$$$$$ - Amazon Adding 120,000 Workers to Meet Holiday Demand

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Amazon Adding 120,000 Workers to Meet Holiday Demand
The holidays are coming and Amazon plans to add 120,000 seasonal workers in an effort to meet an expected spike in demand as more and more people trade bricks for clicks.

The seasonal positions will be created at fulfillment centers, sorting centers and customer service sites in 27 states. The move marks a 20 percent boost from the 100,000 seasonal hires a year ago.

The move comes as online shopping growth continues to eclipse shopping at traditional stores. The National Retail Federation, based in Washington, D.C., is forecasting holiday sales for the November and December period to rise 3.6 percent to $655.8 billion, much better than the 3 percent growth seen in the year-ago period. Online shopping is expected to rise 7 to 10 percent over last year to as much as $117 billion.

Ever since capacity problems in 2013 caused some people to get packages after the holidays, Amazon has been pouring money into its distribution centers and logistics chain, opening new distribution centers and leasing its own planes and trucks to speed up delivery.

At the end of July, the company said it has 123 distribution centers globally and more than 23 sorting center, with plans to have add 21 new global fulfillment centers by the end of September; at the same point in 2015, it had added only 10.

Last year, the company said it transitioned 14,000 seasonal positions to regular, full-time jobs and it expects to boost that figure this year.

By contrast, brick-and-mortar stores holiday hiring has been relatively flat from the prior year.

Macy's plans to hire about 83,000, Kohl's Corp. plans to hire 69,000 additional workers and Target Corp. says it will hire more than 70,000, all about even from a year ago.

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Last year when my Christmas week Amazon orders came, I looked outside and saw the delivery driver in a Uhaul truck...not a UPS truck.

I was like :eek2: business is booming.

jdubbs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A lot of cats I know work at the one here. They complain big time about it but, if you have no education, you're gonna get used to those shitty manufacturing jobs here. Good place to work to get some sure drama side ass though from what I've heard...

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Their warehouses pay $13-$16 a hour
Plenty of hours too... 40 per week, then 60 after 4 weeks. Depending on where you live that's decent money.
They've been hiring like crazy in the bay area for a minute now

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
I work Amazon Flex making $18/ hr...(4 hour blocks), but you pay your own gas and no beni..but it all depends on which part of Amazon you work for.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20
UberEats is another similar concept. You get paid $3 for each delivery with a guaranteed minimum of $10/hr. You sign up for shifts in advance and the pay directly to your bank account every Wednesday. I know a couple of people who work a 4 hour day shift with Amazon Flex and a night shift with UberEats.

https://www.uber.com/signup/drive/deliver/

There are quite a few opportunities available for anyone with a reliable car and a clean (driving/criminal) record. Google is your friend. Here is a good website for all of those Ride Sharing and Delivery jobs:
http://www.ridesharingdriver.com

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
Their warehouses pay $13-$16 a hour

this is temp holiday help. aka college students on winter break or people looking to make an extra buck on the side for the holida. not for someone trying to support a family, etc....