1979 The Greatest Year In R&B?

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Isaac_Hayes_Don%27t_Let_Go.jpg

Don't Let Go is the fourteenth studio album by American soul musician Isaac Hayes. The album was released in 1979, by Polydor Records.[1] The album debuted at number 39 on the Billboard 200.

220px-Curtis_Mayfield_-_Heartbeat_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Heartbeat is an album by Curtis Mayfield. This 1979 offering mixed disco rhythms with soul balladeering. Future Temptation Ron Tyson contributed to some of the songwriting and production. "Tell Me, Tell Me (How Ya Like to be Loved)" was remixed for a 12" by Fred Breitberg and Michael Hearn.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Doyouwannagopartyalbum.jpg

Do You Wanna Go Party is the sixth studio album by the funk and disco group KC and the Sunshine Band. The album was produced by Harry Wayne Casey and Richard Finch and was released in June 1979 on the TK label.
Do You Wanna Go Party contains the group's last number one hit in the US, "Please Don't Go". The title track was a moderate hit, with more success on the R&B chart, reaching the top ten.

220px-BustinLoose_album.png

Bustin' Loose is a studio album released in 1979 by the Washington, D.C.-based go-goband Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers.The album includes the charting single and one of the all-time classic go-go songs "Bustin' Loose".
On August 10, 1979, Bustin' Loose was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, for shipments of 500,000 copies in the United States.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-ArethaLaDiva.jpg

La Diva is the twenty-fifth studio album by American singer Aretha Franklin, Released on September 6, 1979 by Atlantic Records. The album marked the end of Aretha's 12-year tenure with Atlantic and a run of 19 original albums.

220px-Pattialrightwithme.jpg

It's Alright with Me is recording artist Patti LaBelle's third album, released on Epic Records on March 2, 1979. The album was produced by hitmaker Skip Scarborough. The album became successful upon release due to the popularity of the songs "Come What May" and "Music is My Way of Life", the latter finding chart success on the dance chart. "Come What May" became a popular song during LaBelle's live showcases shortly after its release.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-James_Brown_The_Original_Disco_Man.jpg

The Original Disco Man is the 48th studio album by American musician James Brown. The album was released in July 1979, by Polydor Records.

cmr775.jpg

Given the gleefully irreverent album cover (featuring the bewildered artist in seriously bold threads, sitting on a tricycle flanked by three female gas station attendants), listeners know that they're in for a fun time before WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? even begins. This 1979 record finds Johnny "Guitar" Watson in a serious funk mode, a fact made immediately clear by the surging opening title track, on which the Texas-born Watson muses about the YWCA and ponders unemployment over a dense, Parliament-worthy backdrop. While Watson does indulge in some of his signature bluesy, pyrotechnic six-string playing, this is a giddy funk/R&B outing that's steeped in thick keyboard and bass lines, and it stands as an underrated gem of the late '70s.

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor
Prince Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad has a guitar riff at the end that’s one of the best I’ve ever heard. Amazing. Didn’t know that song was considered R&B.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Barrylovetosing.jpg

I Love to Sing the Songs I Sing is the self-produced ninth album by American R&B singer Barry White, released in 1979 on the 20th Century-Fox Records label.

220px-Barrymessage.jpg

The Message Is Love is the self-produced tenth album by American R&B singer Barry White, released in 1979. It was White's first release on his own CBS-affiliated custom label, Unlimited Gold, following his departure from long-time label 20th Century-Fox Records, and advance interest was high. The album however proved a disappointment both critically and commercially. However, the album was still certified RIAA Gold. Lacking an obvious hit single to provide sales impetus, it stalled outside the R&B top 10 (peaking at #14) and could only reach #67 on the pop chart.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Iloveyousoalbumcover.jpg

I Love You So is a 1979 album by American singer Natalie Cole. Released on March 19, 1979 by Capitol Records, The album reached peak positions of number 52 on the Billboard 200 and number 11 on the Billboard R&B Albums chart

220px-Deniece_Williams_-_When_Love_Comes_Calling.jpg

When Love Comes Calling is an album by American singer Deniece Williams issued in June 1979 on ARC/Columbia.[3] The album peaked at No. 27 on the Billboard Top Soul Albums chart. When Love Comes Calling was produced by Ray Parker Jr. and David Foster. Artists such as Maurice White, Bill Champlin of Chicago and Toto's Steve Lukather guested on the album.

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
Brotha, your right about IT!!! The best music!! Am hoping that music will comeback again, same music but new artist!! These younger folks gotta feel that vibe!!

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Amii_Stewart_-_Knock_On_Wood.jpg

Knock on Wood is a studio album by Amii Stewart released in February 1979. The album yielded two successful single releases, "Knock on Wood" (#1 US Pop, #6 US R&B, #5 US Club Play, #6 UK, #13 Germany) and "Light My Fire / 137 Disco Heaven" (#69 US Pop, #36 US R&B, #5 UK, #26 Germany).

220px-Anita_Ward_-_Songs_Of_Love_.jpg

Songs of Love is the debut studio album by American singer Anita Ward released on T.K. Records. It includes the chart-topping hit single "Ring My Bell".

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Disco_fever_cover.jpeg

Disco Fever is the eighth album by the Los Angeles, California-based R&B group the Sylvers, released in 1979. This was their second and last album for Casablanca Records.

220px-The_Manhattans_Love_Talk_album.jpg

Love Talk is the tenth studio album by American vocal group, The Manhattans, released in 1979 through Columbia Records.
The album peaked at No. 20 on the R&B albums chart. It also reached No. 141 on the Billboard 200. The album features the singles "Here Comes the Hurt Again", which peaked at No. 29 on the Hot Soul Singles chart, and "The Way We Were" / "Memories", which reached No. 33 on the same chart.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Amii_Stewart_-_Knock_On_Wood.jpg

Knock on Wood is a studio album by Amii Stewart released in February 1979. The album yielded two successful single releases, "Knock on Wood" (#1 US Pop, #6 US R&B, #5 US Club Play, #6 UK, #13 Germany) and "Light My Fire / 137 Disco Heaven" (#69 US Pop, #36 US R&B, #5 UK, #26 Germany).

220px-Anita_Ward_-_Songs_Of_Love_.jpg

Songs of Love is the debut studio album by American singer Anita Ward released on T.K. Records. It includes the chart-topping hit single "Ring My Bell".
She was sexy. That outfit and fine body was almost too sexy for its time.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Tyrone_Davis_In_The_Mood_Album_cover.jpg

In the Mood with Tyrone Davis is a Tyrone Davis album released in 1979. This was his fourth Columbia Records release.
The album's lead single, "In the Mood", peaked at No. 6 on the Billboard Hot Soul Singles chart. The follow up, "Ain't Nothing I Can Do", reached No. 72 on the soul singles chart.

R-105128-1491087201-5554-jpeg.jpg

I Want You, an Album by Wilson Pickett. Released in November 1979 on EMI America.
"I Want You" is a rock-sold collection of bass-propelled boogie and funk. It includes shimmering songs like "Shameless", "Superstar" and the title track, a modern soul classic - plus of course the trademark grit, passion, and poorhouse vocal performances of the Wicked One through and through!

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-L.T.D._Devotion_album.jpg

Devotion is the sixth studio album by American band, L.T.D., released in 1979 through A&M Records.
The album peaked at No. 5 on the R&B albums chart. It also reached No. 29 on the Billboard 200. The album features the singles "Dance 'N' Sing 'N'", which peaked at No. 15 on the Hot Soul Singles chart, and "Stranger", which charted at No. 14 on the same chart.

Inspirationmaze.jpg

Inspiration is the third album by Bay Area-based R&B group Maze. Released in 1979 on Capitol Records.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The_Three_Degrees_-_3D.jpg

3D is a studio album by vocal trio The Three Degrees released in late 1979. The album, which was produced by Giorgio Moroder and Harold Faltermeyer, yielded two successful single releases, "Jump The Gun" and "My Simple Heart".,"Without You" and "Starlight" were also released as singles, but failed to make any impact on the singles chart. In the US "Set Me Free" was released and was a hit in the clubs and US Disco Charts. The album peaked at #61 in the UK album charts.

220px-Priority_%28album%29.JPG

Priority is the sixth studio album by the Pointer Sisters, released in 1979 on the Planet label. Their second venture with producer Richard Perry, it was also their second venture into rock. The album peaked at number 72 on the Billboard 200 and reached number 44 on the R&B albums chart. Two singles were released, "Blind Faith" and "Who Do You Love". Both songs failed to reach the Billboard Hot 100.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can easily make the case that any year from the 70s was the greatest year in R&B. 1979 was just another year full of classics. Here are three more to add to the mix:​

Supercharged.jpg

The album was released early in 1980, but, this classic was straight out of 1979.

Wansel.jpg

Ayers.jpg

Grover.jpg

Last edited:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

ineedmymoney

:)
BGOL Investor
I don't know if I would say 1979 was The GOAT year for R&B but some great classic timeless jams came out that year.

Rank Artist Title
1 Anita Ward ►Ring My Bell
2 Spinners ►Working My Way Back to You
3 Peaches & Herb ►Reunited
4 Parliament ►Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)
5 Michael Jackson ►Rock with You
6 Chic ►Good Times
7 Michael Jackson ►Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
8 Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers ►Bustin' Loose Part 1
9 Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer ►No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
10 Captain & Tennille ►Do That to Me One More Time
11 Donna Summer ►Bad Girls
12 Earth, Wind & Fire ►September
13 The Commodores ►Still
14 Cheryl Lynn ►Got To Be Real
15 Billy Preston & Syreeta ►With You I'm Born Again
16 Kool & the Gang ►Ladies' Night
17 The Isley Brothers ►I Wanna Be With You (Part I)
18 Sister Sledge ►We Are Family
19 Donna Summer ►Hot Stuff
20 Earth, Wind & Fire ►After the Love Has Gone
21 Earth, Wind & Fire ►Boogie Wonderland
22 Sister Sledge ►He's the Greatest Dancer
23 McFadden & Whitehead ►Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
24 Teri DeSario ►Yes, I'm Ready
25 Prince ►I Wanna Be Your Lover
26 Peabo Bryson ►I'm So Into You
27 GQ ►Disco Nights (Rock-Freak)
28 The Jacksons ►Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
29 Instant Funk ►I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)
30 Cameo ►I Just Want To Be
31 Herb Alpert ►Rise
32 Stevie Wonder ►Send One Your Love
33 Shalamar ►The Second Time Around
34 Rufus & Chaka Khan ►Do You Love What You Feel
35 Gene Chandler ►Get Down
36 Smokey Robinson ►Cruisin'
37 Con Funk Shun ►Chase Me
38 Amii Stewart ►Knock on Wood
39 Raydio ►You Can't Change That
40 Lakeside ►It's All The Way Live (Part 1)
41 Michael Jackson ►Off the Wall
42 The Sugarhill Gang ►Rapper's Delight
43 George Benson ►Love Ballad
44 Peaches & Herb ►Shake Your Groove Thing
45 Ashford & Simpson ►Found a Cure
46 The Gap Band ►Shake
47 Gloria Gaynor ►I Will Survive
48 Chic ►I Want Your Love
49 The Commodores ►Sail On
50 Foxy ►Hot Number
51 Funkadelic ►(Not Just) Knee Deep - Part 1
52 Tavares ►Never Had A Love Like This Before
53 Rod Stewart ►Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?
54 Bobby Caldwell ►What You Won't Do For Love
55 Kenny Loggins ►This Is It
56 Nature's Divine ►I Just Can't Control Myself
57 Teddy Pendergrass ►Turn Off the Lights
58 Tyrone Davis ►In The Mood
59 GQ ►I Do Love You
60 The O'Jays ►Sing A Happy Song
61 Hot Chocolate ►Every 1's A Winner
62 Bell & James ►Livin' It Up (Friday Night)
63 Evelyn King ►I Don't Know If It's Right
64 Donna Summer with Brooklyn Dreams ►Heaven Knows
65 Maze featuring Frankie Beverly ►Feel That You're Feelin'
66 The Jones Girls ►You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else
67 The Bar-Kays ►Move Your Boogie Body
68 Teena Marie ►I'm A Sucker For Your Love
69 Rick James ►Bustin' Out
70 Mass Production ►Firecracker
71 Donna Summer ►Dim All the Lights
72 Grey & Hanks ►Dancin'
73 KC & The Sunshine Band ►Do You Wanna Go Party
74 GQ ►Make My Dreams A Reality
75 Stephanie Mills ►What Cha Gonna Do with My Lovin'
76 Narada Michael Walden ►I Don't Want Nobody Else (To Dance With You)
77 The Commodores ►Wonderland
78 David Ruffin ►Break My Heart
79 Delegation ►Oh, Honey
80 Third World ►Now That We Found Love
81 Isaac Hayes ►Don't Let Go
82 Herb Alpert ►Rotation
83 Natalie Cole ►Stand By
84 Bar-Kays ►Holy Ghost
85 The O'Jays ►Forever Mine
86 Five Special ►Why Leave Us Alone
87 Edwin Starr ►Contact
88 Diana Ross ►The Boss
89 Alton McClain & Destiny ►It Must Be Love
90 Earth, Wind & Fire ►Star
91 Switch ►I Call Your Name
92 Pleasure ►Glide
93 Bonnie Pointer ►Free Me From My Freedom/Tie Me To A Tree (Handcuff Me)
94 Bee Gees ►Too Much Heaven
95 Lou Rawls ►Let Me Be Good To You
96 Gary's Gang ►Keep On Dancin'
97 Shalamar ►Take That To The Bank
98 Chic ►My Feet Keep Dancing
99 Dionne Warwick ►I'll Never Love This Way Again
100 Peter Brown ►Crank It Up (Funky Town)

https://playback.fm/charts/rnb/1979
SuperFacts!

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R-788768-1159043709-jpeg.jpg

Stay Free by Ashford & Simpson released in1979
Front-loaded with singles “Found A Cure” (a Top 40 pop hit), “Nobody Knows” and the title track.
The gold-certified STAY FREE offers musical liberation that's both sophisticated and danceable.

612gtegwc-TL-SL1000.jpg

Twice the Fire, an Album by Peaches & Herb. Released in 1979 on Polydor

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
George_Benson_-_Livin%27_Inside_Your_Love.jpg

Livin' Inside Your Love is the seventeenth album by jazz guitarist George Benson which was released in 1979. In the United States, it was certified Gold by the RIAA.

StevieWonder-JourneyThroughtheSecretLifeofPlants.jpg

Stevie Wonder's Journey Through "The Secret Life of Plants" is an album by Stevie Wonder, originally released on the Tamla Motown label on October 30, 1979 (see 1979 in music). It is the soundtrack to the documentary The Secret Life of Plants, directed by Walon Green, which was based on the book of the same name by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
George_Benson_-_Livin%27_Inside_Your_Love.jpg

Livin' Inside Your Love is the seventeenth album by jazz guitarist George Benson which was released in 1979. In the United States, it was certified Gold by the RIAA.

StevieWonder-JourneyThroughtheSecretLifeofPlants.jpg

Stevie Wonder's Journey Through "The Secret Life of Plants" is an album by Stevie Wonder, originally released on the Tamla Motown label on October 30, 1979 (see 1979 in music). It is the soundtrack to the documentary The Secret Life of Plants, directed by Walon Green, which was based on the book of the same name by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird.

When I was a kid, The Mom's used to play her records in the building lobby whenever The Super had tenant parties. The Mom's was known for having all the latest music in our building. Hell. She was one of the very few people in the neighborhood who was hipped to Reggae when no one else cared for it.

I'll never forget when she bought "JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS" and she played it at a building party. People were like "WHAT DA FUCK???" She got joked on for it. She was so pissed. Not only at those tenants. But at Stevie for this being a follow-up to "SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE" LOL

Other than Jazz, I loved Progressive Rock in those days. So to Me, "PLANTS" was on the level of YES, Pink Floyd, etc. Shit is still a Musical and Technological MASTERPIECE as far as I'm concerned. That record was further proof that Stevie was way ahead of his time.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-Feel_No_Fret_%28AWB%29.jpg

Feel No Fret is the seventh album by Scottish funk and R&B band Average White Band (also AWB) released in 1979 on the RCA label in the United Kingdom and the Atlantic label in the United States.
It reached No. 15 in the UK charts,[2] with 15 weeks in total on the charts,[3] and No. 32 in the US charts.

220px-Towerofpower_backinthestreets.jpg

Back on the Streets is an album by Tower of Power released in 1979. This was their last album with Columbia Records. The title derives from the song "Back on the Streets Again" from their debut album East Bay Grease.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
78-85 Was could have been the greatest period of music ever, you had the start of rap, punk, disco was still there, classic rock, reggae was starting to really blow up, plus all the RnB classics listed in this thread.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Roads_of_life.jpg

Roads of Life is the twelfth studio album by American musician Bobby Womack. The album was released in 1979, by Arista Records. It was dedicated to his late son Truth Womack (January 27, 1978 – June 2, 1978). The album was Bobby Womack's only album for Arista Records.

Sly-right-track.jpg

Back on the Right Track is the ninth album by Sly and the Family Stone, released by Warner Bros. Records in 1979. The album was, as its title alludes to, an overt comeback attempt for Sly Stone. However, the album and its singles, "Remember Who You Are" and "The Same Thing (Makes You Laugh, Makes You Cry)", failed to live up to expectations.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
51V1KeWe4JL._SX466_.jpg

Straight to the Point is the second studio album by Atlantic Starr and released April 25, 1979 Produced by Bobby Eli, founding member and lead guitarist of Philadelphia studio group MFSB.

71hwUDMeYiL._SL1194_.jpg

One Way Featuring Al Hudson and was also released in 1979. The album included the long 12" version of "You Can Do It".

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
1982 had much better songs.

Artist Title
1 Culture Club ►Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?
2 Marvin Gaye ►Sexual Healing
3 Stevie Wonder ►That Girl
4 Dazz Band ►Let It Whip
5 Culture Club ►Time (Clock of the Heart)
6 Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney ►The Girl Is Mine
7 Lionel Richie ►Truly
8 Musical Youth ►Pass the Dutchie
9 Evelyn King ►Love Come Down
10 George Benson ►Turn Your Love Around
11 Daryl Hall & John Oates ►I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
12 Thomas Dolby ►She Blinded Me with Science
13 Ray Parker Jr ►The Other Woman
14 Deniece Williams ►It's Gonna Take a Miracle
15 Aretha Franklin ►Jump to It
16 Stevie Wonder ►Do I Do
17 Diana Ross ►Mirror, Mirror
18 Jennifer Holliday ►And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going
19 The Gap Band ►Early in the Morning
20 Tom Tom Club ►Genius Of Love
21 Junior ►Mama Used to Say
22 Donna Summer ►Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)
23 Skyy ►Call Me
24 Diana Ross ►Muscles
25 Bobby Womack ►If You Think You're Lonely Now
26 Patrice Rushen ►Forget Me Nots
27 Fat Larry's Band ►Zoom
28 Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder ►Ebony and Ivory
29 The Gap Band ►You Dropped a Bomb on Me
30 Cheryl Lynn (with Luther Vandross) ►If This World Were Mine
31 Richard Dimples Fields ►If It Ain't One Thing...It's Another
32 Michael McDonald ►I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)
33 Atlantic Starr ►Circles
34 Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five ►The Message
35 Smokey Robinson ►Tell Me Tomorrow
36 Cheri ►Murphy's Law
37 Prince ►1999
38 Kool & The Gang ►Get Down On It
39 Jeffrey Osborne ►I Really Don't Need No Light
40 Lakeside ►I Want To Hold Your Hand
41 Kool & the Gang ►Let's Go Dancin' (Ooh La La La)
42 Kool & the Gang ►Big Fun
43 Bloodstone ►We Go A Long Way Back
44 Jermaine Jackson ►Let Me Tickle Your Fancy
45 Shalamar ►A Night to Remember
46 Melba Moore ►Love's Comin' at Ya
47 Janet Jackson ►Young Love
48 Rick James ►Dance Wit' Me (Part 1)
49 Afrika Bambaataa ►Planet Rock
50 Ray Parker Jr ►Let Me Go
51 Zapp ►Dance Floor (Part I)
52 Aurra ►Make Up Your Mind
53 Luther Vandross ►Bad Boy/Having a Party
54 Peabo Bryson ►Let The Feeling Flow
55 Imagination ►Music and Lights
56 Xavier ►Work That Sucker To Death
57 Teddy Pendergrass ►You're My Latest, My Greatest Inspiration
58 The Time ►777-9311
59 One Way ►Cutie Pie
60 Dionne Warwick ►Heartbreaker
61 Howard Johnson ►So Fine
62 Odyssey ►Inside Out
63 The Whispers ►In The Raw
64 Jeffrey Osborne ►On the Wings of Love
65 Bar-Kays ►Do It (Let Me See You Shake)
66 Donna Summer ►The Woman in Me
67 The Temptations featuring Rick James ►Standing on the Top (Part 1)
68 Vanity 6 ►Nasty Girl
69 Sonny Charles ►Put It in a Magazine
70 Stacy Lattisaw ►Don't Throw It All Away
71 O'Bryan ►The Gigolo
72 Prince ►Let's Work
73 Junior ►Too Late
74 Quincy Jones featuring James Ingram ►One Hundred Ways
75 L.T.D. ►Kickin' Back
76 Zapp ►Doo Wa Ditty (Blow That Thing)
77 Cameo ►Flirt
78 Ray Parker Jr ►Bad Boy
79 Luther Vandross ►Don't You Know That?
80 Ashford & Simpson ►Street Corner
81 Cameo ►Just Be Yourself
82 A Taste of Honey ►I'll Try Something New
83 Sister Sledge ►My Guy
84 Stevie Wonder ►Ribbon in the Sky
85 Barry White ►Change
86 The Time ►Cool (Part 1)
87 Kool & The Gang ►Steppin' Out
88 Bootsy's Rubber Band ►Body Slam!
89 D Train ►You're the One for Me
90 The Brothers Johnson ►Welcome To The Club
91 The Jonzun Crew ►Pack Jam (Look Out For The OVC)
92 The O'Jays ►Your Body's Here With Me (But Your Mind's On The Other Side Of Town)
93 Stephanie Mills ►Keep Away Girls
94 War ►Outlaw
95 George Benson ►Never Give Up on a Good Thing
96 Tavares ►A Penny for Your Thoughts
97 Grover Washington, Jr. ►Be Mine (Tonight)
98 Atlantic Starr ►Love Me Down
99 Goodie ►Do Something
100 Pia Zadora ►The Clapping Song
Any list that includes Pia Zadora don't count. Stick to the Canadian charts.