Iran threatens to close Strait of Hormuz if West imposes sanctions on oil shipments
Iran threatens to close Strait of Hormuz if West imposes sanctions on oil shipments
TEHRAN — A top official said Iran will close the Strait of Hormuz — cutting off oil exports — if the West imposes sanctions on Iran’s oil shipments, the country’s official news agency reported Tuesday.
According to the IRNA report, Vice President Mohamed Reza Rahimi said Iran does not want hostilities, but he charged that the West continues its plots against Iran.
“If they impose sanctions on Iran’s oil exports, then even one drop of oil cannot flow from the Strait of Hormuz,” Rahimi said, according to IRNA.
The West is considering limiting Iran’s oil trade over its disputed nuclear program. Some 80% of Iran’s foreign revenue comes from oil exports.
In Washington, State Department spokesman Mark Toner called the threat “bluster.”
He said it was “another attempt by them to distract attention from the real issue, which is their continued noncompliance with international nuclear obligations.”
Rahimi has no major role in Iran’s foreign or military policy.
Iran is conducting a 10-day naval maneuver in the area of the Strait of Hormuz, where about 40% of the world’s oil supply passes. Closing the strait would have immense world economic impact.
The Associated Press
Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ira...-oil-shipments-article-1.997675#ixzz1hqKL2lsg
khovalyg
11:01 PM
Dec 27, 2011
Ah, more hype for our forthcoming war on Iran so that corporatist 1 percenters can death-profiteer and get more lucre, oil, territory. Note also that NY judge george daniels (Manhattan) recently signed a default judgement finding IRAN (as well as the taliban and al qaida) liable for 9/11. Well, well. All those years, all those bombs, all that blood, all those dead troops and dead Iraqis, and we still attacked the wrong country. Gotta do it again, for god, country, and capitalism. Cráp.
Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ira...-oil-shipments-article-1.997675#ixzz1hqKFivlc
US judge rules Iran responsible for 9/11
By Daniel Harding, New York
Saturday, December 24, 2011
A US judge has signed a default judgment finding Iran, the Taliban and al-Qaida liable for the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Judge George Daniels in Manhattan signed the judgement a week after hearing evidence in the 10-year-old case.
The signed ruling came in a $100 billion lawsuit brought by victims’ families.
He directed a magistrate judge to preside over remaining issues, including fixing compensatory and punitive damages.
Judge Daniels signed findings of fact saying the plaintiffs had established that the attacks were caused by the support the defendants provided to al-Qaida.
It also said Iran continued to provide material support and resources to al-Qaida by providing a safe haven for al-Qaida leadership and rank-and-file members.
During last week’s hearing, September 11 victims’ families sat through a four-hour presentation from lawyers who cited evidence supporting their claims that Iran actively assisted the hijackers of planes that crashed into the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania.
Former members of the September 11 Commission and three Iranian defectors also spoke.
It would be near impossible to collect any damages, especially from the Taliban or al-Qaida.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has repeatedly denied any Iranian connection in the September 11 attacks or with al-Qaida.
Read more:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...responsible-for-911-178161.html#ixzz1hqK1AbM9