I love this dude... No real connection to the content of the thread that I see but, still, thanks for the drop, a very enjoyable view.
I'm not going to go into the equally corrupt myopic insanity that is politics in regards to a heath care system already successfully in place in other countries with a variety of governments and economies, this is simply silly imo...on to the orginal topic
Since when especially in the information age has WILLFUL ignorance/looking the other way, been a VALID defense? TOP THAT OFF with the fact that most people cannot escape the CONSTANT bombardment of the "news" ....PURE IGNORANCE to anyone with an IQ over 70 is extinct
Ezekiel's views are far outside the normal parameters of civilized human behavior and thus are of no consequence.
As for the issue of base human impulses, they do lower us and make us in some ways no better than the other animals with whom we share this planet, ergo it would be best if we were to substantially reduce their ability to impinge upon our consciousness.
And to the issue of protecting animals, I would say that we should be able to extend our ability to care to them given that if one views the history of humanity as a continuum, we see that to do so is evidence of our moral progress.
c/sAll earthlings should be honored equally. I understand there is a need to eat some meat to survive but I'm against hunting for sport, zoos, entertainment slaves (pets), etc... Most humans are not as civilized or morally advanced as they think.
We might live in an information age in the sense that information is readily available but, in the sense that it is heavily consumed and highly valued, we most certainly do not live in an information age.
What is the Internet-- the greatest tool available distinguishing this age from others-- in practice for most people? A means of acquiring porn, gossip and sharing jokes and funny videos.
I don't bring up ignorance as a defense but as an explanation. Its not something to be excused; it simply is... As far as politics, that has been included as a) an excuse to bump the thread and b) examples of the current practical application of the theories being discussed here.


c/s
I mean if you just stirring things up cool. But the whole point isn't that we are all-knowing beings due to the information age, but now the explanation/defense of not knowing is laughable.
If you are having sex and don't know 4 out of 5 sexually active people in America have Herpes, and catch it... you saying someone can claim "I didn't know" as a explanation/defense??
They teach 7 year olds how to google in school nowadays... sorry can't buy the "we didn't know" excuse no more![]()
Entertainment slaves???All earthlings should be honored equally. I understand there is a need to eat some meat to survive but I'm against hunting for sport, zoos, entertainment slaves (pets), etc... Most humans are not as civilized or morally advanced as they think.
I've tended to think that people are born tabula rasa, a blank slate, and their environment shapes their development for the most part.my personal theory is that everyone is born with the same intelligience but since the personality is a system of ideas, not everyone agrees with the idea on how to express that "intelligience."
my personal theory is that everyone is born with the same intelligience but since the personality is a system of ideas, not everyone agrees with the idea on how to express that "intelligience."
I've tended to think that people are born tabula rasa, a blank slate, and their environment shapes their development for the most part.
I think people are born with varying levels of abilities but that it usually makes only a slight difference in their overall potential and future path.
A post last night had me thinking about this subject, so its interesting that you bump this thread today with this comment...
The entire concept of animal instinct is amazing to me. What makes animals want to have sex and know how to do it? How can an elephant know how to revive its stillborn child?? Why does it even care???
Obviously, there is something built in...
I appreciate that you appreciated it.dang, I enjoyed this thread to much.....nice drop on the video
![]()
Another fail at logic by Costanza.
Why don't you chastise the cats who teach their kittens to cruelly toy with their food (mice) before killing them?
Morality is a choice, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
man this is a good thread. I agree that we need to treat people who are developmentally slow and animals with the same respect we give others.
It's crazy to me that people do the most effed up things to an animal or a person who is developmentally disabled and LAUGH about it like it's funny. That shit isn't funny, good or great! Some people lack compassion and it's showing in alot of those posts you quoted.
Yeah, it's predatory. We throw around this word "inhumane" all the time but what meaning does it really have? Cruelty is a trait uniquely perfected by humans. Is it inhumane to be predatory, savage... Darwinists will tell you that it is what evolution is all about. I think a predatory nature is a sign of an inferior nature.



You sound like the so-called American patriot who brags...

We see a cat running in circles chasing its tail and see it as a stupid cat, subject to the dictates of natural hardwiring and so unlike us. But next time you're huddled next to your laptop pulling one of these movesyou might stop and ask yourself how advanced you really are.

Deuterion posted this video earlier, which adds to the point:
Another fail at logic by Costanza.
Why don't you chastise the cats who teach their kittens to cruelly toy with their food (mice) before killing them?
Morality is a choice, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
You sound like the so-called American patriot who brags of superiority in all areas but justifies American actions based upon those of it's most despised and dehumanized enemies-- "Do you know what the Taliban would do in that situation???"
Humans are supposed to be intellectually and morally superior to other animals according to conventional wisdom... yet, continually, people justify human savagery based on the habits of less intelligent and less capable creatures.
Of course, morality is a choice... Your point? There is, unfortunately, ample evidence that it definitely is not a requirement for the creatures on this planet.

No. I sound like someone who is simply telling the cold hard truth.
Morality is a choice, most of the time it is dictated by a group. Groups (cultures) around the globe have different sets of "morality". There is no such thing as a universal morality unless you are a theist. Morality is a CHOICE. For example, I chose not to kill a muthafucka TODAY.
No. I sound like someone who is simply telling the cold hard truth.
Morality is a choice, most of the time it is dictated by a group. Groups (cultures) around the globe have different sets of "morality". There is no such thing as a universal morality unless you are a theist. Morality is a CHOICE. For example, I chose not to kill a muthafucka TODAY.
First off - great fucking thread Costanza.
I've been frequenting some of your threads lately and it's refreshing these kinds of thought provoking intelligent threads where folks offer different perspectives.
Secondly - thanks to the poster that bumped it.
Some of my comments (**SEVERE COLLIN POWELL WARNING!!!**)
The depth of this statement can but only be understated.
ANTHROPOMORPHISM. The first term that comes to mind when I listen to statements/arguments of this nature. For the sake of clarity, a definition:
The attribution of human characteristics, motivation or behavior to non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts.
I tend to agree with Dr. Tyson's position in the above clip. The comprehension of the complete nature of the universe is most likely beyond the realms of our perceptions and intelligence and our ego is a crucial impediment in a feed-back loop which forms an integral part of the evolution of our intelligence.
Now, I remember watching this clip someone posted on here a while ago, and please bear with me here, this is not a digression and is actually very much related to the topic of the thread:
Now, I can understand Dr. Tyson's frustration with the Creationism and Intelligent Design argument (which are actually two different concepts). This is a nuance ridden and cumbersome, albeit classic debate, the crux of which I believe resides in semantics - the definition of the "Creator"/"Designer". But that's a separate issue.
However, I find it ironic that rebuttals of this nature, that scrutinize the quality/utility of the "designed" vis-a-vis the intelligence of the "designer" are fundamentally anthropomorphic - and inevitably so because of the significance of our limited perception of the our environment (universe) and the evolution of our phenotype therein.
Dr. Tyson, evaluates the utility/functionality of a parts of the human anatomy (the reproductive/excretory organs) against a Dolphin benchmark,
Anthropomorphism begets anthropocentric notions of our status on this planet, on other accessible planets and ultimately the entire universe, which have lead to some of the myopic (IMO) responses you quoted in your OP.
The Anthropic Principle (physics, cosmology) submits that the universe (the observable universe) has been finely tuned to support life on Earth as we know it because of the crazy precision of the measured and mathematically/experimentally verifiable fundamental physical constants (speed of light, cosmological constant, mass of elementary particles, etc).
ID/Creationist often tout a hard-line version of this, The Strong Anthropic Principle (SAP), as THE major case for an "intelligent designer" -that this universe, the only universe, was made exclusively for us. Whereas arguments against a "designer" prefer the softer Weak Anthropic Principle that allows for multiple universe (multiverses) of which ours was finely tuned to support life.
ID and the multiverse, both controversial and scientifically untestable, IMO, reduce to the underlying rudiment of the topic of this thread:
"The Value of Life & Intelligence".
The reason I focus on anthropomorphism is that being [almost] inevitably and innately embedded in the way we humans cognitively synthesize sensory information from our environment, starting from when we first receive stimulus to mental processing and finally expression as perceptions and then interpretations.
I'd like y'all to focus on the transition in the last two words: "perceptions and then interpretations". I'll address in my comments below.
I think the argument JD Walker presents is noteworthy. He essentially argues that applying the logic of hierarchy in the animal kingdom as a metric for moral obligation (which I assume he thinks you're espousing...correct me if I'm wrong) amounts to flawed logic if you're inconsistent with the standards you apply across the spectrum of all animals. In his example a cat and a mouse.
Your response to this is essentially (again, correct me if I'm wrong here) that morality of humans shouldn't be ascribed to "less intelligent and less capable creatures"?
I completely agree. And I'd even expatiate.
JD used the term "cruelly" to define how the cats/kitten treat the mouse before killing it. Cruelty, the act of being cruel, by definition, required "willful knowledge" and oftentimes actual "enjoyment" of imparting pain, suffering and distress to the victim. For me the two key words in the midst of all these subjectives is "willful" and "knowledge".
Free will. Self-awareness. Consciousness. Are these traits exclusive to only humans? Which leads to the question of emotions in non-human animals which has been a topic of interest to both scientists and philosophers - and not lacking in controversy due to its implications. But this delves into the sticky field of behaviorism in animals which, again, is doomed by anthropomorphic interpretations. As is morality.
Hence, we can never really know for sure. IMO, and other scientists (based on some studies) emotions and some form of conscious experience outside of pure "animal-instinct" emerge in animals that have highly complex social systems and the degree is more pronounced as social complexity increases.
Cats, being social animals, are amenable to whats known as "symbiotic social adaptation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats#Behavior) when domesticated but will still retain some of their primal "instincts" especially the highly adapted ones like hunting skills, which in a domestic situation is just a case of "same prey, different habitat".
"Cat play and toys incorporates predatory games of "play aggression". These activities allow kittens and younger cats to grow and acquire cognitive and motor skills, and to socialize with other cats."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_play_and_toys
"This ability has likely been selected for because rapid learning of critical hunting skills is essential to survival."
http://zoopsy.free.fr/veille_biblio/social_organization_cat_2004.pdf Tons of references in this article.
And like I said earlier, I believe perception (purely neurophysiological) precedes interpretation (sociological adaptation) in the causal chain of information processing for both humans and animals. It's just a question of the degree to which society influences interpretations.
Now to address your issue with choice and morality.
I once read a very interesting article in Discover Magazine by a Harvard psychologist who argued that evolution hard-wired us to know right from wrong and gave us an innate universal sense of morality.
To arrive at this radical notion, Hauser draws on his own research in social cooperation, neuroscience, and primate behavior, as well as on the musings of philosophers, cognitive psychologists, and most important, the theories of MIT linguist Noam Chomsky, who in the 1950s proposed that all humans are equipped with a universal linguistic grammar, a set of instinctive rules that underlie all languages.
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/ma...ew-marc-hauser/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=
If you're really interested and not arguing for argument sake, and you're not the non-reading CP type, I suggest you read it with an open mind then you can draw your own conclusions.
Here's an excerpt for that article where the interviewer asks a question:
What is the evidence that we draw upon unconscious principles when making moral decisions?
Let’s take two examples. A trolley is coming down a track, and it’s going to run over and kill five people if it continues. A person standing next to the track can flip a switch and turn the trolley onto a side track where it will kill one but save the five. Most people think that’s morally permissible—to harm one person when five are saved. Another case is when a nurse comes up to a doctor and says, “Doctor, we’ve got five patients in critical care; each one needs an organ to survive. We do not have time to send out for organs, but a healthy person just walked into the hospital—we can take his organs and save the five. Is that OK?” No one says yes to that one. Now, in both cases your action can save five while harming one, so they’re identical in that sense. So why the flip-flop? People of different ages, people of different religious backgrounds, people even with different educations typically cannot explain why they think those cases differ. There appears to be some kind of unconscious process driving moral judgments without its being accessible to conscious reflection.
The video certainly was not a digression and addresses an important aspect of this conversation. Religion is obviously inextricably tied to the subject of how people value life and whether or not intelligence is a factor in that evaluation. It's a hugely influential factor in how people think. That's why I included posts in this thread on health care and Sarah Palin's "death panels" argument (which, in retrospect really marked a major shift in the dialogue and a turning point in the public response to the legislation)-- an argument that explicitly evokes religious principles regarding life.
In my last post (prior to today's response to JD) I was critical of Darwinists for an outlook that lowers man from the pedestal that most of humanity has always placed itself upon out of ego. Sometimes the effect of that is cold and the opposite of aspirational of enlightened. I think humanity is sufficiently different from other species that it ought not be governed by "survival of the fittest"-- because of our intelligence, no other animal has the capacity for doing good that humanity does. As much as I dwelled, like Tony Norman ("If Only We Were as Smart as Dolphins"), on humanity's horrifically unique capacity for evil, it must be acknowledged that humanity has a unique capacity for doing good.
You'd be correct in boiling my position down to "that morality of humans shouldn't be ascribed to 'less intelligent and less capable creatures.'" I basically elaborated on that above in the discussion of greater human capacity both for good and for evil.
I must also criticize the religionists, though, especially those who adhere to the Old Testament (and it's "God," Yahweh, who is the strongest example of anthropomorphism in human history). It is they who are least cognizant of our lacking comprehension of the true and complete nature of the universe. They think they know it all, in overwhelming numbers. And, unlike the Darwinists, they place man on a pedestal. Humanity has "dominion over the Earth," which has promoted a belief that we don't have to care for the Earth and other "lower" species on it.
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, your point is to highlight that Tyson's standards for proving the stupidity of design is by pointing to their lack of utility for humans? I'd say that's a valid criticism, though, to be fair, creationists have long egotistically asserted the provability of creation by arguing how well suited it is for humanity, the centerpiece of creation. I'm sure he meant to argue against that and would recognize what you pointed out.
This is pretty much what I was interested in with the elephant birth. It's pretty clear in both humans and animals that "tabula rasa" is a faulty concept. The question is the same with all animals... To what extent?
To what extent are we governed by natural and instinctual processes beyond our control?
This question is most centrally addressed in popular culture in the form of homosexuality and whether or not that is a choice. Prewired preferences and expressions which prevail over environmental influences.
Even if these inclinations are hardwired through evolution, I'd hesitate to describe it as an "innate moral code" because the inclusion of the word moral seems laughable. (I'll explain my reasoning on this in response to the portion of the article you excerpted.) It seems simply an innate coding.
I think Hauser would actually agree with my assessment based on this response:
One possibility is that these principles that I’m describing were not selected for morality. They were favored for other aspects of social cognition and are simply borrowed by morality. What does morality do at a very general level? It sets up, either unconsciously or consciously, rules for navigating the social world. Now, why might it be unconscious? It might be unconscious for exactly the same reason that language is unconscious at some level. ...
Of course, one of the things that makes morality adaptive is that it does allow for a certain level of within-group stability and, therefore, allows for individual fitness to be enhanced from a genetic perspective. So if I live in a world of defectors, I have no chance, whereas if I can find the cooperators and cooperate with them, my own individual fitness will be greatly enhanced. So I want to know who are the individuals I can trust and those I can’t trust. At that level, there’s been, of course, greater selection for any kind of social group to have certain kinds of principles that allow for group-level stability.
He still applies that word morality but admits that the results are by no means moral and even that the intent or motivating force has nothing to do with right or wrong. Social cooperation makes sense from an evolutionary perspective but seems to have more to do with self-interest in a group dynamic than any "innate universal sense of morality."
Hauser cites the so-called Golden Rule as one which a moral principle "that holdtrue across all societies":
You see it everywhere. So there’s some notion of reciprocity, and that includes both the good and bad. If I have been harmed, there is some notion of revenge which certainly seems to be part of the human psychology. Some level of, “If somebody does something nice for me, I should do something nice back to them” also seems part of the psychology. It may be evolutionarily ancient. Work that we’ve done on animals suggests some kind of reciprocity, some ancient level of cooperation. So is there a generic rule that says “don’t kill others”? No, there’s not, because that rule is always adjoined to a caveat, which says, “Well, we kill some people, but not everybody.” It’s always an in-group, out-group distinction.
"I won't stab you in hopes that you won't stab me. And we need to consider stabbing those motherfuckers over there." That seems closer to self-interest than morality to me.
It's not a good comparison. People may not be able to articulate their reasoning but there is a clear difference in the two scenarios.
"A trolley is coming down a track, and it’s going to run over and kill five people if it continues. A person standing next to the track can flip a switch and turn the trolley onto a side track where it will kill one but save the five." It's GOING TO kill five people or it WILL kill one.
"Doctor, we’ve got five patients in critical care; each one needs an organ to survive. We do not have time to send out for organs, but a healthy person just walked into the hospital—we can take his organs and save the five." We CAN TAKE his organs.
The first scenario features unavoidable death and the only value judgment is how many people have to die. The second scenario requires an active decision to take a life.
Passively allowing for suffering doesn't produce the same guilt as taking an active role in directly causing suffering... I've often wished that it did. Because the cold hard effect of these two scenarios is the same-- five people die. Every person who chooses to take viable organs to the grave with them rather than donating their organs really makes this decision but they don't view it in those terms. I attribute that to a passive role and the presence of guilt. You could apply the same principle to every person who feasts as others suffer through famine. Every person who feels compelled to sport the newest Nikes and adorn themselves with jewelry without consideration for the Asian child toiling at slave "wages" or the little African boy who might have had his arm chopped off by the monsters financially supported by a distant and guiltless-- to themselves-- people.
I think human "intelligence" is undoubtedly emergent from the size and complexity of our brains -- large cerebral cortex, over 100 billion neural connections, etc.
The limits of animal neurophysiology is the key IMO.
Synaptic Plasticity/Neuroplasticity (postulated to be responsible for memory and learning), our highly developed hippocampus (relative to other animals and species) which is essential for learning and consolidating information from short-term to long-term memory is particularly important in the development of our sense of "self-awareness" which enabled the evolution of social behaviors, cultures, morality/ethics, etc.
Are we "sufficiently different" in that sense? Yes.
Are other animals incapable of "doing the good that humanity does". Of course. Because other animals are incapable of doing the "bad" that necessitated the good in the first place.
There are many studied cases of social animals that demonstrate emotion driven practices akin to humans but the question is always one of self-awareness. We an sufficiently convinced that we can never answer this.
I agree 100%.
Yes that was my point. And yes, this creationist reasoning is anthropic but that's my point. Dr. Tyson's argument of a lousy design is equally anthropic because it draws from a sense of human aesthetics.
The classic Nature vs. Nurture. I still contend that we can never know for animals since we can never "think" like them. I'm satified with that. The best we can do is to continue our quest to establish neural correlates of consciousness/self-awareness.
The biological basis for physio-sexuality is obvious. And it's manifestly clear that there's a biological, genetic and biochemical basis for psycho-sexuality. Scientifically, our sex is not only a function of the anatomy of our genitalia but also a function of how our psychological identity aligns with this anatomy.
Ref: Gender Identity and Sexual Dimorphic Nucleus
Perhaps it's a question of semantics here. Replace the word moraily with self-intrest?
Makes sense.
I agree. The choices we make regarding moral decisions are at time driven by temporal guilt modulated by our connectivity to the subject. I think this is the point he was trying to make here. In one case there's direct involvment and in the other case it's indirect, however, the ultimate choices are still the same regardless of the difficulty in making them.
This reminds me of Nietzsche's cow... I can't find his actual writing on the subject but here's a decent summary:
In the second of his untimely meditations, Nietzsche suggests that a cow lives without boredom and pain, because it does not remember. Because it has no past, the cow is happy. But the animal cannot confirm its happiness precisely because it does not have the power to recall its previous state. It lives unmindful of the past, which, as it gives happiness, also takes it away from the animal. Nietzsche uses this example to point to the liberating power of what he terms "active forgetting," a willfull abandonment of the past that is beyond the capacities of the cow: In the case of the smallest or of the greatest happiness... it is always the same thing that makes happiness happiness: the ability to forget or, expressed in more scholarly fashion, the capacity to feel unhistorically during its duration. Nietzsche calls for an abandonment of the past because, as he says, it "returns as a ghost and disturbs the peace of a later moment." Too much past precludes action, happiness, and further development.
I don't know whether to pity or envy such a creature...
Me too. Shit, I guess it's the double edged sword paradox once again. The only thing I'd disagree with that you wrote is that other animals are incapable of doing the good that humanity does "because other animals are incapable of doing the 'bad' that necessitated the good in the first place." It's a bit of an oversimplification. Though humanity does plenty of evil which requires human effort to correct or negate, plenty of human good is not a direct result of human evil or even human action-- i.e. those with an honest desire to help in the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti.
This gets back to the nature versus nature topic... I almost reflexively called those brain differences a disability, though I think they are obviously simply differences.
Are you aware of an study which attempts to determine the percentage of homosexuals affected by this difference and the percentage for which this condition is not present (which would be commonly referred to as gay by "choice" but better explained as as without biological predispositions)?
Right away, I can see that such a study would be extremely difficult and flawed because you'd have to rely on people to be honest, both with themselves and others, in self-identifying as homosexuals. Still, you could at least measure the percentage of people with brain differences which should result in a different psycho-sexuality against the number of people in society who identify as homosexuals.
I don't know how difficult that is to measure, though, or if it is even possible...
I'm not a Neuroscientist but it seems possible. I should ask Ramachandran and see what he thinks.