60% of NBA players are broke after 5yrs of retirement.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
The NBA Players’ Association met with the Toronto Raptors recently to discuss financial prudence among players and during that meeting cited a statistic that scared the heck out of most of the team. It was said that 60% of NBA players go broke after only 5 years of retirement! Are you kidding me?!? That statistic however is said to be an educated estimate and some players actually have a hard time believing it. The statistic could be used as a scare tactic, but it is definitely something these players should be paying attention to.

“Sixty percent is a ballpark. But we’ve seen a lot of guys who’ve really come into hard times five years after they leave the league,” said Roy Hinson, the former NBA forward who’s a representative for the players’ association. “The problems are, for a lot of guys, they have a lot of cars, they have multiple homes, and they’re taking care of their parents. They’re taking care of a whole host of issues. And the checks aren’t coming in anymore.”

“Sometimes you can stop the bleeding, and other times you can’t stop the bleeding,” said Hinson, who added that many players associate with “too many ‘yes’ people.”

We’ve all heard the stories of NBA players owning 15 cars and 5 vacation homes. The sad part is most of these players lack educations and support outside of their posses and families. Most of these players could use some legal guidance as well as financial guidance but seem at times to not be so willing. The players’ association has continually proposed a financial firm that offers players free 2nd opinions on their financials, but getting these players to act has been a challenge.

Back in October, Jason Caffey, who made an estimated $29 million during his eight-year NBA career, was in bankruptcy court seeking protection from his creditors, among them the seven women with whom he fathered eight children.

Shaquille O’Neal of the Miami Heat was in the news recently with a court document representing his annual income as well as his annual and monthly spending. The “Diesel” pays $156,000 a month just in rent and mortgages on the various properties he owns or leases and another $1500 just for his cable TV bills! Of course Shaq is on another level than most other NBA players with the simple fact that he pulls in $20 million a year in salary but this still shows you a great example of the kind of money players are capable of spending.

Remember former Chicago Bull, 6 time NBA Champion, Michael Jordan running mate and top 50 player of all-time Scottie Pippen? Just 2 years removed from retirement, Pippen was back in the news looking to make an NBA comeback to a team that was a title contender. NBA teams laughed at a Pippen return which was later rumored to be based on his poor financial standing. The rise and fall of Pippen was so drastic that he was seen overseas playing 2 games for Finnish powerhouse, Helsinki ToPo to make a little cash.
Besides the fact that players fork out all of this dough for houses, cars and cable bills you still can’t forget that many of them have multiple children from multiple women. This is yet another expense that must be accounted for and child support is one of those bills that doesn’t go away for at least 18 years. Again, you can see how 5 years removed from an NBA career with 2-3 child support payments a month and you could run out of millions pretty damn fast.

Jason Kapono of the Toronto Raptors expressed his thoughts after the players’ association presented their materials. “Going above and beyond isn’t worth it. I don’t want to be a part of that 60% that’s in trouble five years down the road. It’s a short career and I’m blessed to be earning a great salary playing basketball. But if it ended, my contract only takes me to age 30. Life expectancy is 80-plus. So I’ve got another 50 years. Do I really need to buy another car?”

hanginbals

Team NoPullOut
OG Investor
You son!! You heard that new group!!!

epmd_unfinishe_101b.jpg

bizzyboddy

Star
Registered
LMAO probably because these Broads are taken all there money. Aint no way in hell you can blow away all that money in a few years.

Frank_The_Tank

Potential Star
Registered
probably because not too many of them had the right people in their corner...and they had those "basketball is the only thing important in life" types around....so they lack in education...and get game ran on em by these triflin ass bitches who set up shop in the big ass house and fuck all kinds of folks while their on the road and wait til u hit the peak or downfall of ur career and sting ur ass with divorce and get half...not to mention you just had to have the bentley GT in all colors...but u failed to educate urself on investing and things that will have ur money makin money...

fuck it...im out...lol

Eastwood

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A crying shame! I think 60% is about right look at Sprewell when you got guys buying 15 cars and all this bling it makes you wonder what is really important. This is when they have the chance to own businesses to keep the money coming in. Look at Oprah.

:smh:

maniaco78

Potential Star
Registered
You son!! You heard that new group!!!

epmd_unfinishe_101b.jpg

Damn man, I guess nobody followed up on your joke huh, I guess you all on your own on this one...:lol: it's like the fool that wants to start clapping and nobody follows him...:dance: wait up, let me back you up...

Ya'll heard about this rookie Chicago has...
p1_michaeljordan_1986.jpg

his name is Michael Jordan...

How was that homie???

Just fucking with you man, PEACE!!

audio syndicate

Social Critic At-Large
BGOL Investor
slave system produces slaves with slave mentality, now go put those tap dancing shoes back on and make that layup :)

hanginbals

Team NoPullOut
OG Investor
Damn man, I guess nobody followed up on your joke huh, I guess you all on your own on this one...:lol: it's like the fool that wants to start clapping and nobody follows him...:dance: wait up, let me back you up...

Ya'll heard about this rookie Chicago has...
p1_michaeljordan_1986.jpg

his name is Michael Jordan...

How was that homie???

Just fucking with you man, PEACE!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yo, you seen this cat sneakers!!! Im a cop a pair:lol::lol:

Suavehova

Support BGOL
Registered
They all want to live that nice lifestyle. If it were me... I wouldn't dare have jewlry... waste of money... but yeah I'd probabably have a few homes. I have no idea why they are paying mortgages they can afford to buy stuff out right.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
I can believe the stats.

Think logically. Even by INFLATION ADJUSTED standards NBA players did not start earning mega money until the mid 1980's. The league has been around since 1946. So you have to factor in ALL of the players.

Yup like someone said a fool and his money are soon parted. Most of the players don't think about their financial future.

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Here's the part that got me:

Back in October, Jason Caffey, who made an estimated $29 million during his eight-year NBA career, was in bankruptcy court seeking protection from his creditors, among them the seven women with whom he fathered eight children.

What in the world :smh: Does no one use condoms anymore?

buck_ya_bitch

Star
Registered
it's the child support that kills these niggas..
even after retirement..
they still got to make those massive child support payments like when they were in the league..
plus taxes..
dudes really do get taxed 40% of there earning..
moral of the story..
them niggas need to start wearing condoms..
and get a couple mcdonalds franchises so they have cash flow after retirement...

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The NBA Players’ Association met with the Toronto Raptors recently to discuss financial prudence among players and during that meeting cited a statistic that scared the heck out of most of the team. It was said that 60% of NBA players go broke after only 5 years of retirement! Are you kidding me?!? That statistic however is said to be an educated estimate and some players actually have a hard time believing it. The statistic could be used as a scare tactic, but it is definitely something these players should be paying attention to.

“Sixty percent is a ballpark. But we’ve seen a lot of guys who’ve really come into hard times five years after they leave the league,” said Roy Hinson, the former NBA forward who’s a representative for the players’ association. “The problems are, for a lot of guys, they have a lot of cars, they have multiple homes, and they’re taking care of their parents. They’re taking care of a whole host of issues. And the checks aren’t coming in anymore.”

“Sometimes you can stop the bleeding, and other times you can’t stop the bleeding,” said Hinson, who added that many players associate with “too many ‘yes’ people.”

We’ve all heard the stories of NBA players owning 15 cars and 5 vacation homes. The sad part is most of these players lack educations and support outside of their posses and families. Most of these players could use some legal guidance as well as financial guidance but seem at times to not be so willing. The players’ association has continually proposed a financial firm that offers players free 2nd opinions on their financials, but getting these players to act has been a challenge.

Shaquille O’Neal of the Miami Heat was in the news recently with a court document representing his annual income as well as his annual and monthly spending. The “Diesel” pays $156,000 a month just in rent and mortgages on the various properties he owns or leases and another $1500 just for his cable TV bills! Of course Shaq is on another level than most other NBA players with the simple fact that he pulls in $20 million a year in salary but this still shows you a great example of the kind of money players are capable of spending.

Remember former Chicago Bull, 6 time NBA Champion, Michael Jordan running mate and top 50 player of all-time Scottie Pippen? Just 2 years removed from retirement, Pippen was back in the news looking to make an NBA comeback to a team that was a title contender. NBA teams laughed at a Pippen return which was later rumored to be based on his poor financial standing. The rise and fall of Pippen was so drastic that he was seen overseas playing 2 games for Finnish powerhouse, Helsinki ToPo to make a little cash.
Besides the fact that players fork out all of this dough for houses, cars and cable bills you still can’t forget that many of them have multiple children from multiple women. This is yet another expense that must be accounted for and child support is one of those bills that doesn’t go away for at least 18 years. Again, you can see how 5 years removed from an NBA career with 2-3 child support payments a month and you could run out of millions pretty damn fast.

Jason Kapono of the Toronto Raptors expressed his thoughts after the players’ association presented their materials. “Going above and beyond isn’t worth it. I don’t want to be a part of that 60% that’s in trouble five years down the road. It’s a short career and I’m blessed to be earning a great salary playing basketball. But if it ended, my contract only takes me to age 30. Life expectancy is 80-plus. So I’ve got another 50 years. Do I really need to buy another car?”

BLACKS OR WHITES?

on a flipside, with those massive houses and maintenance expenses i am not surprised at all...just check out the MTV cribs you will se the difference btn a black baller and a white player

Its like someone just injected us with ignorance nut its good to know that most brothers are waking up now

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Rember we talking about people who know only one thing...basketball. Most have a bullshit education and people ridig their coattails instead of looking out for them.

Instead of buying that next house, buy a car dealership.

Instead of that $500,000 chain, buy a Burger King.

See but the people around them don't have the sophistication to think that way. Nope, all they wanna know is where the white woman groupies at?

yekwol

Banned

BLACKS OR WHITES?

on a flipside, with those massive houses and maintenance expenses i am not surprised at all...just check out the MTV cribs you will se the difference btn a black baller and a white player

Its like someone just injected us with ignorance nut its good to know that most brothers are waking up now

Those white players are use to having money. Or having friends/family with a lot of money. We're still brand new. The white people have already done this before.
Decades ago. We'll learn. Don't worry.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ive read the reply's and I dont think its one thing over the other that causes these players to go broke rather than it is going from "Not having" too "Having" or being able to "afford".
The reality of it all is that you cant say what you would do and wouldn't do until really in that situation and being young doesn't help matters,its really a learning experience,some learn faster than others and some never do.

Yogi Bear

Star
OG Investor
There is a difference between being smart with money and foolish with it too.

I wonder what the stats are on hockey players. The Caps used to park at my girl's job and they were driving "normal" cars. Only a few had s600, A8's or Escalades. One had a Maserati. Two of those fools were driving Civic's.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't feel sorry for any of them. For $1000 they could've saved themselves millions. Of course I'm talking about a VASECTOMY. Easy procedure and reversible if they actually want kids. Hell, I'm already planning mine, before I finish dental school. "Naw it ain't mine, bitch" and if she wants to get married......"we want prenup! we want prenup!" :cool:

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wonder what the stats are on hockey players. The Caps used to park at my girl's job and they were driving "normal" cars. Only a few had s600, A8's or Escalades. One had a Maserati. Two of those fools were driving Civic's.

I dunno Civics last a looooong time. I still got my 83 Civic waiting for my daughter to learn how to drive.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I don't feel sorry for any of them. For $1000 they could've saved themselves millions. Of course I'm talking about a VASECTOMY. Easy procedure and reversible if they actually want kids. Hell, I'm already planning mine, before I finish dental school. "Naw it ain't mine, bitch" and if she wants to get married......"we want prenup! we want prenup!" :cool:

You are in the 15% of the population with a brain.

Most men are sucker for love ass muthafuckas. They get married with no pre nup.

They get dingbats knocked up.

I bet 60% of these players are broke after 5 years, but I also bet 95% of their hos and ex wives are living good!!!!!!!!!

I never understood men getting married without an iron clad pre nup, they deserve to be broke!!!!

Buying 10 cars and 5 houses aint shit compared to what one gold digging bitch can do to you, plus you gotta pay her legal fees and yours!!!!!!!

Kobe gonna lose bout 200 million with his broad when its all said and done!!!!!!

TCapone

Potential Star
Registered
:lol: Damn! nba = tricks & simps & for those that don't follow the rules by saying it ain't tricking if you got it :smh:the rules dont change for no one. I'm pretty sure the nfl & mlb stats are the same too. Just too many selfish dumb niggaz with money buying DUMB shit, tricking, simping & never doing anything for their hometown except a summer basketball ball camp. Like that dave chappelle episode.:smh: