OLED TV's are great but the smart money buys a different panel

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
AA1QAXyc.img
Hisense and Sharp QLED TVs on display in a store

OLED TVs have firmly established themselves as the market leader when it comes to picture quality. This is also the reason why, when you read most recommendations for the best TVs on the market, you'll find an OLED model at the top. Despite all the advancements in LCD TVs, they still fall short of OLED TVs in aspects like true black levels, contrast ratio, and viewing angles. However, OLED TVs are expensive, with the best 65-inch models, such as the LG G5 and Sony Bravia 8 II, costing between $2,500 and $3,000. Even the most affordable OLED TVs, like the Panasonic Z85A and LG B5, have a list price of over $1,800 for the 65-inch sizes, making them significantly more expensive than most LCD TVs. If you are a smart buyer who's looking for the best value for money TV, an LCD TV can be a good alternative to an OLED TV.

LCD TVs may not give you the absolute best picture, but they can still deliver excellent performance that will impress most people. Keep in mind, when we say LCD TV, it is any TV in the market right now that's not an OLED TV, regardless of whichever marketing term is used to describe it. This includes LED TVs, QLED TVs, QNED TVs, ULED TVs, and Mini-LED TVs. All these TVs are LCD TVs at the core, but they have extra technologies, which are often reflected in these marketing terms. Marketing confusion aside, here's what helps modern LCD TVs deliver a good visual performance.

How LCD TVs are bridging the picture quality gap with OLED TVs​


AA1QAXyf.img
Product packaging for a TCL Mini-LED 4K TV


It's true that OLED TVs have a better picture quality than LCD TVs. However, in the last several years, LCD TV manufacturers have implemented several technologies that have closed the gap between an LCD TV and an OLED TV. Some of these technologies include Mini-LED backlighting, quantum dot technology, and full-array local dimming. Each of these technical-sounding terms takes the LCD picture quality to the next level. For example, Mini-LED backlighting, which is used in most good LCD TVs on the market right now, enables better backlight control and higher peak brightness, which not only helps the TV deal with glare and reflections in a brightly-lit room but also improves black levels.


t's typically paired with full-array local dimming, which controls when and which of these tiny LEDs are lit or dimmed in a scene to give you deeper blacks and brighter highlights where needed. Quantum dot technology, on the other hand, enhances the color production and is far more efficient than the traditional color filter. So, an LCD TV with quantum dots can display a purer and wider range of colors, helping produce a more lifelike picture for you. Thanks to these three display technologies, most people don't need to spend the big bucks buying an OLED TV. A Mini-LED TV is the closest you can get to an OLED in terms of colors and brightness — for a much lower price.

Use some of your savings to improve your TV setup​

AA1QAVhx.img
A soundbar placed below a TV in a living room

TV is often just one part of a good visual or home theater setup, and with the right devices, you can substantially improve your TV-viewing experience. You can use some of the money saved to get some additional devices. For example, a soundbar is often a no-brainer add-on if you appreciate good sound, as modern TVs don't really deliver good audio due to their inherently thin nature. This can easily be solved with a good soundbar that won't cost you a lot and will seamlessly attach to your TV using the ARC or eARC port.

Bias lighting is one cheap little upgrade that you can make to your TV setup to enhance the viewing experience in dark ambient conditions. It helps reduce eye strain and also tricks your eyes into perceiving better black levels and more vibrant colors. Finally, if you are not enjoying your TV's built-in operating system or you feel your TV is running slow, you can add a separate streaming device, such as an Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, Google TV Streamer 4K, or Roku Ultra, to get better performance. With an Apple TV 4K, you can even ditch most of the spying and advertising done by modern TVs and streaming devices.


 
My Sony Bravia LCD is pretty good

But the damn Samsung and Vizio OLEDs........

Good lawd those mfkrs are amazing to watch


However, most mfkrs are not spending close to/ or more than $3K for a 65" TV

Some of the alternatives technologies (mini led/ Qled) and alternative brands (Hisense) are making strides and make great TVs.
 
My Sony Bravia LCD is pretty good

But the damn Samsung and Vizio OLEDs........

Good lawd those mfkrs are amazing to watch


However, most mfkrs are not spending close to/ or more than $3K for a 65" TV

Some of the alternatives technologies (mini led/ Qled) and alternative brands (Hisense) are making strides and make great TVs.
I still remember when Vizio was basically a disposable Walmart brand...... a TV made for the "kids" room, they're trying to step up their game, but are they reliable or a kids TV with a suit on?


.
 
Go Sony or go home. They cost more but last forever. Stay away from LG.
I agree.... and got the loot for a good Sony...... never had an LG..... I've got 2 Toshiba Studio Standard TV's.... one I had in my master bedroom and got about 15 years of hard video gaming out of it, and one in the guest bedroom which I swapped out with the one in the master bedroom when the screen died. Sound still worked but no picture... :smh: :hmm:
sidebar: I got a 52" plasma in the living room 22 years old, for when company comes over, been unplugged for years, someone with a similar remote must live nearby, shit would turn on by itsel middle of the night. And when company came over it was mostly female and watched TV with me in the master bedroom



.
 
I still remember when Vizio was basically a disposable Walmart brand...... a TV made for the "kids" room, they're trying to step up their game, but are they reliable or a kids TV with a suit on?


.

Vizio, LG and Samsung make the panels for most of the TVs on the market, (Sony included).

Vizio had a rough period a while back, but ai just looked at them recently and WOW.

If they've relaxed on all the bloatware and made their AI and AD based features completely removeable/disabled then better.
 
Last edited:
Go Sony or go home. They cost more but last forever. Stay away from LG.

I own a 4K Sony. Sonys are great for broadcast TV/ Sports because a lot of them are filmed using Sony cameras. Something about the color processing.

However, being completely objective...... there are some Samsung LG and Vizio today, that are damn close if not equal or even better than Sony.

I believe LG is the current manufacturer of their panels. And the LG C5 is getting rave reviews.

Www.Rtings.com

was my goto spot on tv ratings. They really breakdown their testing methodology and seem pretty fair and unbiased in their results.
 
I own a 4K Sony. Sonys are great for broadcast TV/ Sports because a lot of them are filmed using Sony cameras. Something about the color processing.

However, being completely objective...... there are some Samsung LG and Vizio today, that are damn close if not equal or even better than Sony.

I believe LG is the current manufacturer of their panels. And the LG C5 is getting rave reviews.

Www.Rtings.com

was my goto spot on tv ratings. They really breakdown their testing methodology and seem pretty fair and unbiased in their results.


I know of quite a few people who had issues with LG including myself. My issue seems like a network card issue. I dunno if it's the software or hardware but that shit continuously drops out from the network. The TV was abou 5yrs old when it started and progressively got worst. Even the HDMI outputs was fucking up.
 
I know of quite a few people who had issues with LG including myself. My issue seems like a network card issue. I dunno if it's the software or hardware but that shit continuously drops out from the network. The TV was abou 5yrs old when it started and progressively got worst. Even the HDMI outputs was fucking up.

Damn, that sucks fam.......

But when it was working 100% how was it?
IMO sounds like a software issue if it connects, drops, and reconnects. Have you checked for a fix or OS update on their website?
 
Go Sony or go home. They cost more but last forever. Stay away from LG.
My LG 55 inch OLED just went. Called LG to help me troubleshoot and their rep said was a bad panel - discontinued. I have it set aside in hopes of fixing it bc the picture quality was flawless! My first OLED TV purchase. I can't let her go. :dunno:
 
My LG 55 inch OLED just went. Called LG to help me troubleshoot and their rep said was a bad panel - discontinued. I have it set aside in hopes of fixing it bc the picture quality was flawless! My first OLED TV purchase. I can't let her go. :dunno:

Have you looked into replacing the panel?

I'm not sure if Oleds are that much more difficult to replace than traditional LCD. But it should be doable
 
Damn, that sucks fam.......

But when it was working 100% how was it?
IMO sounds like a software issue if it connects, drops, and reconnects. Have you checked for a fix or OS update on their website?

No complaints about the picture quality at all. I ran updates but it didn't help. I was gonna replace the network card
but said fuck it and bought a new tv.


My LG 55 inch OLED just went. Called LG to help me troubleshoot and their rep said was a bad panel - discontinued. I have it set aside in hopes of fixing it bc the picture quality was flawless! My first OLED TV purchase. I can't let her go. :dunno:

Lol I totally understand you not throwing it out after spending a grip to get it.
Mine was a 65inch and I too still have mine hoping for a resurrection. I did replace it with a sony.
 
No complaints about the picture quality at all. I ran updates but it didn't help. I was gonna replace the network card
but said fuck it and bought a new tv.




Lol I totally understand you not throwing it out after spending a grip to get it.
Mine was a 65inch and I too still have mine hoping for a resurrection. I did replace it with a sony.
I have another LG 77inch OLED in the box waiting to install in another room. Spending a grip after snatching a sale too! I might have to check Sony out too.
 
Have you looked into replacing the panel?

I'm not sure if Oleds are that much more difficult to replace than traditional LCD. But it should be doable
That's my next step. Let me know if you have any recommended sites. Rep mentioned in the upper hundreds to replace. I'm going to seriously look into it.
 
Go Sony or go home. They cost more but last forever. Stay away from LG.
crazy talk

every TV i own is a LG never had a problem

a lot of people run out and buy Black friday cheap LG TVs then complain when they go out

buy quality no matter the brand
 
crazy talk

every TV i own is a LG never had a problem

a lot of people run out and buy Black friday cheap LG TVs then complain when they go out

buy quality no matter the brand

I've never been black Friday shopping. Are you saying LG makes a cheaper, lesser quality TV for black Fridays?
 
I've never been black Friday shopping. Are you saying LG makes a cheaper, lesser quality TV for black Fridays?

He's talking about the "doorbuster" specials that Target, Wal-Mart and etc have....

Usually a 50" for like $199- $249 a 60" for around $350 and 65" might be $400-$450. Real cheap-o's
 
I've never been black Friday shopping. Are you saying LG makes a cheaper, lesser quality TV for black Fridays?
THEY ALL DO bro..... you actually think that Sony doesn't? ...... not everyone can afford their top deck shit.... they got their Walmart models too... especially shit with slower processors :yes:


.
 
Back
Top