༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Ingredients
Macaroni:
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup grated onion (use a rasp or box grater)
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 cups half-and-half, at room temperature
  • 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
Dish:
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 4 cups (16 ounces) Italian 5-cheese blend of shredded provolone, mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano and asiago
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) Mexican 4-cheese blend of shredded Colby, Monterey Jack, Cheddar and manchego
  • 3 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
  • 1 cup fried onions, such as French's, coarsely chopped
Directions

Watch how to make this recipe.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the macaroni: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni to al dente according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.

For the sauce: In a large saucepot on medium heat, add the butter, onion, Worcestershire sauce, flour, paprika and a few pinches of salt as well as black pepper. Cook for a few minutes while stirring, then add the half-and-half and cream cheese. Cook until the mixture begins to simmer.

For the dish: Butter the sides and bottom of a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish or lasagna pan. Mix both cheese blends together in a large bowl.

Put the scallions and cooked macaroni in a large bowl and toss in 4 cups of the shredded cheese. Pour over the sauce and stir, shake, jiggle and tap the bottom of the bowl lightly to make sure the sauce seeps completely into the nooks and crannies. Pour this mixture into the prepared dish. Toss the fried onions with the remaining 2 cups of cheese and sprinkle over the top. Bake until the top is melted and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.

Cook's Note
Have less time? You don't need to bake this if you don't have time: just serve it after stirring in the scallions, pasta and cheese sauce.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Shar B.291 days ago
I was excited to make this for Mother's Day. The preparation was very easy. I made some minor changes like added more cheddar cheese for a sharper cheese flavor and left out the Worcestershire sauce (allergy). My family enjoyed it but its not a recipe I would make again. My son said it was OK.
  • Comment
2X8JyvLuQmaNvheQNesu_image.jpg

Picholine289 days ago
You did not make the recipe...so
  • Comment
picture

FacebookUser_x2.png

Tracy R.305 days ago
I made this tonight to go with some ribs and it was very good. I made it exactly as directed except for adding more scallions (I had no use for the extra ones so I just threw them all in). The only thing I would change would be to add sharp cheddar in the place of the Mexican blend just for more tang. The family suggested added diced cooked bacon or ham the next time as well as some diced jalapeno for a little heat (we like spicy!). Overall we love the recipe as is and would only change it up just for some variation once in a while.
  • +2
  • Comment
44_medthumb_hor.gif

Chef jbudkid305 days ago
We too were disappointed.... First it needs a bigger pan...Too much pasta and sauce for a 9 x 13. Also I was so bummed about the sauce, not enough flavor.
  • Comment
40_medthumb_hor.gif

FacebookUser_x2.png

candl1997-41356296 days ago
One of the things I've noticed about Sunny's dishes is that they are a good start. I take them and "jazz them up", as my hubby says!

• Comment

mpsccook305 days ago
Hate to say it, but we were really disappointed with this. It gets points for being gooey for sure, and we liked the fried onions on top, but there was just not a lot of cheese flavor. I think that a lot of the cheeses in those blends are really mild, and even the ones that are more assertive in flavor, such as the asiago, are used in such small quantities in the blends that they really don't come through. We just didn't think it tasted cheesy. I usually use a mix of smoked gouda and cheddar in my mac and cheese, along with some ground mustard to boost the flavor of the bechamel, and we think we'll stick with that one next time.