Mase sold his publishing to Puff for 20K when he was 19. Offered 2 million, Puff said fuck off

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You got ANY idea why of all of sudden ALL these artists complaining?

I mena they ALWAYS complaining but this seems like an organized efort

Mase's "complaining" is in different response to a speech Diddy game about the industry and how white folks be fucking over black artists.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mase's "complaining" is in different response to a speech Diddy game about the industry and how white folks be fucking over black artists.

you right

its just interesting Kelis just made a statement about the Neptunes too

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
Fuck Mase and the legions of up and comers that don't think. That shit's a gamble. You sold your publishing like the Indians sold their land.
You thought it was nothing and made off the victor. While you copped a depreciating "asset" called 20K. Probably didn't invest. Inflation sunk
its fangs into that payout, and now you still crying after 24 years? Illiteracy is expensive when you ignore it.

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
:angry: Fuck Puffy, that no-talent hack! :angry:

I'm glad Made called him out for his bullshit!

That's how old this call out is. Like I wrote earlier, jackasses taking advantage of the platform. Like Puff. Like Abigail Disney, etc.
And remember, Puff fired back at Jadakiss for not reading his contract.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
I don’t know how to feel about this. Pufff did the same thing to Biggie. However, Puff and Mase was borrowing heavy and ran out of funds. Then they asked Puff for a loan and Puff had them sign over their publishing. It’s a creep move because Mase and Biggie didn’t understand publishing and how valuable it would be in the future, but Diddy knew. I remember Puff receiving backlash for these practices because people assumed he was boys with all them but it was a business for Puff.

Go back and read Biggie’s interview with Vibe magazine. The one where he is in the car with Faith. What an iconic picture. I believe that’s where he talks about his publishing situation.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's how old this call out is. Like I wrote earlier, jackasses taking advantage of the platform. Like Puff. Like Abigail Disney, etc.
And remember, Puff fired back at Jadakiss for not reading his contract.

What's crazy is even after all this shit...

Muthafuckas still signing their souls away

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
What's crazy is even after all this shit...

Muthafuckas still signing their souls away

This is my point exactly. I need to cake off on youtube on simply reading contracts. Sprint. Bank of America. Surprised that shit isn't an occupation. BTW, that book is easily 15 years old. Sometimes, getting burned is the only way to learn for knuckleheads. Look at the suckers that came after him. Be grateful you had stardom. Still waiting for Stro to blow since his television debut.

This is best time in life to start on ventures if we can kick off old mindsets. I remember hearing protests about radio stations not breaking in or giving established artists airplay while these youngins are busting loose from social media.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

The "Real" Reason Diddy Has Not "Worked With" Ma$e!
byillseed
2 hrs

There are two sides to every story and here are the rumors in Diddy's defense.

SHARE COPY LINK TWEET

(AllHipHop Rumors) It is very hard for me to defend Diddy in light of what Mase has posted on his social media. Remember Mase was one of Diddy's main artists on Bad Boy Records, particularly after B.I.G. died. He was the pop star that helped propel Diddy to where he is today - a near-billionaire!
So, now Mase wants his publishing and is kicking up a whole bunch of dust for his former label head, Sean "Diddy" Combs. Is there another side? Before I say that we have to say that a lot of artists have complained about Diddy for years. Just about all of them have had something to say. The Lox used to talk about "Raping You Records" in relationship to Bad Boy Records. The list goes on and on. Mase is a unique one though.

Here is what I am hearing about the relationship between Diddy and Mase is complex. The ending...why did Mase leave the rap game? Over 20 years ago - on April 20, 199- Mason Betha left the rap game. "I gotta do what make me happy. A lot of people gonna say I'm crazy, I'm leaving money behind and a lot of things but it's just how I feel in my heart. Once God puts something in your heart–you know, God talks to everyone different," Mase said.
Now, I always was told that there was a God-clause in Mase's contract where he could leave and maintain his riches from Bad Boy if he left for religious reasons. Mase would go on to some success as a preacher under Creflo Dollar. Apparently, Tia and Tamara Mowry got him to turn to God. Mase left the game for about 5 years before coming back. It is my understanding that he "took" Diddy for millions with he left to be a preacher.
So, Diddy MAY feel that he is owed money and the only way to get back what he is owed is to retain ownership of his publishing. Remember that is the deal that Mase and his lawyer negotiated many years ago in the 90s. He may not have gotten a fair deal but he certainly had better times than I will ever experience, to be reallllllly real.

Did Mase swindle Diddy when he left and then offer to buy back his publishing essentially on a discount (compared to what he got away with)? That is the way the source is describing it. If you get away with $6 and offer back $2....don't expect the dude to take that deal. Hey, I can't call it, b. I would certainly be able to live off the money Mase had.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is my point exactly. I need to cake off on youtube on simply reading contracts. Sprint. Bank of America. Surprised that shit isn't an occupation. BTW, that book is easily 15 years old. Sometimes, getting burned is the only way to learn for knuckleheads. Look at the suckers that came after him. Be grateful you had stardom. Still waiting for Stro to blow since his television debut.

This is best time in life to start on ventures if we can kick off old mindsets. I remember hearing protests about radio stations not breaking in or giving established artists airplay while these youngins are busting loose from social media.

Bruh social media is living proof we are in

A whole new dimension...

Bruh we went from being dictated to what to watch and when to watch it..

Now its like watch what you want when you want..

Bruh social media totally changed the game

Damn shame too many aint learning from mistakes of the past...

Quiet as its kept... I heard there were other reasons mase dipped.

The publishing was just a part of it..

I heard dudes sayin it was gettin real hot around bad boy...and dudes was fearing for their lives..

Never heard anymore about it...

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Diddy and Mase the Dracula and Igor of Hip Hop.

And yes, Diddy is the last muthafucka who should be talking about fucked up business practices. They wouldn't have allowed in the game at that time making the money they made if it about Diddy spreading the business wealth and empowering his artist to being as powerful as they let him be.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Don't sell yourself for 20k
they got on by selling themselves out...
rollout of first single to album and first real media run they fall in love with fame and fantasy

swearing shit will last forever - easily manipulated by anything that feeds the ego

Bert Bedell dropped jewels on everyone tha6t sat in his office and 99% were deaf...

none of them were counting money or asking about budgets-
as soon as the business manager first tells them they are short on the rental or mortgage money
the publishing rights were sold

even now aint a damn thing changed - because 99% of these artists desire fame over everything - until its too late or almost over...

thats why the rare exceptions that really grew and have long careers are so different by how they came in focused on the music and LISTENING to old heads on watching $$ and looking out to flip business and branding independent of what labels and management companies bring to the table

SVT

Rising Star
Registered
He sold it. Cocaine is a helluva drug. For all that hot shit he spit he wasn't no killah. Once upon one of my peeps made a quick G saving Mase punk ass from a restaurant cause the wolves were outside waiting. Him & another dude who need not be mention were the pups that day. Talmbout 8 straight summers and 8 straight Hummers but I never seen them dudes in Harlem during my time.
Who u talking about brah

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
they got on by selling themselves out...
rollout of first single to album and first real media run they fall in love with fame and fantasy

swearing shit will last forever - easily manipulated by anything that feeds the ego

Bert Bedell dropped jewels on everyone tha6t sat in his office and 99% were deaf...

none of them were counting money or asking about budgets-
as soon as the business manager first tells them they are short on the rental or mortgage money
the publishing rights were sold

even now aint a damn thing changed - because 99% of these artists desire fame over everything - until its too late or almost over...

thats why the rare exceptions that really grew and have long careers are so different by how they came in focused on the music and LISTENING to old heads on watching $$ and looking out to flip business and branding independent of what labels and management companies bring to the table

Completely agree with you.
I kind of laughed when the labels renamed the 4080 rule to 360 deals lol

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Puff got his riches off the backs of the artists and musicians he exploited. Kats new to the "Game" aren't looking at the Music Business as a "Business", they're looking for the fame and riches. Only later do they find out that the ones that they thought was looking out for the we're only looking out for their own bottom line. Name a major Pop, Rock, Soul, or Hip-Hop artist and I bet they've been fucked over by those in the business who they thought they were "close" with. It's a fucked game if you don't know the rules on how to play.

oolong tea

Rising Star
Registered
Puff got his riches off the backs of the artists and musicians he exploited. Kats new to the "Game" aren't looking at the Music Business as a "Business", they're looking for the fame and riches. Only later do they find out that the ones that they thought was looking out for the we're only looking out for their own bottom line. Name a major Pop, Rock, Soul, or Hip-Hop artist and I bet they've been fucked over by those in the business who they thought they were "close" with. It's a fucked game if you don't know the rules on how to play.

But check it out. He actually read those books NO HALO on the music industry

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol: The nerve of that dude.
Yeah man, Puffy gave him millions for him to do another album. Mase took the money and never recorded Shit.

Then Puffy turned around and gave him several million again to record that flop welcome back album.

It’s like damn Mase, you actually owe Puffy a lot of money. Quitting in your prime after Puffy gave you millions cost Puffy crazy money. Then he begged and pleaded and pulled that radio stunt and popped up on Diddy to get out of his contract

Puffy signed it and we still have not heard from Mase. :lol: Out of all Diddy’s artist, he has done everything Mase asked of him. Now this nigga want some publishing and only offered half the money he owes Puff for it smh

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He damn sure did.

Puffy was 1000% correct in the Lox situation. Puffy was the one who initially invested into the Lox and made them a platinum selling act. After one album, The Lox then wanted to get out of their contract to go over to Ruff Ryders.

I agree with Puffy, who in their right mind would help build something then turn around and give the product away to another group of owners for them to profit?

That is exactly what would have happen if Diddy had let the Lox walk out of their contract and gave them all of their publishing.

Also Diddy asked the Lox to write for him and they refused. If they had wrote for Diddy they would still be receiving 4 million a year.

Fools left and went to RR and flopped. Never reached platinum status again

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Puff put himself out there.
Ma$e said cool, don't talk about it be about it.
People are upset at Ma$e.

I'm ssssooooo confused.

It's on Puff to make this right or he looks like an even bigger hypocrite than imagined.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
He sold it. Cocaine is a helluva drug. For all that hot shit he spit he wasn't no killah. Once upon one of my peeps made a quick G saving Mase punk ass from a restaurant cause the wolves were outside waiting. Him & another dude who need not be mention were the pups that day. Talmbout 8 straight summers and 8 straight Hummers but I never seen them dudes in Harlem during my time.
Damn that sounds like this story

Start at 1:04 mark

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
puffy's just like every music exec that fucked over their artist..seems like he tryna make amends. these artist trying to get back what they agreed and signed to is just shit they need to suck up. its a business that they should research and realize decisions have to be made. mase made his. dude devalued himself. we all can look back at decisions with money and kick ourselves. mase been kicking himself for 20 plus years.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Since the beginning of time the game has been about publishing. That was kept from us forever, but by the time Mase was in the game it was common knowledge for damn every entertainer anywhere and everywhere...... He made a decision based on money and now regrets it. Shit, a muhfucka sold apple stock for a few thousand that would be worth a billion if he had kept it....so now I guess he gonna track down whoever bought it and beg them to sell it back on the cheap...niccas, I tell ya!