The power of intermittent fasting

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How does that work? Have you gotten stronger because I've never done OMAD on a consistent basis like that..what are your macros on that if you don't mind me asking.
Definitely.

I plateaued when I was doing OMAD Monday thru Friday, and two meals on Saturday and Sunday.

I broke that plateau when I started doing OMAD everyday and made my cheat meal one meal. Been losing weight ever since.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How does that work? Have you gotten stronger because I've never done OMAD on a consistent basis like that..what are your macros on that if you don't mind me asking.

You basically fasting for 23 hours, plenty of fat buring and ketosis. Plus you can only eat so much in one sitting

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Like reading everyone's post in this thread. I learned a lot about not only fasting but supplements as well. So many to name but all great because every body type is not the same nor do their inner workings so any info is helpful and I am sure everyone got a benefit from a useful post in this thread. Every since I lost 50 pounds due to fasting, supplements, and exercising my body has regulated and I have kept it off. I'm struggling to get back and stay in the 180 lbs range but I want to build back good weight in a healthy way. I am cool up to 195 pounds, just a hair under 6 ft. tall.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered

I give myself a one hour window to eat, either 6 to 7pm or 7pm to 8pm, every day.

The rest of the day, I might chew some sugar-free gum or have a Sparkling Ice or a Virgil soda (both are low to no calories, sugar free, taste great) and that's it.

My macros are split 45% carbs, 35% protein, 20% fat. About 2000 calories.

I go to calculator.net and do the calorie calculator. Get my number of calories. I then go to MyFitnessPal and go to settings and go to Calorie & Macro Goals. And you can change your macro percentages. I do that every time I plateau because as you lose weight, the number of calories you need changes, too.

Then after I change my macro percentages in MyFitnessPal, I start adding up the foods I eat daily and change the portions to meet my macro goals.

I eat everything I need in one hour. A banana, a protein shake, a ounce of mixed nuts. A plate of steamed veggies (beans, broccoli, spinach), a bowl of sweet potatoes with a tbsp of real maple syrup and some sweetener. Then either air fryer chicken or 2 turkey tacos, a ICE soda, and a multivitamin.

I hit everything, I leave a calorie deficit, I keep my sugar and salt intake low, and it's been working for me.

Once you figure out the diet shit, it's only a matter of getting a few workouts in during the week and you good.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I give myself a one hour window to eat, either 6 to 7pm or 7pm to 8pm, every day.

The rest of the day, I might chew some sugar-free gum or have a Sparkling Ice or a Virgil soda (both are low to no calories, sugar free, taste great) and that's it.

My macros are split 45% carbs, 35% protein, 20% fat. About 2000 calories.

I go to calculator.net and do the calorie calculator. Get my number of calories. I then go to MyFitnessPal and go to settings and go to Calorie & Macro Goals. And you can change your macro percentages. I do that every time I plateau because as you lose weight, the number of calories you need changes, too.

Then after I change my macro percentages in MyFitnessPal, I start adding up the foods I eat daily and change the portions to meet my macro goals.

I eat everything I need in one hour. A banana, a protein shake, a ounce of mixed nuts. A plate of steamed veggies (beans, broccoli, spinach), a bowl of sweet potatoes with a tbsp of real maple syrup and some sweetener. Then either air fryer chicken or 2 turkey tacos, a ICE soda, and a multivitamin.

I hit everything, I leave a calorie deficit, I keep my sugar and salt intake low, and it's been working for me.

Once you figure out the diet shit, it's only a matter of getting a few workouts in during the week and you good.

Thank you..This helps!

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I do the 36 to clear me out from Sunday and Mondays. Tuesdays i do a hard workout during the day then have plenty of water and green tea. All the other days i do the 20-4. I like the 36 hour fast because its starts my work week off right since I work Wed-Saturday. My eating schedule wed to Saturday is 7am to 11 am.

I'm 19 hours into a 44 hour fast. It was going to be more like 40 or 41 but I forgot I have a dentist appointment right after work tomorrow and I also forgot that the clocks went back an hour last night. I should be ok though because I've done a couple 48s within the last few years and really didn't plan on it but this time I'm doing it intentionally.

I've been IF for the last few years, fasting 16 to 20 hours a day. I want to maybe do like you do where maybe once a week, start about a 40 hour fast on Saturday night and eat after I come home from work on Monday afternoon. My usual fast schedule is start eating about 4pm after work and the gym and be finished eating at 8pm.

Quick question, the guy in the video says he eats a small 500 calorie meal on his long fast. Do you do that or do you just tough it out for the whole 2 days? I think I can tough it out but I'm going to bring my small meal to work tomorrow just in case I can't make it lol.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm 19 hours into a 44 hour fast. It was going to be more like 40 or 41 but I forgot I have a dentist appointment right after work tomorrow and I also forgot that the clocks went back an hour last night. I should be ok though because I've done a couple 48s within the last few years and really didn't plan on it but this time I'm doing it intentionally.

I've been IF for the last few years, fasting 16 to 20 hours a day. I want to maybe do like you do where maybe once a week, start about a 40 hour fast on Saturday night and eat after I come home from work on Monday afternoon. My usual fast schedule is start eating about 4pm and be finished eating at 8pm.

Quick question, the guy in the video says he eats a small 500 calorie meal on his long fast. Do you do that or do you just tough it out for the whole 2 days? I think I can tough it out but I'm going to bring my small meal to work tomorrow just in case I can't make it lol.

I dont have anything on my long fasts, except for water, plain green tea and a few minerals/electrolytes. Having even a small meal will invoke an insulin response which breaks a fast

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend

I've been IF for the last few years, fasting 16 to 20 hours a day. I want to maybe do like you do where maybe once a week, start about a 40 hour fast on Saturday night and eat after I come home from work on Monday afternoon. My usual fast schedule is start eating about 4pm after work and the gym and be finished eating at 8pm.

Ok. I just finished my fast of 45 hours and about 9 minutes. I could have easily finished today out and broke my fast some time tomorrow but i didn't want to go crazy with it. I was cool except for at work this morning about 8am. A coworker was talking about something that I didn't want to hear and I grew a little frustrated and kinda felt lightheaded for about 15 seconds or so but I quickly went back to feeling pretty good after that.

By the time I got home, I wasn't even in a hurry to fix something to eat. Overall I feel really good after eating and I'm glad I clicked on this thread.

Thanks, BGOL. :cool:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok. I just finished my fast of 45 hours and about 9 minutes. I could have easily finished today out and broke my fast some time tomorrow but i didn't want to go crazy with it. I was cool except for at work this morning about 8am. A coworker was talking about something that I didn't want to hear and I grew a little frustrated and kinda felt lightheaded for about 15 seconds or so but I quickly went back to feeling pretty good after that.

By the time I got home, I wasn't even in a hurry to fix something to eat. Overall I feel really good after eating and I'm glad I clicked on this thread.

:clap:

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor

Good shit fam. I have been doing 20-4. 45 hrs is fucking amazing

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
Good shit fam. I have been doing 20-4. 45 hrs is fucking amazing

Thanks family.

Yeah, I'm not gonna do that shit every

other day like some people. I'm gonna

do it again this weekend and maybe

start doing it every other week or so

because I feel great and I can tell that

I'm going to get some benefits from it.

Last edited:

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
I think they have said after a longer fast (> 20hrs) to slowly start back eating due to the protective mucosa in the stomach decreasing from fasting that long and needing to be built back up.

I am not sure the science behind that but if it is true then be careful

Yeah, you have fewer enzymes that aid in digestion so you shouldn't break your fast with a large meal. Many people say a light meal or just bone broth is the best way to break back in.

Also, I can tell you from personal experience, you definitely don't want to start off with a high-sugar drink or meal. I've done that and the sugar and insulin spike knocked me out a couple of hours later.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
"When glycogen is in short supply, your body also reverts to breaking down protein -- your muscles' building blocks -- for fuel," Pritchett says. So, while you may shed more fat when exercising on an intermittent fasting diet, you may lose more muscle, too. If you're heading out on a long run, but haven't eaten any carbs, your body might start burning protein within a couple of hours.​
That won't just thwart how much weight you can bench press or how toned your butt looks. It will also slow your metabolism, which can make losing weight more difficult in the long run. In an effort to prevent starvation, your body adapts to the number calories you give it. So if you're frequently making drastic cuts to your calorie intake, your body will eventually adjust, burning fewer calories per day to ensure you have enough energy left to stay upright, breathing and healthy, Pritchett says.​
In one small study from the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, after a group of men and women fasted every other day for 22 days, their resting metabolic rates (how many calories they burned each day by simply living), had dropped by 5%, or 83 calories. That's not exactly ideal for any exercise plan that's supposed to end in weight loss.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"When glycogen is in short supply, your body also reverts to breaking down protein -- your muscles' building blocks -- for fuel," Pritchett says. So, while you may shed more fat when exercising on an intermittent fasting diet, you may lose more muscle, too. If you're heading out on a long run, but haven't eaten any carbs, your body might start burning protein within a couple of hours.​
That won't just thwart how much weight you can bench press or how toned your butt looks. It will also slow your metabolism, which can make losing weight more difficult in the long run. In an effort to prevent starvation, your body adapts to the number calories you give it. So if you're frequently making drastic cuts to your calorie intake, your body will eventually adjust, burning fewer calories per day to ensure you have enough energy left to stay upright, breathing and healthy, Pritchett says.​
In one small study from the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, after a group of men and women fasted every other day for 22 days, their resting metabolic rates (how many calories they burned each day by simply living), had dropped by 5%, or 83 calories. That's not exactly ideal for any exercise plan that's supposed to end in weight loss.

Lifts are stronger during fast. I lift heavy and do sprint intervals which build muscle. Been cutting up crazy doing intermittent fasting. The only longer during cardio i do is boxing but there are highly explosive movements mixed in. The basis of my diet are low glicemic veggies and fruit, lean protein, good fats and water.

The results are fat loss, lean muscle building and feeling better, plus the basic metabolic panel from bloodwork is perfect. Dr told my ass to keep on doing what im doing.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I think they have said after a longer fast (> 20hrs) to slowly start back eating due to the protective mucosa in the stomach decreasing from fasting that long and needing to be built back up.

Agreed. It's interesting to see boxers & mixed martial artists in the behind the scenes clips during the week of weight cuts. Gearing up to make weight and then rehydrating thereafter. Gotta be careful with that process, and the many post-fight snacks & heavier meals.

Also, the water-loading that goes on prior to the tougher part of the weight cut.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I break mines, with an apple or some plant protein then I have a larger meal about an hour later

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He said you don't want to fast 20

hours everyday. Only a couple times

a week. I've been doing 18 to 20 hours

for almost all of 2020. How often do

you guys 20 hour fast?

I do at least 20 hours everyday except maybe a couple days a month. I do 36 hours 4 times a month. I haven't had any ill effects from consistently fasting 20 hours most days

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I do at least 20 hours everyday except maybe a couple days a month. I do 36 hours 4 times a month. I haven't had any ill effects from consistently fasting 20 hours most days

Do you lift to put on muscle and if so,

is putting on muscle difficult for you?

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do you lift to put on muscle and if so,

is putting on muscle difficult for you?

My lifts are 95% compounds lifts. I actually feel stronger and more focused while lifting at the end of a long fast. Im more focused on building lean muscle which has not been difficult for me at all. When I get up tomm I will do deadlifts, squats and romainian deadlifts with some hit after. I lift pretty heavy. Ive been getting great gains.

I'll probably switch to 3 days of a full body lift routine next month with 5x5 sets, Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Rows, Pullups, standing Shoulder Press, power cleans. With jump-rope and sprints for cardio

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lets stay disciplined for the holiday season. Gonna take a week break to recharge when I go on vacation before Christmas, but will get back on it soon as I touch down.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
60 hours? god damn, I've dropped about 35 lbs doing 24 hours fasts, by the 20th hour my stomach is screaming for food.

Honestly the first day’s the worst. I usually start on Monday, I start saying I want to do 2-3 days. I REALLY would like to do 3 days but I start thinking about food too much!

Day 1 I’m good until it’s dinner time, then I start thinking “It sure would be nice to have something to eat”. Knowing if I eat I’d be mad at myself for giving up.

Day 2 I’ve realized that I fasted for more than 30 plus hours and would Really feel bad if a gave up and ate and that gets me through day 2.

Day 3 I start thinking more about food and usually give up having something in the evening time.

We’ll see how it goes this week, starting again on Monday.

And good work losing 35 pounds! :clap:

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
60 hours? god damn, I've dropped about 35 lbs doing 24 hours fasts, by the 20th hour my stomach is screaming for food.
What are you drinking or taking in daily?

Every morn I take coffee, then after a cup of burdock tea with seamoss. All day I do drink a lot of water. In the past, if hungry, used to add a pinch of Himalayan Salt to my water and helps with hunger and muscle aches. I do 23/1 daily for over a year now.

Also I do vitamins morn and eve. Important to take Magnesium Glycinate, at night when fasting B4 bed.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Yall gotta give me a schedule to go that hard...

I have done the 16/8
Use apps.

I've been using Zero and today just found this new app with many reviews called Fastic.

With Zero you can plug in your fasting window and will remind when to start and stop and let's you earn badges/rewards and has challenges. All to keep you motivated and focused.

I am not religious to this, meaning I'm human.
If you fall off for a day, just continue on and move on to the next.

My only suggestion is everyone is different. I've watched chicks stick to 16/8 on reddit and lose a lot. But for me I try to stick to at least 21/3 to 23/1 daily. It's most effective for me.

And important to guesstimate your calories.
I know I went up a few pounds over Xmas eating and not running outside for the past 3 weeks. But don't beat yourself up, tomorrow, just start again.

This is a marathon, not a race.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yall gotta give me a schedule to go that hard...

I have done the 16/8
Use apps.

I've been using Zero and today just found this new app with many reviews called Fastic.

With Zero you can plug in your fasting window and will remind when to start and stop and let's you earn badges/rewards and has challenges. All to keep you motivated and focused.

I am not religious to this, meaning I'm human.
If you fall off for a day, just continue on and move on to the next.

My only suggestion is everyone is different. I've watched chicks stick to 16/8 on reddit and lose a lot. But for me I try to stick to at least 21/3 to 23/1 daily. It's most effective for me.

And important to guesstimate your calories.
I know I went up a few pounds over Xmas eating and not running outside for the past 3 weeks. But don't beat yourself up, tomorrow, just start again.

This is a marathon, not a race.

16/8 and 21/3?

Y'all sounding real fat and lazy right now! If you ain’t doing 23.9/.1 then you’re not really about that life!

H2q0.gif