Hollywood WTF? Academy Award nominated actor Djimon Hounsou says he's still "struggling to try to make a dollar."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Television[edit]

YearTitleRoleNotes
1990Beverly Hills, 90210DoormanEpisode: "Class of Beverly Hills"
1999ERMobalage Ikabo6 episodes
2000The Wild ThornberrysVillager (voice)Episode: "Luck Be an Aye-Aye"
2001Soul FoodVictor OnukaEpisode: "Games People Play"
2003–2004AliasKazari Bomani3 episodes
2010Black PantherT'Challa / Black Panther (voice)6 episodes
2016Wayward PinesCJ Mitchum8 episodes
2018DreamWorks DragonsDrago Bludvist (voice)Episode: "King of Dragons, Part 2"
2019The Longest Day in Chang'anMaster GeEpisode: "Time Of Great Waste"
2021InvincibleMartian Emperor (voice)Episode: "Neil Armstrong, Eat Your Heart Out"
2021What If...?Korath (voice)Episode: "What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Film[edit]

YearTitleRoleNotes
1990Without You I’m NothingEx-Boyfriend
1992Unlawful EntryPrisoner On Bench
1993Killing ZoeMoïse (voice)
1994StargateHorusCredited as "Djimon"
1997Ill Gotten GainsFyah
AmistadJoseph Cinqué
1998Deep RisingVivo
2000GladiatorJuba
2002Le BouletDetective Youssouf
The Four FeathersAbou Fatma
2003In AmericaMateo
Biker Boyz'Motherland'
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider – The Cradle of LifeKosa
2004BlueberryWoodhead
2005ConstantinePapa Midnite
Beauty ShopJoe
The IslandAlbert Laurent
2006Blood DiamondSolomon Vandy
EragonAjihad
2008Never Back DownJean Roqua
2009PushHenry Carver
2010The TempestCaliban
2011Elephant WhiteCurtis 'Curtie' Church
Special ForcesKovax
2013Baggage ClaimQuinton Jamison
2014How to Train Your Dragon 2Drago Bludvist (voice)
Guardians of the GalaxyKorath the Pursuer
Seventh SonRadu
2015Furious 7Mose Jakande
The Vatican TapesVicar Imani
AirCartwright
2016The Legend of TarzanChief Mbonga
2017King Arthur: Legend of the SwordBedivere
Same Kind of Different as MeDenver
2018AquamanKing Ricou (voice)
In Search of Voodoo: Roots to HeavenNarratorAlso co-writer
Documentary
2019SerenityDuke
Captain MarvelKorath
Shazam!The Wizard
Charlie's AngelsEdgar 'Bosley' Dessange
2020A Quiet Place Part IIMan On Island
2021The King's ManShola
2022Paws of Fury: The Legend of HankSumo (voice)
Black AdamThe Wizard
2023Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Gran TurismoSteve MardenboroughFilming
Rebel Moon[31]General TitusPost-production
2024A Quiet Place: Day OneMan On IslandFilming[32]

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Djimon Hounsou Is ‘Still Struggling to Make a Dollar’ in Hollywood: ‘I Feel Tremendously Cheated’ in Terms of Pay and Workload

By Zack Sharf

Djimon Hounsou’s acting career spans 33 years and includes two Academy Award nominations (“In America” and “Blood Diamond”), action blockbusters like “Furious 7,” superhero movies such as “Shazam!” and collaborations with Steven Spielberg (“Amistad”) and Ridley Scott (“Gladiator”), yet he told The Guardian that he still feels “tremendously cheated” when it comes to Hollywood pay.
“I’m still struggling to try to make a dollar!” Hounsou said. “I’ve come up in the business with some people who are absolutely well off and have very little of my accolades. So I feel cheated, tremendously cheated, in terms of finances and in terms of the workload as well.”
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lance-reddick-dead-reactions-the-wire-1235557914/

“I’ve gone to studios for meetings and they’re like: ‘Wow, we felt like you just got off the boat and then went back [after ‘Amistad’]. We didn’t know you were here as a true actor,’” Hounsou continued. “When you hear things like that, you can see that some people’s vision of you, or what you represent, is very limiting. But it is what it is. It’s up to me to redeem that.”

“I still have to prove why I need to get paid,” he added. “They always come at me with a complete low ball: ‘We only have this much for the role, but we love you so much and we really think you can bring so much’… Film after film, it’s a struggle. I have yet to meet the film that paid me fairly.”
Hounsou said Hollywood has overlooked him from the beginning, starting with his breakthrough role as a rebellious enslaved person in Spielberg’s “Amistad.” Despite earning universal acclaim, it was his co-star Anthony Hopkins who got the film’s sole Oscar nomination. With 2016’s “Blood Diamond,” the Academy nominated Hounsou for supporting actor and his co-star Leonardo DiCaprio for lead actor, despite the film equally focusing on Hounsou’s character.
“I felt seriously cheated,” Hounsou told The Guardian. “Today, we talk so much about the Oscars being so white, but I remember there was a time where I had no support at all: no support from my own people, no support from the media, from the industry itself. It felt like: ‘You should be happy that you’ve got nominated,’ and that’s that.”
Hounsou is now back in theaters as a wizard in Warner Bros.’ “Shazam! Fury of the Gods.” It’s a supporting role that has been greatly expanded compared to the limited screen time he got in the first “Shazam!” movie.
“Out of them all, the DC universe has a level of respect,” Hounsou said. “There wasn’t much to the role at first, and I did it and it was fun. But the second time around it was a little more respectful.”
“From time to time, [Hollywood] themselves make the point of saying: ‘We should give him more, he’s a little under-appreciated.’ I think they recognize that themselves,” Hounsou concluded. “Hey, it’s the struggle I have to overcome!”
“Shazam! Fury of the Gods” is now playing in theaters nationwide.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Djimon Hounsou Is ‘Still Struggling to Make a Dollar’ in Hollywood: ‘I Feel Tremendously Cheated’ in Terms of Pay and Workload

By Zack Sharf

Djimon Hounsou’s acting career spans 33 years and includes two Academy Award nominations (“In America” and “Blood Diamond”), action blockbusters like “Furious 7,” superhero movies such as “Shazam!” and collaborations with Steven Spielberg (“Amistad”) and Ridley Scott (“Gladiator”), yet he told The Guardian that he still feels “tremendously cheated” when it comes to Hollywood pay.
“I’m still struggling to try to make a dollar!” Hounsou said. “I’ve come up in the business with some people who are absolutely well off and have very little of my accolades. So I feel cheated, tremendously cheated, in terms of finances and in terms of the workload as well.”
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lance-reddick-dead-reactions-the-wire-1235557914/

“I’ve gone to studios for meetings and they’re like: ‘Wow, we felt like you just got off the boat and then went back [after ‘Amistad’]. We didn’t know you were here as a true actor,’” Hounsou continued. “When you hear things like that, you can see that some people’s vision of you, or what you represent, is very limiting. But it is what it is. It’s up to me to redeem that.”

“I still have to prove why I need to get paid,” he added. “They always come at me with a complete low ball: ‘We only have this much for the role, but we love you so much and we really think you can bring so much’… Film after film, it’s a struggle. I have yet to meet the film that paid me fairly.”
Hounsou said Hollywood has overlooked him from the beginning, starting with his breakthrough role as a rebellious enslaved person in Spielberg’s “Amistad.” Despite earning universal acclaim, it was his co-star Anthony Hopkins who got the film’s sole Oscar nomination. With 2016’s “Blood Diamond,” the Academy nominated Hounsou for supporting actor and his co-star Leonardo DiCaprio for lead actor, despite the film equally focusing on Hounsou’s character.
“I felt seriously cheated,” Hounsou told The Guardian. “Today, we talk so much about the Oscars being so white, but I remember there was a time where I had no support at all: no support from my own people, no support from the media, from the industry itself. It felt like: ‘You should be happy that you’ve got nominated,’ and that’s that.”
Hounsou is now back in theaters as a wizard in Warner Bros.’ “Shazam! Fury of the Gods.” It’s a supporting role that has been greatly expanded compared to the limited screen time he got in the first “Shazam!” movie.
“Out of them all, the DC universe has a level of respect,” Hounsou said. “There wasn’t much to the role at first, and I did it and it was fun. But the second time around it was a little more respectful.”
“From time to time, [Hollywood] themselves make the point of saying: ‘We should give him more, he’s a little under-appreciated.’ I think they recognize that themselves,” Hounsou concluded. “Hey, it’s the struggle I have to overcome!”
“Shazam! Fury of the Gods” is now playing in theaters nationwide.

I’m sorry but :roflmao:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Djimon Hounsou says pay equity is a constant battle: 'I have yet to meet the film that paid me fairly'

Despite Oscar nominations and turns in big-budget superhero movies, the actor says he still gets lowballed on acting jobs.

By Maureen Lee LenkerMarch 17, 2023 at 10:58 PM EDT

Djimon Hounsou has been acting in prestigious dramas and big-budget blockbusters for decades, but he says he's still fighting for proper recognition and fair pay in Hollywood.
In a new interview with the Guardian, the Shazam! Fury of the Gods star, 58, said that he feels "cheated" by the inequalities he's experienced and is "still struggling to try to make a dollar" after years of hard work.
"I've come up in the business with some people who are absolutely well off and have very little of my accolades," Hounsou said. "So I feel cheated, tremendously cheated, in terms of finances and in terms of the workload as well. I still have to prove why I need to get paid. They always come at me with a complete low ball: 'We only have this much for the role, but we love you so much and we really think you can bring so much.'"

He added that fellow actor Viola Davis "said it beautifully: she's won an Oscar, she's won an Emmy, she's won a Tony and she still can't get paid. Film after film, it's a struggle. I have yet to meet the film that paid me fairly."

Djimon Hounsou

| CREDIT: KARWAI TANG/WIREIMAGE
Hounsou, who grew up in Benin and France before moving to the U.S. to pursue acting, felt iniquities from the early days of his career. He first broke out with a leading role in Steven Spielberg's historical drama Amistad, and though his performance was critically acclaimed, Hounsou was overlooked for an Oscar nomination while his costar Anthony Hopkins received one.
"Maybe I was early," Hounsou told the Guardian. "If my movies had come out today I definitely would have gotten an Oscar already."
Hounsou did eventually earn Oscar nominations for 2003's In America and 2006's Blood Diamond. But for the latter film, his costar Leonardo DiCaprio received the Best Actor nomination, slotting Hounsou into the Best Supporting Actor category despite the film focusing on his character.

"I felt seriously cheated," Hounsou admitted. "Today, we talk so much about the Oscars being so white, but I remember there was a time where I had no support at all: no support from my own people, no support from the media, from the industry itself. It felt like: 'You should be happy that you've got nominated,' and that's that."
Still, Hounsou did credit his most recent role in the Shazam sequel as an improvement in the types of work he's offered, giving him more significant screen time and a comedic part.
"Out of them all, the DC universe has a level of respect," he said. "There wasn't much to the role at first and I did it and it was fun. But the second time around it was a little more respectful."

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Not looking for an excuse, cause he’s been in cinema for over 30 years and is struggling which sucks:

But

Wouldn’t some of that be on his agent?
Yeah something just doesn't seem right here.

kk5f0q.jpg

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
looks like hes had 15 different representatives at 3 different agencies over the years.

not sure if you can blame them.

Yea...some folk don't know how to pick a horse and run with it.....might be a difficult person to work with

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
So basically he wants to be paid multiple millions and probably gets a few million or upper six figure’s and is mad and pretending like it ain’t shit

Jan 31, 2023 — Djimon Hounsou's total net worth is around $14 Million. How old is Djimon Hounsou? Currently, Djimon Hounsou is 58 years old (24 April 1964).
Net Worth: $14 Million

Monthly Income: $90,000 +

Salary: $1 million +

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
His agent is going to fight systemic racism in Hollywood? How sway?

He isn't necesarily Denzel. He speaks with a heavy accent so his roles are actually limited.

Do you see him in a romantic comedy with Jennifer Anniston?

Or a triller with Julia Roberts?

How do you think that movie would do in this world climate?

Not looking for an excuse, cause he’s been in cinema for over 30 years and is struggling which sucks:

But

Wouldn’t some of that be on his agent?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Few million? U crazy? He probably lucky if he gets $50,000
Chris Evans got paid $300,000 for the 1st Captain America movie.
He was the STAR!

What he needs to do is work behind the scenes and become a director and producer.

So basically he wants to be paid multiple millions and probably gets a few million or upper six figure’s and is mad and pretending like it ain’t shit

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Jan 31, 2023 — Djimon Hounsou's total net worth is around $14 Million. How old is Djimon Hounsou? Currently, Djimon Hounsou is 58 years old (24 April 1964).
Net Worth: $14 Million

Monthly Income: $90,000 +

Salary: $1 million +

He wants to be paid for his experience and his acting ability but unfortunately he's not the draw.

Yes he's been in big movies but most aren't going to those movies to see Djimon.

Do Black actors get lowballed? Of course they do. They'd need to open the books to show the salaries paid to truly determine how much and if he's getting lowballed.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
He was the STAR!

What he needs to do is work behind the scenes and become a director and producer.

Yep surprisingly these MArvel actors don't get paid much unless the first movie was a success. Paul Rudd for 300K for Antman one then got 9 mill for Quantum Mania. Jonathan Majors got around 500k for Kang, if the movies are a success he will make bank for that final Avengers battle.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
He was the STAR!

You realize that 300k is just his base salary. They get paid on the net profits from the film and everything that comes from the films success. You think he got 300k and that was it? FOH , they negotiate contracts based on how well the movie does. Take a lower salary for higher revenue after the movie is released.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wonder what he's turning down... Most of his filmography is films...

Even most of the biggest actors got their feet wet as regulars on TV series not from only doing a handful of guest appearances...

It seems he thinks of himself as only a "Film actor" and over the last half of his career he didn't learn to adjust to the new Medium of the internet/streaming...

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No Evans did not a deal like that.
Downey Jr got that LATER on

Djimon is not on that level of stardom.

They only give back end to people They know are going to bring people into the theatres.
You realize that 300k is just his base salary. They get paid on the net profits from the film and everything that comes from the films success. You think he got 300k and that was it? FOH , they negotiate contracts based on how well the movie does. Take a lower salary for higher revenue after the movie is released.