All DoorDash employees, even the CEO, will make deliveries. At least one worker is irate

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
DoorDash ddasher
Dec 19 1,807 Comments
Mandatory "WeDash" starts from next year. You need to dash once a month. WILL BE TRACKED IN PERFORMANCE REVIEWS!!

What the actual fuck? I didn't sign up for this, there was nothing in the offer letter/job description about this.

TC: 400K

A DoorDash engineer makes an average $166,000/yr

DoorDash will require all employees, including its engineers, corporate executives and CEO Tony Xu, to complete deliveries at least once a month after reinstating its WeDash program. And an anonymous social media post revealed at least one of the company's employees isn't happy about it.

The WeDash program was created when the company was founded in 2013 as an effort to engage the company in community and philanthropic initiatives.

"It's a great program that reflects our values, brings us closer to the product and helps us build empathy for all our audiences," a DoorDash spokesperson told USA TODAY.

Employees gain "first-hand knowledge by earning credits" in a three-part training experience to better understand the marketplace. Along with being a dasher, employees are allowed to support merchants or shadow a Customer Experience agent.

The program came to a halt when the pandemic started, but officials are excited to get it running again.

"What the actual fuck? I didn't sign up for this, there was nothing in the offer letter/job description about this," read the post with over 1,700 comments. A look at a few of the comments suggested others sided with the company's value of showing empathy for their delivery driver.

Despite the criticism, DoorDash is sticking with its plans to bring back the program. "The sentiment of the employee on Blind is not a reflection of the employees base at large. This is a valued program we've had since the company's inception," said a DoorDash spokesperson.

DoorDash food deliveries will be made by engineers, executives and CEO (usatoday.com)

]

Last edited:

Mafamaticks

Rising Star
Registered
I get the sentiment, but that sounds like a waste of resources to have a person with a 6 figure salary spend 8 hours once a month doing deliveries.

If they got the bread to do that then they should just pay their drivers more

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
They
I get the sentiment, but that sounds like a waste of resources to have a person with a 6 figure salary spend 8 hours once a month doing deliveries.

If they got the bread to do that then they should just pay their drivers more

there is no overhead involved in having a CEO make one day of deliveries. Not like they ass can’t afford the gas.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
This is a bad idea!

Unlike the orders that the real couriers get staff orders are going to be hand picked. Most likely getting picking up a lunch order for their co-workers. That won't give them any real insight into what it takes to do this job. Also, this is coming at a time when doordash has done everything they possibly can to skirt the laws on contractors.

For instance, by law we're supposed to be able to log in whenever we want. They've made it so that if you want to work in a busy area you might have to schedule as much as 2 weeks in advance. Otherwise they'll deny you on the flimsy ground that they already have too many couriers in that area.

Another law says that we can turn down orders at will. Doordash has made it so that if you refuse to many orders within a certain time frame they'll no longer tell you where their food is going to. This is huge because some doordash orders can travel 20 miles or more so after gas you could actually lose money.

So no. It has nothing to do with improving the customer or courier experience. They already know what the issues are and are actively trying to make them worse. This new policy it's nothing more than an excuse for doordash to tell couriers "everything was fine when we did it so you have nothing to complain about."

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I like this, they'll have a chance to figure out what new ideas can be implemented based off personal experiences.

Anyone having a problem with this shows what they think of the people doing the actual footwork.

Why not just ask the drivers? Better yet, take their complaints seriously? Best of all, offer a staff position to veteran drivers. Have them tell the company what needs improving.

Instead they want to build company policy off the experience of someone who does a few orders a month? SMH

Mafamaticks

Rising Star
Registered
They

there is no overhead involved in having a CEO make one day of deliveries. Not like they ass can’t afford the gas.

If i'm a dev making $80 an hour, taking me offline for 8 hours to deliver food is $640. That's time you can't get back. And that money is way better spent on something more important considering the drivers probably deliver food for way less money.

As the CEO, why would I pay $640 for someone to deliver food for 8 hours when I can get it done for way less? That's where the extra overhead is. And that's just a dev. Taking a CEO offline to do that shit can potentially lose out on millions of dollars for one missed meeting or business decision.

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
If i'm a dev making $80 an hour, taking me offline for 8 hours to deliver food is $640. That's time you can't get back. And that money is way better spent on something more important considering the drivers probably deliver food for way less money.

As the CEO, why would I pay $640 for someone to deliver food for 8 hours when I can get it done for way less? That's where the extra overhead is. And that's just a dev. Taking a CEO offline to do that shit can potentially lose out on millions of dollars for one missed meeting or business decision.

You would do it to test the integrity of your workforce. So your planners/engineers understand what's truly happening at ground level.

You gonna pay that guy 640 anyway, might as well act on the fact that they will do whatever the fuck you tell them for that money. At the same time determining what your organization truly looks like.

Mafamaticks

Rising Star
Registered
You would do it to test the integrity of your workforce. So your planners/engineers understand what's truly happening at ground level.

You gonna pay that guy 640 anyway, might as well act on the fact that they will do whatever the fuck you tell them for that money. At the same time determining what your organization truly looks like.

But you'd already know what's truly happening at ground level because you already have people doing it. You're paying twice for some shit you only have to pay for once. Why all of a sudden the actual drivers aren't smart enough to tell you what's happening when they actually do deliveries and have been for way longer than a dev has?

Imagine paying $640 to a mechanic fresh out of trade school to fix your car instead of paying $120 to a licensed mechanic just 'cause "you gotta spend that money anyway." That's bad money management. You do have to spend that money, but you have to spend it wisely. It's not an infinite resource. Neither is time. If they did shit like that more often they'd be out of business.

Why not just ask the drivers? Better yet, take their complaints seriously? Best of all, offer a staff position to veteran drivers. Have them tell the company what needs improving.

Instead they want to build company policy off the experience of someone who does a few orders a month? SMH

You see it. This just some virtual signaling bullshit. And it's way shortsighted.

Last edited:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
This is a bad idea!

Unlike the orders that the real couriers get staff orders are going to be hand picked. Most likely getting picking up a lunch order for their co-workers. That won't give them any real insight into what it takes to do this job. Also, this is coming at a time when doordash has done everything they possibly can to skirt the laws on contractors.

For instance, by law we're supposed to be able to log in whenever we want. They've made it so that if you want to work in a busy area you might have to schedule as much as 2 weeks in advance. Otherwise they'll deny you on the flimsy ground that they already have too many couriers in that area.

Another law says that we can turn down orders at will. Doordash has made it so that if you refuse to many orders within a certain time frame they'll no longer tell you where their food is going to. This is huge because some doordash orders can travel 20 miles or more so after gas you could actually lose money.

So no. It has nothing to do with improving the customer or courier experience. They already know what the issues are and are actively trying to make them worse. This new policy it's nothing more than an excuse for doordash to tell couriers "everything was fine when we did it so you have nothing to complain about."
Thanks for the insight. You make a lot of sense here.

Thedod

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Amazon use to do something like this in the past, I dont know if they still do. Corporate executives were dispersed out to the Distribution facilities and put in Supervisor type roles.

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered

I'm saying that those engineers can see how great or shitty their system works and make adjustments on it vs putting anything out their just to get a check.

This is something I'd do if I was an engineer/app developer with DD. I want to see the fruits of my labor and hear what the customers are saying.

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
he better get his mind right

for $400K per anum i would be showing up with your delivery like

tCmJvx9.gif

:cool:

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is a bad idea!

I hear you, but the article says they have been doing this since 2013 and stopped during the beginning of the pandemic, so this isn’t a new policy. Looks like only the new employees that started after the pandemic are complaining. I have no issues with tech companies dogfooding (https://www.techopedia.com/definition/30784/dogfooding) if it leads to a better product.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But you'd already know what's truly happening at ground level because you already have people doing it. You're paying twice for some shit you only have to pay for once. Why all of a sudden the actual drivers aren't smart enough to tell you what's happening when they actually do deliveries and have been for way longer than a dev has?

Imagine paying $640 to a mechanic fresh out of trade school to fix your car instead of paying $120 to a licensed mechanic just 'cause "you gotta spend that money anyway." That's bad money management. You do have to spend that money, but you have to spend it wisely. It's not an infinite resource. Neither is time. If they did shit like that more often they'd be out of business.

You see it. This just some virtual signaling bullshit. And it's way shortsighted.

To be fair, the people on the ground are not developers. If there is code your team worked on, you are going to know what’s a bug or what is expected. Being able to jump in and check an exact log is much faster then weeding through a bunch of “when I do this, that happened” tickets. Dogfooding has been around for a grip. Nothing to see here honestly.

Mafamaticks

Rising Star
Registered
To be fair, the people on the ground are not developers. If there is code your team worked on, you are going to know what’s a bug or what is expected. Being able to jump in and check an exact log is much faster then weeding through a bunch of “when I do this, that happened” tickets. Dogfooding has been around for a grip. Nothing to see here honestly.

That's true.

I was just using devs as an example though. They making everybody do it. So it ain't about looking for issues with the app.

carsun1000

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
If you're a lean six sigma class, part of the process is the interaction between lead or management and customer or end user. This CEO gets it. The feedback is usually rich and objective.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's true.

I was just using devs as an example though. They making everybody do it. So it ain't about looking for issues with the app.

Oh for sure this isn’t about the app. This is more a move saying, this is our product, get to know our product. If the CEO says, everybody doing it including me, how can anyone below complain about it being a “waste” of their time.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I hear you, but the article says they have been doing this since 2013 and stopped during the beginning of the pandemic, so this isn’t a new policy. Looks like only the new employees that started after the pandemic are complaining. I have no issues with tech companies dogfooding (https://www.techopedia.com/definition/30784/dogfooding) if it leads to a better product.

The pandemic is also when doordash ratcheted up the fuckery though.

The whole practice of having to book your shift weeks in advance didn't start until around May of 2020.

Around July 2020 they lowered the base pay so much that the drivers had to rely on tips to earn a living. That's why a lot of drivers won't accept your order unless you tip up front. Doordash responded by hiding the tips so that all the courier could see was the base pay.

Another policy they started was contactless delivery. The courier is supposed to drop off the order and take a picture to prove they left it at your door. Some dishonest customers started meeting the courier out front so that they couldn't take a picture and act like they never got their food.

Whenever this happens doordash blames The courier unless they can prove otherwise. It's got to the point where some couriers wear body cams on the job just so that they don't get fired.

I'm not even going to get into the whole prop 22 scam that they were a part of in California, except to say that they're trying to roll back or just flat out ignore even those minor protections.

I don't blame those new employees one bit for a complaining. Especially if they helped put those shitty policies in place. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I'm saying that those engineers can see how great or shitty their system works and make adjustments on it vs putting anything out their just to get a check.

This is something I'd do if I was an engineer/app developer with DD. I want to see the fruits of my labor and hear what the customers are saying.

There's nothing stopping these engineers from signing up as a courier and doing deliveries on their day off. If they're truly dedicated to making the app or courier experience better let them put in the initiative.