"WW C"- COVID-19, GLOBAL CASES SURPASS 676 MILLION...CASES 676,609,955 DEATHS 6,881,955 US CASES 103,804,263 US DEATHS 1,123,836 8:30pm 1/28/24

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How does this work though? I remember reading that Gallup does around 1,000 participants for its polls as that is all that you need to get meaningful data without a crazy margin of error. I figured that 2k-6K would be an adequate sample size for countries larger than here but I also remember that there was point of diminishing return on adding to the sample size. This is all based off me remembering stuff from my college stats class a long time ago so tell me how I am messing this up. :lol:

In order to calculate margin of error, you need a confidence level. So the survey didn’t specify which confidence level they were using which makes a world of difference in the margin of error. Confidence levels are 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% (most commonly used), and 99%.

All you need is the population of the country, the estimated sample you think the surgery used and play around with different confidence levels.

Example
US population: 300 million
Sample from Survey: 48k
Confidence level: 95%
Margin of error: 0.45%

China population: 1.3 billion
Sample from survey: 6600 (although it’s not specified from the survey, I just assumed the highest)
Margin of error: 1.21%

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In order to calculate margin of error, you need a confidence level. So the survey didn’t specify which confidence level they were using which makes a world of difference in the margin of error. Confidence levels are 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% (most commonly used), and 99%.

All you need is the population of the country, the estimated sample you think the surgery used and play around with different confidence levels.

Example

Sample from survey: 6600 (although it’s not specified from the survey, I just assumed the highest)

:bravo:

Those are really low margin of errors, right? Isn't usually 3% considered good?

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:bravo:

Those are really low margin of errors, right? Isn't usually 3% considered good?

Yes, ideally 3% is good at 95% confidence.

Those margin of errors are excellent, but a person like myself will call those stats into question because the population differences are so wide. And the margin of error difference are too wide. You want them closer if you’re comparing data.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Yes, ideally 3% is good at 95% confidence.

Those margin of errors are excellent, but a person like myself will call those stats into question because the population differences are so wide. And the margin of error difference are too wide. You want them closer if you’re comparing data.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
One thing I am proud to see is my young brothers and sister on campus masked up even when outside. Not 100% of them, but an overwhelming majority of them.

That's what's up.

I do believe that there's a direct correlation between individuals who are intelligent/educated and people who are adhering to the advised COVID safety protocols so that isn't surprising.

We've had a few early winter storms in recent weeks locally. I usually drive to work and it's just over 20 mins. I leave 40 - 45 mins early in case of any issue. When I need to take rapid transit (skytrain) - it's about a 15 min walk & 30 min train, so I allow plenty of extra time. Was taking it for awhile recently and then had lieu days and was off. We had another storm last Thursday and coworker told me he skytrained in. He hasn't taken it for a few years and had a regular surgical mask on with an N95 over it to be sure. He said a couple of unmasked guys were sizing him up on the train without saying anything. You could tell by their body language ... even at 6am ... they were looking for a confrontation.

Coworker's a big guy. About 6'4", 220 - 230. Wrong person to mess with (and can fight).

Saw him the other day and he goes - "What the fuck is peoples' problem? I'm doing the right thing ... minding my own business. Vaxxed and boosted. Masked. You don't give a fuck. Why you mad at me? Sizing me up? Get the fuck outta here."

Told him I agreed. Had they picked a fight with him, he would have clowned them like Odenkirk did those guys in the Nobody bus scene ...

:cheers:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Saw him the other day and he goes - "What the fuck is peoples' problem? I'm doing the right thing ... minding my own business. Vaxxed and boosted. Masked. You don't give a fuck. Why you mad at me? Sizing me up? Get the fuck outta here."

...it's real weird. I should say: THOSE type of folks are real weird. I can't call it at this point it's just senselessness :smh:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
...it's real weird. I should say: THOSE type of folks are real weird. I can't call it at this point it's just senselessness :smh:

Yeah man. All we can do is look out for ourselves and our loved ones at this point. Fuck this shit.

People looking for problems with strangers who are safe & 100% minding their own biz.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Example

Ole bitch ass nigga be reading books and paying attention in class. Fuck this nigga yo

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
37, not vaccinated, caught covid a few weeks ago. wasnt a scary experience, at all. just felt like a common cold (which was expected, cause its in the common cold lane). felt like shit tho. but thats usually how u feel when youre sick. the loss of smell was interesting, but part of that had to be from the buckets of snot/mucus, that i was blowing out of my nose. took me a good 2 weeks to shake it. never had a sinus, throat etc infection last that long. but because its NEW, i understood that my body had to take some time to "learn about it". The 2 week duration was mostly my fault, from my pov.

i was hindering my immune system from doing what its capable of doing. I was smoking weed, instead of vaping it. eating whole pizzas and donuts at 3am (munchies), sleeping for only 4 hrs etc. once i cut the bs, and started drinking lots of water, it seems like my body was eliminating everything via my nose. i was blowing globs of snot like every 45 mins. flushed my sinuses with my alkalol nasal wash stuff last week. now im feeling back to normal.

im no doctor, and im not telling anyone not to get the vaccine, but imho, most should be able to handle covid vaccine or not. if u cant, then, imho, the issue is more so u, than covid.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They will not care until it personally impacts them just like covid isn't real until somebody they know dies from it. Even then, they didn't die from covid but from the ventilators, nurses, doctors etc. :smh: I am no medical ethicist but I don't understand the moral justification for allowing a low % of unvaccinated to create chaos for everyone else. Like I said before, we don't jeopardize the safety of the those who evacuated during a hurricane in order to go back and try to help those who chose to stay behind. Obviously, nobody can be forced to be vaccinated but I think we have reached the point where we all need to be held accountable for our own choices. I would much rather focus on vaccinating people in less well off countries than waste any more time going back and forth with the idiots here.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

keep listening to joe Rogan though

:smh: Shit is insane but the crazier part is seeing people on here who regurgitate his "talking points" without doing any critical thinking. How many times have you seen this lie repeated on here because they got the dumb ass idea from Rogan.

NYC right now. Vaccines don't work... :rolleyes: :smh:

JjRkSI0.png

jjFPDOY.png

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They will not care until it personally impacts them just like covid isn't real until somebody they know dies from it. Even then, they didn't die from covid but from the ventilators, nurses, doctors etc. :smh: I am no medical ethicist but I don't understand the moral justification for allowing a low % of unvaccinated to create chaos for everyone else. Like I said before, we don't jeopardize the safety of the those who evacuated during a hurricane in order to go back and try to help those who chose to stay behind. Obviously, nobody can be forced to be vaccinated but I think we have reached the point where we all need to be held accountable for our own choices. I would much rather focus on vaccinating people in less well off countries than waste any more time going back and forth with the idiots here.
They should allow the insurance companies to charge a premium for the unvaccinated the only problem is most of these antivaxxers are on medicaid and the state pays for them.