MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damien Chazelle Has a Two-Hour Cut of Babylon in His iPhone Camera Roll
By Jennifer Zhan, a Vulture news blogger covering TV, movies and music

0ab5a3beeb2da421d7426ae5480bb01452-babylon-trailer.rsquare.w330.jpg

Here’s some vindicating news for anyone who thought Babylon was too Baby-long: A shorter version of the extravagant drama set in 1920s Hollywood does in fact exist. The final movie has a runtime of more than three hours, but per Entertainment Weekly, director Damien Chazelle revealed during a recent Q&A that he shot a snappier cut before filming officially began. “It’s a very tight, two-hour version of the entire movie, [filmed] on an iPhone in our backyard,” he said, in an impressively subtle flex of the size of his phone storage and his outdoor space. For this homemade video, he recruited just two actors. Olivia Hamilton (who is also Chazelle’s wife) played director Ruth Adler, and Diego Calva played assistant-turned-producer Manny Torres. “We rehearsed the whole movie in his backyard, only Olivia, Damien, and I,” Calva confirmed during the Q&A. “It was a very uncommon kind of situation.” In addition to Hamilton and Calva, the movie’s final cast includes Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Tobey Maguire, Li Jun Li, Jovan Adepo, and Jean Smart. Babylon is in theaters — and Chazelle’s camera roll — now.

from every review ive skimmed over everyone keeps giving the movie a 6 out of a 10 at best

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dead Zone(Tubi Original)

This movie is a Tubi original. And it shows, this shit is a cheap ass Sci-Fi/Action flick. With that being said the special effects and make up was the only things that was negative, about this movie. The story was basic nothing new, But it was tolerable. I would recommend this movie.

Baggage Claim(HBOMAX)

Saw this Wednesday night. And i thought this was good. Its a ROMCOM(Romantic comedy) Starring everyone favorite chef Paula Patton :lol: Just kidding, but yeah the story is nothing original. But it kept my attention for almost 2 hours. So I would recommend this movie, if anyone haven't seen this movie.

Robowoman(Tubi)

Skip this bullshit. Do not waste your time

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
from every review ive skimmed over everyone keeps giving the movie a 6 out of a 10 at best
It’s weird how mixed the reviews are

there are literally a dozen or or so 100/100 reviews from major critics and there are a bunch like you say in the 60/100 range then also at least half dozen plus with like 20-30/100 lmfao

anyone here braved a screening?

edit: saw @Complex review after posting

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Babylon

It's a mess, an entertaining mess, but still a mess. They must have been on shrooms thinking of this.

It's over 3 hours, and it's so unnecessary, but it doesn't quite seem three hours until the end. The last five minutes is a waste

It's a love letter to Hollywood, and it looks like an everything you can put in a movie thrown into it. Its so much shock, you're no longer shocked.

The black character, I don't know why he's even in it. Toby McGuire, I don't know why he's in it, but damn it, it was entertaining.

Margot Robbie is a dope and underrated actress if that's possible. Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt at this point.

I don't think I've ever been as entertained by a movie I didn't like.

Haha. Word! That makes sense of all the reviews I’ve skimmed to avoid spoilers haha. Good look!

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Haha. Word! That makes sense of all the reviews I’ve skimmed to avoid spoilers haha. Good look!

Wildly, I watched as last movie of the year a flick that had critics just as split as Babylon in ‘91’s The Fisher King from Terry Gilliam. With Roger Ebert dropping a straight 50/100 - which I think is probably MOST fully relatable to my own take on this one. That’s the score when I’m not sure if I’m glad I saw it or not lol. No. I’m definitely glad I finally caught it. Terry Gilliam flicks are KNOWN to be a mixed fuckin bag

thanks for a great 2022 Brothers

Cheers and here’s again to ‘23!!!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked out Bullet Train with my dad and bro on Friday. We needed something to watch while getting a visit in and having pizza.

Overall we liked it. Definitely not a boring / dull movie. It gets going pretty quickly, as expected.

Fave characters were "Lemon" and "Tangerine" ... though a number of other characters are seemingly under-utilized. Or show up late in the movie & you don't really care about them.

The fight / action sequences were plenty of fun though. Over the top.

Bullet Train is a 2022 American action comedy film starring Brad Pitt as a carrier who must battle fellow killers while riding a bullet train. The film is directed by David Leitch from a screenplay by Zak Olkewicz, starring Brad Pitt, and produced by Antoine Fuqua, who initially conceived the film. It is based on the 2010 novel Maria Beetle (titled Bullet Train in its UK and US edition), written by Kōtarō Isaka and translated by Sam Malissa, the second novel in Isaka's Hitman trilogy, of which the first novel was previously adapted as the 2015 Japanese film Grasshopper. The film also features an ensemble supporting cast including Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Brian Tyree Henry, Andrew Koji, Hiroyuki Sanada, Michael Shannon, Bad Bunny, and Sandra Bullock.

Principal photography began in Los Angeles in November 2020 and wrapped in March 2021. Bullet Train premiered in Paris on July 18, 2022, and was theatrically released in the United States on August 5, 2022, by Sony Pictures Releasing. The film received mixed reviews from critics and grossed $239 million worldwide on a production budget of around $90 million.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Finally got around to Emily the Criminal yesterday. Had been meaning to watch it in recent months. Enjoyed it, as expected.

Been a fan of Aubrey Plaza's for years, and I enjoy watching her non-verbal acting, expressions, etc.

I think what I appreciated the most about the movie is that it made sense and was straight-forward. Too many movies and TV series in recent years get overly complicated. Like they're trying to do too much and in turn extend your suspension of disbelief. The plot / storyline here was more believable and it was interesting to see it play out. Didn't run too long either (just over 90 mins). That's another thing too ... it didn't wear out its welcome. I liked seeing her call things out for what they were too. Refreshingly honest. Especially the 2nd interview scene (I think we all would like to react like that in a similar setting - instead of just fake "playing nice").

Emily the Criminal is a 2022 American crime thriller film written and directed by John Patton Ford in his feature film debut. It stars Aubrey Plaza, Theo Rossi, Megalyn Echikunwoke, and Gina Gershon. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2022, and was released in the United States on August 12, 2022, by Vertical Entertainment and Roadside Attractions. It received generally positive reviews from critics for its social commentary and Plaza's performance

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
didnt feel the original, not feeling this one either. plot for the first one was a kevin costner flick and i couldnt feel any emotions towards any of the characters.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BEST MOVIES OF 2022

Top Gun Maverick
The Banshees of Inisherin
Prey
THE BATMAN
The Menu
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Causeway
Barbarian
CARTER
THE BLACK PHONE

WORST MOVIES OF 2022

Red Notice

Firestarter

Morbius

Moonfall

The Man from Toronto

Deep Water

Halloween Ends

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Checked out Bullet Train with my dad and bro on Friday. We needed something to watch while getting a visit in and having pizza.

Overall we liked it. Definitely not a boring / dull movie. It gets going pretty quickly, as expected.

Fave characters were "Lemon" and "Tangerine" ... though a number of other characters are seemingly under-utilized. Or show up late in the movie & you don't really care about them.

The fight / action sequences were plenty of fun though. Over the top.

Bullet Train is a 2022 American action comedy film starring Brad Pitt as a carrier who must battle fellow killers while riding a bullet train. The film is directed by David Leitch from a screenplay by Zak Olkewicz, starring Brad Pitt, and produced by Antoine Fuqua, who initially conceived the film. It is based on the 2010 novel Maria Beetle (titled Bullet Train in its UK and US edition), written by Kōtarō Isaka and translated by Sam Malissa, the second novel in Isaka's Hitman trilogy, of which the first novel was previously adapted as the 2015 Japanese film Grasshopper. The film also features an ensemble supporting cast including Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Brian Tyree Henry, Andrew Koji, Hiroyuki Sanada, Michael Shannon, Bad Bunny, and Sandra Bullock.

Principal photography began in Los Angeles in November 2020 and wrapped in March 2021. Bullet Train premiered in Paris on July 18, 2022, and was theatrically released in the United States on August 5, 2022, by Sony Pictures Releasing. The film received mixed reviews from critics and grossed $239 million worldwide on a production budget of around $90 million.

Is it good? How good can a movie be if it went to Netflix so quickly

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Damn. I thought this would do numbers and it's at 1.4 billion already. Now they about to be in profit already. The shit is actually going up instead of dropping the 3rd weekend. Word of mouth is a mofo. So is giving audiences what they want. :eek:

Still ain't seen the first one or this. I just can't do 3 hours in a theater. Jesus.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Sweet justice(Tubi)

Saw this movie Saturday night. And I thought it ws a decent movie. Its an indepenent film, so the acting was as usual. Not that good, but the story was good enough. To keep you entertained. I would recommend this movie.

Sister of Wrath(Tubi)

Saw this movie Saturday also. This is a revenge/action/comedy film. Let me tell you this a wild ass film. No dude gay acts, but some characters were acting either suspect or flamming. But other than that, theres gun toting nuns, lesbians, and exaggerated blood splatter.

I thought this was a fun movie to watch. To me this came off as a modern grindhouse film. I would definately recommend this movie.

Gye78

International
International Member
How are your eyes after watching this movie. I kid you not, the shaky cam style of filming gave me eye strain. Almost every action shot was shaky cam where you literally can't tell what is happening from scene to scene which made the movie unwatchable.

Don't get me started on the drone footage either:smh:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched Jerry & Marge Go Large yesterday.

It's a smaller scale, small town feel movie ... has a bit of a made for TV feel about it (released on Paramount+) ... some amusing moments are brought by Larry Wilmore and Rainn Wilson in their respective roles.

Married couple Jerry and Marge Selbee live in Evart, Michigan. Jerry retires after working forty-two years as a production line manager. One day, Jerry figures out a loophole to repeatedly win the WinFall lottery in Michigan, and then in Massachusetts. By purchasing a substantial amount, he wins more than he started with. Jerry and Marge decide to use the prize money to revitalize Evart.

The film is based on a true story.[3]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The 2023 films we're are most excited about

6000.jpg

Killers of the Flower Moon

. Sending Martin Scorsese and his first-rate artisans to the Great Plains with $200m to recreate the bloody boomtowns of early 1920s Oklahoma is a tantalizing prospect on its own. But in David Grann’s book about the murders of Osage people made rich on the oil deposits beneath their tribal land, Scorsese has the perfect narrative backbone for a uniquely American story of greed, violence and white supremacy. Add to that his first film with both Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro, his leading men in different eras of his career, and supporting players that include Jesse Plemons, Brendan Fraser and Lily Gladstone, and there’s just no better reason to burn through Apple’s money. (Giving Scorsese all the cash he wants to make movies should be a federal requirement for streaming platforms.)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Avatar 2 overtakes Furious 7 as 10th highest-grossing movie of all time

There are now two Avatar movies among the 10 highest-grossers of all time.

By Nick RomanoJanuary 05, 2023 at 03:06 PM EST

Avatar: The Way of Water is quickly approaching the record held by its predecessor.
The sequel to 2009's Avatar has passed both Top Gun: Maverick and Furious 7 to become the 10th highest-grossing movie of all time worldwide after playing for 20 days in North American theaters and 22 days in international locations.
Furious 7 was the previous 10th spot holder with a lifetime gross of $1.515 billion since its release in 2015. The Top Gun sequel was just behind that with $1.489 since its debut earlier this year. Avatar: The Way of Water has now accumulated $1.516 billion globally, which includes $33.8 million worldwide from Wednesday showings this week, as reported by Disney.

The studio projects the movie will soon surpass 2012's The Avengers, with its lifetime global gross of $1.521 billion, by the end of Thursday to become the ninth highest-grossing film.

James Cameron's 'Avatar: The Way of Water' has surpassed 'Furious 7' to become the 10th highest-grossing movie of all time.

| CREDIT: 20TH CENTURY STUDIOS; EVERETT COLLECTION
This also means that Avatar movies now comprise two of the 10 top-grossing movie titles in history. The first Avatar, which has benefited from multiple rereleases in theaters over the years, still maintains the No. 1 spot.
Directed again by James Cameron, a proven box-office hit-maker, Avatar: The Way of Water picks up years after the events of the previous film. The Sullys, including the biological and adopted children of Jake (Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Saldaña), have fled their home in the forests of Pandora as they are being hunted by the RDA and Col. Quaritch (Stephen Lang), who returns in a brand-new Na'vi body. The family takes refuge with the Metkayina, a tribe of Na'vi who've adapted to ocean living.

As it stands, the sequel is the No. 1 global movie release of 2022 and the No. 2 domestic release of the past year, behind Top Gun: Maverick.
Four Avatar sequels, including The Way of Water, have been scheduled for Disney's theatrical release calendar through 2028, but Cameron shared his more realistic viewpoint on the future of the franchise. The filmmaker previously confirmed to EW that the third film was shot simultaneously with the second, as was the first act of Avatar 4. But the success of The Way of Water would determine whether the fourth and fifth installments would ever be completed.
At this rate, we can confidentially predict we'll see a lot more Na'vi in the future.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
M3GAN

Mild Menace

PRAISE: I have to applaud Blumhouse Studios for breathing new life into the Angry Android/Doll genre.
In M3GAN Gemma becomes the unexpected caretaker of her 8-year-old niece, she decides to give the girl an M3GAN prototype a marvel of artificial intelligence, a lifelike doll a decision that leads to unimaginable consequences.
Part of the fun of this movie is how charming and fun M3GAN is at the outset . The film is also very creative and effective bringing back memories of automated toys of the past. I actually understood the plight of Gemma( Allison Williams)as she suddenly becomes the guardian of her niece Cady (Violet Mcgraw) she is a person that has been flying solo her whole life......but she does make terrible decisions. As M3GAN becomes more self aware the movie really gets going and I didn't know what she was going to say or do as she has sworn to protect Cady. Watching the movie I definitely couldn't help but think about movies like Deadly Friend and Chucky and TV shows like Small Wonder and The Bionic Woman. Cady was almost surprisingly more of a menace than M3GAN !! Hats off to all of the actresses who brought M3GAN to life.

PROBLEMS: When a certain "character" is introduced it opened a predictable door. M3GAN's programming is explained a few times but I still felt there was a huge leap to her becoming homicidal.If they had written in just one thing it would have been more believable. It was beyond obvious where the film was edited to keep its PG-13 rating with quick cut aways from gore and edited murders.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend