Biden challenges Trump to pair of debates — but only on his terms: ‘Make my day, pal’

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
200w.gif

Biden challenges Trump to pair of debates — but only on his terms: ‘Make my day, pal’​

By
Social Links forOlivia Land and

Social Links forDiana Glebova
Published May 15, 2024
Updated May 15, 2024, 8:58 a.m. ET

President Biden said Wednesday he is willing to debate former President Donald Trump in a pair of face-to-face showdowns ahead of the election – but only if his rival agrees to his strict terms
“Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, and now he wants to debate me again,” Biden said in the fiery early-morning video posted on his personal X account.
“Well, make my day pal,” added the 81-year-old president.
In a letter obtained by The Post, the Biden camp ruled out allowing the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates to organize the events, which it has done since the 1988 election cycle.
Joe Biden said he will not participate in debates sponsored by nonpartisan commission. 3
President Biden said he will not participate in debates sponsored by a nonpartisan commission.X / @JoeBiden

Continue watchingThis Day in Historyafter the ad

Donald Trump and Joe Biden during the second and final presidential debate on Oct. 22, 2020. 3
Donald Trump and Joe Biden during the second and final presidential debate on Oct. 22, 2020.AP
Instead of three presidential debates scheduled by the CPD for Sept. 16, Oct. 1, and Oct. 9, Biden wants to face off with Trump on a more compressed schedule — with the first debate held as early as June, campaign chair Jennifer O’Malley Dillon wrote.
“I hear you’re free on Wednesdays,” Biden chided in the video, referring to Trump’s ongoing criminal trial in New York, which is on recess Wednesdays.
The second debate was proposed for early September, “early enough to influence early voting, but not so late as to require the candidates to leave the campaign trail in the critical late September and October period,” O’Malley Dillon explained in the letter, which was first reported by the New York Times.
Donald Trump seen during his 'hush money' trial. 3
Donald Trump during his “hush money” trial.POOL/AFP via Getty Images
The Biden team also asked for the debates to be staged inside a television studio with microphones that automatically cut out when the speaker’s time elapses – and no live audience.
The proposed debates would also exclude Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and any other third-party candidates. The CPD would allow additional candidates to take the stage if they reached a minimum of 15% in polling and were on enough state ballots.

Start your day with all you need to know​

Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.
Enter your email address
By clicking above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Trump responded to Biden’s challenge in a Truth Social post, saying he was “ready and willing” to debate him.
“Crooked Joe Biden is the WORST debater I have ever faced – He can’t put two sentences together! Crooked is also the WORST President in the history of the United States, by far. It’s time for a debate so that he can explain to the American People his highly destructive Open Border Policy, new and ridiculous EV Mandates, the allowance of Crushing Inflation, High Taxes, and his really WEAK Foreign Policy, which is allowing the World to ‘Catch on Fire,” he wrote.

EXPLORE MORE​

Stephen Bodley mugshot

Florida man convicted after admitting to heinous crime during job interview to become a police officer, facing life in prison

Migrants charged in attack on NYPD cops in Times Square offered plea deals, including one who was rearrested

A Maine man is locked in a court battle with family members after a big lottery win.

Mega Millions winner sued by family for breaking promise to share $1.35B jackpot: report

The Trump campaign had long asked Biden to commit to debates earlier in the 2024 cycle.
Trump’s team had initially said the former president would be willing to debate Biden “anytime, anyplace and anywhere,” and had urged the CPD to move its debates up to account for early voting.
The CPD had scheduled its debates for Sept. 16 in San Marcos, Texas; Oct. 1 in Petersburg, Va.; and Oct. 9 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The first debate would have taken place after early voting had already started in some states.
That schedule accounted for “religious and federal holidays, early voting, and the dates on which individual states close their ballots,” CPD had argued.
What do you think? Post a comment.
After Biden said he would debate Trump in an interview with Howard Stern last month, the 45th president’s advisers challenged the incumbent to debate sooner — without CPD involvement.
“We extend an invitation to every television network in America that wishes to host a debate, and we once again call on Joe Biden’s team to work with us to set one up as soon as possible. The American people deserve it,” campaign consiglieres Chris LaCivita and Susie Wiles wrote in a statement.
As late as Tuesday night, the CPD had not heard from either campaign about coordinating on the debates, commission co-founder Frank Fahrenkopf said on a reporter call with centrist group No Labels.
Biden’s team agreed with Trump about the need to have debates before early voting, despite it aiding the president in the 2020 election.
“The commission’s failure, yet again, to schedule debates that will be meaningful to all voters — not just those who cast their ballots late in the fall or on Election Day — underscores the serious limitations of its outdated approach,” O’Malley Dillon wrote.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I'm surprised to see such an early debate... Smart for Biden to end the narrative Trump is pushing that he is afraid and weak + a chance to change the narrative of the entire race, which is not good right now since the last NY Times poll has him losing badly.

bdquest9

To teach the truth to the young black youth
BGOL Investor
All these people acting as if they is no chance of this fool being convicted and sentenced to prison???