Marvel woke up today and said......let me remind y'all who the fuck we are!!

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
7xkorh5fd6i91.jpg

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not as evolved as you may think but they were loosely based on both Malcolm and Martin
They were based on the Doom Patrol. Comic books weren't that deep in 1963 and Magneto was a straight up villain prior to God Loves. Man Kills. So what does that say about Stan Lee's interpretation of Malcolm X if Magneto is based on him?

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Apparently they were based on Israeli leaders David Ben-Gurion and Menachem Begin. Either way the way their relationship developed is most analogous to Martin and Malcolm by American standards.

That said, they really just started off as your typical hero-villain dichotomy and the other stuff came later.
So I guess that would make Cyclops Jesse Jackson and Wolverine who Al Sharpton?

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For the record I agreed with you.

What I wrote was according to Chris Claremont's statement on what he based Magneto's backstory on.
We know he didn't base it on Malcolm X and Martin Luther King. Giant sized X-men came out in 1975 right around the time when Black Panther took on the KKK and "Man-Ape in "Jungle Action" comics. "Jungle Action comics" I'm going to let that marinate for awhile. Man-ape!!!

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
We know he didn't base it on Malcolm X and Martin Luther King. Giant sized X-men came out in 1975 right around the time when Black Panther took on the KKK and "Man-Ape in "Jungle Action" comics. "Jungle Action comics" I'm going to let that marinate for awhile. Man-ape!!!
You're not telling me anything I don't already know, b. I mentioned Giant-Size X-Men earlier in this thread in another context. Magneto, of course, predates GSXM and Claremont; as I agreed with you earlier neither character was based on Martin and Malcolm.

That doesn't mean later writers didn't move things into that direction.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You can tell a bitch wrote this show. The thinking is that men don't have to control our emotions primarily our anger. Many men have said that a man must be in control because a man has the power to take a life. And as far as the Hulk/Bruce Banner dude had a fucked up childhood which trumps that bullshit she's talking.