Any Screenwriters On The Board??

LeftyLuchini

Star
Registered
i dont mean naggas makin up movie plots while smoking blunts with the homies,
but cats pursuing screenwriting as a career/aspiration.

im looking for a book called Save The Cat.

save_the_cat.jpg

ive heard alot about the book,
and wanted to see id anyone has the ebook of it they can post.

thanks in advance....

mr cee

Potential Star
Registered
Yeah I've written feature length screnplays, have one some awards for short films I also produced.

Syd Fields Screenplay is my main book but i have a few others.

I'd like to see some of those as ebooks as well.

Maybe I find them on rapidshare.

LeftyLuchini

Star
Registered
Yeah I've written feature length screnplays, have one some awards for short films I also produced.

Syd Fields Screenplay is my main book but i have a few others.

I'd like to see some of those as ebooks as well.

Maybe I find them on rapidshare.

cool man.
im really interested in doing is producing.
i like the role of being the salesman.
share your experiences bruh.

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
Found this looking up Blake Snyder's name

this looks interesting

http://writingforstagescreen.suite101.com/article.cfm/save_the_cat_screenwriting_book

Blake Snyder discusses what makes a great story using his 15 Point Beat Sheet.

Suite101: After 20 successful years of selling spec screenplays to Hollywood, what storytelling elements have you found that have helped you sell your stories?

Blake Snyder: I talk about a lot about primal, what draws me to most stories is what’s primal about it. You know, mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, brothers and sisters, things we recognize and have recognized forever.

Juno was a big hit because it satisfies every on of the log line & poster requirements that I talk about in my book. I mean teenage pregnancy is extremely primal. It follows the 15 Point Beat Sheet model exactly. I don’t know if the Diablo Cody, the screenwriter set out to do it, but regardless, she satisfied a storytelling template that works. So it’s a template we can learn. So between the two things, “What is it?” and executing that is a concern. That’s what writers should be concerned with.

Suite101: Can you please elaborate about your 15 Point Beat Sheet found in your book?

Blake Snyder: Save the Cat! has 15 points in every story. I came up with this because early on I was very bad at plotting and story. I’d go into meetings with producers with great ideas and then pitch out a few lousy little set pieces and they’d say, “And what else?” So I began searching for a story that I could count on, so if a Producer responded to an idea of mine, within a very short time, I could go into their office and tell them that great story. That’s what I found in these 15 points.

All stories are about transformation. At point 1 the hero is one way, and at point 15, the finale, he is completely the opposite. Well, what happened? And act 2 traditionally is what I call the transformation machine. They walk in one way and they don’t come out the same. They’ve been transformed in a way that we won’t even recognize them by the end.

Suite101: What kind of feedback have you received from your book?

Blake Snyder: I had someone tell me after they read my book “You’ve cracked Act 2. You’re the guy who’s demystified Act 2.” The Beat Sheet is a little pachinko machine that hits all the little nodes in order to transformation. This isn’t a formula, but a devise that frees you to be more creative. If you look at this Beat Sheet and use it, you’ll find that it’s the most freeing thing you’ll ever find. It doesn’t confine you at all.

Blake Snyder's 15 Point Beat Sheet with page locations in ( ) as found in Save the Cat!:

1. Opening Image (1) - The first impression of a movie - its tone, mood, and scope.
2. Theme Stated (5) - Thematic premise.
3. Set-Up (1-10) - Introduce the hero, the stakes, and the goal.
4. Catalyst (12) - A life changing event for the hero.
5. Debate (12-25) - The hero must decide how to proceed in life
6. Break Into Two (25) - Entering the new world of Act Two.
7. B Story (30) - Second plot that gives a breather to the main story.
8. Fun and Games (30-55) - Having fun in the new world.
9. Midpoint (55) - Stakes raised with a false victory or false collapse.
10. Bad Guys Close In (55-75) - Villains regroup against the hero.
11. All Is Lost (75) - Opposite of the Midpoint that signifies transition from hero's old ways.
12. Dark Night of the Soul (75-85) - Worse moment for the hero.
13. Break Into Three (85) - Main Story & B Story converge for hero to find a solution.
14. Finale (85-110) - Hero triumphs over villains to create a new society.
15. Final Image (110) - Opposite from Opening Image to show a change occurred.

Read Part 2 of Blake's interview: Tips from a Spec Screenwriter

In his 20-year career as a screenwriter and producer, Blake Snyder has sold dozens of scripts, including co-writing Blank Check, which became a hit for Disney, and Nuclear Family for Steven Spielberg — both million-dollar sales. He is the author of "Save the Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need"

LeftyLuchini

Star
Registered
Found this looking up Blake Snyder's name

this looks interesting

http://writingforstagescreen.suite101.com/article.cfm/save_the_cat_screenwriting_book

Blake Snyder discusses what makes a great story using his 15 Point Beat Sheet.

Suite101: After 20 successful years of selling spec screenplays to Hollywood, what storytelling elements have you found that have helped you sell your stories?

Blake Snyder: I talk about a lot about primal, what draws me to most stories is what’s primal about it. You know, mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, brothers and sisters, things we recognize and have recognized forever.

Juno was a big hit because it satisfies every on of the log line & poster requirements that I talk about in my book. I mean teenage pregnancy is extremely primal. It follows the 15 Point Beat Sheet model exactly. I don’t know if the Diablo Cody, the screenwriter set out to do it, but regardless, she satisfied a storytelling template that works. So it’s a template we can learn. So between the two things, “What is it?” and executing that is a concern. That’s what writers should be concerned with.

Suite101: Can you please elaborate about your 15 Point Beat Sheet found in your book?

Blake Snyder: Save the Cat! has 15 points in every story. I came up with this because early on I was very bad at plotting and story. I’d go into meetings with producers with great ideas and then pitch out a few lousy little set pieces and they’d say, “And what else?” So I began searching for a story that I could count on, so if a Producer responded to an idea of mine, within a very short time, I could go into their office and tell them that great story. That’s what I found in these 15 points.

All stories are about transformation. At point 1 the hero is one way, and at point 15, the finale, he is completely the opposite. Well, what happened? And act 2 traditionally is what I call the transformation machine. They walk in one way and they don’t come out the same. They’ve been transformed in a way that we won’t even recognize them by the end.

Suite101: What kind of feedback have you received from your book?

Blake Snyder: I had someone tell me after they read my book “You’ve cracked Act 2. You’re the guy who’s demystified Act 2.” The Beat Sheet is a little pachinko machine that hits all the little nodes in order to transformation. This isn’t a formula, but a devise that frees you to be more creative. If you look at this Beat Sheet and use it, you’ll find that it’s the most freeing thing you’ll ever find. It doesn’t confine you at all.

Blake Snyder's 15 Point Beat Sheet with page locations in ( ) as found in Save the Cat!:

1. Opening Image (1) - The first impression of a movie - its tone, mood, and scope.
2. Theme Stated (5) - Thematic premise.
3. Set-Up (1-10) - Introduce the hero, the stakes, and the goal.
4. Catalyst (12) - A life changing event for the hero.
5. Debate (12-25) - The hero must decide how to proceed in life
6. Break Into Two (25) - Entering the new world of Act Two.
7. B Story (30) - Second plot that gives a breather to the main story.
8. Fun and Games (30-55) - Having fun in the new world.
9. Midpoint (55) - Stakes raised with a false victory or false collapse.
10. Bad Guys Close In (55-75) - Villains regroup against the hero.
11. All Is Lost (75) - Opposite of the Midpoint that signifies transition from hero's old ways.
12. Dark Night of the Soul (75-85) - Worse moment for the hero.
13. Break Into Three (85) - Main Story & B Story converge for hero to find a solution.
14. Finale (85-110) - Hero triumphs over villains to create a new society.
15. Final Image (110) - Opposite from Opening Image to show a change occurred.

Read Part 2 of Blake's interview: Tips from a Spec Screenwriter

In his 20-year career as a screenwriter and producer, Blake Snyder has sold dozens of scripts, including co-writing Blank Check, which became a hit for Disney, and Nuclear Family for Steven Spielberg — both million-dollar sales. He is the author of "Save the Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need"

this is some good shit.
now u see why i NEED the damn ebook!

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
More Black Snyder about Dark Knight

Batman by the Beats
Beat Sheet, Today's Blog — 12:54 pm on July 24, 2008

The Dark Knight is the most successful movie the year, besting Spider-Man 3 for the biggest non-holiday opening ever. Heath Ledger is so very weird as the Joker, and its highlight. But the star is a well-structured story. This latest Batman follows the beats down to the minute and delivers a resonating theme missing from other summer fare: Why is good good? And why should we try to save a world that no longer cares?

Spoiler alert: let’s take look.

The Set-up finds Gotham plagued by a new crime wave, and Batman (Christian Bale), still dark after all these years, bugged by Comic-con copycats and getting no respect as usual. The Stasis = Death is clear early on: Mansion-less, friend-less, tired of the grind – if things don’t change, Bruce Wayne will “die.”

Catalyst comes when the Joker’s criminal actions are brought to the attention of Batman and the world, and after some Debate about how he will enter the fray, Batman “takes the case” at the Break into Act Two.

Fun and Games follow with Joker running amok among the crime world, rising to fame as Batman tries to catch up. Each of Joker’s appearances top the last; he is pure evil. The stakes raise at a Midpoint party (amazing) when the Joker appears in Bruce Wayne’s world and the two meet for the first time. The midpoint cross of A and B, however, involves Bruce, and Rachel (Maggie Gyllenhaal) and Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart).

Harvey (and by extension Rachel) is the B Story, the “helper story” that will help Batman “get” what this latest crime spree is really all about. Harvey is the soul that Batman and Joker battle over, and tear right down the middle, literally, when he becomes “Two Face” in a really lovely — and gruesome — twist.

This “worse off than when this movie started” moment occurs right on schedule at All ls Lost with the death of Rachel and the maiming of Harvey, followed by a classic Dark Night of the Knight when the world’s most famous butler (Michael Caine) finds Bruce slumped in his chair wondering, what’s it all about, Alfie?

But because superheroes are compelled to do right, even at the risk to, and sacrifice of, themselves (check out Chapter 10 of Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies), Batman must stop Joker in the Finale that is textbook “Storming the Castle.” Its “Dig, Deep Down” beat comes as a result of a “divine intervention” when, given the chance to blow up a boatload of prisoners to save themselves, Gotham citizens choose not to. Yes, there is a Good. And there is a reason to fight the Evil that is Joker — even if it means more self-sacrifice — and even if Joker never dies. That after all is the point, and the eternal problem: Batman will always be on call.

So, riding off into the Dark Knight, hounded by hounds, Batman will just have to keep doing what he does. But he’s been oddly re-booted for the task, and given proof, thanks to Harvey and the citizens of Gotham, that there’s a reason good is good. And no copycat can take on the task that Batman now must face alone.

It’s not the car chases, it’s not Heath, it’s not the cool new motorcycle… it’s the story. Plot and theme are blended together as the A and B stories, and for a so-called comic book movie, it’s “about something.”

Now regarding Batman’s voice…

Dallas Bueller

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
say man,
are u from dallas,
or is that just yr name?

Just my name. Not my real name of course. Long story behind the name, but let's just say BGOL was the first time where I ever had to come up with a screenname for a message board, however many years ago that was. I'm from Florida. West Palm Beach to be exact.

NightWolf

Potential Star
Registered
<<<<<<<< Director/Cinematographer

I'm rewriting a short story I have and would like a book that can help. I usually have great ideas and plot twists. I need something on story structure. From there I'll be able to manipulate it as I see fit.

You may have just started something "LeftyLuchini"

NightWolf

Potential Star
Registered
More Black Snyder about Dark Knight

Batman by the Beats
Beat Sheet, Today's Blog — 12:54 pm on July 24, 2008

The Dark Knight is the most successful movie the year, besting Spider-Man 3 for the biggest non-holiday opening ever. Heath Ledger is so very weird as the Joker, and its highlight. But the star is a well-structured story. This latest Batman follows the beats down to the minute and delivers a resonating theme missing from other summer fare: Why is good good? And why should we try to save a world that no longer cares?

Spoiler alert: let’s take look.

The Set-up finds Gotham plagued by a new crime wave, and Batman (Christian Bale), still dark after all these years, bugged by Comic-con copycats and getting no respect as usual. The Stasis = Death is clear early on: Mansion-less, friend-less, tired of the grind – if things don’t change, Bruce Wayne will “die.”

Catalyst comes when the Joker’s criminal actions are brought to the attention of Batman and the world, and after some Debate about how he will enter the fray, Batman “takes the case” at the Break into Act Two.

Fun and Games follow with Joker running amok among the crime world, rising to fame as Batman tries to catch up. Each of Joker’s appearances top the last; he is pure evil. The stakes raise at a Midpoint party (amazing) when the Joker appears in Bruce Wayne’s world and the two meet for the first time. The midpoint cross of A and B, however, involves Bruce, and Rachel (Maggie Gyllenhaal) and Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart).

Harvey (and by extension Rachel) is the B Story, the “helper story” that will help Batman “get” what this latest crime spree is really all about. Harvey is the soul that Batman and Joker battle over, and tear right down the middle, literally, when he becomes “Two Face” in a really lovely — and gruesome — twist.

This “worse off than when this movie started” moment occurs right on schedule at All ls Lost with the death of Rachel and the maiming of Harvey, followed by a classic Dark Night of the Knight when the world’s most famous butler (Michael Caine) finds Bruce slumped in his chair wondering, what’s it all about, Alfie?

But because superheroes are compelled to do right, even at the risk to, and sacrifice of, themselves (check out Chapter 10 of Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies), Batman must stop Joker in the Finale that is textbook “Storming the Castle.” Its “Dig, Deep Down” beat comes as a result of a “divine intervention” when, given the chance to blow up a boatload of prisoners to save themselves, Gotham citizens choose not to. Yes, there is a Good. And there is a reason to fight the Evil that is Joker — even if it means more self-sacrifice — and even if Joker never dies. That after all is the point, and the eternal problem: Batman will always be on call.

So, riding off into the Dark Knight, hounded by hounds, Batman will just have to keep doing what he does. But he’s been oddly re-booted for the task, and given proof, thanks to Harvey and the citizens of Gotham, that there’s a reason good is good. And no copycat can take on the task that Batman now must face alone.

It’s not the car chases, it’s not Heath, it’s not the cool new motorcycle… it’s the story. Plot and theme are blended together as the A and B stories, and for a so-called comic book movie, it’s “about something.”

Now regarding Batman’s voice…

:eek: That's ill

mr cee

Potential Star
Registered
Yeah when you study this shit you will notice the same shit used in most movies esp the basic structure.

ACT I(set up)
You have your 1st Ten Minutes, to pull the audience in. DK: The Joker's Bank Heist
All the major players in your story are introduced.Somewhere around 30 minutes the ACT I(set up) closes. A plot twist will occur that will swing the story in a different direction.DK:Bruce believing in Harvey, and going to Japan, breaking the Mob's loot forcing the Joker to come out and start killing prominent legal figures.

Act II (Conflict)
Last anywhere from maybe 40 min on up depending on the length of the movie.
The characters have to deal with whatever conflicts they have. It ends with another major element is introduced. Essentially you can say this is when shit hits the fan. Old DK:Rachel dies, and Harvey is scarred. Bruce & Harvey are fucked up in the head.

ACT III (Resolution)DK: Harvey goes on revenge, Jokers put the city as hostage and Bruce comes out.
About 30 mins. The character has to resolve the conflict(s) and come out changed once said issues are addressed.
The villains are brought down (of course) and Bruce is changed, plays the bad guy but is inspired to keep on keepin on.

Last edited:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Haven't read either book yet, but I highly recommend using the Celtx program if you aren't already. It's a free download at http://www.celtx.com

I've used it to write a short film for class and a feature I'm working on right now. It's a great app.

King of Pain

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a working screen writer here in hollywood. No, I haven't read that book, but there is a great book called, "The War of Art", by Steven Pressfield that I highly recommend. It's about the process of becoming a professional screenwriter. I have read "story" and took Mckee's seminar years ago (made my son take it too). It's good stuff if you are just starting out, although the best advice I ever got was to "keep writing". It sounds simple, but it's actually what's gotten me over.

LeftyLuchini

Star
Registered
I'm a working screen writer here in hollywood. No, I haven't read that book, but there is a great book called, "The War of Art", by Steven Pressfield that I highly recommend. It's about the process of becoming a professional screenwriter. I have read "story" and took Mckee's seminar years ago (made my son take it too). It's good stuff if you are just starting out, although the best advice I ever got was to "keep writing". It sounds simple, but it's actually what's gotten me over.

good shit.
have u sold some scripts,
or do u do punch/rewrite work?

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
I EP 2 television shows and I've sold 2 features. I am currently writing features for 3 studios. I did start out doing punch up, and I have re written a few features.

K O P - We need to talk soon. I just started writing my third feature spec awhile ago. Trying to open a line to Miramax - BUT the lady wants to see two three specs from the door to make sure I'm not a one shot miracle.

Lefty, see what you dun started fam. Start with this and READ The best example (besides Die Hard) for a screenplay ever.

http://members.aol.com/rwsmittjr/scripts/chinatown.txt

I'm running my screenplays with with Final Draft now but Movie Magic and a few others are out there. Before you get into that check these out and read some more. Understanding the format is key. Structure fits in with that. Screenwriters Utopia has alot of articles to start you out. Need info - like that sauce - it's in there. Read then WRITE. And keep writing.

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/

Here's some more

http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml

http://www.script-o-rama.com/links.shtml

http://us.imdb.com/studios

http://www.lousywriter.com/how_to_write_better_with_punctuation.php

http://www.film.com/

http://www.filmmakers.com/contests/directory.htm

http://www.donedealpro.com/default.aspx

http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/

http://www.hcdonline.com/

http://www.simplyscripts.com/wga_top_101_scripts.html

http://www.scriptforsale.com/

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YA'LL
oNE

Last edited:

owl

BGOL Investor
K O P - We need to talk soon. I just started writing my third feature spec awhile ago. Trying to open a line to Miramax - BUT the lady wants to see two three specs from the door to make sure I'm not a one shot miracle.

Lefty, see what you dun started fam. Start with this and READ The best example (besides Die Hard) for a screenplay ever.

http://members.aol.com/rwsmittjr/scripts/chinatown.txt

I'm running my screenplays with with Final Draft now but Movie Magic and a few others are out there. Before you get into that check these out and read some more. Understanding the format is key. Structure fits in with that. Screenwriters Utopia has alot of articles to start you out. Need info - like that sauce - it's in there. Read then WRITE. And keep writing.

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/

Here's some more

http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml

http://www.script-o-rama.com/links.shtml

http://us.imdb.com/studios

http://www.lousywriter.com/how_to_write_better_with_punctuation.php

http://www.film.com/

http://www.filmmakers.com/contests/directory.htm

http://www.donedealpro.com/default.aspx

http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/

http://www.hcdonline.com/

http://www.simplyscripts.com/wga_top_101_scripts.html