Bill Cosby faces new sexual assault lawsuits after states extend statutes of limitations- 9 WOMEN FILE NEW SEXUAL ASSAULT LAWSUIT IN NEVADA

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
RICHARD.gif

Former Playboy model Victoria Valentino has publicly accused Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1969, and accusers in Nevada plan legal action thanks to "look back window" laws.

180925-victoria-valentino-ew-428p-799c31.jpg

Bill Cosby accuser Victoria Valentino at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Pennsylvania on Sept. 25, 2018.

Bill Cosby faces new lawsuits from women who have accused him of sexual misconduct decades ago, brought about by states’ passing laws that expand the window for sexual abuse accusers to take action.

Victoria Valentino, a former Playboy model who has publicly accused Cosby of drugging her and raping her in 1969, sued him Thursday, now that California legislators have temporarily allowed sexual abuse lawsuits in cases that exceed the 10-year statute of limitations.

Valentino, 80, says she never thought when she came forward that she would ever see any form of tangible justice in her case.

“No matter how much of a settlement comes out of this, and if, you know, if nothing comes out of it, it doesn’t matter, because it will never replace what was taken from me,” Valentino said.

All details Valentino shared to NBC News about the alleged incident are also in the lawsuit.

She said she met Cosby in 1969 when she went for an audition after her 6-year-old son died. She said she remembers telling Cosby about the death, a drowning, but didn’t hear from him again until she and her roommate ran into him at Café Figaro in Los Angeles.

“I was surprised, but he saw me sitting there crying, because I was having a hell of a day,” she said, referring to her grief over her son.

Cosby offered to pay for a spa for her and her roommate, Valentino said, and offered to take them to dinner afterward. She said that she didn’t want to go but that it appeared that Cosby, who had just starred in the hit show “I Spy,” seemed sincere in his offer.

“We weren’t looking for a date, but, you know, when the big star of this popular television series is offering to reach out to you seemingly in sympathy, you know, you kind of can’t turn it down,” she said.

At dinner, Cosby offered her and her roommate a pill and said it would make them “all feel better,” Valentino said. She said that she believes he faked taking his own pill and that he put a second one directly in her and her roommate’s mouths.

They began to feel unwell and asked to go home, Valentino said. But instead of driving them home, she said, Cosby took them to a townhome where he said he wanted to show them his “I Spy” awards. Valentino said she thinks she must have passed out after Cosby got them out of the car, because, she said, she woke up in a room with Cosby sitting by her roommate.

“He looked like he was getting ready to pounce on a little mouse,” she said. “And then I saw a bulge in his pants, and I knew he was going to rape her while she was unconscious. I just felt very protective of her, and I tried to distract him.”

She said that she began grasping at Cosby, who was out of her reach, and that she couldn’t quite form words in her state. Cosby then came over to her, she said, seemingly angry at her attempts to stop him.

Valentino said that when she stood up, she immediately felt her legs collapse beneath her and ended up kneeling in front of Cosby, who was on a love seat. Cosby then orally and vaginally raped her, according to her retelling and her lawsuit.

Andrew Wyatt, Cosby’s spokesperson, accused Valentino in a statement Thursday of having no “proof or facts” and of going from “town to town” with her allegations. He also alleged that the legislation that allowed her suit was a violation of Cosby’s constitutional rights. Cosby has consistently denied all allegations of sexual misconduct.

“What graveyard can Mr. Cosby visit, in order to dig up potential witnesses to testify on his behalf?” Wyatt said. “America is continuing to see that this a formula to make sure that no more Black Men in America accumulate the American Dream that was secured by Mr. Cosby.”

Valentino pushed back against accusations that the allegations against Cosby, whom 60 women have accused of sexual abuse, had anything to do with his being Black.

“Andrew Wyatt has tried to make it seem as though it’s about race, but it’s not about race,” she said, adding that Cosby “was an equal opportunity rapist and probably the most prolific serial rapist of the 20th century. This is about rape, not race.”

Cosby was convicted in Pennsylvania on three felony counts of aggravated indecent assault in 2018, charged with drugging and assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004. The case was overturned in 2021. The state Supreme Court vacated the sentence, finding that he was denied protection against self-incrimination.

Cosby has no criminal convictions.

‘Look back window' laws and possible lawsuits in Nevada​

Valentino’s lawsuit was filed under a new California law that created a window of time in which adult victims of sexual assault can file for civil damages even if the statute of limitations has expired. The law expanded previous legislation that extended the statute of limitations for minors alleging sexual abuse.

Valentino said she was absolutely stunned when she learned about the change that would allow her to face Cosby in court. She also said she knew she had to see her allegations through.

“There is no statute of limitations on murder, and rape is a murder of the soul,” Valentino said. “It’s a life sentence for the victim, so why should the rapist get any less? It’s time for a reckoning.”

Similar measures, referred to as “look back windows,” have passed in New York and New Jersey. Five women sued Cosby in New York in December, accusing him of sexual assault, which his representatives have denied.

Cosby was also found civilly liable last year of molesting Judy Huth at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 1975, when she was 16 years old; his attorneys called her a liar.

Nevada passed a law, SB129, which was signed Wednesday, eliminating the civil statute of limitations in sexual abuse cases involving adults, a substantial change to the previous two-year limit. The change is also likely to bring forth more legal challenges for Cosby, as accuser Lise-Lotte Lublin is a Nevada resident.

Lublin has publicly accused Cosby of drugging her at a hotel in Las Vegas in 1989. Her husband, Benjamin Lublin, said that he was told about the incident when they started dating 23 years ago but that they both saw the situation in a new light after Janice Dickinson came forward accusing Cosby of assault.

His wife decided to file a police report in 2014.

“I had to sit outside, and when she came out, she was crying,” Lublin said. “I asked her, ‘Well, what’s wrong?’ And she said they can’t do anything. ... And the detective turned to me and said it’s because of the statute of limitations. I said, ‘What the hell is the statute of limitations?’”

The couple, both born and raised in Nevada, have spent years supporting legislation to expand statutes of limitations in their state. When a similar version of SB129 failed to pass in 2019, Lublin said, they almost gave up.

But then the couple went to support Huth in her California case, he said.

“I saw Judy in the court with Lise, and we both saw how strong she was and how she was fighting, you know, to seek justice,” Lublin said. “That re-energized us. ... Because once I saw that, if this was possible in California, then it is possible in Nevada.”

Nevada state Sen. Lisa Krasner, a primary sponsor of SB129, said she was motivated to make sure victims and survivors of sexual assault could seek justice. The bill, which passed unanimously in the state Senate, would allow people time to come to terms with what happened to them and seek justice, Krasner said.

“They still have to go in front of a courtroom, in front of a judge and a jury of their peers,” Krasner said. “They still have to have evidence. They still have to prove their case. So there’s a lot of hurdles they must cross, but it keeps the courtroom doors open so that they have the ability to bring their case if they want to.”

It’s important that lawmakers work to ensure people feel they are able to seek justice, Krasner said.

Asked about the Nevada law and the possibility of another suit against Cosby, Wyatt said it was “interesting” that such laws were being passed in the states where Cosby’s accusers lived.

“Mr. Cosby is a citizen of these United States, but these judges and lawmakers are consistently allowing these civil suits to flood their dockets — knowing that these women are not fighting for victims — but for their addiction to massive amounts of media attention and greed,” Wyatt said. Cosby has denied Lublin’s allegations.

Lublin said he and his wife have spoken to an attorney about a future suit against Cosby, as well as reached out to fellow Cosby accusers who might have interest in a civil case. He also supported Valentino, whom he called a friend, in her case in California.

Lublin described his wife and the other women who have come forward as warriors.

“This is personal, because this happened to my wife, and we’ve been seeking justice for so many years because of Cosby,” Lublin said. “And this is personal because for decades upon decades upon decades in Nevada, Bill Cosby has hid behind the statute of limitations. And that day is over, and we’re coming for him.”

Last edited:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
they just want to take money from Cos and give it to cacs...

they dont want kniggas having any Legacy... I hope he

has trusts for his children....

this shit is just retarded now, that ol ex casting couch

ho does NOT look like she was traumatized...

and how they going after Bill and NOT HUGH HEFFNERS estate,

that muthafucka was the Final Boss to all the rapey things that

happend in that era!!

This is just a Knigga shake down, but BIll bought that energy on himself,

By going after his own people and demonizing us for pats on the back from his bougie

ilk and cacs... I dont like whats happening to The Coz but I understand Why its happening..

He went waaay to far with his misplaced criticism on his disenfranchised people.....

and Im just gonna leave it at that....

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well let's keep going back then..all of these black people that were raped by whites in any decade. They have raped our women, men and children. Let's begin with Thomas Jefferson and come on down to Strom Thurman and throw in Elizabeth holmes for good measure.
I know right!!

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
Bill really fucked up cozying up with so many white women.
The judicial system is amending and changing laws because white women tears demand justice punishment for not inheriting financial gains from sleeping with a Black man.

This fucking country!

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
Bill really fucked up cozying up with so many white women.
The judicial system is amending and changing laws because white women tears demand justice punishment for not inheriting financial gains from sleeping with a Black man.

This fucking country!

As a black men, the easiest thing to do is make it a black man vs white women issue and side completely with the black man.

Hello, I'm sure that's what white people are doing - siding with the white women. I'm sure.

This is my point: Black male celebs have been digging out white women for a long time.

Shit, think about the boxer Jackson Johnson. Dude was FLAGRANT with white women. During that time, for him to do what he did, you would've thought they could've easily flipped all of those white women against him to bring him down. It didn't go down like that.

Back to my original point - black men of fame and means have been with countless white women throughout the years, yet how many black men have LEGIONS of white women accusing them them of sex-based crimes? Kobe had one accusation. I honestly expected, after he died, for a bunch of women to come and try to milk the estate for all they could get .... but nope.

All I'm saying, it's easy to dismiss these women as lying bitches - i.e. I don't think it'd be unfair to call them opportunistic, though - but I have to pretend that this isn't a highly unusual situation. White women or not, you ain't seeing no other brothas dealing with this shit.

Then Cosby is on public record talking about slipping women shit.

I don't know, bruh. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that this may be the chicken's coming home on Cosby.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Country is becoming a fucking joke thanks to weirdos. Only in a feminist activist mind could accusations from decades ago be proven via hearsay. :smh:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Maybe Bill should have taken his own advice when he was doing his pull your pants up tours.
Nah.. he was right. And anyone offended was a bitch. Same clowns he told pull they pants up birthed these drill rap and hood idiots thats destroying the community now.

Sick of you suckas bringing this shit up every time some white bitch sue this nigga on some trumped up bullshit rape claim from the the 60's.

Long Live Bill Cosby.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah.. he was right. And anyone offended was a bitch. Same clowns he told pull they pants up birthed these drill rap and hood idiots thats destroying the community now.

Sick of you suckas bringing this shit up every time some white bitch sue this nigga on some trumped up bullshit rape claim from the the 60's.

Long Live Bill Cosby.
Tired of folks apologizing for this dumb shit. Plenty of folks have ran through hoes with no issues and are enjoying the good life and ain't no one coming after them. They knew the game and played it correctly.

Face it, Cosby was a fuck up and got got.

At the end of the day, this dumb clown was no better than the people he chastised.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
They knew the game and played it correctly.
They didnt know shit you country fried coon. Cos was victimized by white supremacist actors and had rules changed mid game in order to target and character assassinate a successful Black man.
Face it, Cosby was a fuck up and got got.

At the end of the day, this dumb clown was no better than the people he chastised.
The fuck ups were the ones he chastised. And only a handkerchief head knee grow would compare a lecture from an elder to a public lynching and incarceration of an innocent Black man. Nigga killl yoself.

dinka64

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As a black men, the easiest thing to do is make it a black man vs white women issue and side completely with the black man.

Hello, I'm sure that's what white people are doing - siding with the white women. I'm sure.

This is my point: Black male celebs have been digging out white women for a long time.

Shit, think about the boxer Jackson Johnson. Dude was FLAGRANT with white women. During that time, for him to do what he did, you would've thought they could've easily flipped all of those white women against him to bring him down. It didn't go down like that.

Back to my original point - black men of fame and means have been with countless white women throughout the years, yet how many black men have LEGIONS of white women accusing them them of sex-based crimes? Kobe had one accusation. I honestly expected, after he died, for a bunch of women to come and try to milk the estate for all they could get .... but nope.

All I'm saying, it's easy to dismiss these women as lying bitches - i.e. I don't think it'd be unfair to call them opportunistic, though - but I have to pretend that this isn't a highly unusual situation. White women or not, you ain't seeing no other brothas dealing with this shit.

Then Cosby is on public record talking about slipping women shit.

I don't know, bruh. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that this may be the chicken's coming home on Cosby.
I absolutely disagree.

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
I absolutely disagree.

Cuz, I mean, I said all of that and you're not going to at least explain why you disagree?

I laid out why I feel the way I feel, right or wrong. Shit, I don't have the answers. I wasn't there for any of it. That means, Bill could be guilty of all of it, none of it, or some of it. How the fuck would I know? That being said, at least state your case if you're gonna quote mine.

Kaotic

Dancing with the devil in the pale moon light...
Platinum Member
they just want to take money from Cos and give it to cacs...

they dont want kniggas having any Legacy... I hope he

has trusts for his children....

this shit is just retarded now, that ol ex casting couch

ho does NOT look like she was traumatized...

and how they going after Bill and NOT HUGH HEFFNERS estate,

that muthafucka was the Final Boss to all the rapey things that

happend in that era!!

This is just a Knigga shake down, but BIll bought that energy on himself,

By going after his own people and demonizing us for pats on the back from his bougie

ilk and cacs... I dont like whats happening to The Coz but I understand Why its happening..

He went waaay to far with his misplaced criticism on his disenfranchised people.....

and Im just gonna leave it at that....
This right here "and how they going after Bill and NOT HUGH HEFFNERS estate,"...

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Long Live Bill Cosby.
Nah Cosby went too far bruh...talking about Names.. I know couple of Shaniquas that are doing fuckin

excellent financially... some Mohammeds that are killin the game.. bruh he shitted on the Name Muhammed,

one of the greatest boxers EVER, and Bill shitted on that name because he was overdosing on that bougie boule shit

and it came back to bite him in the ass..

His daughter passed away early RIP to sis..... so Im not going to go into that... but he is threw stones from a glass house..

Personally I KNOW what it was.. on that level... you gonna make some sacrifices.. but bill dont know,

they are tryin to stop his legacy.. by insuring most of his money goes to THEIR communities and NOT his...

shit is chess..

and we up here playing fuckin JACKS!!

dont worry tho.. keep reading my post..

I put kniggas up on whats really going down...

cosby is being attacked because his wealth couldve build nations,

thats why they cut off them Cosby show residuals... they dont want

kniggas coming up!!!

and Cosby although he was a real knigga, he got too close to them demons..

and them demons got him hooked... hugh heffener was the real faggot taking
advantage of them young wanna be hollywood star hoes...

How they let hugh heffner slide and going after cosby is pure

racist bullshit, to ensure there are no

"black Messiahs" coming up from our community..

is still alive, the attack on The Cos is proof...

Cointel PRO is still in effect!!!

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
They railroaded the hell out of him in Pennsylvania - his home state, by the way - he just better stay out of Nevada. No lost wages bag for him.

But this shit is beyond ridiculous. What are the odds that 50 women miraculously remembered the same exact scenario within days of each other for something that happened over 50 years ago?
Plus, at the time pussy was flying free in the Playboy mansion. That shit was Plato's Retreat West. I find it hard to believe he had to drug or rape anybody. Especially being an A-list star. Fucking Z-list stars were getting served no prob.

Nah, they got it out for Cos.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This article was published more than 6 years ago
Style
The forgotten story of when Bill Cosby’s daughter accused Mike Tyson of rape
By Manuel Roig-Franzia
July 6, 2016 at 4:35 p.m. EDT

The accused is one of the world's most famous men.

The accuser — a woman who says she was groped and sexually assaulted — isn’t the only one making lurid allegations.
Get the full experience.Choose your plan

The tabloids are in a tizzy.

This could be the story of Bill Cosby, circa 2016.

It’s not.

It’s the long-forgotten story of Bill Cosby’s daughter Erinn, circa 1989, when she accused famed boxer Mike Tyson of sexual assault. This is what happened when the roles, in a sense, were reversed. It was an episode when the legendary comedian — who has now been accused of rape, sexual assault or sexual harassment by more than 50 women over four decades — played an active and complicated role in the accuser’s camp in a sexually charged he-said, she-said battle.

Bill Cosby has aggressively defended himself against sexual assault allegations, suing some of his accusers and seeking to damage their credibility as a criminal sexual assault trial looms in Pennsylvania. But when his own daughter, then 23, was the one making the accusations, he took a decidedly less confrontational approach and, in the process, gave a hint of his attitudes toward sexual misdeeds and their consequences.

No criminal charges were sought against Tyson, who would later be convicted of raping another woman. Instead, Bill Cosby insisted, through his attorneys, that Tyson seek counseling. It was an approach that would strain an already troubled relationship with his daughter, according to her former attorney.

“He played more of a conciliatory role. She thought he should have handled it more like a father-daughter than like a politician or celebrity,” said Louis J. Terminello, who was Erinn Cosby’s attorney when the allegations became public, in an interview. “I don’t think he quite looked at it that way.”

A spokesman for Bill Cosby declined to comment. Tyson, who denied Erinn Cosby’s allegations, did not respond to an interview request. The comedian has denied sexually assaulting women.

The Tyson melodrama traces back to 1989. But Erinn Cosby would not speak about it publicly until three years later, when she said an ex-boyfriend was threatening to leak the story to the tabloids.

Erinn Cosby, who did not respond to emails or a voice message, outlined the accusations in detail in interviews with The Washington Post in 1992 and several other media outlets, including Phil Donahue’s popular daytime show. In those interviews, she said she and a friend met the boxing champion and another man at a Manhattan nightclub in November 1989. They decided to leave the club together to find a place to talk. Erinn Cosby recounted that they piled into Tyson’s car and headed out without a particular destination.

When the car turned toward New Jersey, Erinn Cosby asked where they were going. Tyson, whose marriage to actress Robin Givens had ended amid allegations of spousal abuse the year before, told Erinn Cosby that they were going to a party at his estate.

On the way, Erinn Cosby claimed, Tyson kept returning to the same theme: Bill Cosby.

“He was very concerned about how my father felt about him,” Erinn Cosby later told a live studio audience on “The Donahue Show.”

“And I said, you know, ‘Everything is fine . . . My dad supports your fights.’ And he was very happy about that.”

In the car that night, Erinn Cosby became a bridge between two of the most recognizable men on earth. Cosby was at the height of his fame as the star of “The Cosby Show” and was pulling in $4 million a month in syndication revenue, according to a Forbes estimate. Tyson was the heavyweight champion of the world, a ferocious brawler who’d earned tens of millions of dollars after becoming the youngest heavyweight titleholder in history.

When Tyson, also 23, and Erinn Cosby arrived at his home, she said she saw cars out front and assumed that there was a crowd gathering for the party. But inside, the house was nearly empty. The scenario was not unlike the scenes recounted decades later by women who accused her father of inviting them to parties at his home, only to arrive to find almost no one there.

At 78, Bill Cosby’s life is a blur of legal minutiae, lawyers and judges

On that night in New Jersey, Erinn Cosby says, Tyson gave her a tour. When they got to the trophy room, she told interviewers, the boxer locked the door. Then he was all over her, she alleged, pinning her to the floor and groping her until a member of the household staff heard her screams and knocked on the door, giving her an opportunity to flee.

When Erinn Cosby told her father, the comedian’s attorneys got in touch with Tyson’s representatives and insisted that he attend psychiatric counseling, she said on “Donahue.” A recent Bill Cosby biography says the comedian also insisted that his daughter, who had developed a cocaine habit, attend therapy sessions. Erinn Cosby has given a slightly different account, saying that she had decided to enter drug treatment on her own.

Erinn Cosby wasn’t happy with her father’s somewhat clinical response to her story. During her “Donahue” appearance, she was asked why she didn’t question her father’s management of the crisis.

“Well, because, at that time, you know, with my own emotions and everything, I really felt that he would handle it,” she told the audience.

Two weeks after the alleged incident, she said, she ran into Tyson at the same nightclub where they’d met on the night of the alleged assault. She says he screamed at her: “How dare you tell your parents? I have to go to therapy for a year.”

“I was scared,” Erinn Cosby recalled in the Post interview.

In his autobiography, "Undisputed Truth," Tyson does not mention Erinn Cosby or the purported demand that he seek counseling. But he does say that, at the urging of boxing promoter Don King, he attended a therapy session with psychiatrist Alvin Poussaint, a friend and co-author of Bill Cosby's whom Tyson described as "Bill Cosby's guy."

“Poussaint asked me what my problem was and I started saying crazy s--t to him. . . . He ran out the house and never came back.”

The Tyson sexual assault allegations were initially kept out of the media. But the tensions in the Cosby family were about to get a huge public airing. The month after his daughter says she was sexually assaulted, Bill Cosby made blistering remarks about her in an extended interview with the Los Angeles Times.

The article doesn’t mention the sexual assault allegation, but it does call into question Erinn Cosby’s character and maturity, with the father labeling her as “very selfish.”

“She’s not a person you can trust,” Cosby said. “Right now we’re estranged. She can’t come here . . . You think you’re not a good parent because you don’t answer the call. But you can’t let the kid use you.”

The same year that Bill Cosby was navigating his daughter’s sexual assault allegations, several women say he was engaged in inappropriate sexual contact with them. An aspiring teenage model and actress, Jennifer “Kaya” Thompson, says she went to New York that year to confront him about an alleged sexual assault the previous year. Cosby has acknowledged sexual contact with Thompson but has said it was consensual. Another woman, Lise-Lotte Lublin, has alleged that she blacked out after Cosby drugged her drink that year in a Las Vegas hotel suite, and an actress named Eden Tirl has said the comedian sexually harassed her by propositioning her while she was appearing on his television show.

The surprising reason a Bill Cosby accuser is withdrawing her lawsuit
View Graphic
Who are the women accusing Bill Cosby?

Erinn Cosby says she went public after learning in 1992 that a former boyfriend was trying to sell the story of her sexual assault allegations against Tyson to the tabloids. She responded by producing a videotape outlining her allegations in hopes that its existence would lessen the value of any story that her ex-boyfriend was peddling.

“She was really bothered by the fact that somebody tried to take advantage of her celebrity status,” said Terminello, her former attorney.

She agreed to appear on several television programs, including “The Donahue Show.” News of her scheduled appearance, and the basic outline of her allegations, turned up in mainstream media reports in April 1992 — the same week her father’s long run as a television father figure came to an end with the airing of the final episode of “The Cosby Show.” By then, a lot had changed.

Tyson had suffered a thudding fall. In 1990, he had lost his heavyweight title. He’d been ordered to pay a small sum — $100 — to a woman who sued him after accusing him of groping her at a nightclub. Then, in March 1992, he was sentenced in an Indiana courtroom to six years in prison for raping Desiree Washington, an 18-year-old former Miss Rhode Island.

After the sentencing, Cosby — who had struck a conciliatory stance when his daughter accused Tyson of sexual assault — once again spoke in measured tones about the now-notorious pugilist.

“It would be very honorable for the state of Indiana to allow this prisoner to be rehabilitated while he is serving his debt to society,” Cosby told the Associated Press.

His daughter’s appearance on “The Donahue Show” was preempted for several weeks by coverage of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles. By the time it aired, her truthfulness was already being questioned in a manner that in some ways echoes how her father would attempt to deflect sexual assault allegations 2 1 /2 decades later.

“Erinn Cosby’s 3-year-old allegations are demonstrably false,” Alan Dershowitz, Tyson’s attorney, told The Post for an article that ran several days before Erinn Cosby’s television appearance aired. “We are reliably informed that Mike Tyson and Erinn Cosby were never alone in the same room together, and there are numerous witnesses who would so testify.”

On the “Donahue” stage, Erinn Cosby found a receptive audience, but not one without doubts similar to those being tossed at her father’s accusers now. They wanted to know whether she was drunk that night (she said she wasn’t) and whether she was “interested in” Tyson prior to the alleged assault (she said she wasn’t). But mostly, they wanted to know why she waited to say anything.

“If you’re not doing this for publicity, why did you wait so long? Or did I miss something?” one woman in the audience asked with a somewhat contemptuous glance.

“I think you missed something,” Erinn Cosby said. “I don’t need the publicity.”

Another woman asked, “Why didn’t you choose to press charges?”

Erinn Cosby said: “At that time, you know, I was young and I, I was scared.”

“Do you think if you’d have come out sooner, that what happened to Desiree Washington wouldn’t have happened?” Donahue asked.

“Yes, I do,” she said.

“You feel sorry?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she responded. “Now I look back on it, I do.”

washingtonpost.com
© 1996-2023 The Washington Post
About The Post
Contact the Newsroom
Contact Customer Care
Request a Correction
Send a News Tip
Report a Vulnerability
Download the Washington Post App
Policies & Standards
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Cookie Settings
Print Products Terms of Sale
Digital Products Terms of Sale
Submissions & Discussion Policy
RSS Terms of Service
Ad Choices

Mad Genius

Avid CAC Slapper
BGOL Investor

This article was published more than 6 years ago
Style
The forgotten story of when Bill Cosby’s daughter accused Mike Tyson of rape
By Manuel Roig-Franzia
July 6, 2016 at 4:35 p.m. EDT

The accused is one of the world's most famous men.

The accuser — a woman who says she was groped and sexually assaulted — isn’t the only one making lurid allegations.
Get the full experience.Choose your plan

The tabloids are in a tizzy.

This could be the story of Bill Cosby, circa 2016.

It’s not.

It’s the long-forgotten story of Bill Cosby’s daughter Erinn, circa 1989, when she accused famed boxer Mike Tyson of sexual assault. This is what happened when the roles, in a sense, were reversed. It was an episode when the legendary comedian — who has now been accused of rape, sexual assault or sexual harassment by more than 50 women over four decades — played an active and complicated role in the accuser’s camp in a sexually charged he-said, she-said battle.

Bill Cosby has aggressively defended himself against sexual assault allegations, suing some of his accusers and seeking to damage their credibility as a criminal sexual assault trial looms in Pennsylvania. But when his own daughter, then 23, was the one making the accusations, he took a decidedly less confrontational approach and, in the process, gave a hint of his attitudes toward sexual misdeeds and their consequences.

No criminal charges were sought against Tyson, who would later be convicted of raping another woman. Instead, Bill Cosby insisted, through his attorneys, that Tyson seek counseling. It was an approach that would strain an already troubled relationship with his daughter, according to her former attorney.

“He played more of a conciliatory role. She thought he should have handled it more like a father-daughter than like a politician or celebrity,” said Louis J. Terminello, who was Erinn Cosby’s attorney when the allegations became public, in an interview. “I don’t think he quite looked at it that way.”

A spokesman for Bill Cosby declined to comment. Tyson, who denied Erinn Cosby’s allegations, did not respond to an interview request. The comedian has denied sexually assaulting women.

The Tyson melodrama traces back to 1989. But Erinn Cosby would not speak about it publicly until three years later, when she said an ex-boyfriend was threatening to leak the story to the tabloids.

Erinn Cosby, who did not respond to emails or a voice message, outlined the accusations in detail in interviews with The Washington Post in 1992 and several other media outlets, including Phil Donahue’s popular daytime show. In those interviews, she said she and a friend met the boxing champion and another man at a Manhattan nightclub in November 1989. They decided to leave the club together to find a place to talk. Erinn Cosby recounted that they piled into Tyson’s car and headed out without a particular destination.

When the car turned toward New Jersey, Erinn Cosby asked where they were going. Tyson, whose marriage to actress Robin Givens had ended amid allegations of spousal abuse the year before, told Erinn Cosby that they were going to a party at his estate.

On the way, Erinn Cosby claimed, Tyson kept returning to the same theme: Bill Cosby.

“He was very concerned about how my father felt about him,” Erinn Cosby later told a live studio audience on “The Donahue Show.”

“And I said, you know, ‘Everything is fine . . . My dad supports your fights.’ And he was very happy about that.”

In the car that night, Erinn Cosby became a bridge between two of the most recognizable men on earth. Cosby was at the height of his fame as the star of “The Cosby Show” and was pulling in $4 million a month in syndication revenue, according to a Forbes estimate. Tyson was the heavyweight champion of the world, a ferocious brawler who’d earned tens of millions of dollars after becoming the youngest heavyweight titleholder in history.

When Tyson, also 23, and Erinn Cosby arrived at his home, she said she saw cars out front and assumed that there was a crowd gathering for the party. But inside, the house was nearly empty. The scenario was not unlike the scenes recounted decades later by women who accused her father of inviting them to parties at his home, only to arrive to find almost no one there.

At 78, Bill Cosby’s life is a blur of legal minutiae, lawyers and judges

On that night in New Jersey, Erinn Cosby says, Tyson gave her a tour. When they got to the trophy room, she told interviewers, the boxer locked the door. Then he was all over her, she alleged, pinning her to the floor and groping her until a member of the household staff heard her screams and knocked on the door, giving her an opportunity to flee.

When Erinn Cosby told her father, the comedian’s attorneys got in touch with Tyson’s representatives and insisted that he attend psychiatric counseling, she said on “Donahue.” A recent Bill Cosby biography says the comedian also insisted that his daughter, who had developed a cocaine habit, attend therapy sessions. Erinn Cosby has given a slightly different account, saying that she had decided to enter drug treatment on her own.

Erinn Cosby wasn’t happy with her father’s somewhat clinical response to her story. During her “Donahue” appearance, she was asked why she didn’t question her father’s management of the crisis.

“Well, because, at that time, you know, with my own emotions and everything, I really felt that he would handle it,” she told the audience.

Two weeks after the alleged incident, she said, she ran into Tyson at the same nightclub where they’d met on the night of the alleged assault. She says he screamed at her: “How dare you tell your parents? I have to go to therapy for a year.”

“I was scared,” Erinn Cosby recalled in the Post interview.

In his autobiography, "Undisputed Truth," Tyson does not mention Erinn Cosby or the purported demand that he seek counseling. But he does say that, at the urging of boxing promoter Don King, he attended a therapy session with psychiatrist Alvin Poussaint, a friend and co-author of Bill Cosby's whom Tyson described as "Bill Cosby's guy."

“Poussaint asked me what my problem was and I started saying crazy s--t to him. . . . He ran out the house and never came back.”

The Tyson sexual assault allegations were initially kept out of the media. But the tensions in the Cosby family were about to get a huge public airing. The month after his daughter says she was sexually assaulted, Bill Cosby made blistering remarks about her in an extended interview with the Los Angeles Times.

The article doesn’t mention the sexual assault allegation, but it does call into question Erinn Cosby’s character and maturity, with the father labeling her as “very selfish.”

“She’s not a person you can trust,” Cosby said. “Right now we’re estranged. She can’t come here . . . You think you’re not a good parent because you don’t answer the call. But you can’t let the kid use you.”

The same year that Bill Cosby was navigating his daughter’s sexual assault allegations, several women say he was engaged in inappropriate sexual contact with them. An aspiring teenage model and actress, Jennifer “Kaya” Thompson, says she went to New York that year to confront him about an alleged sexual assault the previous year. Cosby has acknowledged sexual contact with Thompson but has said it was consensual. Another woman, Lise-Lotte Lublin, has alleged that she blacked out after Cosby drugged her drink that year in a Las Vegas hotel suite, and an actress named Eden Tirl has said the comedian sexually harassed her by propositioning her while she was appearing on his television show.

The surprising reason a Bill Cosby accuser is withdrawing her lawsuit
View Graphic
Who are the women accusing Bill Cosby?

Erinn Cosby says she went public after learning in 1992 that a former boyfriend was trying to sell the story of her sexual assault allegations against Tyson to the tabloids. She responded by producing a videotape outlining her allegations in hopes that its existence would lessen the value of any story that her ex-boyfriend was peddling.

“She was really bothered by the fact that somebody tried to take advantage of her celebrity status,” said Terminello, her former attorney.

She agreed to appear on several television programs, including “The Donahue Show.” News of her scheduled appearance, and the basic outline of her allegations, turned up in mainstream media reports in April 1992 — the same week her father’s long run as a television father figure came to an end with the airing of the final episode of “The Cosby Show.” By then, a lot had changed.

Tyson had suffered a thudding fall. In 1990, he had lost his heavyweight title. He’d been ordered to pay a small sum — $100 — to a woman who sued him after accusing him of groping her at a nightclub. Then, in March 1992, he was sentenced in an Indiana courtroom to six years in prison for raping Desiree Washington, an 18-year-old former Miss Rhode Island.

After the sentencing, Cosby — who had struck a conciliatory stance when his daughter accused Tyson of sexual assault — once again spoke in measured tones about the now-notorious pugilist.

“It would be very honorable for the state of Indiana to allow this prisoner to be rehabilitated while he is serving his debt to society,” Cosby told the Associated Press.

His daughter’s appearance on “The Donahue Show” was preempted for several weeks by coverage of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles. By the time it aired, her truthfulness was already being questioned in a manner that in some ways echoes how her father would attempt to deflect sexual assault allegations 2 1 /2 decades later.

“Erinn Cosby’s 3-year-old allegations are demonstrably false,” Alan Dershowitz, Tyson’s attorney, told The Post for an article that ran several days before Erinn Cosby’s television appearance aired. “We are reliably informed that Mike Tyson and Erinn Cosby were never alone in the same room together, and there are numerous witnesses who would so testify.”

On the “Donahue” stage, Erinn Cosby found a receptive audience, but not one without doubts similar to those being tossed at her father’s accusers now. They wanted to know whether she was drunk that night (she said she wasn’t) and whether she was “interested in” Tyson prior to the alleged assault (she said she wasn’t). But mostly, they wanted to know why she waited to say anything.

“If you’re not doing this for publicity, why did you wait so long? Or did I miss something?” one woman in the audience asked with a somewhat contemptuous glance.

“I think you missed something,” Erinn Cosby said. “I don’t need the publicity.”

Another woman asked, “Why didn’t you choose to press charges?”

Erinn Cosby said: “At that time, you know, I was young and I, I was scared.”

“Do you think if you’d have come out sooner, that what happened to Desiree Washington wouldn’t have happened?” Donahue asked.

“Yes, I do,” she said.

“You feel sorry?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she responded. “Now I look back on it, I do.”

washingtonpost.com
© 1996-2023 The Washington Post
About The Post
Contact the Newsroom
Contact Customer Care
Request a Correction
Send a News Tip
Report a Vulnerability
Download the Washington Post App
Policies & Standards
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Cookie Settings
Print Products Terms of Sale
Digital Products Terms of Sale
Submissions & Discussion Policy
RSS Terms of Service
Ad Choices
Well, well...appears birds of a feather do in fact flock together. Even against their own family. Cosby is a dirty ass creep and always has been. At least Tyson now acknowledges what horrible human being he used to be, even though he can't cop to the worst things he ever did for obvious reasons.

FuriousStyles

Rising Star
Registered
At this point, for me at least, it's hard to know what to believe. All the pussy that must've been thrown at Bill, why would he have to drug hoes? But the same can be asked about Darren Sharper. But from 50+ years ago? That's a long ass time to be remembering shit correctly. I don't know man.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nah Cosby went too far bruh...talking about Names.. I know couple of Shaniquas that are doing fuckin

excellent financially... some Mohammeds that are killin the game.. bruh he shitted on the Name Muhammed,
Look here my man... if you wanna focus on the minutaie while purposely missing his overall point then thats on you. However, I can tell you for a FACT that there are tons of Shaniquas and violent ass criminal muslim Muhammeds in Philly alone causing uber amounts decay and destruction in the community.. And if you that up in arms about a elder telling you pull your fucking pants up then fuck you and your feelings.

Cosby has done more for the People and struggle than all you niggas combined if you lived 20 lifetimes. If he doesnt have a right to critique his own then who does. Thats part of the problem now.. nobody wants to be held to account.

Further, if this the distraction you wish to give your attention in a discussion about 65 year old bogus rape claims in the attempt to lynch a Black man.... then you niggas are bigger cacs than the ones bringing up these bullshit charges.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They didnt know shit you country fried coon. Cos was victimized by white supremacist actors and had rules changed mid game in order to target and character assassinate a successful Black man.

The fuck ups were the ones he chastised. And only a handkerchief head knee grow would compare a lecture from an elder to a public lynching and incarceration of an innocent Black man. Nigga killl yoself.
Old azz cranky rapist stick together I see.

Fuck your tired old bitch ass and your loser ass hero.

You the same bitch ass piece of shit that was coppin pleas for R Kelly.

You two pieces of shit deserve each other.

No gives a fuck about your old tired ass and your rapist hero ls.

You old incel piece of shit.

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Long Live Bill Cosby.
For the life of me, I could never understand the issue of Bill Cosby telling the community to pull their pants up. We all know that shit is a problem in the community. Theres' no good way to say shit like that, pull your got damn pants up!!