Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase to partner on US employee health care

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
  • Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan announce a partnership to cut health costs and improve services for employees.
  • The idea is to create a company that would be "free from profit-making incentives."
  • News of the deal slammed suppliers in the industry including Express Scripts, Cigna, CVS, United Health and Aetna.

Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase on Tuesday announced a partnership to cut health-care costs and improve services for their U.S. employees. The announcement slammed the shares of multiple companies in the health-care sector.

The giant companies, which together employ more than 1.1 million workers, will launch an independent operation that's intended to be free from profit-making incentives.

The new company's goal at first will be to target technology solutions to simplify the health-care system.

Details of the new company were sketchy, with principles of Amazon, Berkshire and J.P. Morgan noting that the way it will work remains to be seen. They're hoping that their sheer size will help bring the necessary scale and resources to tackle the issue.

"The ballooning costs of healthcare act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy," Berkshire CEO Warren Buffett said in a statement. "Our group does not come to this problem with answers. But we also do not accept it as inevitable. Rather, we share the belief that putting our collective resources behind the country's best talent can, in time, check the rise in health costs while concurrently enhancing patient satisfaction and outcomes."

Shares of the three companies were little changed in premarket trading.

However, shares of health-care companies fell sharply. Express Scripts sank 10 percent; Cigna was down 5 percent as was CVS and UnitedHealth, and Aetna slid about 3 percent.

Three top executives, one from each company, will take the lead on the project: Berkshire investment officer Todd Combs, J.P. Morgan's Marvelle Sullivan Berchtold and Beth Galetti, a senior vice president at Amazon.

Combs was a hedge fund manager before joining Berkshire in 2010. Berchtold was previously global head of mergers and acquisitions at drugmaker Novartis before joining J.P. Morgan last year, and Galetti was FedEx's vice president for planning, engineering and operations before joining Amazon in 2013, according to their LinkedIn profiles.

"The healthcare system is complex, and we enter into this challenge open-eyed about the degree of difficulty," said Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. "Hard as it might be, reducing healthcare's burden on the economy while improving outcomes for employees and their families would be worth the effort."

"Our people want transparency, knowledge and control when it comes to managing their healthcare," said J.P. Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon. "The three of our companies have extraordinary resources, and our goal is to create solutions that benefit our U.S. employees, their families and, potentially, all Americans."

J.P. Morgan currently uses Cigna and UnitedHealth Group to administer health benefits on a self-insured basis and Amazon uses nonprofit Premera Blue Cross, according to Evercore analysts. Amazon uses ExpressScripts as its pharmacy benefits manager, said Leerink Partners' Ana Gupte.

The move also speaks to the desire to rip apart the traditional health-care system from distinctive silos. Experts have anticipated more deals and vertical integration in wake of CVS announcing its intention to buy Aetna.

"I think it is good news," Allergan CEO Brent Saunders told CNBC. "The health-care delivery system is antiquated and in dire need of positive disruption. My hope is these three companies light the spark!"

Adam Fein, president of Pembroke Consulting, said it's "long past time" for employers like these three to force innovation into the health-care system.

"For better or worse, there are warped incentives baked into every aspect of the U.S. health-care system, from medical innovation to care delivery to insurance and benefit management," Fein told CNBC. "Rather than merely bashing the current system, I hope this new organization can help patients and their physicians make more informed and more cost-effective decisions. Technology will be necessary but not sufficient to make positive changes."

Analysts echoed the sentiment that the health-care system is outdated and ripe for disruption, paving the way for the new endeavor. However, they cautioned it could take time.

"If this winds up being the low cost provider to make insurance more affordable at employer level, it could wind up being a real disruptive competitor to an industry that has not seen any new players in years/decades," Jefferies analyst Jared Holz told CNBC. "[I'm] not going to call this black swan event yet because there are few details and would be making too many assumptions but it has potential to be."

Here's the full press release:

Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN), Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK.A, BRK.B) and JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) announced today that they are partnering on ways to address healthcare for their U.S. employees, with the aim of improving employee satisfaction and reducing costs. The three companies, which bring their scale and complementary expertise to this long-term effort, will pursue this objective through an independent company that is free from profit-making incentives and constraints. The initial focus of the new company will be on technology solutions that will provide U.S. employees and their families with simplified, high-quality and transparent healthcare at a reasonable cost.

Tackling the enormous challenges of healthcare and harnessing its full benefits are among the greatest issues facing society today. By bringing together three of the world's leading organizations into this new and innovative construct, the group hopes to draw on its combined capabilities and resources to take a fresh approach to these critical matters.

"The ballooning costs of healthcare act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy. Our group does not come to this problem with answers. But we also do not accept it as inevitable. Rather, we share the belief that putting our collective resources behind the country's best talent can, in time, check the rise in health costs while concurrently enhancing patient satisfaction and outcomes," said Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO, Warren Buffett.

"The healthcare system is complex, and we enter into this challenge open-eyed about the degree of difficulty," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO. "Hard as it might be, reducing healthcare's burden on the economy while improving outcomes for employees and their families would be worth the effort. Success is going to require talented experts, a beginner's mind, and a long-term orientation."

"Our people want transparency, knowledge and control when it comes to managing their healthcare," said Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase. "The three of our companies have extraordinary resources, and our goal is to create solutions that benefit our U.S. employees, their families and, potentially, all Americans," he added.

The effort announced today is in its early planning stages, with the initial formation of the company jointly spearheaded by Todd Combs, an investment officer of Berkshire Hathaway; Marvelle Sullivan Berchtold, a Managing Director of JPMorgan Chase; and Beth Galetti, a Senior Vice President at Amazon. The longer-term management team, headquarters location and key operational details will be communicated in due course.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/ama...se-to-partner-on-us-employee-health-care.html

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
You so right!! Its not option, its a damn RIGHT!!!
I said it before, name 2 things or anything everyone(youngest to the oldest) get for being a citizen of this so called nation??

Gtfoh if u don't like it. I'm proud of this nation. Im not leaving my folks from the south built everything here. U can go elsewhere and live with the warlords and massive poverty

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
Gtfoh if u don't like it. I'm proud of this nation. Im not leaving my folks from the south built everything here. U can go elsewhere and live with the warlords and massive poverty

Dont get me started!!! Just answer the question!! If you dont or cant answer the question, just keep surfin the net!! Its just that simple..

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
Dont get me started!!! Just answer the question!! If you dont or cant answer the question, just keep surfin the net!! Its just that simple..

I can't get u started only your relatives can do that. I don't know u personally jackass.

Freedom is 1. Going to other places I love being an American out there. Coming back to my soil and doing as I damn well please. I can live anywhere I want. Here we don't have to share water with cows,chickens etc.

2. An Opportunity to make something out of yourself

I have to spell it out for you Ive numbered what you get. I could go on and on. Been many places but I'm proud to be an American first.

I'm currently looking at my 2 yr old niece. To think if she lived elsewhere b4 she came of age she would be married off at some young age on some child bride demon sickeness via the other areas customs.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lets see how long this lasts. The US healthcare system is crazy expensive and gets pricier every year. If they can commit to insuring that many ppl at a low cost without raising the price every other month despite America's rising healthcare costs, more power to them.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Lets see how long this lasts. The US healthcare system is crazy expensive and gets pricier every year. If they can commit to insuring that many ppl at a low cost without raising the price every other month despite America's rising healthcare costs, more power to them.

Yea, one of the worlds best drop shippers with almost unmatched logistics? Somewhere pharmaceutical companies are shitting themselves

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea, one of the worlds best drop shippers with almost unmatched logistics? Somewhere pharmaceutical companies are shitting themselves
It's not just the cost of medication, the cost of medical procedures are ridiculous. Doctors are pricey. As for the cost of medication, the pharmaceutical companies set the price, I doubt Amazon can have a significant impact on lowering the price. It'll be interesting to see if Amazon and company can keep their program affordable.

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
I can't get u started only your relatives can do that. I don't know u personally jackass.

Freedom is 1. Going to other places I love being an American out there. Coming back to my soil and doing as I damn well please. I can live anywhere I want. Here we don't have to share water with cows,chickens etc.

I have to spell it out for you Ive numbered what you get. I could go on and on. Been many places but I'm proud to be an American first.

I'm currently looking at my 2 yr old niece. To think if she lived elsewhere b4 she came of age she would be married off at some young age on some child bride demon sickeness via the other areas customs.

Your one braindead kat and in need of sum serious mental help!! Your worthless!!! But we need people like you!! Put you out front to be cannon fodder!!!

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

Their stocks took an immediate hit after the announcement !!!

It's not just the cost of medication, the cost of medical procedures are ridiculous. Doctors are pricey. As for the cost of medication, the pharmaceutical companies set the price, I doubt Amazon can have a significant impact on lowering the price. It'll be interesting to see if Amazon and company can keep their program affordable.
Cost of education, equipment they use, malpractice insurance and common greed for some !!!

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Your one braindead kat and in need of sum serious mental help!! Your worthless!!! But we need people like you!! Put you out front to be cannon fodder!!!

:lol:........

..... on the flip side tho ....if you didn't have dummies to compare yourself to....how would you know that you were smart???:dunno:

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor

yea, those bastards rape so good

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:dunno:

Rest of the free world has health care as a right for ALL.

The US needs to REALLY catch up....

It's quite shameful.
...but wait bro...i thought all the pro-life conservatives want health care for everyone because...being pro-life and all.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Why is it when people compare living somewhere else other than the United States, they always pick a country with 3rd world amenities? Why not Canada or Switzerland or Sweden?

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Why is it when people compare living somewhere else other than the United States, they always pick a country with 3rd world amenities? Why not Canada or Switzerland or Sweden?
It's a standard White American move...always found it interesting as well...they always compare to China but never Germany

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im not keen on this esp where chase mahattan is involved...with j dimon as CEO, thats one stupid close minded mofo...but thats just if you ask me though. he is out of touch with whats happening for average working people and now he part of the team proposing to help fix healthcare when this mofo couldnt even understand crypto...sigh...its a cash grab man. sometimes i wonder if tyler durden had the right idea.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
and so are people with good to decent paying jobs.
There is no doubt that their affords will lead to job losses.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
They can buy in bulk. Hell the feds has where the government can't negotiate discounts for drug prices,:confused::confused::confused:

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
You so right!! Its not option, its a damn RIGHT!!!
I said it before, name 2 things or anything everyone(youngest to the oldest) get for being a citizen of this so called nation??
[CaC] freedom and Democracy[/CaC]
:hmm:

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They can buy in bulk. Hell the feds has where the government can't negotiate discounts for drug prices,:confused::confused::confused:
Can they buy open heart surgery in bulk? Deliver babies in bulk? Perform a root canal in bulk? There's more to healthcare costs than just the cost of medication.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Can they buy open heart surgery in bulk? Deliver babies in bulk? Perform a root canal in bulk? There's more to healthcare costs than just the cost of medication.
No shit Sherlock.
I was speaking to your point of the drug companies setting their prices.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was speaking to your point of tbr drug companies setting tbeir prices.
Maybe for generics, but some meds have patents that make it very difficult to simply buy in bulk.

The drug game is heavily monopolized, even Bezos admitted that disrupting the healthcare system will be challenging.

The article says their first course of action is to develop tech that can simplify the system. Clearly they're taking a measured approach, hopefully they can pull it off.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im not keen on this esp where chase mahattan is involved...with j dimon as CEO, thats one stupid close minded mofo...but thats just if you ask me though. he is out of touch with whats happening for average working people and now he part of the team proposing to help fix healthcare when this mofo couldnt even understand crypto...sigh...its a cash grab man. sometimes i wonder if tyler durden had the right idea.

Something similar has been tried repeatedly in the past by other consortia of companies with large numbers of employees. Mostly to no avail whatsoever. Good intention and desire presumably, but at best a marginal attempt at changing the grossly dysfunctional USA healthcare system.

Made ever worse by the usual group of evil frontmen and women in USA Congresses, mostly Republicans who do by far the worst damage, but also by far too many Democrats who are in the pay of suppliers into the system. Information technology plays some, albeit a relatively minor role, in all this.

Data analytics? Irrelevant except to the extent that such analytics might assist physicians and other medical service providers to make a better diagnosis of illness. The issue of ludicrously high costs in the healthcare system in the USA is 100% political.

The suppliers into the healthcare system fully control the legislators who write the legislation that dictates massive compensation to suppliers directly out of the pockets of the 330 million residents of the USA, the existence of private health insurers and so on.

Medicare for all, i.e. building upon an existing, well-tested national, non-profit service for the elderly in the USA, would do most of what is needed to reverse this high cost. Needless to say, there are also many other national systems to imitate, then improve upon, to halve the cost of medical service delivery and financing in the USA.

Amongst many other travesties in the USA, this is one of the worst and such since the middle of the 20th century when medical services became a massive money-maker for suppliers, including notably physicians and medical complexes that revolve around hospitals.

Efkie

International
International Member
US has very advanced medical treatments but if 90% of the population don’t have access to BASIC medical treatment without paying an arm and a leg then that means THAt is a big issue. Curious to see how they will solve it :cool: