Jordan Peele new movie "Us" - updated with trailer (contains spoilers)

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Jason wasn't a double
He's just tethered and original mixed so he shares the traits

He knows his mom is the tethered at the end.

Yea Jason was just a weirdo, wasn't no double how the original Jason start moving like Spider-Man outta nowhere, he burned his face because he was probably trying that magic trick down there with matches, and how he know how to talk? None of the tethered knew how to talk.

How did he know the trick to leave the door unlocked and trick the "real Jason" into getting locked int the closet? Because he wasn't a tethered.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Yea Jason was just a weirdo, wasn't no double how the original Jason start moving like Spider-Man outta nowhere, he burned his face because he was probably trying that magic trick down there with matches, and how he know how to talk? None of the tethered knew how to talk.

How did he know the trick to leave the door unlocked and trick the "real Jason" into getting locked int the closet? Because he wasn't a tethered.

And his tethered copied him more than the others did easily
The curious kid in him watching himself is how he got him to burn himself in the fire

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I 'm still convinced Jason was tethered.
All of the tethers were hell bent on killing their human.
Pluto was NEVER aggressive toward Jason.
Jason killed Pluto on purpose because Jason was tethered.
Dude also had a rabbit in his lap on the ending scene riding home.
He was basically taking a piece of his former life back home with him.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Nah
They were given instructions to play and that's it.
Jason been to the house before that's how he knew the door closes the tether had not and was stuck inside
Mask on the tether copied Jason

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The stuff you’re saying is why he is tethered. The tethered Jason who is now above ground can’t do the magic trick. Every time he fucks it up the Jason in the ground gets burned. That’s why his face was fucked up.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Native Imagery of Jordan Peele’s Us, Explained
By Emmy Scott
22-us-ending-lupita.w700.h700.jpg

Photo: Claudette Barius/Universal Studios

A young girl wanders across a beach at night, her eyes drawn away from the crashing waves to a strange building that beckons to her: Shaman Vision Quest Forest, it reads. The 1980s funhouse has a hokey “Indian” theme, with a totem pole standing out front. A smaller sign with an arrow points down through the open entrance. “Find yourself,” it tells her. In she goes, to a hall of mirrors where she will, quite literally, find herself.

Right away, I understood this scene — one of the first in Jordan Peele’s new horror movie, Us — to be a sly nod to the many ways Native culture is misconstrued in mainstream culture. So many non-Native people who seize aspects of our spirituality often do so in an effort to “find themselves.” Hollywood, in particular, has a knack for distilling Native spiritual practices down to the onscreen equivalent of a Sephora smudge kit with white sage. In a movie explicitly based on the writer-director’s fear of American society, the decision to have the young girl descend into this particular funhouse felt extremely intentional.

From that point on, Us — a movie that’s sparked 1,000 theories and interpretations — became a story about Native appropriation for me. I watched as Little Adelaide walked into the funhouse only to be welcomed by a startling voice, that of a noble savage, the broken-English, one-with-nature, prophet trope. A mechanical owl popped out next, causing the girl to jump. Owls, for some tribes like the Diné, Lakota, and Hidatsa, are perceived to be messengers of death. (When a grown-up version of Adelaide encounters the owl years later, she makes sure to bash it in.)

major inspiration for his Get Out follow-up. In the Stanley Kubrick classic, the Torrance family car winds its way around the mountains until the ominous building comes into view. The image of the hotel, which we will later learn was built on “Indian burial ground,” looms large over Jack, Wendy, and Danny, foreshadowing its role as their central antagonist. Today, fans pore over the symbolism in The Shining, still hoping to find unclaimed Easter eggs. Peele, a student of horror, clearly wishes the Usaudience to do the same. And so I did.

I noticed the whistling … at night, which for the HoChunks and other tribes is ill-advised; parents and grandparents say that whistling after dark will call bad spirits. And, yup, sure enough! As soon as Adelaide whistles, she hears a whistle in return, coming from somewhere within this hall of mirrors. Suddenly, she sees the back of her tethered “twin,” a double that looks just like her. Twins are powerful figures in the stories of many Native tribes. The HoChunks have Hero Twins that fight monsters. The concept of duality is even represented in our ribbonwork designs that are mirror-image florals of contrasting colors. They represent a world seeking balance between light and dark, a struggle in Us, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
LEARN MORE »
The majority of Us takes place outside of Shaman Vision Quest Forest, but its image never really leaves our protagonist — or, more accurately, lets her go. Fast forward to that grown-up, present-day version of Adelaide (played by Lupita Nyong’o), who has unwillingly returned to the beach of her childhood. She sits in front of the waves next to a friend (Elisabeth Moss), who’s flipping through a magazine. She happens upon a page featuring a model wearing an “Indian” headdress, and that’s when Adelaide once again gets the feeling that something is wrong. Is it the funhouse, calling her back? She realizes her son, Jason, is missing, and she runs in the direction of the mirrors.

But the present-day version of the funhouse is different. The Shaman’s Vision Quest Forest of 1986, based on a mish-mash of real Native tribes and Hollywood tropes, is now Merlin’s Forest, based on a mythical European wizard. On the one hand, Peele’s decision to swap the names could be interpreted as a nod to horror’s history of setting stories like The Shining on a twisted portrayal of sacred “Indian” land. (Stephen King was a serial abuser of the Indian Burial Ground trope.) Although Peele packs his movies with nostalgic references, he has helped change the genre’s relationship to these recurring themes too; Merlin’s Forest puts fake white history in the funhouse instead. On the other hand, the hall of mirror’s transformation could reflect a grander American scheme. Does the erasure of the Shaman’s Vision Quest Forest mirror the ways the U.S. government has attempted, through policy and education initiatives, to deny the very existence of Native people? Either way, there is still a lone totem pole standing outside Merlin’s forest, suggesting that whatever transformation we’re seeing is not complete.

I choose to read the name change, and the movie on the whole, as commentary on settler colonialism. I openly laughed when Adelaide’s tethered double — a woman not subtly named Red, who’d just invaded Adelaide’s home — playfully cautioned her son, Pluto: “Try not to burn ourhouse down.” It played out like a perfect metaphor for settlers laying claim to Native land. If that’s not clear cut enough for you, the tethered come from underneath the funhouse, another allusion to horror’s persistent Indian burial ground trope. The way they lack language, eat raw meat, and move in an animalistic manner plays into the savage anxieties to which Native and Black people alike have been subjected. After having been forgotten and erased by their oppressors, the tethered literally rise up and create a Hands Across America-esque barricade with their bodies, creating a physical barrier not unlike the protests of Standing Rock and Ferguson.

Peele has made it clear that Us is not specifically a movie about race. And really, it isn’t. It’s about much more than that. The true genius of his work is that it allows us to see so many things in the hall of mirrors, including direct reflections of ourselves, our socioeconomic reality, our generational angst. The eeriness of his movie depends on which of his references and symbols grip audience members. In a way, the funhouse never really leaves us either.

In the end, we learn that the woman we’ve come to know as Red was born on the surface, and it was Adelaide, a tethered, who forcibly switched places with her double in that funhouse years ago. We are invited to be shocked, at both the idea of Adelaide’s “betrayal” and the fact that Red is now hellbent on committing mass genocide against the “original people.” But there were clues along the way, as many people have pointed out, tipping us off to Adelaide’s big secret. The biggest for me was when Adelaide asked Red, “Who are you people?” And Red answered in the truest way possible: “We are Americans.”

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The stuff you’re saying is why he is tethered. The tethered Jason who is now above ground can’t do the magic trick. Every time he fucks it up the Jason in the ground gets burned. That’s why his face was fucked up.

Could he EVER do the magic trick tho? He was just a nerd kid, and why would the real Jason fall for the trap? And how did he learn to talk so quickly? And why would he mimic the tethered Jason? The real Lupita didn't mimic the shadow Lupita...not how it works....she was underground but she had enough will power to start a rebellion because she was a REAL HUMAN.

I know this is a popular theory probably because Tariq mentioned it but when you think about it it makes zero sense....kid just be zoning out.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nah
They were given instructions to play and that's it.
Jason been to the house before that's how he knew the door closes the tether had not and was stuck inside
Mask on the tether copied Jason

And real people don't copy the tethered, notice Red NEVER copied her actions because she still had her will about her. The real Jason probably just doesn't have rhythm yet to snap his fingers like that. She let them up outta there because she wanted revenge rightfully so.

Last edited:

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Could he EVER do the magic trick tho? He was just a nerd kid, and why would the real Jason fall for the trap? And how did he learn to talk so quickly? And why would he mimic the tethered Jason? The real Lupita didn't mimic the shadow Lupita...not how it works....she was underground but she had enough will power to start a rebellion because she was a REAL HUMAN.

I know this is a popular theory probably because Tariq mentioned it but when you think about it it makes zero sense....kid just be zoning out.

First of all fuck Tariq ass. Yes before they were switched he could do the trick. The reason Jason could not do the trick is because he is the tether. Remember Pluto with the mask could strike and light the match. He could do it because he was the original Jason from above. They were switched a year earlier when grandma died. Remember who Jason walked to the building where the elevator was? Remember he also saw the 1111 bum guy on the beach who was also a tether. Notice he was not scared of him because he had seen him before down below. Remember in the beginning of the movie Jason said " kiss my anus" and his dad was like where did you learn that? Also remember him and the mom were fucking off beat on the song 5 on it. I don't even think Adelaide knew the song. I'd have to go back and see if she recognized it.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
First of all fuck Tariq ass. Yes before they were switched he could do the trick. The reason Jason could not do the trick is because he is the tether. Remember Pluto with the mask could strike and light the match. He could do it because he was the original Jason from above. They were switched a year earlier when grandma died. Remember who Jason walked to the building where the elevator was? Remember he also saw the 1111 bum guy on the beach who was also a tether. Notice he was not scared of him because he had seen him before down below. Remember in the beginning of the movie Jason said " kiss my anus" and his dad was like where did you learn that? Also remember him and the mom were fucking off beat on the song 5 on it. I don't even think Adelaide knew the song. I'd have to go back and see if she recognized it.

1) So what does that mean that he could strike the match? That means that he burned his face because he was down there doing that trick with real matches, how could they switch a year earlier and he knows how to actually talk? The doubles take a while to learn how to actually talk.

2) He saw the 1111 and wasn't scared of him because he was a weirdo kid like that, he said "kiss my anus" because earlier he said "This thing is kinda bullshit" at the table and decided to not use a curse word....I did that shit when I was little. He knew to not say kiss my ass....like that is a massive reach as to how he is a tethered.

3) He was off beat because he didn't know how to keep a beat, he was just a nerd kid.

And again how did you know he could do the trick before? Like it took a while for the real clone to even talk but clone Jason gonna come up and know how to talk and the real Jason all of a sudden is like Spider-Man/Nightcrawler

Again the clone copy's the actions of the real person....not the other way around. Red never copied the actions of Adelaide because she was a real person down there.

Now if you he was weird because he wasn't born via a vaginal birth.......we got a theory on our hands

Last edited:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
if we are to believe that jason was switched during the fire, then that means the tethered were above ground more than once. This was never hinted at. They were off beat because one, Ade is tethered, and two, jason is part tethered.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And his tethered copied him more than the others did easily
The curious kid in him watching himself is how he got him to burn himself in the fire

Textbook evil clone behavior, and he wanted to see the trick THAT BAD.....his mouth was burned but it wasn't melted shut (That would have been awesome but Peele is still a nigga so the studio still stingy with that budget).. he was even mirroring his hand motions....how is the "real Jason" gonna be the most animalistic/ super human out of all of them?

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
if we are to believe that jason was switched during the fire, then that means the tethered were above ground more than once. This was never hinted at. They were off beat because one, Ade is tethered, and two, jason is part tethered.

But Zora is part tethered too right? Maybe it had something to do with the vaginal birth.....but tethered Jason was pretty much the most inhuman one while legit Jason was just weird.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Bull to the jive.....Abraham had a legit chance to kill Gabe.....same goes for Zora and her clone.......the family was special but that's one of the weaker arguments....and dude had a bunny with him because he said he wanted a dog earlier.....it was pretty much the Apocalypse might as well let the kid have a pet.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Bull to the jive.....Abraham had a legit chance to kill Gabe.....same goes for Zora and her clone.......the family was special but that's one of the weaker arguments....and dude had a bunny with him because he said he wanted a dog earlier.....it was pretty much the Apocalypse might as well let the kid have a pet.
That's the thing I'm trying to understand.
The CAC family tethers went straight inside the house and killed them instantly.
Also all the other tethers on the news killed their humans instantly.
However Red's family had no sense of urgency to make their kills.
It seemed like they just wanted scare them and inflict punishment before going for the 'coup de grâce'.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The CAC family tethers went straight inside the house and killed them instantly.
It seemed like they just wanted scare them and inflict punishment before going for the 'coup de grâce'.

Because THIS family was special, she started the apocalypse/rebellion because she was the only human underground, she had free will. She wanted her double to suffer as much as possible....and pretty much took out a good chunk of the US population in the process

moufasa

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Agree
This was the major hole
The other tethered were savage but this one family kept messing about

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Cause they're only half tethered lol
Red is real remember?
They're different than every other family
The other tethers are mindless
Red's family is not.

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My Theory on US, I am sharing here first, I watched the movie last week and read some of the various Theories about the various meaning.
My initial take was it was a reflection of US (Middle and Upper Class Blacks) having a tethered self that we tend to ignore, leave behind in abandoned cities with out necessary resources like clean water and healthy food just your high fat fast food/chinese takeout drug infested liquor store posions inadequate education system and lack of jobs that keep some of US from aspiring to "Best" version of yourself. Chasing the White rabbit is also a metaphor for chasing the Cocaine/Crack high (Alice in Wonderland)

It also serves as a reminder that while we are living this lifestyle at any giving moment through loss of a Job, a sudden illness or an family addiction we could be in the abandoned or in tunnels or vice versa if one of Us giving the same opportunities as a middle or upper class citizen we can live a "successful" and "normal" life. However the Government only allows a select few of us to reach this level. It gives us hopes and dreams and squashes any chance of an uprising of the underclass.

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Theory two
Peele is showing US the audience of how our tethered self is to these cellphones. The Governement experiment is the creation of the internet

it was created to connect everybody across America and the world.
however the internet have becoming a way for the government to have mind control and create a world of Zombies constantly staring into the electronic devices. They monitor our locations, who we associate with and our behavioral habits in a controlled environment (websites)
The Tunnels and abandoned subway are a metaphor for today's Society have you been to a mall retail store or even your local bar all are empty. People have less and less interaction, No one looks away from their phone to have a conversation. The point of Hands Across America was a social concept to help one another eradicate homeless.
However now we only meet up on Social media that's when our tethered self come out we are constant on Social media to tear one another down or "cut" them
down (Trolling)

Peele uses the number 1111 through out the movie to not only have the biblical meaning but also see the various meanings of 1111 below.
I believe the movie is also a social construct on how use and are used in this digital age.

Balance: Your life is either gaining or becoming more in balance when you see 11:11. This might also be an affirmation that your life is in complete balance as well.

Binary DNA Code: The brain is like a computer, which relies on binary codes (1’s and 0’s). In this premise, 11:11 is the binary code that awakens your dormant (junk) DNA.

Digital Time Code: This theory encapsulates several theories within the same premise. 11:11 unlocks your DNA and opens the subconscious mind through physically seeing these digital numbers and re-remembering why your brain was coded to remember the importance of 11:11.

DNA Activation: The number 11 represents twin strands of DNA, so for some people, this is a sign of a DNA activation or upgrade.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The drawing of the back of the other Jason's head sealed it for me.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ya do know that Jason had the most unique tether "right"... He used fire, he set traps, he moved way diff than the others, he wore a mask, he didn't have scissors... You know why cause mask Jason was the real jason...none of his actions were the same of any other tether... Notice the mother and son were the most diff out of all tether... Cause they were pretty much the only two humans... The Jason from above was next level weird from his random comments, to his off beat, to him building sand "tunnels", to him not being able to use a fucking lighter, his sister mentioning him "disappearing", him putting doorstops down like he was afraid to get "lost", him not being scared around killers, to him saying it's "us", to his clothing arrangements, to him always rocking a mask.... So either ya saying peele made the most dumbest character ever or the kid was obviously a clone... Jason is the shittiest character ever made if he suppose to be human

moufasa

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because the head of this family was a original human and not a mindless clone

I get that that’s what we are supposed to believe
But the dad and daughter are trying to kill their targets all through the movie

I guess I just get cynical when movies do these long drawn out fighting scenes for one group but fast and efficient for others

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I get that that’s what we are supposed to believe
But the dad and daughter are trying to kill their targets all through the movie

I guess I just get cynical when movies do these long drawn out fighting scenes for one group but fast and efficient for others

Was they really tho? Remember Abraham had a chance to kill Gabe, Umbrae was just playing cat and mouse with Zora....the head of the family had been plotting revenge for years so they were going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What are you trying to say? This went over people's heads?
No the truth is, the movie didn't execute its thoughts and story properly.
There are alot of plot holes and references not explained in the movie.
Sorry but good film making is told in a certain way and structure.
He tried hard but he didn't do the best job at it. Hence the confusion and criticism.

I see why over the years they've just made hood movies for Blacks to watch and enjoy smh