Battlestar Galactica reboot from Mr. Robot creator

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Battlestar Galactica was one of the greatest Sci-fi adventures ever created in modern times. The spin-off was hot trash so I'm hoping they learn from that blip and create something awesome again.

caprica was great.

with that said, there is no need to bring bsg back unless they start where they left off.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I started to lose interest towards the end as the religious themes got convoluted and overbearing for me...but it was certainly a great reboot of an original show...rebooting the reboot 10 years later??

Be interesting to see what angle they'll come from.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Lands Simon Kinberg as Writer, Producer

By Adam B. Vary

Courtesy of Everett Collection
Fresh from shepherding the “X-Men” franchise for over a decade, Simon Kinberg has signed on to write and produce Universal’s feature adaptation of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” Variety has confirmed.
Kinberg is joining producer Dylan Clark (“The Batman,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”), who has long overseen development on a “BSG” movie for the studio. While Kinberg has also branched out into directing with 2019’s “X-Men” feature “Dark Phoenix” and 2021’s spy thriller “The 355,” he is not looking to direct this project.
“‘Battlestar Galactica’ is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what’s made it so iconic and enduring,” Kinberg said in a statement. “I’m so grateful that Dylan and my partners at Universal have trusted me with this incredible universe.”

Related Stories
VIP
Apple One Interest High, Awareness Low Ahead of Launch: Survey

‘Hocus Pocus’ Director Wants the Original Cast Back For Disney Plus Sequel

The “BSG” franchise has passed through many hands since it first launched as a live-action TV series for ABC in 1978. Seen at the time as a blatant “Star Wars” rip-off, “BSG” has grown into wide esteem in its own right after the acclaimed basic cable reboot of the series in the 2000s, starring Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell and Katee Sackhoff. Both shows followed a fleet of human starships, let by the Galactica, as they flee a race of genocidal robots called the Cylons and seek to find a mythical planet called Earth.
The feature film version of “BSG” is not connected to plans for a new “Battlestar Galactica” TV series currently in development for NBCUniversal’s streaming service Peacock by executive producer Sam Esmail (“Mr. Robot”).
Kinberg intends to start from scratch with his script for the feature, which has been in development for years. Lisa Joy (HBO’s “Westworld”) and Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) recently took passes at a screenplay, and Kinberg’s old “X-Men” colleague Bryan Singer was attached to direct as early as 2009.
“The 355” — which Kinberg also co-wrote and which stars Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong’o, Penelope Cruz, Diane Kruger and Fan Bingbing — is scheduled to debut on Jan. 15, 2021.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How a Battlestar Galactica Movie Can Work
With X-Men’s Simon Kinberg attached, the prospects of a Battlestar Galactica movie look more likely than ever. Here is what we might be able to expect.

By Alec Bojalad|October 23, 2020|
Photo: NBCUniversal
When Jim Halpert mimicked Dwight Schrute’s personality on The Office, he did so by addressing the three most important “B’s” in Dwight’s life: Bears, Beets, and I Can’t Believe They’re Going to Let the Writer of Dark Phoenix Write the Battlestar Galactica Movie.
Yes, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Simon Kinberg has signed on to write and produce the long-gestating Battlestar Galactica film. Kinberg is best known for his work writing and/or producing all of the X-Men movies after Bryan Singer left the franchise in X2. He will join Dylan Clark as a producer
Battlestar Galactica is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what’s made it so iconic and enduring,” said Kinberg in a statement. “I’m so grateful that Dylan and my partners at Universal have trusted me with this incredible universe.”
Whether this is good news for the eventual quality of the Battlestar Galactica movie remains to be seen. Kinberg’s work on X-Men ranges from the very good (X-Men: First Class), to the very bad (Dark Phoenix), to the “why would you cover Oscar Isaac’s face in blue makeup like that?” (X-Men: Apocalypse). But what’s clear here is that this is news news. This is the most compelling evidence yet that a Battlestar Galactica movie might really happen.
AD

AD – CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW

Rumors of a Battlestar Galactica movie have persisted for years, beginning shortly after the reboot concluded its four season run in 2009. Given that nothing has come from these rumors, it’s often been easy to dismiss the idea of adapting the classic ‘70s sci-fi series and its excellent 2000s reboot as a longshot. Directors have come and gone quickly from the property with both the aforementioned Singer and Francis Lawrence attached in the “will supposedly direct but probably not” spot.
But the involvement of Kinberg as a writer marks the beginning of a new era in Battlestar Galactica speculation. This concept will actually soon have a script…and one written by a big-name writer whose services probably cost Universal a pretty penny at that. In an post-COVID era (should such a thing ever come to pass), it will likely be more important than ever for studios to spend their money on sure things. With a passionate fanbase from two different eras, Battlestar Galactica is pretty close to a sure thing.
The original Battlestar Galactica TV series premiered in 1978 and was an endearing yet hokey sci-fi yarn seeking to capitalize on the arrival of the Star Wars phenomenon. It was canceled after only 24 episodes yet developed a devoted cult following over the years. In 2004, Ronald D. Moore developed a reboot for Syfy (Then Sci-Fi Channel) that was quite simply one of the best pieces of science fiction adventure to ever air on television. It took the original series’ concept of the human race on the run from robotic enemies called Cylons and adapted it for the post 9/11 world. Since then Battlestar Galactica has developed into a modest little media empire, with the only medium left unconquered being cinema.

Top ArticlesStar Wars: The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode1 Easter Eggs Explained | Den of Geek

READ MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MORE

SKIP AD

Now a BSG movie has its best shot yet to actually come to fruition. We can debate all we want whether this is a wise choice, given that the 2000s reboot was likely as close to perfect as this concept will ever get. But of course, we all want them to leave our childhood alone and they never will. With Kinberg, attached as writer, the time has come to for hardcore Battlestar movie skeptics to enter a coping period. If this thing is going to happen: how can it possibly be good?
The first step is for Kinberg to decide which era of the show he wants to adapt. While the original certainly has its own chromatic charms, the reboot built a more effective and more creatively exploitable world. It’s likely that the BSG movie will continue to mine this. With that in mind, a sequel is likely out of the question, given the nature of that series’ ending … unless Kinberg intends to set the movie on 2009 Earth as people play with their Roombas.
READ MORE
TVThe Challenge of Reviving Battlestar Galactica
By Juliette Harrisson
TVRewatching Battlestar Galactica with Tricia Helfer’s Podcast
By Michael Ahr
AD

This means that the most likely route for the BSG movie to take is a full-on reboot, which isn’t too bad to consider. The concept at Battlestar Galactica’s core is so strong and so interesting that it’s kind of amazing that the original wasn’t better to begin with. This is quite simply a story of survival. Mankind has once again been decimated by (what else?) its own creations. The Twelve Colonies have been destroyed and all that’s left is a meager spacefaring fleet full of tens of thousands of people along with one Battlestar to defend them.
AD – CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW

The desperation, fear, and existential angst at the center of that story is more than sturdy enough to hold up a new interpretation of it. And while it may seem like a fool’s errand to condense 75 episodes of television into one movie, there are some other important factors to consider. For starters, Universal almost certainly doesn’t plan for this to be just one movie. What is the blockbuster filmmaking landscape right now if not a series of episodes leading up to one grand conclusion? Where I come from (the ‘90s), we call that television.
Then there’s the reality that Battlestar Galactica, the series, was very much a product of its episodic-centric times. It’s easy to forget now that Netflix has normalized dramas as “XX-hour long movies” but in the not-so-distant past seasons of television were lengthy and discursive, filled with hours that some might call filler (though they’d be wrong).
Join our mailing list
Get the best of Den of Geek delivered right to your inbox!

Subscribe

In any case, stripped of several characters and side quests, the elements at play for a BSG movie are pretty intriguing. It’s the story of a dwindling population of heroes racing across the universe, trying to avoid the evil that they helped create. That’s Battlestar Galactica…and also Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi. Though plenty of fans have issues with the latter, it still grossed $1.321 billion at the box office and is starting to look even better after whatever it is The Rise of Skywalker was supposed to be.
AD

There are comforting signs out there of a potentially good Battlestar Galactica movie. Or perhaps it will be a travesty. Either way, with Simon Kinberg now attached, the important thing is to accept that this thing just might actually happen this time. Now … what that means for Sam Esmail’s announced BSG reboot at Peacock remains to be seen.

sickwidit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait they are remaking the series that came out a few years back? (Doesn’t feel like over a decade) So many stories to be told and all Hollywood do is tread back over the same stuff

Kaotic

Dancing with the devil in the pale moon light...
Platinum Member
Wait they are remaking the series that came out a few years back? (Doesn’t feel like over a decade) So many stories to be told and all Hollywood do is tread back over the same stuff
Because all of the writers with real imagination have either retired, died off, or don't get any shine in Hollywood... smh

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

@fonzerrillii

@playahaitian

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I just got done reading all three of the Three-Body Problem books. They saying this might be the next big Sci-fi series for the generations.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Battlestar Galactica was one of the greatest Sci-fi adventures ever created in modern times. The spin-off was hot trash so I'm hoping they learn from that blip and create something awesome again.
Never seen it, I like sci-fi, but all those Star Trek shows killed it for me, I’d like to start over

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Never seen it, I like sci-fi, but all those Star Trek shows killed it for me, I’d like to start over

Bro. You missing out. Watch that first season and you'll be hooked. They kept you on the edge of your seat for seasons all the way up until the end. The desperation of humanity was always on display literally every episode. Really watch the first few episodes and you'll be hooked

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
REBOOTING 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' ISN'T WORTH THE FRAKING RISK. OR IS IT?

In the 2003 reboot of Battlestar Galactica we learned that “this has all happened before and will all happen again.” And now, that prophecy is coming true, again. On Tuesday, news broke that NBC’s new streaming service, Peacock, will debut a new version of Battlestar Galactica written and produced by Sam Esmail, famous for his work on Mr. Robot. But, because Battlestar has already been rebooted, and kind of recently, the newly announced series is either a losing sci-fi gamble or the best reboot idea in years.

Back in 2003, the late Richard Hatch actively tried to sabotage the Sci-Fi Channel’s “reimagining” of Battlestar Galactica. Having starred as Apollo on the original 1978 version of the TV series, Hatch had, at that time, unsuccessfully attempted to relaunch the cult series many times before, and was opposed to the new reboot. Back then, the idea of rebooting old-school sci-fi franchises was still fairly risky, and as far as reboots go, the 2003-2009 Battlestar is much more radical than perhaps any other reboot in recent memory. From changing Starbuck’s gender to female to introducing humanoid Cylons, to presenting the entire series as kind of gritty, jumpy war-documentary, the “new” Battlestar was nothing like the pseudo-Star Wars rip-off many 1970s fans remembered at the time.

the-cast-in-the-og-battlestar-galactica-in-1978.jpeg

38c0ea10c748c8966df82f275ac65492.jpg

In the 2018 book, So Say We All: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Battlestar Galactica, journalists Ed Gross and Mark Altman interviewed BSG showrunner Ronald D. Moore to find out exactly what the fan opposition to the then-new version of the show as really like. Here’s a quote from Moore about what happened when he showed the pilot of the new show at one fan convention.

“So I brought the house lights down, played the show, played it all the way through and then the house lights come up and they [the audience] booed and hissed. They really did. I’m not making this up. I’m like ‘Holy shit.’”

Obviously, the struggle of the rebooted Battlestar in 2003 has a happy ending. Richard Hatch would end up coming to Moore’s defense at that very same convention, and eventually, even took a role in the new show as a terrorist who was trying to destabilize the rag-tag-fleet. (Meta, get it?) The point is, in 2008-2009, when the fourth and final season of Battlestar Galactica was airing on the newly rebranded “SyFy channel” you would have been hard-pressed to find a self-respecting science fiction fan who didn’t think it was the best sci-fi show on TV at the time. Despite some of its flaws (we’re still all debating the finale to this day) when someone thinks of Battlestar Galactica right now, they’re not thinking about Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict in 1978; they’re clearly thinking about Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff and the rest of the amazing cast from the newer series.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Battlestar Galactica’ Reboot Might Be Set In Same Universe as Last ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Reboot

Posted on Monday, February 17th, 2020 by Chris Evangelista

There’s a new Battlestar Galactica reboot in the works, and it might end up being more familiar than expected. Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail is developing the new Battlestar for the upcoming NBC streaming service Peacock, and according to Ronald D. Moore, who created the previous Battlestar reboot, Esmail’s series might be set in the same universe as Moore’s. And that makes a certain sense based on how Moore’s show ended. Spoilers for the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica reboot follow.

The conclusion of Ronald D. Moore’s Battlestar Galactica reboot revealed that the series existed in a cyclical universe, where the events of the show happen again every few thousand years. This revealed that Moore’s Battlestar was actually a sequel to the 1978 Battlestar Galactica. All of this gives Sam Esmail a pretty easy way to remain in the same universe and make his show a new cycle. And that might be exactly what’s happening.

Speaking with Variety, Moore revealed that Esmail gave him a call to discuss the new show. Moore added that while Esmail didn’t tell him what the story of the new Battlestar was about, he did state that he planned on keeping his show in the same universe as Moores rather than starting from scratch. “Sam called me and was very gracious, he didn’t pitch me the story so I don’t know,” Moore said. “But he said his plans and he wasn’t going to re-start the show and recast it but he wanted to do something in the same universe. Sam’s amazing and I love Mr. Robot. I was like, you know, ‘You’re an amazing guy and amazing writer, go with god!'”

Battlestar Galactica began with a TV series that ran from 1978 t0 1979. A new show, Galactica 1980, arrived in 1980, but only lasted for ten episodes. From there, various episodes of the original show and Galactica 1980 were re-edited into two feature films, Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack and Conquest of the Earth. Several attempts at revivals followed, but Battlestar Galactica wouldn’t live again until 2003, when the show was rebooted into a Syfy miniseries co-written by Moore.

The miniseries then gave birth to a new series, which ran from 2004 until 2009. Two TV movie spinoffs came from this – Battlestar Galactica: Razor and Battlestar Galactica: The Plan. There was also a prequel series, Caprica, which only lasted one season. Now, Esmail is attempting to revive things yet again – and it sounds like he’s going to give fans something familiar.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
What We Know About Peacock's New 'Battlestar Galactica' Series

Dan Clarendon • May 30, 2020 11:00 am

What the frak is going on with that Battlestar Galactica “reboot”? Producer Sam Esmail has been dropping intel on the Peacock show these past few months, and fans of the Syfy version of Battlestar Galactica will be glad to know he has no intention of ruining the franchise’s legacy. (So say we all.)

SAM ESMAIL IS ONBOARD AS EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

The Mr. Robot creator, who’s also an executive producer on Homecoming and Briarpatch, is developing the series as part of his overall deal with Universal Content Productions. According to Deadline, Esmail told NBCUniversal execs that BSG was one of the properties he was most interested in—and he’s a big fan of Ronald D. Moore’s 2004 BSG remake, which aired for four critically-acclaimed seasons on Syfy.

“It was this sci-fi show that didn’t feel incredibly sci-fi-y,” Esmail said of the predecessor series in a Hollywood Reporter interview this past October. “It was grounded. I felt like I was watching a war film—so allegorical because it really was talking about 9/11 and the post-terrorist attack environment in a really human way. It was groundbreaking television in how serialized it was before that became popular among the other dramatic shows.”

IT’S INSPIRED BY THE 2004 SERIES BUT IS NOT A REMAKE

“BSG fans, this will NOT be a remake of the amazing series [MENTION=32705]ron[/MENTION]DMoore launched because... why mess with perfection?” Esmail tweeted the day the project was announced. “Instead, we’ll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!”

IT’S NOT STRICTLY A REBOOT

From Esmail: "The word ‘reboot’ was used when we were first talking about it, and I cringed. Ronald Moore, he just hit it out of the park with his series, so why would I even want to touch that? I talked to him and said, ‘A, are you OK with this? And B, if you are, how do we proceed?’ He said he was OK with it as long as it wasn’t a reboot—which was in line with what I was thinking. But the world of Battlestar Galactica is so rich, the mythology is so interesting, that I think there is a lot to pick from and explore."

MICHAEL LESSLIE WILL WRITE AND PRODUCE

The creator and showrunner of the AMC spy drama The Little Drummer Girl is tackling the scripts for the new BSG. “I am beyond excited to be taking on this iconic and inspirational show,” he said when the news was announced earlier this month, per Deadline. “As a lifelong devotee, I know that the possibilities of Battlestar Galactica’s world are infinite and that each iteration has raised the bar for epic and intelligent sci-fi storytelling.

The teams at Esmail Corp, UCP, and Peacock are second to none, and I already know that we are going to honor Glen A. Larson [creator of the 1978 Battlestar Galactica series] and Ronald D. Moore’s landmark series and break new boundaries with our own vision. It’s a dream come true—one I just can’t wait to share with fans, new and old alike. So say we all.”

IT WON’T BE A LIMITED SERIES

Esmail confirmed this month on THR’s TV’s Top 5 podcast that the new Battlestar is being developed as a long-running series. And after shirking television convention by making Homecoming a half-hour drama, Esmail said that the form of the new BSG will follow its function: “There might be episodes that are longer than others.

There might be a three-arc episode that could stretch along three episodes. There might be a standalone episode that’s a half-hour long. We want to play around with all forms. We don’t want to put any guardrails at all. We want to just tell the best story possible for each episode. … What we’re doing here is, every episode, you have the opportunity to change up the tone, to change up the point of view, to tell a different story, to dissect one thing or to go massively wide on another thing, so we are going to lean into that, not shy away from it.”

IT WILL BE A POLITICAL ALLEGORY, LIKE ITS PREDECESSOR

Just as the 2004 BSG mirrored the post-9/11 world, the new version will have something to say about the political climate here on Planet Earth. “Mike just had this great take, and I’m not going to go into it because obviously I don’t want to spoil it for fans, but you kind of see it in The Little Drummer Girl, where politics plays a big part in it but without comprising the entertainment value,” Esmail said on the podcast.

“Because in my opinion, you gotta have that. That’s [the] number one priority. I want people to be excited and emotionally invested and on a thrill ride, but at the same time, I think Mike is going to bring a lot of depth and parallel or mirror what’s going on in the world right now.”

NO CASTING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

The new BSG might be a long ways away. In the May podcast interview, Esmail said the team was “just focused on writing” and had “no casting updates” to share. Still, that hasn’t stopped former BSG actors from throwing their hats into the ring…

NBCUNIVERSAL_PEACOCK_REBOOT_SERIES_BATTLESTAR_GALACTICA.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Mr. Robot's Sam Esmail says his new Battlestar Galactica show is in "great shape"

Esmail has been working on a Peacock follow-up to the sci-fi (and Syfy) classic for more than four years at this point

By William Hughes
October 25, 2023

f565f1a87e62ea2880959706de212121.jpg

Sam Esmail

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member