Anyone On Here Play The Guitar/Bass?

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Always though it was a cool instrument and wanted to learn so I started playing 2 months ago. I use the website Guitar tricks.com to teach me. Excellent site for very beginners. Lisa McCormick is a phenomenal teacher. In 2 months I've learned 5 Cords and have played 2 4 cord songs. She's excellent in teaching how to read music as well. Currently working on melodies. Started out with a 1 string melody and now I'm moving forward to a 2 string melody, which seems kinda hard but with more and more practice I can get it. I'm starting out with a Epiphone Dr-100 acustic. Eventually I wanna play Electric and Bass. For anyone playing, what are some other books and sites that will help in learning how to play? What are some tips and tricks for beginners that maybe useful? I wanna work my way up to playing Stevie Wonder, Isley Brothers, B.B. King, Hamilton Bohannon, and Jimi Hendrix. I'm more than willing to put in the time and years to get to that point.

This is what I'm starting out with

dr-100-eb-all.jpg

LIdq9m.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Damn good looks on this.

I always wanted to learn to play and even bought a "starter" electric guitar off Amazon like two years ago but never followed through.

I'm going to check out this site and teacher.
Oh the site is great!!! I did a lot of research and found that it was one of if not the best site out there. Cost $14.95 a month but that's nothing for good instructors. I didn't wanna go to a music store to take lessons cause they start you out playing shit like Mary had a little lamb en shit. Nigga, I don't wanna play no fuckin childhood melodies. This site doesn't do that at all.

KsvpDJ.jpg

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Oh the site is great!!! I did a lot of research and found that it was one of if not the best site out there. Cost $14.95 a month but that's nothing for good instructors. I didn't wanna go to a music store to take lessons cause they start you out playing shit like Mary had a little lamb en shit. Nigga, I don't wanna play no fuckin childhood melodies. This site doesn't do that at all.

KsvpDJ.jpg

I'm definitely going to join, probably this weekend if I have time.

Ironically I bought my guitar to specifically learn how to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" :o

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
Yeah. I started playing guitar 3 months ago when the epidemic hit. I’ve had my guitar for 10 years and I never played it that much. I bought mine off of qvc. It’s the Esteban series electric acoustic guitar. I couldn’t play any chords 3 months ago. Now I can play the chords A, C, D, E, G. I can play A minor, D minor, E minor, and most of the Sus chords. I am working on F# and B major. It will probably take a month to get the chord to ring out all strings down. Barre chords give me problems now but I will get it. C major gave me hell until I built up the callouses and now it’s not a problem.

I am finally able to transition my chords while playing the song, Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix. It takes a second to get your fret hand to have muscle memory and dexterity. Then you have to keep the rhythm with your strumming hand. The first song I learned was 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes.

I use the Fender app for instructions and lessons. It cost $9.99 a month. I recommend it. I can read guitar tabs and music sheets for guitar songs. It’s been a journey and I kick myself for not playing my guitar sooner but I do it out of love and appreciation for all the great guitarist out here. It’s truly amazing. I will transition over to a Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul.

My goal is to play Tony, Toni, Tone songs. Lol. Hopefully, I will be able to play some of their riffs a year from now. I practice at least an hour a day sometimes longer. It’s been fun learning patience and not breaking my guitar because I can’t play a chord. Lol. That’s one of the reasons I recommend the guitar for children. It teaches you patience and if you stick to it and practice you will be rewarded. Oh and I also use Justinguitar.com for instructions.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Yeah. I started playing guitar 3 months ago when the epidemic hit. I’ve had my guitar for 10 years and I never played it that much. I bought mine off of qvc. It’s the Esteban series electric acoustic guitar. I couldn’t play any chords 3 months ago. Now I can play the chords A, C, D, E, G. I can play A minor, D minor, E minor, and most of the Sus chords. I am working on F# and B major. It will probably take a month to get the chord to ring out all strings down. Barre chords give me problems now but I will get it. C major gave me hell until I built up the callouses and now it’s not a problem.

I am finally able to transition my chords while playing the song, Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix. It takes a second to get your fret hand to have muscle memory and dexterity. Then you have to keep the rhythm with your strumming hand. The first song I learned was 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes.

I use the Fender app for instructions and lessons. It cost $9.99 a month. I recommend it. I can read guitar tabs and music sheets for guitar songs. It’s been a journey and I kick myself for not playing my guitar sooner but I do it out of love and appreciation for all the great guitarist out here. It’s truly amazing. I will transition over to a Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul.

My goal is to play Tony, Toni, Tone songs. Lol. Hopefully, I will be able to play some of their riffs a year from now. I practice at least an hour a day sometimes longer. It’s been fun learning patience and not breaking my guitar because I can’t play a chord. Lol. That’s one of the reasons I recommend the guitar for children. It teaches you patience and if you stick to it and practice you will be rewarded. Oh and I also use Justinguitar.com for instructions.
Thanks for the info. I saw the Fender play app too. Yeah it's amazing when you get a chord down you just wanna keep playing. It's one of the most satisfying feelings in the world when you can successfully transition from one chord to another. You just just have to work through the pain in your fingers on the left hand. Mainly your index finger, as you'll be using the 1 finger the most. I'm building up those callouses on my fingers too. Was so happy when I was able to figure out how to properly angle my fingers on the fret board on the A Minor chord so I'm not muting the strings. I'm still working on the switch between C and A minor. BUt I can go from A Minor to A then E with no problems. Did you get a strap? I got one. Was great to have cause sometimes the guitar would get away from me when playing the high E string at the bottom. Now with the strap it doesn't get away from me while playing. I'll check those other apps out too. Good lookin. :thumbsup:

o1rDy2.jpg

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the info. I saw the Fender play app too. Yeah it's amazing when you get a chord down you just wanna keep playing. It's one of the most satisfying feelings in the world when you can successfully transition from one chord to another. You just just have to work through the pain in your fingers on the left hand. Mainly your index finger, as you'll be using the 1 finger the most. I'm building up those callouses on my fingers too. Was so happy when I was able to figure out how to properly angle my fingers on the fret board on the A Minor chord so I'm not muting the strings. I'm still working on the switch between C and A minor. BUt I can go from A Minor to A then E with no problems. Did you get a strap? I got one. Was great to have cause sometimes the guitar would get away from me when playing the high E string at the bottom. Now with the strap it doesn't get away from me while playing. I'll check those other apps out too. Good lookin. :thumbsup:

o1rDy2.jpg
Luckily my guitar came with a strap, case, music note holder, amp and 20 instruction dvds. Esteban Whois a guitarist makes the guitar and instructs the lessons. I never took to his instructions though.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Luckily my guitar came with a strap, case, music note holder, amp and 20 instruction dvds. Esteban Whois a guitarist makes the guitar and instructs the lessons. I never took to his instructions though.
Oh cool. You got a stand too? Get you a guitar stand. There cool as hell to have your guitar sitting on. Especially when bitches come over to the crib. They see that guitar on the stand they definitely swallowing Kirk. :yes: :lol:

1Vc8pE.jpg

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Oh cool. You got a stand too? Get you a guitar stand. There cool as hell to have your guitar sitting on. Especially when bitches come over to the crib. They see that guitar on the stand they definitely swallowing Kirk. :yes: :lol:

1Vc8pE.jpg

This is the one I purchased for around $100:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RXXOX8/?tag=vp314-20

I bought the guitar stand as well and that shit does look cool when bitches come over until they ask me to play.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
:roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: :roflmao2: Stick with it Out. I be praticing like 2 hrs a day. It's so much fun!! Especially when you see your progress

oHVUbJ.jpg

No doubt, now that you brothers have posted the website and app for instruction I have somewhere to start.

I was looking into taking instructions in person but never felt like that would work for my schedule.

Btw we were talking inspiration for guitar playing I'd pick these two (although I know I'm never getting to this level or even close):

Prince starts at about 3:25

His "Creep" cover:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
No doubt, now that you brothers have posted the website and app for instruction I have somewhere to start.

I was looking into taking instructions in person but never felt like that would work for my schedule.

Btw we were talking inspiration for guitar playing I'd pick these two (although I know I'm never getting to this level or even close):

Prince starts at about 3:25

His "Creep" cover:

Never predetermine what level you can or cannot achieve. I've learned over the years the best way to accomplish something is to aim the highest. Be willing to embrace the challenges and anticipate the failure, falling down. Embrace your mistakes. For if you don't make them, you cannot learn from them. Remember I said I wanted to play Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child, not be him. But if it sounds just like he did it then I'm more than happy with that. Da Walsh is here for inspiration as well, not just for posting bitches. :thumbsup: Together we can be the best guitar players we can be!!!

2VLZ3Y.jpg

daTiger

Support BGOL
Registered

Bought this one a couple years back and it sat on the stand until COVID started. Im about 3 months in and have learned 6 chords and can play some 2 and 3 chord songs. I'm finally starting to enjoy it now that the blisters on the fingers of my fret hand have healed.

I do need to practice more. I barely get an hour in per day. But I'm gonna stay at it. Good luck!

Last edited:

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Never predetermine what level you can or cannot achieve. I've learned over the years the best way to accomplish something is to aim the highest. Be willing to embrace the challenges and anticipate the failure, falling down. Embrace your mistakes. For if you don't make them, you cannot learn from them. Remember I said I wanted to play Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child, not be him. But if it sounds just like he did it then I'm more than happy with that. Da Walsh is here for inspiration as well, not just for posting bitches. :thumbsup: Together we can be the best guitar players we can be!!!

2VLZ3Y.jpg

:cheers:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Bought this one a couple years back and it sat on the stand until COVID started. Im about 3 months in and have learned 6 chords and can play some 2 and 3 chord songs. I'm finally starting to enjoy it now that the blisters on the fingers of my fret hand have healed.

I do need to practice more. I barely get an hour in per day. But I'm gonna stay at it. Good luck!
Stay with it man. Consistency is key. You don't have to practice hours on end at a time, but I've learned you do need to be consistent with it. So 20 minutes every other day is much more effective than 2hrs 2 times a week :thumbsup:

KnxBVZ.jpg

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor
When we are in better place with Covid-19, consider taking lessons from an instructor. The right instructor can help advance you quickly. The problem with some of the online course is that you are not getting feedback on bad habits you could be forming now (proper chord fingering, strumming hand movements, etc.)