Baba Oje, member of 80's Hip-Hop group, "Arrested Development", has passed away

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
Rest in peace. He had a good run. Wow to think he was about 60 back when I first heard the song below.

Speech Mourns Death Of Arrested Development's "Elder" Baba Oje
October 26, 2018 | 11:13 AM
by Kyle Eustice
181026-Baba-Oje-827x620.jpg

Paul McConnell/Getty Images

Arrested Development has been captivating audiences around the globe for the better part of three decades. On Friday (October 26), Arrested Development’s de facto leader Speech had the difficult task of letting the world know the Grammy Award-winning group lost its elder and an integral part of band, Baba Oje. The 86-year-old passed away at 4 a.m. on Friday morning.

“Hip-Hop culture just lost a soldier,” Speech began. “#RIPBABAOJE. BABA OJE the elder from the 2x Grammy Award winning group ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT passed this morning at 4am after fighting acute Leukemia, he was 86 years old. Baba was the oldest member of any hip-hop collective and his mere presence in rap spoke volumes for the genre and for a generation looking for symbolic wisdom and answers.

“He was an activist for the homeless, a military veteran, a world traveler, spiritual advisor to the group, strict vegan, dancer, vocalist and avid roller skater. His family & friends are scheduling service arrangements for him next week Friday. We will deeply miss Baba Oje and ask for prayers for his family.”

October 26, 2018. Hip-Hop culture just lost a soldier. #RIPBABAOJE BABA OJE the elder from the 2x Grammy Award winning group ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT passed this morning at 4am after fighting acute Leukemia, he was 86 years old. Baba was the oldest member of any hip-hop collective and his mere presence in rap spoke volumes for the genre and for a generation looking for symbolic wisdom and answers. He was an activist for the homeless, a military veteran, a world traveler, spiritual advisor to the group, strict vegan, dancer, vocalist and avid roller skater. His family & friends are scheduling service arrangements for him next week Friday. We will deeply miss Baba Oje and ask for prayers for his family. I met Baba hanging with the young dudes while I was in college, he was always super cool and always willing to talk to the youth! I gathered up the nerve to ask him to be in my hip hop group, he at first said no. But he later reconsidered when he thought about the fact that a young black man was striving to start a positive rap thing. However, we both found out that this partnership was bigger than we even knew. We both learned later that Baba knew my parents and in fact, was the best man in my mother and fathers wedding way before I was even thought of! That's the spiritual bond we shared, he was literally like family to me, I will miss him terribly. – Speech

A post shared by Speech (@speech__) on Oct 26, 2018 at 6:13am PDT

Speech went on to reveal how he first met Baba. He would later discover Baba was the best man at his parents’ wedding.

“I met Baba hanging with the young dudes while I was in college, he was always super cool and always willing to talk to the youth!” he continued. “I gathered up the nerve to ask him to be in my hip hop group, he at first said no. But he later reconsidered when he thought about the fact that a young black man was striving to start a positive rap thing.

“However, we both found out that this partnership was bigger than we even knew. We both learned later that Baba knew my parents and in fact, was the best man in my mother and fathers wedding way before I was even thought of! That’s the spiritual bond we shared, he was literally like family to me, I will miss him terribly.”

Last edited:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP Baba Oje

"My grandma past my brother's gone, I never at once felt so alone
I know you're supposed to be my steering wheel, not just my spare tire
(Home!) But Lord, I ask you
(Home!) to be my guiding force and truth
(Home!) For some strange reason it had to be
(Home!) he guided me to Tennessee
Take me to another place, take me to another land
Make me forget all that hurts me, let me understand your plan
Take me to another place, take me to another land
Make me forget all that hurts me, let me understand your plan
"

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Death is just a transition returning to our non physical state. The way we were before we entered this physical body. Life goes on. It is actually expansion.

exactly the fact that we get sad... and take on this thing called mourning...

just shows how far removed we are from our culture...and who we are..

if only we knew where we came from... and where we are going if we ascend and not have to repeat this shit..

yo b... we would be lauging at the face of "death". because deep down inside we would know there is no such thing...

nevertheless

rest in power to this bruh and may his heart be light enough to pass on through

so he wont have to repeat this shit....

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
Rest in Peace Baba Oje. Hiphop elder of truth and wisdom. Thank you for everything you brought to the culture.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I was living in Oregon when AD's first CD dropped.
All the White Dudes I worked with couldn't stop talking about that Elder.
Especially after seeing the group perform on "ARSENIO".
White Boys knew I was from Harlem/NYC.
So I got annoying-ASS questions non-stop about AD, Baba, and Hip-Hop/Rap in general.
But that was a Great CD.
And those were still "FUN" times.

R.I.P.