ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
thats the problem
Indy wrestlers for the most part have ceilings in the WWE...on your list the most sucessful is proably Owens. Seth is the most successful 'Indy' wresteler on the roster overall. But Vince has his guys and his types. It really took generational talents like DB & Punk to break the mold. But otherwise Vince sticks to his tried and true forumla. Its the reason why so many successful wrestlers on NXT have floundered while others who were afterthoughts I have excelled (they fit the WWE mold) and Vince is always digging the crates for main events at PPVs. The question will this formula be sustainable 5 to 10 years from now. Eventually the Rocks, Stone Colds, Cenas, Goldbergs, Brocks & Edges will become the Hogans, Flairs, HBKs, Brett & Undertakers that can show up for a cheap pop but cant wrestle. Who will be the new Cena, Rock or Stone Cold...WWE better hope Reigns doesnt follow the Rock & Cena into Hollywood because the cupboard is looking bare for Vince types longterm.

It happened at WrestleMania, they couldn't get any of the old guys except Edge.

It also doesn't help that 6 people who were on WM don't even work there anymore.

It will get to a point where they won't have a choice but to put those guys I named over, or they will go join their friends in AEW.

Vince's way won't be sustainable, but I'd wager Vince thinks he'll sell the company or kick the bucket by the time that happens again.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What specifically about the presentation makes it feel indy to you?
To me the main thing with AEW are the weak storylines and lack of explanation when new guys show up.
It's too much "catering to the marks" and it's always on some "if you know, you know" type shit. Not everyone knows these indy guys already.
On indy shows you don't have to worry about long-term storytelling since it's usually just a one-off show.
It's good enough to just have the matches at an indy show without much of a storyline. That doesn't work for a weekly TV show.

If you want to grow your audience, you need to do more than just cater to the people who already fans and will watch no matter what.
I know they've pulled in 1m+ for the past couple of weeks and they've been patting themselves on the back over that, but that's still down from where they started when Dynamite first aired.

It's easy to just match up guys and put them in a match together, it's harder to tell a good story of how they got there.
Too many clearly visible pre-planned spots. I swear there's an outside dive in every match.

And this isn't about "but WWE does it too". Like them or not, WWE is established and isn't going anywhere.
AEW is still trying to establish itself for the long haul and become legitimate competition to the WWE.
Right now they're not, as much as people want them to be. Vince himself said recently he doesn't consider them to be legit competition.
Maybe he'll eat his words in a few years and I want AEW to be legit competition so the wrestling product overall can be better like it was in the 90s.
AEW has good young talent like Adam Page, Omega (although he can't cut a serious promo to save his life), Sammy Guevara, etc. but too many times they're put in stupid storylines and made to look like goofy cartoon characters. Something we've all complained that WWE does.

Last edited:

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
The business got to get back into building characters again. I can't stress creative control enough. Also the business needs less corporate and less corny bumpkin types writing the storylines.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
To me the main thing with AEW are the weak storylines and lack of explanation when new guys show up.
It's too much "catering to the marks" and it's always on some "if you know, you know" type shit. Not everyone knows these indy guys already.
On indy shows you don't have to worry about long-term storytelling since it's usually just a one-off show.
It's good enough to just have the matches at an indy show without much of a storyline. That doesn't work for a weekly TV show.

If you want to grow your audience, you need to do more than just cater to the people who already fans and will watch no matter what.
I know they've pulled in 1m+ for the past couple of weeks and they've been patting themselves on the back over that, but that's still down from where they started when Dynamite first aired.

It's easy to just match up guys and put them in a match together, it's harder to tell a good story of how they got there.
Too many clearly visible pre-planned spots. I swear there's an outside dive in every match.

And this isn't about "but WWE does it too". Like them or not, WWE is established and isn't going anywhere.
AEW is still trying to establish itself for the long haul and become legitimate competition to the WWE.
Right now they're not, as much as people want them to be. Vince himself said recently he doesn't consider them to be legit competition.
Maybe he'll eat his words in a few years and I want AEW to be legit competition so the wrestling product overall can be better like it was in the 90s.
AEW has good young talent like Adam Page, Omega (although he can't cut a serious promo to save his life), Sammy Guevara, etc. but too many times they're put in stupid storylines and made to look like goofy cartoon characters. Something we've all complained that WWE does.
You said it better than I could have ever explained it. I cosign everything you typed, especially the "catering to the marks" stuff.

To answer a point made earlier regarding AEW'S stars, and how they are elevating midcard indy guys to that main event spotlight, your "catering to the marks" sentiment is the reason why I made that comment earlier.

TNT is a mainstream cable network. AEW doesn't have mainstream TV wrestling stars outside of WWE castoffs.

Kenny Omega is huge star in wrestling circles.

Ask casual wrestling fans or non wrestling audiences about Kenny Omega and they'll probably think "Omega" is the South Park character's last name.

AEWs signing of WWE castoffs is as much of them trying to legitimize their brand as it is more than anything else. That's why they brought in Jericho originally. That's why they signed all those old WWE background names.

When you have Indy wrestling darlings with no TV experience running the company, the TV product will suffer.

Yes, they have been able to maintain some loyalty from their original supporters but AEW is banking on trying to grow their audience using old WWE names to improve their product and hold onto that Indy wrestling vibe.

Something is going to have to give.

They always tried to be an alternative to WWE but they are basically rehashing and redoing shit WWE did.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
he need to bounce
he is DOA on on the main roster at his height and unless he want to be NXT lifer like Champia or Garango
Champia asked to stay in NXT because it would extend his career. But yeah I agree he needs to leave. His GF is in AEW and he has history with The Elite getting kicked from the bullet club.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
he need to bounce
he is DOA on on the main roster at his height and unless he want to be NXT lifer like Champia or Garango

But is that a bad thing for guys like him? You get the WWE money, exposure and everything that comes with that machine

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor
I think flair coming to aew for a horseman reunion is a win! Yes it's rehashing the old but they can continue to keep it fresh. I love omega and that tag division! Not sure what's next for db, punk, stroman or windham, but it could be pretty entertaining!

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor

If....IF Charlotte ever went to AEW, she could be the one that would put them into the real competition discussion.

One thing holding AEW back is their Women's division.

Charlotte Flair would significantly improve their women's division and AEW could build around her.

I know cats are tired of her but she is probably the best all round women's performer in the game today. She is good in the ring and mic and can make others look good.

Last edited:

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Tonight's Raw is sold out in Chicago.

LMAO there are going to be so many CM Punk and Bray Wyatt chants.
My daughters in The D took the kids to a house show this pass weekend 10 free tickets three rows away from the ring.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
You said it better than I could have ever explained it. I cosign everything you typed, especially the "catering to the marks" stuff.

To answer a point made earlier regarding AEW'S stars, and how they are elevating midcard indy guys to that main event spotlight, your "catering to the marks" sentiment is the reason why I made that comment earlier.

TNT is a mainstream cable network. AEW doesn't have mainstream TV wrestling stars outside of WWE castoffs.

Kenny Omega is huge star in wrestling circles.

Ask casual wrestling fans or non wrestling audiences about Kenny Omega and they'll probably think "Omega" is the South Park character's last name.

AEWs signing of WWE castoffs is as much of them trying to legitimize their brand as it is more than anything else. That's why they brought in Jericho originally. That's why they signed all those old WWE background names.

When you have Indy wrestling darlings with no TV experience running the company, the TV product will suffer.

Yes, they have been able to maintain some loyalty from their original supporters but AEW is banking on trying to grow their audience using old WWE names to improve their product and hold onto that Indy wrestling vibe.

Something is going to have to give.

They always tried to be an alternative to WWE but they are basically rehashing and redoing shit WWE did.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

People say they don't want to see these old guys main event WWE shows, and want to see the younger guys and the guys they hoarded from the indies get the pushes.

AEW takes their indie guys (who casual fans probably haven't heard of, because they didn't go to WWE or weren't there for long, but are great wrestlers) and their younger guys, and are building them up and making them the stars of the show, and put the old WWE guys behind them.

And that's what they should do. WWE damn sure don't do that.

AEW did it with Jericho and Moxley, and now that they have their fanbase, they're spotlighting their young guys.

Those other WWE guys they've signed aren't big names, they're not moving needles like that. Punk, Bryan, Braun and Bray are. But AEW needs to spend this time building their homegrown guys up so those big names have legit competition other than each other.

So they won't have to be shot straight to the title picture. They can be used to help make the next big star. They'll have all these interesting match-ups they can do instead of just having a gimmick of "well I was the shit back in my day, back in WWE, so I should be the shit here because y'all are nobodies" and then just have them beating all their homegrown talent and have them get lost in the shuffle.

It didn't work for WWE, why should AEW do the exact same thing?

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The business got to get back into building characters again. I can't stress creative control enough. Also the business needs less corporate and less corny bumpkin types writing the storylines.
I agree it's the money and corporate sponsorship that is being catered too. Its like the music industry everything is watered down and bland or mimicking each other.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If....IF Charlotte ever went to AEW, she could be the one that would put them into the real competition discussion.

One thing holding AEW back is their Women's division.

Charlotte Flair would significantly improve their women's division and AEW could build around her.

I know cats are tired of her but she is probably the best all round women's performer in the game today. She is good in the ring and mic and can make others look good.
I've never understood the hatred towards Charlotte. She's head and shoulders (literally) better than almost all the women and she knows it.
What is WWE supposed to do, not push her? Have her job to women she's clearly better than?
Yes, Aska can work but she has no promo ability. Sasha is charismatic, but fragile and injury-prone.
Becky Lynch may have been a flash in the pan. She'll get a big pop when she finally returns, but let's see how long that lasts.

Charlotte would embarrass almost all of the women on the AEW roster.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've never understood the hatred towards Charlotte. She's head and shoulders (literally) better than almost all the women and she knows it.
What is WWE supposed to do, not push her? Have her job to women she's clearly better than?
Yes, Aska can work but she has no promo ability. Sasha is charismatic, but fragile and injury-prone.
Becky Lynch may have been a flash in the pan. She'll get a big pop when she finally returns, but let's see how long that lasts.

Charlotte would embarrass almost all of the women on the AEW roster.

But we aren't talking about an industry like MMA, we are talking about the circus that is professional wrestling. Where Floyd Mayweather beats Big Show. Where John Cena can get beat for 20min and beat a person in 2min to win a match. Charlotte is an EXCELLENT worker, but if you already know the outcome of the match before it happens, THAT is what people don't like. Folks want a story-line that makes you say; 'I don't know how this is gonna turn out!'. Charlotte matches don't make you think that, especially if she doesn't have the belt or if she is in a match that isn't one on one.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But we aren't talking about an industry like MMA, we are talking about the circus that is professional wrestling. Where Floyd Mayweather beats Big Show. Where John Cena can get beat for 20min and beat a person in 2min to win a match. Charlotte is an EXCELLENT worker, but if you already know the outcome of the match before it happens, THAT is what people don't like. Folks want a story-line that makes you say; 'I don't know how this is gonna turn out!'. Charlotte matches don't make you think that, especially if she doesn't have the belt or if she is in a match that isn't one on one.
Did you watch Raw last night? She lost the match to Nikki ASH (Cross) with no interference or shenanigans.
She doesn't win every match like people claim. And it's okay for certain wrestlers to be dominant and have winning streaks.
I feel like folks have become so accustomed to 50/50 booking that they get turned off when someone goes on a winning streak.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did you watch Raw last night? She lost the match to Nikki ASH (Cross) with no interference or shenanigans.
She doesn't win every match like people claim. And it's okay for certain wrestlers to be dominant and have winning streaks.
I feel like folks have become so accustomed to 50/50 booking that they get turned off when someone goes on a winning streak.

Watching it now.... thanks for the spoiler DAMMIT!!!
:rolleyes2::p

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Was watching old early Attitude era WWF videos today and came across the failed NWA Invasion stuff lead by Jim Cornette and Jeff Jarrett. Eventually Dan The Beast Severn joined in. Dude was a legit badass. He could mollywhop anyone in that roster.

If only he was booked better.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Was watching old early Attitude era WWF videos today and came across the failed NWA Invasion stuff lead by Jim Cornette and Jeff Jarrett. Eventually Dan The Beast Severn joined in. Dude was a legit badass. He could mollywhop anyone in that roster.

If only he was booked better.

Dan Severn was my guy back in the old UFC days! Wasn't it the rear naked choke he would use in WWE?

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn, I miss those attitude era RAW shows. Even the stuff that sucked back then is better than what's on today.