Dianne Feinstein announces she won’t run for reelection in 2024

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
230214135512-01-dianne-feinstein-0213.jpg

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) walks to the Senate Chambers during a series of the votes at the U.S. Capitol Building on February 13, 2023 in Washington, DC.

CNN —
Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein announced on Tuesday that she will not run for reelection in 2024, a major moment for a historic political career as the fight to succeed her is already under way.

“I am announcing today I will not run for reelection in 2024 but intend to accomplish as much for California as I can through the end of next year when my term ends,” Feinstein said in a statement.

A number of Democrats have already launched campaigns for Feinstein’s seat in 2024 in what is shaping up to be a competitive primary. Rep. Adam Schiff announced his candidacy in January, joining fellow California Rep. Katie Porter, who has also announced a bid.

Feinstein, 89, has been a fixture of California politics for decades and was first elected to the US Senate in 1992. She holds the title of longest-serving female US senator in history. Feinstein broke a number of glass ceilings throughout her life – and her career has been marked by a series of historic firsts.

The California Democrat has left her fingerprints on some of Capitol Hill’s most consequential works in recent history – including the since-lapsed federal assault weapons ban in 1994 and the 2014 CIA torture report.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer opened his weekly policy presser on Tuesday with praise for Feinstein.

“She’s a legend,” said Schumer. “A legend in California as the first woman senator, a legend in this Senate. She was the leader on so many different issues: assault weapons, environment, women’s rights and so much else.”

Though she was a proud native of one of the most famously liberal cities in the country, Feinstein earned a reputation over her years in the Senate as someone eager to work across the aisle with Republicans, and at times sparked pushback and criticism from progressives.

In her statement released on Tuesday, Feinstein said, “Even with a divided Congress, we can still pass bills that will improve lives. Each of us was sent here to solve problems. That’s what I’ve done for the last 30 years, and that’s what I plan to do for the next two years. My thanks to the people of California for allowing me to serve them.”

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Yeah, it’s time. Also, she is really getting old.
PAST time.... she forgot she announced her own retirement... :hmm:

Feinstein corrected by staffer about retirement announcement

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) needed to be corrected by a staffer on Tuesday that her office had put out a statement announcing her decision to retire from her Senate seat.

A reporter asked Feinstein, 89, if she had any message for her Senate colleagues after her retirement statement was issued by her office.
Feinstein asked the reporter what he was referring to, and he responded that he meant about her decision to not run for reelection.

“Well, I haven’t made that decision. I haven’t released anything,” she said.

“Senator, we put out your statement,” a staff member for Feinstein quickly cut in.

“You put out the statement?” Feinstein responded. “I should have known they put it out.”

In her statement, Feinstein said that she would finish out her term, which is set to end in January 2025, but not run for reelection next year.

Feinstein announces retirement at end of term

Feinstein’s announcement and the subsequent temporary confusion came after much anticipation about the longtime senator’s pending decision. She has served in the Senate since winning a special election to the seat in 1992, which made her one of the first two women elected to represent California in the body.
But Democrats have raised concerns in recent years about her age and mental acuity, as she has shown some instances of memory lapses.

Feinstein is the oldest currently serving senator at 89 years old and will be 91 by the time her term ends in 2025. She was eligible to serve as president pro tempore during this session of Congress as the longest-serving member of the majority party in the Senate, but she declined to take the role, instead passing it to Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

She previously said she would announce her decision on whether she would run for reelection in the spring. But multiple prominent California Democrats had already jumped into the race to replace her.

Rep. Katie Porter became the first candidate in the race in January, and Rep. Adam Schiff launched his bid later in the month. Schiff said after announcing his run that Feinstein told him to “go forward” with his candidacy despite her not formally making her decision.

Rep. Barbara Lee is reportedly expected to kick off a run for Feinstein’s seat by the end of the month, and Rep. Ro Khanna has also been the subject of rumors about launching his own campaign for the seat.

Feinstein has said before that she would complete the remainder of her term if she chose to not seek reelection in 2024, meaning she will stay in the Senate for almost two more years.

“I think the time has come,” Feinstein told reporters Tuesday.

She said she has “things that are underway” in the Senate and hopes to achieve them with her remaining time in her position.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported last year that colleagues of Feinstein’s were expressing concerns about her mental fitness to serve in her role.

Feinstein corrected by staffer about retirement announcement | The Hill

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Post, 'cause I was looking if they can do this.
Can't just swap out Judiciary members, unless the full Senate approves.
dunno..

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Post, 'cause I was looking if they can do this.
Can't just swap out Judiciary members, unless the full Senate approves.
dunno..

Nevermind, Schumer can't
Shouldn't have put her on the committee to begin with.
People were complaining before he did that..

Last edited:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Shout out Ro Khanna Reppin the Bay. He wants her to resign because he represents a Black woman who will take her place. Gavin Newsom already said he’d appoint a Black woman that would replace her so Khanna is an advocate to get a young Black woman in there who he works with.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, it’s time. Also, she is really getting old.
No shit. She should retire IMMEDIATELY. Selfish bitch is holding up Biden's judicial nominations because of her prolonged absences and we need to get as many liberal judges confirmed as is possible to combat the racist pricks Trump and McConnell put on the bench.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Another old cac that don't know when to quit, I call it "Ruth Bader-Ginsberg" syndrome... :hmm:

You're right!!! Old Ruthie was almost always on the right side of things but nobody beats pancreatic cancer for very long and she knew her health was failing and should have retired while Obama was still in office and the Dems still had control of the Senate.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She was what?

I see you convenienty omitted that she almost immediately apologized for to Kap for her ill advised comment.

Last edited:

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes. The filthy racist devil got checked for her evil racism.

Oh she made her original comment denouncing refusal to stand for the Athem because Kap is black??? C'mon man..
Many people make ill advised statements, at least she immediately sincerely apologized for hers.

I'm not caping for RBG but the fact of the matter is she was one of the most Liberal judges on the Court and just like I'm not willing call her a saint I'm also not willing to call her a racist devil because of one misstep.

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor
Oh she made her original comment denouncing refusal to stand for the Athem because Kap is black??? C'mon man..
Many people make ill advised statements, at least she immediately apologized for hers.

I'm not caping for RBG but the fact of the matter is she was one of the most Liberal judges on the Court and just like I'm not willing call her a saint I'm also not willing to call her a racist devil because of one misstep.
You said "she's always right" my guy.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You said "she's always right" my guy.

And just as she corrected her error I did the same and amended my original comment to read "she was almost always on the right side of things...". One of my favorite quotations is, "anyone can make an error, but the error doesn't become an mistake until you refuse to correct it", she did and that's why I gave the old broad a pass on this one. :)

Last edited: