By Emily Jacobs
November 25, 2020 | 12:38pm | Updated

MORE ON:
BARACK OBAMA
Warnock's ties to Obama ex-pastor emerges as campaign issue

Barack Obama praises his 'badass' wife and kids in new interview

Barack Obama's memoir off to record-setting start in sales

Beware COVID-rule backlash and other commentary

Former President Barack Obama took a dig at Hispanic Americans who voted for President Trump, saying they looked past his inflammatory rhetoric and immigration policies because they were aligned on social issues.
The 44th commander-in-chief made the remarks during a wide-ranging interview with “The Breakfast Club” radio program Wednesday while discussing what he hoped Democrats would take away from part one of his memoir “A Promised Land,” released earlier this month.
“Those of us who live in DC or New York or LA,” Obama argued, sometimes lack “a good enough sense of how big this country is and how a lot of folks do not accept at all” policies that people living in larger metropolitan areas take for granted.
The former president turned to the topic of Hispanics who voted for Trump as an example.
“People were surprised about a lot of Hispanic folks who voted for Trump, but there’s a lot of evangelical Hispanics who, you know, the fact that Trump says racist things about Mexicans, or puts detainees, undocumented workers in cages. They think that’s less important than the fact that he supports their views on gay marriage or abortion,” he explained.
President-elect Joe Biden lost the state of Florida to Trump, whose performance with Hispanics in Miami-Dade County carried him to victory in the Sunshine State.
Hispanic voters in the county unseated Rep. Donna Shalala (D-Fla.).
Trump also performed extremely well among Latino voters in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley.
Still, Biden carried the Latino vote handily in Arizona, Nevada and Pennsylvania.
Trump has repeatedly taunted Democrats for attacking him over detention centers used to house illegal border crossers, given that the facilities were built in 2014, during the Obama administration.
During Obama’s first presidential run, he voiced opposition to gay marriage in an interview with Pastor Rick Warren in August 2008.
“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix,” then-candidate Obama said at the time.