BGOL Car Heads....Can I pass emissions with the check engine light on??

305slugga

Star
Registered
I copped a 1992 chevy caprice with 138k miles from an old white couple for $1500 but the service engine light was on. I know with light being on the chances of passing emissions are low. I know caprices really well and recently changed the spark plugs , wires, distributor cap and rotor. I got the PCV valve replaced and did an oil change. I also added some lucus oil fuel injection cleaner and the engine treatment. The car is riding smooth as hell but the service engine light is still on. I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the cables from the battery also.

kewlphucker

Star
Registered
In jersey NO and I tried the whole disconnecting the battery thing and none of my sensors were ready I had to drive it for a whole day to reset them.

Durty

Rising Star
Registered
I dont think they even let you take it with the engine light on. I knew a cat who test was coming up and he had to get it fixed first

black-n-tan

Star
Registered
I had a check engine light on my car. I figured out it was the gas cap (newer cars can spit out the codes). I didn't have a tester and it takes about 50 starts for it to reset itself so I took it to the inspection station and the guy reset for me it and told me to come back tomorrow, if the light was still out he would pass it.

That worked.

Lucient

Support BGOL
Registered
A 92 Caprice is OBD I and will pass the emissions test if its in good running order.(The carb is in good condition, the ignition system is good, the egr valve is functioning, and the catalytic converter is good). The check engine light is only relevant on 96 or newer OBDII cars. If your car wont pass send me a PM with the results and I will tell you what you need to do to get it to pass. The re-test is free

Varis

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you maybe able to reset the computer and make the light go out
by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes

Jayde

Star
Registered
A 92 Caprice is OBD I and will pass the emissions test if its in good running order.(The carb is in good condition, the ignition system is good, the egr valve is functioning, and the catalytic converter is good). The check engine light is only relevant on 96 or newer OBDII cars. If your car wont pass send me a PM with the results and I will tell you what you need to do to get it to pass. The re-test is free

:yes:

black-n-tan

Star
Registered
If you was in ALASKA, I cud Hook you up.....:yes:

Folks used to do that in Philly (probably still do). You would pay the money, drive your car into a garage then walk outside. The garage door would close for a minute. When it opened back up, your car would have a new sticker. I had to do that a few times back in the day.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
In jersey NO and I tried the whole disconnecting the battery thing and none of my sensors were ready I had to drive it for a whole day to reset them.
them fuckers just started that shit. They have always been a rip off but ever since they privatized the place they have become worst. I saw a lady she had an old ass car that shit was clean ran good and looked good they failed her shit because she didnt have floor mats and since the car was old as shit she didnt have slip mats under the pedals. :smh::smh::smh:

Imhotep

Star
Registered
You can take it Autozone and they will scan it for free.

True, the emission test device connects direction to the OD port on you car. So an errors i.e check engine light will fail the car. Get the error code and hit a car discussing groups plus ebay for parts.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I copped a 1992 chevy caprice with 138k miles from an old white couple for $1500 but the service engine light was on. I know with light being on the chances of passing emissions are low. I know caprices really well and recently changed the spark plugs , wires, distributor cap and rotor. I got the PCV valve replaced and did an oil change. I also added some lucus oil fuel injection cleaner and the engine treatment. The car is riding smooth as hell but the service engine light is still on. I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the cables from the battery also.

You probably need an 02 sensor, go to autozone and they will give you a diagnostic test for free. Once you know what it is fix it.

igotchobych

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
The CPU could be frozen, I had the same problem with my Avalanche last week. I did a shitload of maintenance on the truck and the light wouldn't go off. I took it to the inspection place and told them the truck runs fine but the check engine light is on. The clerk immediately told me it would fail, but he reset the CPU and turned the light off for me and told me to drive for 100 miles then come back. He said if the light stays off it should pass. I took a loop around the Beltway and came back to the inspection location the light didn't come on. So he ran the test and it passed with flying colors he told that chevy's have a problem with the CPU freezing leaving the check engine light on. I suggest taking the car to the inspection spot and get them to reset your CPU that might do the trick.