Baseball: Who got you interested in the game?

Who got you interested in baseball?

• My dad

• Some other male role model

• I picked it up on my own

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor
Luke Cage really got me thinking about the correlation between having a father around and an interest in baseball. The only reason I'm into it is because my father is. I picked up all other sports on my own. The more I thought about it, everybody I knew growing up that played baseball had a father at home. I see single mothers in the stands at football and basketball games all the time. I've never seen them at a baseball game. I also thought of how playing catch is one of the first things that comes to mind that a father does with his son.

Who got you interested in baseball?

BGLR1212000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The coach went to my homeboys mother church. I guess he did an announcement for his team, and my homies mom signed us up. 3rd grade.

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Growing up as a kid in the 80's we played football, basketball and baseball. The park we went to even had a diamond. Parks now in the black neighborhoods don't even have a diamond anymore. I've watched more baseball the last couple of years because my Cubbies are finally good.

I guess you can say that I got interested because all of the other kids in my neighborhood played. Football and basketball came first though.

Last edited:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
The elder males in my family loved baseball. In their childhood baseball and boxing were the only sports that could give Black men a chance to make money and rise out of the ghetto.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I became a fan of baseball when I first played it in elementary school. My favorite team growing up was my hometown team Toronto Blue Jays. My favorite baseball moment was when Joe Carter hit the game winning home run against the Phillies in 1993 that won the World Series for us.

Last edited:

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
My dad use to always take the fam to Oakland A's games.
For the longest my favorite teddy bear wore a green Oakland A's hat. That's how I got started with baseball.

Then I picked up basketball, track and field and football on my own.
I loved to run a lot so I gravitated to football more than basketball cuz I just like the idea of burning kids trying to catch me or catching the fastest kids so that's where most of my focus went wasn't really swearing an allegiance to any specific team then, that came later.

But the first ever organized sport I played was baseball. First sport I ever received a trophy from, baseball.
First sport I watched on TV was baseball. As we grew up pops returned to the old tradition of going to baseball games and we'd go see Barry Bonds play often.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
My mom, she has been a cubs season ticket holder for a probably 35 years. Even before that she used to take my sister and I to games at least once a week if they were in town. I didn't enjoy watching baseball until I started playing little league and now as an adult it is my favorite sport to watch.

mathtest

Rising Star
OG Investor
when i stayed at my grandmoms crib during the summer i randomly turned on a game and it was the yankees vs mariners and i watched ken griffey put on a home run and fielding clinic, i instantly became a fan, i was 1 of the ones who thought it was a boring sport which it can be at times but i still love it

three-fifths

searching for the remaining 143,999
Platinum Member
been following beisbol since 1973.

i was too small to play football, and too short to play basketball.

therefore....