BET Cancels Rap City

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
BET network has confirmed plans to cancel its long-running Hip-Hop series Rap City, effective by the end of this month.

Created by broadcasting veteran Alvin Jones in 1989, the video series chronicled Hip-Hop’s growing video music market, competing directly with Yo! MTV Raps.

The fledgling series was able to distinguish itself from its larger MTV competitor by not just focusing on mainstream rappers, but also championing videos and interviews from underground and up and coming artists.

Originally hosted by “The Mayor of Rap City” Chris Thomas for its first several years, Rap City’s “golden age” was 1994-1999, when the program was hosted by the colorful and knowledgeable duo of Joe Clair and Leslie Segar AKA Big Lez.

In 1999, the two hour slot was repackaged as Rap City: Tha Basement and christened with new host Big Tigger.

Tigger’s run birthed the popular Freestyle Booth session, where MCs would feature their best rhymes or freestyles following their interviews.

After completing their verses, many times with Tigger joining in, the MC(s) would traditionally sign the booth’s wall.

These freestyle sessions produced memorable performances from artists such as Ludacris, The Roots, Killer Mike, Chamillionaire, Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Obie Trice, Xzibit, Cassidy and numerous others.

Since Tigger’s 2005 departure, the show failed to establish a concise direction, running through a myriad of hosts and focusing on commercial artists, which failed to showcase Hip-Hop’s diverse talent pool as done years before.

Consequently, the show was reduced to a one hour time slot as rating suffered.

The final Rap City episode will commence on October 29, making it the longest running Hip-Hop program at 19 years.

At press time, the show is scheduled to be replaced by The Deal, an hour long video series hosted by DJ Diamond Kutz on November 10.

http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/10/01/20545500.aspx

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Shits been unwatchable for a while. But DJ Diamond Kutz?

if it is who i think it is diamond kutz is a young chick from philly
diamondkutslq4.jpg

datboi21

Potential Star
Registered
I'm glad cuz it hasn't been the same since Big Tigger left.... To be honest they need to cancel a lot more shows then dat..

Fiyah Man

Star
Registered
Damn!! Even though I haven't watched it since the late 90's I'm sorry to see it go. A sign of the times I guess.

piffsponsa

BGOL's Weeded Soldier
BGOL Investor
BET fucked BET all up. Everybody seen that network sliding str8 down hill yrs ago when they cut "Uncut". But I really knew it was a wrap when they started showin' all them old ass shows on some "TVone" type shit. fuck BET.

Oh yeah, imo Tigga WAS Rap City, after he left I only stayed tuned for that 1st week.

absolutvodka

Star
Registered
BET is fucking stupid

maybe the reason that nobody watches the show has to do with the videos yall play

niggas are tired of watching niggas in orange shirts dancing

these queers don't even have video hoes anymore.

Ajax

Everybody's Favorite Warrior
BGOL Investor
It was downward spiral after Joe Cleezy left good riddance

Desert Eagle

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That was a bad move...
Rap city goes back a very long time..

Remember This nigga used to host It...

"The Mayor of Rap City"
images

The people who cut the cord on this show probably dont..:smh:

They like ....lets play Steve Harvey show and Smart Guy for 2hrs!!!!

Fuck BET...Altogether!!!
:hmm:

Dallas Bueller

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn I still remember the first day Rap City aired with "The Mayor". Hard to believe that was damn near 20 years ago. I used to flip between that and Yo MTV Raps everyday after school.

Plague37th

Potential Star
Registered
Rap City was best with Joe Claire in the early 90's...That shit is garbage now...thats a reflection of the music too tho...

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rap City has been wack for a long ass time, it began during the No Limit Record Dynasty around 98, creativity in hip hop videos died, and it got boring. Do people realize that they used to make $1,000,000 hip hop videos in 96-97. When is the last time you saw a million dollar hip hop video?

Carlito

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i would rather see 106 get the axe rather than seeing rap city cancelled. but it was garbage for a good while now.

Rhayne

Star
Registered
good shit, im glad for diamond cuts, a philly dj making moves, she always be holding down the weekends. Props for her

jae_one

Rising Star
Registered
Damn!! Even though I haven't watched it since the late 90's I'm sorry to see it go. A sign of the times I guess.

Fucka show, cancel dat whole fuckin network already. :hmm:

Agreed... I have not watched that shit since the 90's. I remember in school on lunch breaks watching that shit. I had no issue with the old re-runs at all. I saw them break some artist like Rottin Raskalz and dem boys when they got no love on other networks.. comic view was tight cause it was the first time we got black comedy on the regular... then that got stale cause the faces changed but jokes remained the same... then the videos went from new artist who were hot to whoever had the most money to pay for rotation... fuck BET I aint loved that bitch in years...

Q-vo

Star
Registered
Still got quite a few VHS tapes floating around with all the vids I used to tape back between '91-'96 from that show.

Like yall, can't say I aint mad to see the shit go.

Galvatron78

Potential Star
Registered
You can tell whoever wrote that description of the "anthology" of Rap City does not know shit about the program nor it's history. The hosts were

- Chris The Mayor Thomas
- Prince De Jour
-Prime
-Biz Lez
- Joe Claire
- Tigga the Bellhop Negro

I remember running home in the third grade when Rap Coty first came out damn near breaking my neck to get to see some real videos, before Yo MTV and Rap City we had to wait for Video Soul to show a random hiphop video on there. After 97' when Joe Claire wasn't fuckin' with it anymore it died down but Tigga brought it back a bit with the booth. After 97' i stopped watching because they started showing the same videos over an over again. Before then you could always count on seeing some new shit.....remember the countdown on Saturdays? Before they hit #1 what did they do? THEY SHOWED A NEW VIDEO THAT NEVER HAD BEEN AIRED BEFORE.

R.I.P. to Rap City but fuck BET.

J Storm

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What they need to do is go back to Airing OLD EPISODES of RAP CITY (From the Mayor to Joe Clair) on BET HIP HOP... a Station that they dont do shit with... They been showing that Ciara Countdown for almost a year.