Louisiana Creole contingent chime in here..

Is this woman black or white?

• Black

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • White

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Ok, so I don’t really know the full story here but from my limited understanding of the situation, this woman was bullied online for claiming she’s black.

Now I think it’s safe to say, most would look at her and say that she is a white lady. She’s posted photos of her parents and grandparents and they’re looking mighty white by all accounts.

Scroll to the end of this video for proof:

But as it’s referred to in Louisiana, she considered “passé Blanc“ which translates to white passing.

My question is, what is she considered to folks in Louisiana first and foremost?

Is she a white lady? Or is she black?

And for everyone outside of the Louisiana creole community, what do you see when you see this woman?

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Louisiana Creoles come in all colors, hair types, and looks.

This was NEVER an issue until these young kids on the internet started overanalyzing it.

Yes, she looks white but I guarantee you if she were to NOT acknowledge her Black heritage or play it safe (like The Rock does) she would be roundly criticized by those around her.

This is just another case of young people on the internet overanalyzing shit that doesn't need to be overanalyzed.

It's as simple as that.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Also it should be noted that passe blanc is not a descriptive term, it's really an insult.

You do NOT want to be accused of passing and BGOL members who are Creole or live or have lived in Louisiana have encountered Black people who look this way and they will tell you that attempting to be something you are not will be met with criticism and ostracization.

And yes white folks in Louisiana know this too. This shit is an open secret at this point. New Orleans' last white mayor, Mitch Landrieu recently confirmed long standing rumors that his great-grandmother was Black.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Louisiana Creoles come in all colors, hair types, and looks.

This was NEVER an issue until these young kids on the internet started overanalyzing it.

Yes, she looks white but I guarantee you if she were to NOT acknowledge her Black heritage or play it safe (like The Rock does) she would be roundly criticized by those around her.

This is just another case of young people on the internet overanalyzing shit that doesn't need to be overanalyzed.

It's as simple as that.
I agree about the over analyzing part. I be feeling like we took 10 steps backwards cause how are these kids as colorstruck as they are these days? Always found that strange.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I watched somehting with h rap brown who was from Louisiana and he said there are creole that appear white. But are black.
It was Felipe luicano that said h rap brown had toook him to Louisiana and he asked why are those white people here with the blacks. And he said they ain’t white they black.

And if you ever look at Adam Clayton powelll. He’s black but you would never know it.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I agree about the over analyzing part. I be feeling like we took 10 steps backwards cause how are these kids as colorstruck as they are these days? Always found that strange.

It's definitely a 10-step back moment with this whole situation because you have people on Twitter, who literally think that an untold number of Black Creoles should just leave the Black race and identify as mixed because they don't fit a certain phenotype. When I was growing up we used to say "we come in all colors". I guess now Black America should be "homogeneous" like Asian countries and completely disregard what happened during slavery which gave the average African American about 20% European DNA and varied our looks.

And it's quite obvious that this is not the prevailing opinion of the Black community as a whole.

Raven Symone recently had to clarify comments she made nearly a decade ago, in which she said she wasn't African American. She was roundly criticized for that.

And as the Williams Sisters began to reach the end of their careers, There was an obvious search for the next Black female tennis star and when Madison Keys was spotlighted, she responded "I'm not white or Black, I'm just me, I'm Madison" and Black America basically never paid attention to her again. Naomi Osaka is Haitian/Japanese and acknowledged both sides immediately became beloved.

The Black community has never responded positively to people downplaying or seemingly rejecting their Blackness that's why that woman was moved to tears at the responses.

(and yes, stay off the internet is a valid response, the best thing on the internet sometimes is the "X" in the top right to close it out.)

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Louisiana Creoles

Of course some look more white than black while some look more black than white,sometimes that's just how it goes.But she was raised as a black woman,ok but how about you log off of the internet cause no one knew who you was or what you are,problem solved and you can be black in the daylight and when the lights are off and no one will give two fucks.

But it's just not a Louisiana thing cause my great grandmother was white born,raised and grow in The Bahamas but don't you or anyone else dare call or address her as a white woman,ever and she might not of known much about nothing but she knew what and who she wasn't no matter how she looked.

Black folks want to claim everything which they can cause they were getting raped but rarely do you see whites trying to claim being black no matter how they act,there's still a line drawn;A poor ass cracker is still just a poor ass cracker no matter how they act or mix and mingle and a lot of times you'll have to find that out the hardway.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I guess my family is the only one with people.of all different shades of Black. Shit head to my family reunion summer cookout and her appearance is common. I don't look like her but my cousin's do, and nobody has married white people.

I feel for her, but gotta stop reading the comments.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
My family is Creole and I have quite a few relatives that look similar to this woman. They are all from Louisiana and none of them seem to be as sensitive as this woman. They are all really proud to be Creole too.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
But it's just not a Louisiana thing cause my great grandmother was white born,raised and grow in The Bahamas but don't you or anyone else dare call or address her as a white woman,ever and she might not of known much about nothing but she knew what and who she wasn't no matter how she looked.
So if I’m hearing you correctly, race doesn’t matter. It’s the culture your grandma was raised in that mattered.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
It's definitely a 10-step back moment with this whole situation because you have people on Twitter, who literally think that an untold number of Black Creoles should just leave the Black race and identify as mixed because they don't fit a certain phenotype. When I was growing up we used to say "we come in all colors". I guess now Black America should be "homogeneous" like Asian countries and completely disregard what happened during slavery which gave the average African American about 20% European DNA and varied our looks.

And it's quite obvious that this is not the prevailing opinion of the Black community as a whole.

Raven Symone recently had to clarify comments she made nearly a decade ago, in which she said she wasn't African American. She was roundly criticized for that.

And as the Williams Sisters began to reach the end of their careers, There was an obvious search for the next Black female tennis star and when Madison Keys was spotlighted, she responded "I'm not white or Black, I'm just me, I'm Madison" and Black America basically never paid attention to her again. Naomi Osaka is Haitian/Japanese and acknowledged both sides immediately became beloved.

The Black community has never responded positively to people downplaying or seemingly rejecting their Blackness that's why that woman was moved to tears at the responses.

(and yes, stay off the internet is a valid response, the best thing on the internet sometimes is the "X" in the top right to close it out.)
What’s been clear through this is, and something I never knew, is that there’s a divide between the Louisiana types who are used to seeing white folks in their familial unit, and seemingly the rest of black America that go by the One Drop Rule, which this woman doesn’t qualify for in their eyes.

Seems to be split down the middle.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
What’s been clear through this is, and something I never knew, is that there’s a divide between the Louisiana types who are used to seeing white folks in their familial unit, and seemingly the rest of black America that go by the One Drop Rule, which this woman doesn’t qualify for in their eyes.

Seems to be split down the middle.

One thing that should be pointed out is that while there are white-looking people in many Creole families, most of us are over 150 years away from our last full white ancestor.

While those people are probably realistically 50 to 70% European they have always identified as Black or were grouped in with the rest of Black society due to the one-drop rule and several other factors which is a nuanced part of living in or having roots in Louisiana but despite the nuance, the greater Black community seemed to have a basic understanding of the issue due to the fact all Black Americans (any descendants of African slaves) will carry sizable amount of European DNA and Louisiana is not the only place with Black people who can pass for white.

This "split" is an entirely new thing that comes from younger Black folks wanting to push back on the one-drop rule for being racist, which is legitimate but not understanding that it won't come with a simple solution.

Also what's not getting mentioned is that this issue is split between men and women. All of us in this thread are men, nobody here really gives a shit about the issue and nobody in this thread cares if some Wentworth Miller-looking nigga decides to call himself a Black man. Black women on the other have cared but throughout the history of the United States, light-skinned Black women have either occupied too much space or space that didn't belong to them and the issue of Black men choosing lighter skinned partners is a continuing issue.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So if I’m hearing you correctly, race doesn’t matter. It’s the culture your grandma was raised in that mattered.
She was on the tail end of slavery so I doubt it was culture she was one of the slave owners children but no matter what she still wasn't white she was black and migrating to the United States where she wouldn't be accepted by whites but had to defend herself against other blacks assumptions of her own identity which was not much of a concern cause she had other things to worry about.We're talking about a woman that couldn't read or write.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My father-in-law is 82. He worked on a shrimp boat out of Beaufort, NC in the 60's. He said his white captain tried to recruit him to go down to Louisiana for shrimp season. He said the captain said "c'mon you will love it, down in Louisiana they have black women who look like the sun never touched them."

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
One thing that should be pointed out is that while there are white-looking people in many Creole families, most of us are over 150 years away from our last full white ancestor.

While those people are probably realistically 50 to 70% European they have always identified as Black or were grouped in with the rest of Black society due to the one-drop rule and several other factors which is a nuanced part of living in or having roots in Louisiana but despite the nuance, the greater Black community seemed to have a basic understanding of the issue due to the fact all Black Americans (any descendants of African slaves) will carry sizable amount of European DNA and Louisiana is not the only place with Black people who can pass for white.

This "split" is an entirely new thing that comes from younger Black folks wanting to push back on the one-drop rule for being racist, which is legitimate but not understanding that it won't come with a simple solution.

Also what's not getting mentioned is that this issue is split between men and women. All of us in this thread are men, nobody here really gives a shit about the issue and nobody in this thread cares if some Wentworth Miller-looking nigga decides to call himself a Black man. Black women on the other have cared but throughout the history of the United States, light-skinned Black women have either occupied too much space or space that didn't belong to them and the issue of Black men choosing lighter skinned partners is a continuing issue.
Lotta nuance for sure. Where else would you say the white passing exists in these United States?

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
She was on the tail end of slavery so I doubt it was culture she was one of the slave owners children but no matter what she still wasn't white she was black and migrating to the United States where she wouldn't be accepted by whites but had to defend herself against other blacks assumptions of her own identity which was not much of a concern cause she had other things to worry about.We're talking about a woman that couldn't read or write.
Does this mean the slave owners were all white or was your grandmothers mother or father black?

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
There are Creoles all over the gulf as well as a sizable portion in Southern California.. I've heard things about the DMV but I'm not knowledgeable about that.
As a DMV native, I’ve rarely ever seen that here. I’ve rarely seen that, if at all, on the east coast for that matter.

That’s probably there’s a disconnect as to why many aren’t understanding the Louisiana acceptance

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
As a DMV native, I’ve rarely ever seen that here. I’ve rarely seen that, if at all, on the east coast for that matter.

That’s probably there’s a disconnect as to why many aren’t understanding the Louisiana acceptance

So you've never seen light skinned Blacks, in some cases, light enough to pass for white in the DMV because I've been told they are there but I've never been to the area so I can't speak on it.

The split or disconnect was never really an issue, until terms like "white passing" or "white presenting" entered Black people's lexicon and even in that case, we are still talking about mostly Black members of Gen Z, mostly female and mostly online.

Black men (of any age) mostly do not care and after the word creole trended on Twitter for 4 or 5 straight days, after day 3 or so, the creoles started telling outsiders to shut the fuck up because they grew tired of trying to explain themselves and defend their Blackness, because like I said the second post, this had never become an issue till now and honestly it's just youngsters online overanalyzing shit, when next trend comes, we'll be back to our regularly schedule programming or people will start calling Louisiana Creoles, Haitians again.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
So you've never seen light skinned Blacks, in some cases, light enough to pass for white in the DMV because I've been told they are there but I've never been to the area so I can't speak on it.
No no, we got plenty of lightskins in the DMV but none that are white passing that I’ve seen. Not to say they don’t exist but is very rare. More times than not, you see a lightskin here and you still know they black. It’s never a question unlike how it was with this lady.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Black men (of any age) mostly do not care and after the word creole trended on Twitter for 4 or 5 straight days, after day 3 or so, the creoles started telling outsiders to shut the fuck up because they grew tired of trying to explain themselves and defend their Blackness, because like I said the second post, this had never become an issue till now and honestly it's just youngsters online overanalyzing shit, when next trend comes, we'll be back to our regularly schedule programming or people will start calling Louisiana Creoles, Haitians again.
And that’s why I decided to ask natives of Louisiana cause I know it’s different there. Eventually these conversations are gonna have to be had on a larger scale, with the internet and all, and within the black community so we might as well see what the consensus is.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
And that’s why I decided to ask natives of Louisiana cause I know it’s different there. Eventually these conversations are gonna have to be had on a larger scale, with the internet and all, and within the black community so we might as well see what the consensus is.

I do agree that the conversation is going to have to be had because the fact is, the one drop rule is racist and along with other forms of racism, it must go but it should said, that there is no overnight or simple solution to this issue.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I do agree that the conversation is going to have to be had because the fact is, the one drop rule is racist and along with other forms of racism, it must go but it should said, that there is no overnight or simple solution to this issue.
It’s definitely not an easy or simple solution.

It is an interesting contrast though. Effectively, if Louisiana creoles don’t subscribe to the rule, which is fine, I have no gripes with that, does it then open up Pandora’s box with the Rachel Dolezal’s of the world claiming blackness?

If being judged strictly based on looks are no longer a, or in many cases THE determining factor, are we ready as a black community to accept anyone and everyone that chooses pops in? Is the cookout invite enough of a pass?

Do these young Gen-Z’ers who are microanalytical as you say, have a point? Is gatekeeping still the answer or are we moving on from it?

So much to dissolve