The Official Book Thread: What You Reading?

MissStarKitty

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
It doesn't seem like people are reading much now and days..but for those of you who are what are you reading right now and what are some book recommendations..

I am a multi book reader so right now I am reading:
"Magical Thinking" & "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs
and
"Your First Novel" by Rittenberg & Whitcomb (yes I am in the process of writing 2 books of memoirs)

I love biographies and autobiographies they are just a little more personal to me...

recommendations...
"Andy Warhol Diaries"
and
"Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life"

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
It doesn't seem like people are reading much now and days..but for those of you who are what are you reading right now and what are some book recommendations..

I am a multi book reader so right now I am reading:"Magical Thinking" & "Dry" by

yes I am in the process of writing 2 books of memoirs)[/I]

Miss Star Kitty I'm a book hopper too! I always have a stack of books, magazines, and trade journals next to my bed. Even with being able to do most alone its something about having the paper in hand that feels better. I would love to write a book, but doubt I have the stamina. I once wrote a story in 10 parts- took me like 3years! Never again.

Here are mine:
BookCOver3.jpg

To inspire me to go back and train. Excellent read too.

bookcover2.jpg

Helps keep the poetry thread alive. Some nice work by authors I don't know very well.

BookCover.jpg

Very interesting book. This is an extension of his previous work "Living Buddha/Living Christ" discussing parallels between Christianity and Buddhism. It's funny because Buddhism doesn't propose that their is a higher power one should worship ( you're not supposed to worship Buddha either- common misconception).I enjoy seeing how he synthesizes the teachings. I think it appeals to me most as a teacher rather than a Buddhist per se.

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
"The Warren Buffet Way"
Robert Hagstrom Jr.

Re-reading "The Lord of the Rings"
J. R. R. Tolkein
th_70060_51ZYNQ93JZL._BO2620452039200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow3TopRight0453-64_OU01_AA240_SH20__123_170lo.jpg

"Justine, Philosophy in the Bedroom, and Other Writings"
Marquis Du Sade

Edit: Forgot to add

Fifty African American Monologues
Gus Edwards

In the queue:

"Faust"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"World's Great Men of Color"
J. A. Rogers

Last edited:

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Right now I'm reading Dr. Oz and Dr. Rozien's books. You on a Diet and You: The Owners Manual. I need to get their latest one about aging gracefully.

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Right now I'm reading Dr. Oz and Dr. Rozien's books. You on a Diet and You: The Owners Manual. I need to get their latest one about aging gracefully.

Femme let me highly recommend Marion Nestle's "What to Eat." It's an excellent book that really puts things like is it necessary to eat organic and if people need dairy like the food pyramid recommends in perspective. I have access to a lot textbooks on the subject, but I refer to Marion's book a lot. She breaks it down simple,clean, and as objective as possible.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Femme let me highly recommend Marion Nestle's "What to Eat." It's an excellent book that really puts things like is it necessary to eat organic and if people need dairy like the food pyramid recommends in perspective. I have access to a lot textbooks on the subject, but I refer to Marion's book a lot. She breaks it down simple,clean, and as objective as possible.

Thank you. I'll put that on my amazon wish list.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
I'm bouncing between this book @ the gym :

511J688H65L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

and I'm babying this book, but I plan on finishing it A.S.A.P

bdd6619009a0e61bd7f25110._AA240_.L.jpg

I been slacking on my reading trying to study for the GRE's but I'm working on my time management skills.

HoneyDip

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Right now i'm going through a Stephen King phase. I used to like to read the urban books but then the story line started to get boring... especially when you see alot of it in real life. I love Stephen King because you can never really predict whats gonna happen next

MissStarKitty

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I'm bouncing between this book @ the gym :

511J688H65L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

and I'm babying this book, but I plan on finishing it A.S.A.P

I been slacking on my reading trying to study for the GRE's but I'm working on my time management skills.

OMG! I've read the "48 LAWS OF POWER" so many times....and the "Art of Seduction" I plan on re-reading them again, there is something I always miss. I need to get focused and read SUN Tzu's "The Art of War"

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
OMG! I've read the "48 LAWS OF POWER" so many times....and the "Art of Seduction" I plan on re-reading them again, there is something I always miss. I need to get focused and read SUN Tzu's "The Art of War"

I want to get the Art of Seduction book when i'm done with the laws. My friend had that one and LOVED it. And my other friend was the person who recommended the 48 laws, she told me I had to get my own because it's a bible, lol!

I heard the Art of War was a hard read.. but it is on my to read list!

SinaminDelite

Backshot Queen
BGOL Investor

Just started this today.

It's a pretty good book. I read it a while ago, and during my break I may read it again.

Right now I just finished reading "Nervous Conditions" by Tsitsi Dangarembga. During the Christmas break I plan on reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire.

FYI: If anyone in the NYC area wants to get some books, journals, etc, the Barnes & Noble's on Astor Place is closing, so everything is on sale. 40% as of yesterday, and they're gonna keep upping the discount till they close on Dec 3rd.

MissStarKitty

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
It's a pretty good book. I read it a while ago, and during my break I may read it again.

Right now I just finished reading "Nervous Conditions" by Tsitsi Dangarembga. During the Christmas break I plan on reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire.

FYI: If anyone in the NYC area wants to get some books, journals, etc, the Barnes & Noble's on Astor Place is closing, so everything is on sale. 40% as of yesterday, and they're gonna keep upping the discount till they close on Dec 3rd.
OoOh Good looking out. I got a barnes and nobles gift card for an early birthday present that I need to get rid of fast...

nogatco

Potential Star
Registered
Right now i'm going through a Stephen King phase. I used to like to read the urban books but then the story line started to get boring... especially when you see alot of it in real life. I love Stephen King because you can never really predict whats gonna happen next

I'm a big Stephen King fan. It and The Stand are my favorite books from him. But I just finished reading this:

6kivw2u.jpg

And I'm now reading this:

7w9lurr.jpg

HoneyDip

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a big Stephen King fan. It and The Stand are my favorite books from him. But I just finished reading this:

6kivw2u.jpg

And I'm now reading this:

7w9lurr.jpg

i like his alter ego richard wright... the writing style is a lil different but its cool. right now i'm reading

needfulthingsxd4.jpg

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
i like his alter ego richard wright... the writing style is a lil different but its cool. right now i'm reading

needfulthingsxd4.jpg

I read this book almost a decade ago...scared the shit out of me :smh: The movie was pretty scary too, Max von Sydow made it too real. In a way, the story is actually a sound criticism of the human condition.

SuperGenius

Star
Registered
Just finish reading it today. Very insightful. Will use it as a reference book too.....Hopefully this can be my next career. I'm in route.

8fu0e9k.jpg

Already read Rich Dad/Poor Dad. After I finish this, it's on to the next one.

6ol09pu.jpg

Reading this now also...should have read this years ago....

7wpdwtw.jpg

HoneyDip

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I read this book almost a decade ago...scared the shit out of me :smh: The movie was pretty scary too, Max von Sydow made it too real. In a way, the story is actually a sound criticism of the human condition.

I've never seen the movie but the book is crazy. I honestly think it sheds light on what some people will do to get or keep what they want in life.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor

needfulthingsxd4.jpg

My favorite Richard Wright book is The Long Dream... It isn't in print now, but I found it one day in my grandmothers room and have read it probably like 40 times... Richard Wright is one of my favorite authors, he makes you feel so many emotions while reading...

Ace Boogie

Support BGOL
Registered

thankyou for the tip

MzKittyDelicious

Star
BGOL Investor
I am such a picky reader.

Currently I am reading "Becoming a Better You" by Joel Osteen

I only read non-fiction and I prefer to strictly read black authors but I havent come across any black non fiction that interests me lately so I took one of Oprahs suggestions.

My next book will be Jermaine Dupree's book.

lolll the bootleggers in Harlem had a day after thanksgiving sale on da corner with their book table so I bought 2 books smh I know that was wrong on so many levels but Joel and Jermaine are already millionaires... *shrugs*

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Have been flying regularly so this is my plane book:

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
418r5EtcTlL._AA240_.jpg

And:

Yurugu: An African-Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior

71JGJJT8PXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.gif

"Europe's political domination of Africa and much of the "non-European" world has been accompanied by a relentless cultural and psychological rape and by devastating economic exploitation. But what has compelled me to write this book is the conviction that beneath this deadly onslaught lies a stultifying intellectual mystification that prevents Europe's political victims from thinking in a manner that would lead to authentic self-determination.

"Intellectual decolonization is a prerequisite for the creation of successful political challenges to the present situation. Europe's imperialistic success can be accredited not so much to superior military might, as to the weapon of culture: The former ensures more immediate control but requires continual physical force for the maintenance of power, while the later succeeds in long-lasting dominance that enlists the cooperation of its victims (i.e., pacification of the will).

"The secret Europeans discovered early in their history is that culture carries rules for thinking, and that if you could impose your culture on your victims you could limit the creativity of their vision, destroying their ability to act with will and intent and in their own interest. The truth is that we are all "intellectuals," all potential visionaries.

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=192084

;)

cauthencn

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
sleepingwithstrangers.jpg

walkingwithenemies.jpg

Just finished reading these two. Had me all excited at work. Sounding like a phone sex operator

shanebp1978

Super Moderator
n56642.jpg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...FnEncM4M7gI2JyucA&sig2=tvDKfSsUEgf2p3ThVXW1Tw

Set against the backdrop of the Hyksos invasion of Egypt, circa 1780 B.C., Smith's adventurous tale of ancient love, intrigue and avarice was a three-week PW bestseller.

FC0786865954.JPG

How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients

Interesting thing, I got the book at an estate sale, inside the cover, is a woman's name, the date, 1/10/03, and the text, " Today I begin to make it rain!!!"

I wonder if she ever succeeded!?

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

needfulthingsxd4.jpg

I hate to be a pain in the ass, but I'm a stickler for facts. Steven King's Alter Ego is Richard Bachman, who authored The Long Walk and Thinner. Believe me, I know almost everything there is to know about the hometown boy who made "weird" up in Durham, Maine.

Oh, and almost all his books that were turned into movies have sucked! With the exceptions of Misery, the Shining, Christine, and Thinner. I bet half or most of y'all ninjas didn't know that Lawnmower Man and the Running Man were his books originally as well.

Last edited:

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One more thing, why is everybody and their momma on this 48 Laws of Power kick???:confused::smh::hmm:

I swear that shit is unsettling. If I did half that shit I would barely be able to sleep at night. I know gettin' ahead in life and being successful are important, but surely not at the expense of others and their well being.

A better book that I recommend that's along the same premise but without the stabbing in the back and cruel intentions is The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Balthasar Gracian

087773921801lzzzzzzz.jpg

thalastdynasty

Potential Star
Registered
Have been flying regularly so this is my plane book:

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
418r5EtcTlL._AA240_.jpg

And:

Yurugu: An African-Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior

71JGJJT8PXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.gif

"Europe's political domination of Africa and much of the "non-European" world has been accompanied by a relentless cultural and psychological rape and by devastating economic exploitation. But what has compelled me to write this book is the conviction that beneath this deadly onslaught lies a stultifying intellectual mystification that prevents Europe's political victims from thinking in a manner that would lead to authentic self-determination.

"Intellectual decolonization is a prerequisite for the creation of successful political challenges to the present situation. Europe's imperialistic success can be accredited not so much to superior military might, as to the weapon of culture: The former ensures more immediate control but requires continual physical force for the maintenance of power, while the later succeeds in long-lasting dominance that enlists the cooperation of its victims (i.e., pacification of the will).

"The secret Europeans discovered early in their history is that culture carries rules for thinking, and that if you could impose your culture on your victims you could limit the creativity of their vision, destroying their ability to act with will and intent and in their own interest. The truth is that we are all "intellectuals," all potential visionaries.

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=192084

;)

started reading it at 16...was a lil over my head gotta go back and finish it...moms is real militant.