TV Discussion: New series by Donald Glover - Atlanta UPDATE: FINAL 4th Season Sept 2022!

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I wouldn't care as long as they make it make sense.
I just don't want the episodes to be as random as they seem to be now.
They won’t make the kind of sense - story sense like this you’re talking about. Shit won’t have any direct connection to the main storyline or characters where it all forms like Voltron. The first episode was set up like it’s likely a dream Earn was having… he hopes. Reparations for me makes thematic sense stuck in between 2/3 and 5/6 - I’m not fully sure how Trini fits but it too feels relevant as a White Fashion//New Jazz story/thematic bridge - especially with Al’s mom apparently being named Lorraine.

I still think of ATLANTA as EARN’S SHOW. Meaning. He remains the lead/main character and whose journey/arc we are following. Dude leveled up. Grew. Al basically hit him with the - “nigga, if you can’t get your balls to drop… wtf else can I do for ALL of us but to drop YOU?”

Negotiated his masters - check
Johnny on the spot with every fuckin thing on tour lol - check lol

I love that season 2 opened up to the other characters and obviously 3 is opening up to shit the fuckin WORLD. Literally.
while they in the twilight zone that is TRUE WHITE WORLD - Europe
We get these flash backs snapshots of how shit is same as it ever was in the states

these last two will be great

love the discussion

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Liam Neeson was telling a story about some shit he thought about 30 years ago as a lesson about how senseless racism was and that dude damn near got canceled for it. And that was real shit when he said "I can't stand the lot of you...you tried to ruin my career!" (mind you over some shit that kinda didn't happen 30 years ago)

I felt like the cancel crowd totally missed the point of what he was trying to get across at that time. The part where he said "the best and worst part about being white is you don't have to learn any lessons" was him settling back into his privilege.

Last edited:

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Liam Neeson was telling a story about some shit he thought about 30 years ago as a lesson about how senseless racism was and that dude damn near got canceled for it. And that was real shit when he said "I can't stand the lot of you...you tried to ruin my career!" (mind you over some shit that kinda didn't happen 30 years ago)

I felt like the cancel crowd totally missed the point of what he was trying to get across at that time. The part where he said "the best and worst part about being white is you don't have to learn any lessons" was him settling back into his privilege.

I'm shocked this was even said but glad it was spoken

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
give him a chance to confront cancel culture and show how it sometimes misses the mark and doesn't make things better.

I know but that still don't mean he would do it...

For DONALD.

Cause that worked just as well as Kramer on curbed

And it is not am easy feat to stick that landing

It was a tricky balance of apology humble self awareness truth and funny

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

This was an outstanding breakdown bro.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

To be fair he fumbled the delivery in the moment and for him to think just telling that story was gonna endear him somehow was naive and again privileged.

But I think at the time the honesty and vulnerability and self reflection was lost.

Again he fumbled it but it was good.

It exposed a whole lot of stuff YET AGAIN AD NAUSEUM that black men have to deal with just trying to survive

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In the Trini 2 the Bone episode.
Sylvia raised the white kid but didn't raise her own.
That was missed cause yall focused on the white family.
Which is the whole point. The real story is the black family that was neglected and the trauma they feel.
That is why that pain was shown as anger at the funeral and there was a fight.

We so damn angry because we feel unloved.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Again, its not that I don't LIKE them. I actually do. I just believe they belong in their own place, like in some sort of a spinoff.
Granted, I haven't consciously tried to connect the dots between the odd episodes and the main story. There may be a thread there, but unless there is a final episode that connects them all, I find them distracting.
Now if I were writing this, I would have Paperboy do a benefit concert for disenfranchised kids, have the kid from the episode with the suicide dykes be one of the featured beneficiary kids, have the Trini 2 d bone white kid (Bash?) be in attendance because he is a Paperboy fan and have the dad from the reparations episode be part of the wait staff for the catering of the event. Maybe he has to take his daughter along because he has visitation rights for that day but can't fford to miss work?
Somehow, his daughter, Loquarius and Bash go on a little side adventure at the show. Maybe they witness somebody getting jacked in the parking lot and they end up trying to hide from the assailant at the show? They all end up meeting Earnest, who gets the assailant arrested? I don't know. I'm coming off the top of the dome, but the point is the same: unless there is a link or a path that leads to the main storyline, regardless of how well done they are, they don't seem to belong.
Maybe they never show the assailant's face until the end and it turns out to be Sox?
I wouldn't care as long as they make it make sense.
I just don't want the episodes to be as random as they seem to be now.

the Neeson cameo (which I’ll get back to; again - great discussion here) combined with next week title - Rich Wigga Poor Wigga - actually gives some indication that you may get more of a callback/wraparound than I was initially thinking as it relates to Socks/Sox and maybe something or other from the standalone/bottle episodes

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Which is the whole point. The real story is the black family that was neglected and the trauma they feel.

Nah. She raised her kids well. That WAS made clear.

What mother/father doesn’t have to provide? MANY kids whose parents are teachers or deal regularly with supporting other kids for their living have at some point had conflicted feelings about this shit.
That was 1 out of 3 siblings right? Airing out…

The other two were 100% that sis was grieving and talking her personal bs - it’s often either the eldest or youngest child who feels slighted for whatever reasons in any and every family. Or the girls vs boys etc.

For me the most insightful part of that episode is Hanks character goin “World Star!!”

the point there being you can help raise em up give em the intimacy and they may feel indebted to you they may even feel more loved by you than their own kin they may live their lives in a way they feel compelled to honor and respect you but you can’t take a snake out the garden. That venom in the veins WILL come out. Because ultimately the garden itself is the poison that flows. Stay the fuck out of striking distance my niggas.

can this psa get an assist with that JUICE IN THE HOOD “message!” gif?:lol:

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No. She didn't. She didn't. The daughter Princess made that clear.

Wow. Wow. BGOL niggas man.

Nah. She raised her kids well. That WAS made clear.

What mother/father doesn’t have to provide? MANY kids whose parents are teachers or deal regularly with supporting other kids for their living have at some point had conflicted feelings about this shit.
That was 1 out of 3 siblings right? Airing out…

The other two were 100% that sis was grieving and talking her personal bs - it’s often either the eldest or youngest child who feels slighted for whatever reasons in any and every family. Or the girls vs boys etc.

For me the most insightful part of that episode is Hanks character goin “World Star!!”

the point there being you can help raise em up give em the intimacy and they may feel indebted to you they may even feel more loved by you than their own kin they may live their lives in a way they feel compelled to honor and respect you but you can’t take a snake out the garden. That venom in the veins WILL come out. Because ultimately the garden itself is the poison that flows. Stay the fuck out of striking distance my niggas.

can this psa get an assist with that JUICE IN THE HOOD “message!” gif?:lol:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
To be fair he fumbled the delivery in the moment and for him to think just telling that story was gonna endear him somehow was naive and again privileged.

But I think at the time the honesty and vulnerability and self reflection was lost.

It exposed a whole lot of stuff YET AGAIN AD NAUSEUM that black men have to deal with just trying to survive

actually @playahaitian you kinda highlight my point right here - IRL when the real Liam Neesons shared what he shared about himself in younger days, it seemed to me he was talking about the “poisoned garden” ie racism being the water everyone is swimming in.

where I differ from you in my read is the aspect of any intent to *endear*

his point had nothing to do with black folks except that he is now becoming aware of how as you say - “stuff YET AGAIN AD NAUSEAM that black men have to deal with just trying to survive”. Dude was speaking to white folks. Who raised him (and everybody like him) to believe he (and they all) had certain rights and supremacy over niggas.

the flip in ATLANTA with his character clears up his intent and the takeaway - I did what I could and you mfers tried to bite ME. so now my name is Paul and this shit is between y’all. Cancel me… sheeit, nigga… don’t get caught up here Paper Boi they’ll cancel yo ass too

you realize Al TOOK his “new jazz” seat at the Cancel Club right?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
actually @playahaitian you kinda highlight my point right here - IRL when the real Liam Neesons shared what he shared about himself in younger days, it seemed to me he was talking about the “poisoned garden” ie racism being the water everyone is swimming in.

where I differ from you in my read is the aspect of any intent to *endear*

his point had nothing to do with black folks except that he is now becoming aware of how as you say - “stuff YET AGAIN AD NAUSEAM that black men have to deal with just trying to survive”. Dude was speaking to white folks. Who raised him (and everybody like him) to believe he (and they all) had certain rights and supremacy over niggas.

the flip in ATLANTA with his character clears up his intent and the takeaway - I did what I could and you mfers tried to bite ME. so now my name is Paul and this shit is between y’all. Cancel me… sheeit, nigga… don’t get caught up here Paper Boi they’ll cancel yo ass too

you realize Al TOOK his “new jazz” seat at the Cancel Club right?

I hear you and got that.

But he isn't new to this.

He realized who he is

how it will be received and could easily have sharpened that point

Because inadvertently? He made white folk FLIP IT and try to justify what he did without taking in what he REALLY was trying to say.

I don't give white folk the automatic benefit of the doubt they ALWAYS get.

He COULD have said it better and if he couldn't?

Shut up and keep it yourself

Cause black folk never get the benefit of the doubt

Even from our own

When we have the mic? We gonna speak perfectly.

Liam wanted a prize he wanted to be ally

So because he allegedly only speaking to white folk that absolves him of making his point right?

Cause all he had to say was something like...

And I understand how black men are always villianized and dehumanized.

We must do better.

He KNEW if he said anything to that effect white folk would have bugged out.

So then WHY even say sh*t if you ain't really gonna SAY something?

F*ck him hate us for real

apparently he already did, right?

He better recognize that his CANCEL?

Got him on the best black TV show of the generation...

Funny how that works right?

Last edited:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I hear you and got that.

But he isn't new to this.

He realized who he is

how it will be received and could easily have sharpened that point

Because inadvertently? He made white folk FLIP IT and try to justify what he did without taking in what he REALLY was trying to say.

I don't give white folk the automatic benefit of the doubt they ALWAYS get.

He COULD have said it better and if he couldn't?

Shut up and keep it yourself

Cause black folk never get the benefit of the doubt

Even from our own

When we have the mic? We gonna speak perfectly.

Liam wanted a prize he wanted to be ally

So because he allegedly only speaking to white folk that absolves him of making his point right?

Cause all he had to say was something like...

And I understand how black men are always villianized and dehumanized.

We must do better.

He KNEW if he said anything to that effect white folk would have bugged out.

So then WHY even say sh*t if you ain't really gonna SAY something?

F*ck him hate us for real apparentlyhe already did, right?

He better recognize that his CANCEL?

Got him on the best black TV show of the generation...

Funny how that works right?

that’s what up Bro!!

I should have kept my og post sayin “you kinda MADE my point” instead of changing to “highlight”

- a racist is a racist from the cradle to the grave

neesons has not changed. IRL. thats my opinion. Just like yours - which is BEAUTIFULLY and FULLY expressed here ESPECIALLY that tag you got at the end about “his cancel got him on the best black TV show of the generation… Funny how that works right?” :bravo::bravo::bravo:

Idgaf about that nigga. Never have. Never will. He been a pos. I remember one of if not the first flicks I saw him in as kid was ROB ROY. mf was CLEARLY a nigga hater. deep deep nigga hater. And as far as I recall - aint no niggas nowhere NEAR that movie

when the inbred hate is that tough…

Fuck that gon change?

nah.

but it DOES clarify that “white Liam Neeson” line now don’t it…

yep

if he already white - what that make you?

Mmhmm

where exactly your “gold” phone that “you NEED” at Bruh?

nah. If Al fuck up… that shit aint on Earn

that’s on Al

“Until then,” as a infamous white boy from
jersey once said to Ben Affleck - “keep your unit on you” lol

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Tent, the neglected black family was not missed by me. I believe you're in New York City also, so you probably are going to understand what I am about to say. About 10 years ago, me and my friend DJ are on 86th & Third Avenue. I noticed a young black female pushing a young black child in a stroller (it appeared to be her child). I pointed this out to DJ because usually I only see black women pushing white kids in strollers or walking with them. This has been the trend for years on the Upper East side and I am sure you will see the same on the Upper West side too.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My intent was not to disregard your point that this shit DOES happen.

My intent was to say IMO the episode made it clear that in this case the character Princess was trippin/speaking out of turn likely because of grief

It’s a whole lot of truths being touched on every moment of these episodes.

No. She didn't. She didn't. The daughter Princess made that clear.

Wow. Wow. BGOL niggas man.
Tent, the neglected black family was not missed by me. I believe you're in New York City also, so you probably are going to understand what I am about to say. About 10 years ago, me and my friend DJ are on 86th & Third Avenue. I noticed a young black female pushing a young black child in a stroller (it appeared to be her child). I pointed this out to DJ because usually I only see black women pushing white kids in strollers or walking with them. This has been the trend for years on the Upper East side and I am sure you will see the same on the Upper West side too.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

in what way did he fumble it?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
the Neeson cameo (which I’ll get back to; again - great discussion here) combined with next week title - Rich Wigga Poor Wigga - actually gives some indication that you may get more of a callback/wraparound than I was initially thinking as it relates to Socks/Sox and maybe something or other from the standalone/bottle episodes

Kaboom

My thoughts exactly

They didn't drop a nuclear bomb easter egg like that with Socks and not craft a huge payoff later on.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought that chick PaperBoi was running around with was going to turn out to be a tranny...in all I'm not really feeling this season, I preferred the ATLANTA episodes, this another country stuff to weird for me
Yeah this season is weak to me too. I preferred the Atlanta episodes as well, hell the show is called Atlanta so they should be in Atlanta. If this season is gonna continue to be like this then I'm not gonna be sad once the show is finish for good.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Yeah this season is weak to me too. I preferred the Atlanta episodes as well, hell the show is called Atlanta so they should be in Atlanta. If this season is gonna continue to be like this then I'm not gonna be sad once the show is finish for good.

It took about 3-4 years for them to even come with this season so I had really lost interest in watching the show anyway

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It took about 3-4 years for them to even come with this season so I had really lost interest in watching the show anyway
Yeah to me it seem like they lost their identity and just tried to throw something together when they should have just let it go when it was good and left it at a good note instead of coming up with crappy storylines like now.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought that chick PaperBoi was running around with was going to turn out to be a tranny...in all I'm not really feeling this season, I preferred the ATLANTA episodes, this another country stuff to weird for me

thats-a-man.gif