A Different kind of Police Settlement.

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Normally I would put something like this in my Police Settlement Thread . But I think this story deserved it's own.

Little Rock settles its part of 2017 fatal police shooting outside club for $85,000

A late-arriving item for tonight’s Little Rock City Board meeting disclosed the settlement of a lawsuit over the 2017 shooting death of James Hartsfield by a police officer working security outside a Little Rock club.

iu

The settlement, at a minimum. will produce $85,000 for the family and its lawyer. 90 percent of that will be covered by the Arkansas Municipal League Legal Defense Insurance. The city will pay 10 percent of the total, as its policy requires, or $8,500. https://www.arml.org/services/benef...etails/?title=municipal-legal-defense-program
The family of James Hartsfield sued the city, Officer Brittany Gunn and the Local Union Tap, a University Avenue after-hours club, in October 2017. The club named as a plaintiff has reached a confidential settlement.

iu

According to police accounts at the time, Gunn said she suspected Hartsfield had been drinking when he arrived at Local Union to pick up a fare as a Lyft driver. Gunn and another officer attempted to pull Hartsfield out of the vehicle through the passenger door. The car began moving with Gunn and Hartsfield inside the car, and Gunn fired before the car crashed through a brick wall and landed on University Avenue. The suit alleged Gunn knew Hartsfield, had violated his rights and said the city’s lack of proper training led to this and other misuses of force by the police. The filing of the lawsuit was delayed until after a new mayor was in place, an attorney said at the time.

Gunn was cleared by the prosecutor of criminal charges in the case.