► Fast food salad myth

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

http://www.straight.com/blogra/452706/fast-food-salad-myth

Fast food salad myth
by Lara Smith on May 16th, 2015 at 6:10 PM

I've never had a good feeling about salads in fast-food restaurants.

The other day, I was eating a small taco in a food court when I noticed this attractive, well-dressed woman savouring a massive taco salad. I thought to myself that I should have ordered that.

However, I'm glad I didn't because a lot of these salads are high on sodium and calories.

The Taco Bell fiesta salad with beef zooms in at 780 calories with a skyrocketing sodium count of 1,590 milligrams, according to the company website. (Your recommended daily sodium intake should be between 1,000 to 1,500 milligrams, according to Health Canada.)

McDonald's premium bacon ranch salad with crispy chicken is 400 calories with a sodium count of 880 milligrams.

Compare that to a cheeseburger from McDonald's. It's 290 calories with a sodium count of 680 milligrams.

The snack wrap, which is considered a healthy option, is actually not that healthy. It's 330 calories with 670 milligrams of sodium.

A typical California roll is low in fat at seven grams but each piece has 80 millgrams of sodium. When it comes to french fries, we won't even go there.

Of course, a lot of this boils down to your own common sense. Now you know that when you're eating at McDonald's or Wendy's, sticking with burgers or sandwiches is a wiser option.

shutterstock_136734560.jpg