TV Discussion: New series by Donald Glover - Atlanta UPDATE: FINAL 4th Season Sept 2022!

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You might be looking too deep into it, however

You could be right
Haha. I was definitely feeling like I fell down the mfin white folks will kill you rabbit hole. Lol.

But. like you said - Then again - there’s A LOT of literary negroes in these writers rooms now days. And trust that if they don’t ALL know ELLISON etc backwards and forwards - they know how to find the right literary critics whose job is to live in those rabbit holes lol

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sylvia knew how to put the kid to bed, soothe him when he was anxious, changed his taste buds, kid was watching the proud family cartoon, knew Trini music.......

Parents had a damn stranger in their house and they thought it was Sylvia......it was their kid. And the pics of Sylvia with the kid, they kept being delivered, couldn't get rid of them......then to see it was her.....and their kid......

mayne I know a lot of folks don't like these "anthology" episodes that aren't tied to the core story/ characters..... but after rewatching them..... I like them all more. That reparations episode is still on my mind.....

wifey doesn't watch Atlanta but she's watching these one-offs with me and it's giving us something to talk about.
Great episode

See, they don't get it

but who are these types of episodes for??? a story of a black nanny who treated the white kids she worked for more like her children than her own kids?? How white privileged parents are cluesless about the most basic things when it come to family?? Same thing for the reparations episode..these episodes may be meaningful to nonblacks but to me their just filler.

I feel like episodes like that take the pressure off of coming up with stuff for the main characters mainly because between the pandemic and rising career prospects, those actors are busy with other projects so they all can only be there part time.

I would have liked to have seen the innerworkings of Paperboi's career...him in the studio or preparing for a concert in a more wonky way..(soundchecks, concert rider stuff personal to him etc) and considering Glover is a rapper and musician you would have thought he would have given a better peek at BTS inside baseball stuff like that. Allowing us to see a creator be creative! IS Paperboi a real artist or just a lucky bumblefuck? In the episode where his cellphone is stolen..maybe if we saw him working out that new song at some earlier point then the speech where he tells the kid that he found his voice again would resonate with us because we saw that happen, rather than just take his word for it. I get the character is purposefully left vague as a statement to the vapid-ness of pop music but to me that just leaves a hole that should be filled with something storywise.

But the other side episodes are just filler to me because I know this stuff already. :dunno::dunno:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
but who are these types of episodes for??? a story of a black nanny who treated the white kids she worked for more like her children than her own kids?? How white privileged parents are cluesless about the most basic things when it come to family?? Same thing for the reparations episode..these episodes may be meaningful to nonblacks but to me their just filler.

I feel like episodes like that take the pressure off of coming up with stuff for the main characters mainly because between the pandemic and rising career prospects, those actors are busy with other projects so they all can only be there part time.

I would have liked to have seen the innerworkings of Paperboi's career...him in the studio or preparing for a concert in a more wonky way..(soundchecks, concert rider stuff personal to him etc) and considering Glover is a rapper and musician you would have thought he would have given a better peek at BTS inside baseball stuff like that. Allowing us to see a creator be creative! IS Paperboi a real artist or just a lucky bumblefuck? In the episode where his cellphone is stolen..maybe if we saw him working out that new song at some earlier point then the speech where he tells the kid that he found his voice again would resonate with us because we saw that happen, rather than just take his word for it. I get the character is purposefully left vague as a statement to the vapid-ness of pop music but to me that just leaves a hole that should be filled with something storywise.

But the other side episodes are just filler to me because I know this stuff already. :dunno::dunno:

i said same thing after reparations episode. It’s clearly for the white ATLANTA audience. Trini ep LITERALLY says “White People Watching this episode will be like… Pain!” - so… yeah. It’s for a white audience.

im glad it’s not just me having a hard time connecting with the show this season - and it’s def not just because of the standalone - the main action is off too as you detail here

the general way I’m now considering what I have seen of S3 is — this is how disconnecting it can feel/be when you GET into that next level. When you ARE internationally “known” for …your Work. Out the frying pan into the fire type shit

but so far it’s not feeling like much more fun for me than it is for the characters. Shit. Van the only one who seems to be somewhat at “home”… which makes sense given that she’s the only one who has that European experience

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Honestly, I find myself disinterested in the "side episodes" of Atlanta.
Its not that they are bad; its that I don't tune in to see them.
I'm invested in the core characters. I think Glover watched Master of None and thought he could triple down on that technique. It worked in Master of None because it was a one-off and nobody expected it. If he had done the same, it would have been fine. Now, every week brings the question of "is this gonna be Paperboi and the gang or some other shit?"
Do a spin-off anthology series of side stories but stick to the damn subject for the main show.
I'm gonna start skipping the oddball episodes.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Honestly, I find myself disinterested in the "side episodes" of Atlanta.
Its not that they are bad; its that I don't tune in to see them.
I'm invested in the core characters. I think Glover watched Master of None and thought he could triple down on that technique. It worked in Master of None because it was a one-off and nobody expected it. If he had done the same, it would have been fine. Now, every week brings the question of "is this gonna be Paperboi and the gang or some other shit?"
Do a spin-off anthology series of side stories but stick to the damn subject for the main show.
I'm gonna start skipping the oddball episodes.

Wow I am legit surprised that is your take

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wow I am legit surprised that is your take
Again, its not that I don't LIKE them. I actually do. I just believe they belong in their own place, like in some sort of a spinoff.
Granted, I haven't consciously tried to connect the dots between the odd episodes and the main story. There may be a thread there, but unless there is a final episode that connects them all, I find them distracting.
Now if I were writing this, I would have Paperboy do a benefit concert for disenfranchised kids, have the kid from the episode with the suicide dykes be one of the featured beneficiary kids, have the Trini 2 d bone white kid (Bash?) be in attendance because he is a Paperboy fan and have the dad from the reparations episode be part of the wait staff for the catering of the event. Maybe he has to take his daughter along because he has visitation rights for that day but can't fford to miss work?
Somehow, his daughter, Loquarius and Bash go on a little side adventure at the show. Maybe they witness somebody getting jacked in the parking lot and they end up trying to hide from the assailant at the show? They all end up meeting Earnest, who gets the assailant arrested? I don't know. I'm coming off the top of the dome, but the point is the same: unless there is a link or a path that leads to the main storyline, regardless of how well done they are, they don't seem to belong.
Maybe they never show the assailant's face until the end and it turns out to be Sox?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Again, its not that I don't LIKE them. I actually do. I just believe they belong in their own place, like in some sort of a spinoff.
Granted, I haven't consciously tried to connect the dots between the odd episodes and the main story. There may be a thread there, but unless there is a final episode that connects them all, I find them distracting.
Now if I were writing this, I would have Paperboy do a benefit concert for disenfranchised kids, have the kid from the episode with the suicide dykes be one of the featured beneficiary kids, have the Trini 2 d bone white kid (Bash?) be in attendance because he is a Paperboy fan and have the dad from the reparations episode be part of the wait staff for the catering of the event. Maybe he has to take his daughter along because he has visitation rights for that day but can't fford to miss work?
Somehow, his daughter, Loquarius and Bash go on a little side adventure at the show. Maybe they witness somebody getting jacked in the parking lot and they end up trying to hide from the assailant at the show? They all end up meeting Earnest, who gets the assailant arrested? I don't know. I'm coming off the top of the dome, but the point is the same: unless there is a link or a path that leads to the main storyline, regardless of how well done they are, they don't seem to belong.
Maybe they never show the assailant's face until the end and it turns out to be Sox?

bro?

do you freaking understand how brilliant the outline you just wrote is?

They may steal that and us it as a SERIES finale.

WOW.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I wouldn't care as long as they make it make sense.
I just don't want the episodes to be as random as they seem to be now.

I think that its specifically where i disagree

I don't feel that way.

I feel like the last 2 seasons they have been setting us up for this style of storytelling

Also I think knowing what we know about their respective careers getting this cast together must be damn near impossible so anything to elongate enrich this experience I'm down with.

Uncle John

Rising Star
Registered
Watching episode for the second time. Trying to process it. Really need to stop watching this shit high and drunk.

This nigga Paper Boi kickin it with a tranny the whole episode :oops:

The Liam Neison shit was crazier than the Chet Hanks

The 106th And Park joke :eek2:

whoa, that was revealed?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
that nigga was trippin the whole time..lorraine wasn't real....but the actor was a trans woman but that doesn't the mean the character was.

If anything lorraine was the deep questions doubts and observations he's had of himself for a long time. He deals with his family and friend but are they REALLY looking out for him? Darius is clearly riding his coattail. His success means their success but are they really down for him?

And amsterdam is just weird. did those niggas really play keep away with an infant??? :dunno: