Life to Live which earned her two Daytime Emmy nominations. She recently signed on for Netflix sci-fi drama Altered Carbon. Goldsberry is repped by Innovative Artists and Sweet 180.

stretchwallz

Superstar ***
BGOL Legend
They used our sister like a lab rat, and with Oprah's help they'll make a film that has a white hero

Smh ...her story details the malevolence of white America

leonartist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
amazing story and finally gonna get some shine, odd twist tho, she married her first cousin and had a couple kids.