Surprise: PlayStation 2 drops to $99.99

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This morning, Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that starting April 1, the PlayStation 2 will be sold for $99.99. To anyone who had been paying attention to the rumors over the past few days, this should come as no surprise.

While a $30 price drop may not seem significant, analysts predict it will greatly improve the console's health. At the console's previous price point, $129.99, the EEDAR research group had expected software sales to decline to 16% marketshare from April through July. With this new price cut, it now expects PS2 software to maintain an 18% marketshare for the second quarter.

While this might not be the PlayStation 3 price cut many had expected (or even wanted), EEDAR also notes that a price cut for Sony's current gen console is still expected in 2009.

Anyone lining up to buy a PS2 tomorrow?

http://www.destructoid.com/surprise-playstation-2-drops-to-99-99-126944.phtml

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sony slashes PS2 price to $99

Sony Computer Entertainment America has announced a long awaited price cut to the PlayStation 2, making the system available for USD 99.99, compared to the previous price of USD 129.99.

The PS2 has sold more than 136 million units worldwide since launching in 2000, and was the fastest-selling console until recently usurped by the Nintendo Wii.

"PlayStation 2 set the industry standard for worldwide mass market adoption and is a clear embodiment of Sony's commitment to platforms that deliver 10-year product lifecycles," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "It's a tribute to outstanding technology, great consumer value and unprecedented development support that we've now been able to do twice what no one else has ever accomplished.

"Demand for PlayStation 2 remains strong throughout the world, and the new USD 99 price point will bring in new consumers who will discover how PlayStation platforms are an outstanding choice for their gaming and home entertainment needs."

He continued: "Just as PlayStation 2 is delivering on a 10-year lifecycle and helped expand and solidify the DVD format for home entertainment along the way, we believe PlayStation 3 offers the same promise by helping secure the Blu-ray format and delivering unprecedented value as the total home entertainment solution for the next decade."

The price of the PlayStation 2 in Europe is also reduced to EUR 99, but there are no plans to reduce the UK price where it sells for GBP 99.
Sony Corp's share price is currently being traded at JPY 1998 (USD 20.27) on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, down 3 per cent from the previous closing price.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-slashes-ps2-price-to-USD99-99

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:lol: People were hoping for a PS3 price drop. Shit should be $50 now. They ripping people off.
LOL! Guilty as charged. I was excited for about half a second until i saw "2" instead of "3".

Who gives a fuck about a PS2? Who still buying them shits anyway??

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

All those rumors of a PS3 price drop, like as soon as tomorrow? There's absolutely nothing to them according to Sony, who has contacted us with an official comment on the matter.

"As we have stated previously, we do not have plans for a PS3 price drop, and any rumors to that effect are false and are the result of speculation," the statement from SCEA public relations manager Al De Leon reads. "SCEA remains focused on the long-term momentum of PS3. With the industry's best software lineup this year, combined with our most aggressive marketing campaign to date, we remain confident in our approach and the value we're delivering with PS3."

Sony's reaction to increasing expectations of an imminent PS3 price drop is interesting; it's not the usual "we don't comment on rumors and speculation." By blatantly stating there won't be one, the company may be trying to manage expectations (note that it hasn't denied a possible PS2 price cut). Also, if it were to announce a price drop one day after issuing this clear denial, it would draw considerable investor ire. Then again, if a reduced price for the console isn't announced relatively soon, it risks upsetting not only shareholders, but retailers and publishers as well.

SLY

International
International Member
:yes: If they did Sony would be dead.

nah not really.

the ps3 is selling like hot cakes in europe. 9 milli sold, whereas the 360 has sold 7m mil and of course launched 2 years before the ps3. :yes:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
nah not really.

the ps3 is selling like hot cakes in europe. 9 milli sold, whereas the 360 has sold 7m mil and of course launched 2 years before the ps3. :yes:
The US is a more important electronic retail market than Europe. That shit aint selling like hotcakes here.

BoRiCuApOwEr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thats awesome but if anyone interested I got my FaT BulKy PS2
with chip in it and bout 100 games I sold my skinny one for
$150 with no games but im willing to part with this one for same price as PS2 on April 1 with games :yes:

The only reason my PS2 even is still hooked up...
[/QUOTE]

SLY

International
International Member
The US is a more important electronic retail market than Europe. That shit aint selling like hotcakes here.

Anything to back up this claim sir???:hmm:

Reason being that most americans are just plain ignorant and more so than not take things(products) at face value. The PS3 is worth the price, if you factor in built-in wifi, rechargeable controllers etc. Features that don't come as standard with the 360.

Manny Styles

Hi-Teknological
BGOL Investor
Who gives a fuck about a PS2? Who still buying them shits anyway??

Largest library of games. :dunno:

MS should respond by dropping the 360 to $99.99.

Wouldn't do much to the PS2 as far as parents and average gamers are concerned when games still cost $20 - $40 more.

The US is a more important electronic retail market than Europe.

WTF?!

Reason being that most americans are just plain ignorant and more so than not take things(products) at face value. The PS3 is worth the price, if you factor in built-in wifi, rechargeable controllers etc. Features that don't come as standard with the 360.

Gotta agree.

I just recently jumped to a PS3 because I was able to find a good 60GB system with the backwards compatibility (but still have a PS2). And I've used it more for the media capabilities than games so far.

sj808

Support BGOL
Registered
I feel like Sony is fucking with people by doing this. No one gives a fuck about the PS2 anymore. They prolly said "oh they want a price drop huh? We'll give them one"

justfacts

Star
Registered
ps2 is the perfect system for kids. I bought my 6 year son one last christmas. With the huge library of games for cheap, its like a brand new system to him. He's still working on the first Ratchet and Clank. There's still 3 more before he gets to the PS3 version. I figure, I'll let him ride the PS2 out until middle school.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ken Kutaragi

PS3 is "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else." :)

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

The USA spends more money on gaming and consumer electronics you dumb fuck. This is fact. One country versus your entire continent. The US has the largest gaming market on planet Earth. Global companies make a point to capture this market, doing so usually means success.

Now, you emotionally unstable twat, do you care to add anything to back your claim of most Americans being ignorant? Or do you still wanna dispute a substantiated fact?? Oh the irony.

Oh, and apparently, the Europeans are the "ignorant ones" who take things at "face value" consider they're the ones buying up those PS3's.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In total sales :yes: not month to month.

-Wii: 753K
Up_Arrow.jpg
74K (+11%)
-DS: 588K
Up_Arrow.jpg
77K (+15%)
-Xbox 360: 391K
Up_Arrow.jpg
82K (+27%)
-PS3: 276K
Up_Arrow.jpg
73K (+36%)
-PSP: 199K
Up_Arrow.jpg
27K (+16%)
-PS2: 131K
Up_Arrow.jpg
30K (+30%)

Umm PS2 is outselling the 360 and PS3......

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
nah not really.

Really, where's the link I'm curious.

Rocky Miavia

LORD OF THE BOARD
BGOL Investor
Largest library of games. :dunno:
I've always shitted on that argument and I still will. 75% of the games suck ass so that's a fail point.
PS2s are still selling too.

I dont know who the fuck are buying them though.
Broke motherfuckas. Just like I remember when I was a kid and got a Nintendo 8-bit console a few of my welfare living friends were just getting Atari.

SLY

International
International Member
The USA spends more money on gaming and consumer electronics you dumb fuck. This is fact. One country versus your entire continent. The US has the largest gaming market on planet Earth. Global companies make a point to capture this market, doing so usually means success.

Now, you emotionally unstable twat, do you care to add anything to back your claim of most Americans being ignorant? Or do you still wanna dispute a substantiated fact?? Oh the irony.

Oh, and apparently, the Europeans are the "ignorant ones" who take things at "face value" consider they're the ones buying up those PS3's.

try again you fag

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6191774.html

---------

damn two terms

george-bush-sour.jpg

280206bushbinladen.jpg

:smh::smh::smh:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You really are a stupid fuck.

1)These are 2008 numbers which dont account for every other calendar year which the US has surpassed Europe in sales.
2)Even these numbers are cooked as the info is skewed for two main reasons; A) It encompasses a fucking continent which has a sample set and statistic count of ohhh a couple hundred more million people, B) It doesnt account for the fact that you morons are forced to pay nearly twice what we do for the same shitty products.

So you have another 200million or so idiots (nearly twice the population of the US) in your demographic AND you're paying nearly twice what we pay for prodcut yet you only have one year in which you surpassed the USA in dollars spent (NOT ACTUAL SALES YOU FUCKING MORON!).

Again, the US is the most important gaming market (an argument can be made for Asia but it falls flat as they have 4billion slant eyes so the per person spending pales in comparison) dont give me that Euro bullshit. This is a business fact shitstain.

Manny Styles

Hi-Teknological
BGOL Investor
It would hurt the PS3 dude. Think outside the box for a second and get that sony dick out your mouth.

Man, why are you cats so emotional about this?

I'm not a fanboy of any system, but as a parent, I wasn't going to buy a damned PS3 for my kids when they had a PS2 and can get games they like for $20 and less.

Straight facts.

Ease up.

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
Man, why are you cats so emotional about this?

I'm not a fanboy of any system, but as a parent, I wasn't going to buy a damned PS3 for my kids when they had a PS2 and can get games they like for $20 and less.

Straight facts.

Ease up.

We not at all. How can you tell how i feel by that? You = Lame.