MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Podcast bro? What’s the list mayne?

clearly TOP GUN

I’m sure mfers have EVERYTHING… ALL AT ONCE in there somewhere

‘Preciate if someone is down to list the flicks- and don’t have to be just from this podcast.
Probably slackin and y’all already got some links on this type best of year so far list shit

love y’all tho. Props to us keeping this thread poppin REAL relevant for pushing decadeS mow

Thanks. Yes it has been a fun ongoing thread.

Sorry I don’t have the list handy, but listened to the show the other day. They had a number of staff member guests come on. I recommend The Big Picture podcast. The host Sean is a long-time movie buff and watches tons of movies each year. He’s a good interviewer with actors and directors too. He doesn’t butt in and will ask a question and let them carry the conversation with their replies. It’s refreshing because so many interviewers tend to over talk their guests. His cohost is not as much a movie buff, so her banter with him can be a fun listen.

Yes, Everything Everywhere was on the list. What a movie. Watched it last month. What a wildly creative ride.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Princess

No Pushover Princess

PRAISE: This story about a strong-willed princess refusing to wed a cruel sociopath, was a quick, fun romp. It immediately brought back memories of movies like Brave and Kill Bill.
Joey King gives it her all and i praise her for all of the time and effort she put into this.She gets great support from the rest of the cast including Dominic Cooper, Olga Kurylenko(so great to see her in a role she could really shine in again), and Veronica Ngo.
The action sequences and sword play were outstanding.There are some great humorous moments .The dwelling violence may be to much for some but I enjoyed it.

PROBLEMS: I was kind of disappointed in how one note,repetitive and stationary the movie is. I guess I was thinking the movie would have a larger scale.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

robfmnola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Probably my favorites so far

RRR
The Outfit
Top Gun
Spiderman No Way Home
Black Phone

Worst
Morbius

Most surprosing
Ambulance
Haven't had a chance to see The outfit yet but everything else is on point. Will peep The Outfit soon. RRR was pretty damn good. I never could get into bollywood song and dance throughout their movies but these mf's had some good shit.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Haven't had a chance to see The outfit yet but everything else is on point. Will peep The Outfit soon. RRR was pretty damn good. I never could get into bollywood song and dance throughout their movies but these mf's had some good shit.
RRR was a wild ride, those dance scenes were long and energetic

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Vamps

5.5/10

I recently watched this on tubi

It stars Krysten Ritter and Alicia Silverstone.

If you want to see Krysten do something other than mopey depressing roles, this will hold your interest. You also see her in hot slutty outfits.

There is a scene where she darkens her skin with spray paint and she looks like a bi-racial black chick. There’s no nudity and nothing for sex. Just a movie to watch if you are Thirsty for these two.

Synopsis
Bloodsucking party girls (Alicia Silverstone, Krysten Ritter) find their destinies at stake when one falls for the son of a vampire hunter and the other encounters a long-ago love.
MV5BMTg0ODkwMzI0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDc4OTc2OA@@._V1_.jpg

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
RRR was a wild ride, those dance scenes were long and energetic

I didn't even mind them at 3am, even watched the end credit one.

I regret not seeing it at the movies actually. I saw it, and wondered what it was. Looked up some reviews, and they were Indian reviewers.

Even checked the seating, and the joint was empty, because I thought if it was something I was missing it would have people in it.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thor : Love and Thunder

Laughs,Loss and Love

PRAISE: In this fourth Thor adventure Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced -- a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods.
This movie brims with comedy and actually reminded me of Flash Gordon which is a good and bad thing. I thought the entire cast did a good job for the most part including: Chris Hemsworth; Christian Bale; Tessa Thompson; Jaimie Alexander; Taika Waititi; Russell Crowe and Natalie Portman.
Once again I understood the plight of the villain and actually Gorr the God Butchers backstory playing out helped with the aforementioned.
When the movie focuses on Love and loss and the possibility of experiencing it or fighting it,the film really does a fine job of displaying it.
The SFX and CGI was really stunning. The way they used the mix of color and black and white was great.
Some of the running gags really worked and actually avoided becoming annoying. Oh and the imagery used for a couple of characters I have only seen in comics until now was pretty brilliant.

PROBLEMS: Some of the campiness and jokes in some scenes went on a bit too long.It waters down some of the more serious story threads in the movie at times. I found myself begging the movie to leave this scene and place and pick up the pace.I keep hearing a lot was cut from the movie so that may have altered how much better the movie could have been

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Laughs,Loss and Love

PRAISE: In this fourth Thor adventure Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced -- a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods.
This movie brims with comedy and actually reminded me of Flash Gordon which is a good and bad thing. I thought the entire cast did a good job for the most part including: Chris Hemsworth; Christian Bale; Tessa Thompson; Jaimie Alexander; Taika Waititi; Russell Crowe and Natalie Portman.
Once again I understood the plight of the villain and actually Gorr the God Butchers backstory playing out helped with the aforementioned.
When the movie focuses on Love and loss and the possibility of experiencing it or fighting it,the film really does a fine job of displaying it.
The SFX and CGI was really stunning. The way they used the mix of color and black and white was great.
Some of the running gags really worked and actually avoided becoming annoying. Oh and the imagery used for a couple of characters I have only seen in comics until now was pretty brilliant.

PROBLEMS: Some of the campiness and jokes in some scenes went on a bit too long.It waters down some of the more serious story threads in the movie at times. I found myself begging the movie to leave this scene and place and pick up the pace.I keep hearing a lot was cut from the movie so that may have altered how much better the movie could have been

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Thanks for the review, JBlaze.

Just listened to the Pop Culture Happy Hour review for it earlier this AM on the morning commute ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

Laughs,Loss and Love

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

I liked it, didn't love it. It was easily behind Ragnorok for me.

and actually thought the movie could have been longer to explain Gorr and given us the Jane Foster Thor scene, instead of having it off camera. This seemed like the shortest Marvel I've seen, at least in a long time.

Instead of the pointless play scene, you just used for the stars involved :smh:

The comedy was just too much at times.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just finished THE OUTFIT

solid af

hard to imagine anybody not enjoying the way that one unfolds

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Metropolis

8/10

This is a classic Sci-Fi movie. It was way ahead of its time when it came out.

The film is full of social and political references that applies today with what is going on in this country.

This is one of the movies that influenced George Lucas for Star Wars. The robot you can see looks like C-3PO.

You can also see the city scenes and how they look like Coruscant.

You can see it free on tubi, Pluto TV and Plex.

Synopsis

This influential German science-fiction film presents a highly stylized futuristic city where a beautiful and cultured utopia exists above a bleak underworld populated by mistreated workers. When the privileged youth Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) discovers the grim scene under the city, he becomes intent on helping the workers. He befriends the rebellious teacher Maria (Brigitte Helm), but this puts him at odds with his authoritative father, leading to greater conflict.

Metropolis1.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
NOPE

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

For the most part.....YEP

PRAISE: Jordan Peeles latest tale of horror about Caretakers at a California horse ranch encountering a mysterious force that affects human and animal behaviour relies on an effective blend of what's not seen but heard. He wisely uses the unseen in key scenes that work because he has already built anticipation and suspense in the minds of the audience ,thus throwing us off in a great way that gets nervous laughs and tension from the audience. His use of music is also effective from familiar songs and thunderous scores.The humor blends in well with the more dramatic threads in the movie. His visuals are also stunning and haunting bringing back memories of movies like The Amityville Horror, The Excorsist and Akira. The film gets to a point in which it completely relies on the cast so thankfully the cast : Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood ; Keke Palmer as Emerald "Em" Haywood ; Steven Yeun as Ricky "Jupe" Park ; Brandon Perea as Angel Torres and Michael Wincott as Antlers Holst enough charm and enthusiasm to do so.Peele also blends in a haunting and horrific side story that is very effective. Great nods to black cowboys and classic filmaking

PROBLEMS: Once there is a reveal and I figured out what was going on the film started losing some if it's luster. It felt like I was just going through the motions to see how it would all end when I should have been at the edge of my seat. The fact that there are a couple of misteps in the last 30 minutes didn't help any. But as I said before I'm thankful for the extremely talented cast.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Metropolis

8/10

The film is full of social and political references that applies today with what is going on in this country.

This is one of the movies that influenced George Lucas for Star Wars. The robot you can see looks like C-3PO.

Synopsis

This influential German science-fiction film presents a highly stylized futuristic city where a beautiful and cultured utopia exists above a bleak underworld populated by mistreated workers. When the privileged youth Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) discovers the grim scene under the city, he becomes intent on helping the workers. He befriends the rebellious teacher Maria (Brigitte Helm), but this puts him at odds with his authoritative father, leading to greater conflict.

Metropolis1.jpg

The throwback movie ... from nearly 100 years ago!

:cheers: :thumbsup:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Metropolis

8/10

Synopsis

Metropolis1.jpg

Maria Mariyaaaaa lol :mike::guitar03:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
NOPE

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

For the most part.....YEP

PRAISE: Jordan Peeles latest tale of horror about Caretakers at a California horse ranch encountering a mysterious force that affects human and animal behaviour relies on an effective blend of what's not seen but heard. He wisely uses the unseen in key scenes that work because he has already built anticipation and suspense in the minds of the audience ,thus throwing us off in a great way that gets nervous laughs and tension from the audience. His use of music is also effective from familiar songs and thunderous scores.The humor blends in well with the more dramatic threads in the movie. His visuals are also stunning and haunting bringing back memories of movies like The Amityville Horror, The Excorsist and Akira. The film gets to a point in which it completely relies on the cast so thankfully the cast : Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood ; Keke Palmer as Emerald "Em" Haywood ; Steven Yeun as Ricky "Jupe" Park ; Brandon Perea as Angel Torres and Michael Wincott as Antlers Holst enough charm and enthusiasm to do so.Peele also blends in a haunting and horrific side story that is very effective. Great nods to black cowboys and classic filmaking

PROBLEMS: Once there is a reveal and I figured out what was going on the film started losing some if it's luster. It felt like I was just going through the motions to see how it would all end when I should have been at the edge of my seat. The fact that there are a couple of misteps in the last 30 minutes didn't help any. But as I said before I'm thankful for the extremely talented cast.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

i thank you again for your consistency always with all in reviews Fam

caught SETH MEYERS w/JP and main 3 cast Thrs night and while the 3/5 homework films JP gave the brown kid to watch stuck with me — Close Encounters of Third Kind, Jaws and No Country For Old Men — I had to go back to remember the other two both of which I only remember initially thinking were a little more obvious along the same lines of Close Encounters when I first heard them. Other two are — 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien

for other cats who have seen the flick now, I think if you have also seen these — only one I have NOT ever seen in full is Close Encounters — they all make pretty clear and straightforward sense in a lot of both visual and atmospheric even story point and beyond ways as reference points.

Anybody want to thumbs up thumbs down ya boy on expectations for Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Since I feel like I better go ahead and finally see the whole damn thing for myself now…

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

This is one of my all time favorite films (books too) and I couldn’t be happier with the A/V presentation of this 4K UHD which came out at 50% off via Barnes & Noble (and mostly Amazon too) semi-annual (July and November all month — Criterion Collection sale. Arrow Video titles like Shaw Brothers and 12 Monkeys, American Werewolf in London typically also go on sale for most of these two months of July/Nov but for 2-3 weeks Vs entire month like CC titles).

anyhow. This flick is 10/10 for myself. And so while you got about 10 or so days left at $25 Vs up to retail $50 — wanted to drop the facts

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

This is one of my all time favorite films (books too) and I couldn’t be happier with the A/V presentation of this 4K UHD which came out at 50% off via Barnes & Noble (and mostly Amazon too) semi-annual (July and November all month — Criterion Collection sale. Arrow Video titles like Shaw Brothers and 12 Monkeys, American Werewolf in London typically also go on sale for most of these two months of July/Nov but for 2-3 weeks Vs entire month like CC titles).

anyhow. This flick is 10/10 for myself. And so while you got about 10 or so days left at $25 Vs up to retail $50 — wanted to drop the facts
I also picked up the CC 4K release of SHAFT (original Dir. Gordon Parks Starring Richard Roundtree and several others)

they drop BUCK AND THE PREACHER dir. Sidney Poitier next month - so it’s not included in sale
And just announced EVE’S BAYOU dir. Kasi Lemmons for October release though neither of these will be in UHD the Blu-rays are big restorations and should be “must see”

be grabbing both at 1/2off come November

Oh Mississippi Masala was also new Blu-ray release I got at half off but there are plenty worth mentioning if you’re not up on Criterion and what they and other boutique Blu-ray/DVD home video releasing companies drop.

The BFI Paris Blues drop above, as well as the Frtiz Lang review got me thinking of y’all in these regards so hope you enjoy

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Gray Man

Well when I'm wrong I'm wrong......

PRAISE:.....meaning I went around saying oh I'm glad this won't be another Netflix action/comedy but I will get back to that a bit later.
I actually enjoyed the action sequences, laughed at how outrageous things become and of course the dedicated performances of Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans in this movie about the CIA's top asset -- his identity known to no one -- uncovering agency secrets, doing so he triggers a global hunt by assassins set loose by his ex colleague. The directing team of the Russo Brothers offer up enough well choreographed action sequences and fight scenes to keep me watching. Evans is having the best time chewing up the scenery,while Gosling is a bit more subdued he too provides one liners with a smirk throughout the film.Its fun watching them both spit one liners at each other and I got a Mad magazine Spy VS Spy vibe from the both of them.

PROBLEMS: This flick may not be as silly as previous action comedies released this year but it never takes itself to seriously but when it attempts to enter serious territory it comes off as forced,uneven and laughable. Within its first ten minutes it starts to borrow from various well known action movies big time!! I'm talking about word for word from a well known action movie. I guess the directors and writers thought one of the action sequences in the flick was so cool they had to do it twice !! Nothing is really original here especially if you have watched movies like Mission Impossible, Assassins or any of the James Bond films. It's funny how even a couple of the characters start yelling about how things don't make sense or add up in a few of the story threads.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched both the Top Gun movies this past weekend. The original on Saturday, and the new one on Sunday evening.

I had never seen the original movie, simply because it was one of those movies I already knew plenty about. The pop culture references over the years, the interviews, music soundtrack & seeing clips on Youtube. Plus, I was only 6yo when the original was released. Saved it on the DVR last year knowing I would be seeing the new one this year.

Watched the current one on the big screen.

Enjoyed both.

The original is a fun watch, and the sequel is basically about as good as you can do a sequel nearly 40 years later. The camera work and amount of footage they took and condensed down to just over 2 hours. The nostalgia and callbacks / references were done well, and not over the top. Job well done by everyone. That's how you do a big screen popcorn movie.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
This one has flop written all over it. But, hopefully with a hundred million there at least had some decent CGI

Another bit of good news, it won't have that ugly clueless bitch in it

I think I overshot the 100M budget by about 99.99999 million on my initial guesstimate.

I won't be watching SHARKULA.

:roflmao3: :frozen:

But I certainly dloaded THE REEF STALKED ... it looks alright. If it turns out to be terrible, I will do the usual 5 minute watch in fast-forward.

Lol @ the Alicia Silverstone diss on her shark movie months ago.