The Girly Thread Redux...

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

The 30-Day Butt Challenge That Seriously Sculpts Your Booty

Need to get your butt in shape? Oh, do we have a butt challenge for you. Jeanette Jenkins, celebrity trainer and creator of The Hollywood Trainer Club, put together the ultimate booty-sculpting plan that sculpts and burns—like...

This butt challenge is broken up into six 5-day sequences: (1) floor exercises, (2) squats, (3) ballet-inspired moves (they look beautiful but feel brutal), (4) lunges, (5) lateral moves, and (6) explosive exercises. The first day of each sequence, you'll only do one exercise. But on the second day, you'll do exercises from both Day 1 and Day 2. On Day 3, you'll do the exercises from Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. So by Day 5, you're doing five exercises. Then, you'll start the next sequence the same way. Get it? If you still feel sore from the previous day, feel free to take a rest day! You'll hit every move at the end of each series.

In addition to your daily butt exercise(s!), you'll also do a cardio move of your choice for 30 seconds before each move. So, yes, that means five cardio bursts on Day 5. Jenkins suggests high-knee sprints, mountain climbers, pendulum swings, jumping jacks, and burpees. Yes, you get to choose, but don't skimp out on those burpees. You're better than that.

(Visit Jeanette Jenkins at The Hollywood Trainer Club for more intense workouts!)

ButtChallengeCalendar.jpg

The 30-Day Butt Challenge

Day 1

Day 1: Floor It
Shoulder Bridge to Single-Leg Bridge

• Lying on your back, feet planted flat on the floor, thrust hips into air.
  • Do 25 thrusts.
  • Lift one leg in the air; do 25 more reps.
  • Lift other leg in the air; do 25 reps.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 2

1000-2-kneelingbackkicks.jpg

Photo: Patrick Connolly

Day 2: Floor It
Kneeling Back Kick to Swimming

• Kneeling on all fours, kick one leg straight behind you.
  • Do 25 reps on each side.
  • Lying facedown, lift arms and legs off the floor.
  • Move your arms and legs in a flutter-like motion for 8 to 10 breaths.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 3

1000-3-kneelingbackkicktosidelift.jpg

Day 3: Floor It
Kneeling Back Kick to Side-Lift

• Kneeling on all fours, kick one leg straight behind you.
  • Bring back to center, then lift leg out to the side, hinging from the hips.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 4

1000-4-kneelingroundhouse-008.jpg

Day 4: Floor It
Kneeling Roundhouse Kicks

• Kneeling on all fours, do a roundhouse kick out to the side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 5

ramp_thumb_112934323_t1454342292.png

Day 5: Floor It
Kneeling Leg Lift to Isometric Diagonal Hold

• Kneeling on all fours, lift one leg up to the ceiling, keeping it straight and bending your arms so your face is near the floor.
  • Pulse leg up and down for 25 reps.
  • On the 25th rep, lower chest to floor, leg in the air.
  • Hold for 30 seconds.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 6

Day 6: Drop It Like It's Squat
Squat with a Diagonal Reach

• Start with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
  • Bring your hands to your left foot as you perform a squat.
  • Rising from squat position, reach arms up to the sky on your right side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 7

1000-7-squattobackleglift-2.jpg

Day 7: Drop It Like It's Squat
Squat to Back Leg Lift

• Perform a squat, lifting your leg out behind you on your way back up.
  • Switch legs with every rep.
  • Do 2 sets of 30 reps.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 8

1000-8-squatjumps.jpg

Day 8: Drop It Like It's Squat
Squat Jumps

• Starting in squat position, bring fingertips to the floor.
  • Jump up, reaching hands to the sky.
  • Do 3 sets of 25 reps.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 9

1000-9-squatsidetaps.jpg

Day 9: Drop It Like It's Squat
Squat Side Taps

• Remaining in squat position, tap one leg out to the side and bring back to center.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 10

ramp_thumb_xidWVqZTE6l3NLXBh9olUfZ7gvVlgLrh_t_1519917581.jpg

Day 10: Drop It Like It's Squat
Squat Lateral Shuffle

• Starting in squat position, shuffle 3 times to the right and touch the ground.
  • Shuffle 3 times to the left and touch the ground.
  • That's 1 rep. Do 3 sets of 10.
Nailed It! Share Now

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Day 11

Day 11: Ballet All Day
Bent Squat

• Perform a squat with feet wide apart, toes turned out, heels down.
  • Do 25 reps.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 12

1000-12-squeeze.jpg

Day 12: Ballet All Day
Folded Squeeze

• Starting with heels together, step out to the side and lower into a squat.
  • Return to center and repeat on the same side.
  • Do 20 reps on each side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 13

1000-13-plie-squat-toes_0.jpg

Day 13: Ballet All Day
Plié Squat on Toes

• Perform a plié squat with one heel off the ground.
  • Lift both heels off the ground and continue squatting for another 25 reps.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 14

1000-14-arabesque-27.jpg

Day 14: Ballet All Day
Arabesque

• Standing on right leg, extend left leg and right arm.
  • Pulse leg up and down.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 15

ramp_thumb_112934400_t1454342579.png

Day 15: Ballet All Day
Arabesque to Warrior III

• Perform the arabesque exercise for 25 reps.
  • On the same side, move into warrior III (stand on one leg and hold arms straight out in front of you so that your body forms a T shape).
  • Hold for 30 seconds.
  • Repeat on other side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 16

Day 16: Step It Up
Reverse Lunge with Front Kick

• Step right leg back into a reverse lunge, punch arms forward.
  • Kick right leg in front of you as you return to standing, moving arms to sides.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 17

1000-17-reverselunge-kick-deadlift.jpg

Day 17: Step It Up
Reverse Lunge to Front Kick to Single Leg Deadlift

• Step right leg back into a reverse lunge, punching arms forward.
  • Kick right leg in front of you as you return to standing, moving arms to sides.
  • Remaining standing on your left leg, reach hands to toes to perform a deadlift as your right leg swings behind you.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 18

1000-18-chairposetoreverselunge.jpg

Day 18: Step It Up
Chair Pose to Alternating Reverse Lunge

• Standing with feet together, bend knees as if you're sitting in a chair.
  • Bring leg back to a reverse lunge.
  • Continue alternating legs for 30 reps.
  • Do 2 sets.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 19

1000-19-chairposebuttburner.jpg

Day 19: Step It Up
Chair Pose Butt Burner

• Starting in chair pose, step left leg out to the side.
  • Return to center.
  • Step left leg behind you.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 20

ramp_thumb_112934759_t1454345103.png

Day 20: Step It Up
Chair Pose Side Steps

• Begin in chair pose, arms out in front of you.
  • Staying low in chair pose, take a giant step to your right, then quickly to your left.
  • Do 20 reps.
  • Repeat side-step motion for an additional 30 reps, imagining you are jumping over a box to up the intensity.
Nailed It! Share Now

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Day 21

Day 21: Let's Get Lateral
Skate

• Starting in squat position, step to your right leg to the right, sliding your left leg behind you, reaching your left arm across your torso.
  • Jump to your left side, bringing your right leg back behind you.
  • Do 50 reps total.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 22

1000-22-cros-torso-touch.jpg

Day 22: Let's Get Lateral
Skate with a Cross Torso Floor Touch

• Repeat the same skaters from Day 21, touching the ground with each rep.
  • Do 50 reps total.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 23

1000-23-sidelungetobalancehold.jpg

Day 23: Let's Get Lateral
Side Lunge to Balance Hold

• Lunge out to your right side.
  • Return to center, bringing your right knee up to a 90-degree angle and lifting arms in the air.
  • Continue on right side for 25 reps.
  • Repeat on left side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 24

1000-24-sidelungetoouterthighlifts.jpg

Day 24: Let's Get Lateral
Side Lunge to Outer Thigh Leg Lifts

• Lunge out to your right side, then return to center lifting your arms up to the sky.
  • Do 20 reps.
  • Lifting arms up to form a T, lift right leg straight out to your right side.
  • Do 20 reps.
  • Repeat on other side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 25

ramp_thumb_RqdWVqZTE6wH3YPN-9AaZj73g5fKocut_t_1519918018.jpg

Day 25: Let's Get Lateral
Side Lunge to Warrior III Hold

• Lunge out to your right side, then return to center lifting your arms up to the sky.
  • Do 20 reps.
  • Standing on left leg, hold warrior III position for 30 seconds.
  • Repeat on other side.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 26

Day 26: Kick Into High Gear
Double Snap Kicks

• Turning hips so they're square with left foot, bring right leg up to a roundhouse kick.
  • Kick quickly slightly lower than hip height, then bring as high as you can for a second kick.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 27

1000-27-sidekicks.jpg

Day 27: Kick Into High Gear
Side Kicks

• Bringing knee to hip height, push out to a side kick.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 28

1000-28-balancing-backkicks.jpg

Day 28: Kick Into High Gear
Balancing Back Kicks

• Assume chair pose.
  • Keeping weight on left leg, kick right foot back behind you.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 29

1000-29-plank-walkups.jpg

Day 29: Kick Into High Gear
Plank Walk-Ups R & L

• Assume plank position.
  • Bring left foot up to your hands and follow with right foot, so you're in squat position.
  • Step back into plank, leading with left foot.
  • Repeat for 10 reps, leading with left foot.
  • Switch for 10 reps, leading with right foot.
Nailed It! Share Now
Day 30

1000-30-jacks.jpg

Day 30: Kick Into High Gear
Jumping Jacks and Power Jacks

• Perform 3 traditional jumping jacks.
  • Jump higher on the fourth for a "power jack."
  • Repeat 15 times.
Nailed It! Share Now

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I'm putting this here as I figure the menfolk will get triggered on the main board.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I Left My Husband & My Hair In 2017
Keisha Marie
Mar. 13, 2018 07:30PM EST

"So you just gon' leave your hair and your husband in 2017?!"

I couldn't help but to burst out laughing as I looked back at my big sister's face on my phone screen. It showed a hilarious mixture of shock and amusement as we had an impromptu FaceTime sesh' that December day. I had just posted a not-so mysterious Snap on my Facebook page. All you could see in the photo frame was a pile of freshly cut hair in a sink and bold words that read, "So, I did a thing…"

Two months after choosing to separate from my husband, I had decided to chop my hair off.

980x.gif

And yes, the cut was most certainly symbolic.

At this point, only my close friends and family knew what was going on and no one took me seriously. The hair I was carrying on my head sprouted at the same time our relationship blossomed. It carried the memories of our love when it was unassuming and new. But it also carried the pain I began to feel as our relationship aged, and it kept getting heavier and heavier until that day in December when I decided to let it all go. When I chose to let go of my hair, I was also letting go of my marriage, which I realized had stopped serving me a long time ago.

The early years of our relationship were the sweetest, even without much romance. We were sharing our college experience and falling in love to a backdrop of weed, fast food, and normal young adult nonsense. I noticed that he showed very few signs of being ready for a real relationship but I figured that would change over time. We were having fun together and that was all I needed at the time. When he didn't even bat an eye after I chopped my hair into a Pixie cut and then transitioned to natural hair all in our first year dating, I was convinced he was the one!

980x.gif

In hindsight, I placed way too much value on how he handled my first big chop and didn't pay enough attention to signs that things may not have been as sweet as I thought they were.

As we approached our one year mark of dating, he took a few involuntary vacations, we had blown through tons of my money with no real plan and the romance was non-existent. But he still complimented me on my twist-outs, praised my natural beauty and wasn't a complete ass-hole, so in my mind that was good enough. It was so good in fact, that I decided to marry him despite the glaring red flags that maybe we weren't even close to ready.

My coping mechanisms for life's bullshit are to smile bigger, find the rainbows and sunshine, and suppress like crazy.

980x.gif

This got me through many trying times, but it also made it easier for me to deal with much more than I should have in my marriage. Not even a year after exchanging vows my with husband, I wrote this passage in an old journal:

"I mean, I feel like I'm the only one bustin' my butt tryna make us get to a happy place, but all he's concerned about is hoopin' & eatin...All I want to see is that he cares for & loves me more than he loves himself but all I've got to show for our love is this notebook!"
The frivolity of our relationship was revealing itself early on and I can recall numerous talks we had over the years about what he wasn't providing or changes I felt we needed to make as a unit. Unfortunately though, all of those pleas fell on deaf ears, even after having our two children in the 2nd and 4th year of our marriage. And despite this, I kept on smiling and being foolishly optimistic with no real evidence of things changing.

In 2016, the resentment and unhappiness I had suppressed for so long began to surface. I tried to ignore it but as I poured all the love I had into my two children, and my husband, I started to feel how much I was missing within myself.

One morning in October, I had finally woken up to how bad things were in our life together. As I drove him to work, I made a comment to him about his attitude and treatment of the women in his life and he immediately dismissed it. I looked at him and saw the irritation etched into his face and for a split second, I believed that I was wrong. That thought faded quickly though. I had to stop and ask myself how could someone I had given nothing but unconditional love to be so aloof to my feelings and the battles I was so obviously fighting?

980x.gif

A few days later, I finally worked up the courage to tell him we needed to separate.
My mind was made up and now his pleas were falling on deaf ears. I was done ignoring the early red flags simply because at least he loved my natural hair. I no longer believed that I could teach him how to give me the romance I was craving, or that I could make him really believe in my vision once I started making real money from my hustles. I knew that the only thing we could do at this point was to separate and he was not going to convince me otherwise.

It was one of the hardest decisions I have made yet, but one that I am proudest of.
I finally found the courage to stand up for myself and act on the feeling in my gut telling me I deserved better.

Fast forward to December. During our separation, I was forced to really think about my hair and how much I hid behind it in both the literal and physical sense. The confidence that I felt in my natural hair journey was superficial because it developed from my husband's approval. It felt forced and I felt like a fraud.

So on that December night, I placed my hair in six twists and cut them off one by one at the roots without a second thought. I remember the fear I felt in my heart as I was twisting my hair just melting away as I looked in the mirror and saw a shell of the woman I thought I would become. I knew that once I cut my hair I would really be cutting off any connection to the lies I had been telling myself over the years. I would finally begin the real process of healing. As I cut off each twist, I felt lighter and lighter and knew this was just what I needed.

980x.gif

I left my husband and my hair in 2017.
While I never saw it coming, it wasn't because the signs weren't there. For years, I practically begged for romance, for him to take the lead in our lives, for him to push me and be as supportive of my dreams as I was of his, but to no avail. We rarely had the really hard conversations and when we did, there was a lack of change afterward. He took me for granted and gave me a surface level love that was just enough to make me content.

So with my choice to cut my hair and make a bold move to serve myself, I also made the courageous choice to leave behind complacency in my love life. I chose to do what I needed in order to fall in love with my damn self so that I could honor the woman I once was and who I was striving to be.

http://www.xonecole.com/i-left-my-husband-my-hair-in-2017/

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Currently free:
Self Discovery Journal for Women: 365 Thought-Provoking Questions for Self-Exploration, Gratitude, and a Life Full of Magic (Guided Prompt Journal Book 2) Kindle Edition

51eWdmLrB4L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Self-Discovery-Journal-Women-Thought-Provoking-ebook/dp/B07BLM2LB2/

Femininity can be an extremely spiritual experience...

but it often turns ugly when life’s pressures get in the way. While a woman dons a brave hat to face what the world throws at her, she often fights ugly demons inside her head. While she puts on a happy smile on her beautiful face, she is often weighed down with emotions, trying hard not to let them surface.

While we unconsciously seek love, acceptance and understanding from the world around us, we often fail to look in the one place we can truly find it – in ourselves.

This guided prompt and question journal attempts to dig deep into your feminine psyche, begin an enriching process of self-discovery and help you experience a new level of awareness and understanding about yourself. In the coming pages, a collection of 365 thought provoking, bucket-list questions will force you to think beyond what is obvious to you and bring forth beautiful gems of knowledge and wisdom about yourself.

This new-found information and knowledge about yourself will open doors to new possibilities and experiences, and transform your life in a positive, steady way. The questions are varied – some may delight you, while others may evoke a strong emotional response. Nevertheless, all of them will get your creative juices flowing.

Are you ready?

Amazon product ASIN B07BLM2LB2

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Hair-straightening products contain potentially toxic mix
Ronnie Cohen
5 Min Read

(Reuters Health) - Hair products used primarily by black women and children contain a host of hazardous chemicals, a new study shows.

The findings could explain at least in part why African-American women go through puberty earlier and suffer from higher rates of asthma and reproductive diseases than other groups.

“The truly scary thing about this is that women are being exposed to these chemicals weekly and sometimes even daily, without their knowledge, because they assume a product is safe simply because it is on the shelf,” epidemiologist Tamarra James-Todd said after reviewing the report in Environmental Research. James-Todd, a professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, supplied product information for the study but was not directly involved with the research.

Investigators tested 18 hair products - from hot-oil treatments to anti-frizz polishes, relaxers and conditioners - looking for the presence of chemicals called endocrine disrupters. These chemicals, which interfere with the way the body produces hormones, have been linked to reproductive disorders, birth defects, asthma and cancer.

Altogether, the researchers looked for 66 different endocrine disrupters. Each of the tested hair products contained at least four and as many as 30, said lead author Jessica Helm, a research fellow at the Silent Spring Institute in Newton, Massachusetts.

Eleven products contained chemicals prohibited in the European Union or flagged as a potential problem in California. The two hair products marketed to children contained the highest levels of banned or regulated chemicals, Helm said in a phone interview.

The vast majority of the chemicals discovered in the hair products - 84 percent - were not listed on the product labels.

“It’s widely known the U.S. is doing an inadequate job of testing and regulating chemicals,” Helm said. Companies are allowed to omit chemicals from product labels if they are fragrances and if they are considered a secret ingredient in the product formula.

“In many ways, we are protecting companies’ rights to privacy over consumers’ health, which seems backwards and can be particularly harmful to high-risk and vulnerable populations,” James-Todd said in an email.

Janette Robinson Flint, executive director of Black Women for Wellness in Los Angeles, said the study’s findings are proof that she and other black women “can’t shop our way out of this problem.”

“We also need manufacturers to disclose what’s in the products,” said Flint, who was not involved in the study. “We need some regulatory body to regulate these manufacturers so they don’t let them get away with not disclosing what is in the product and then using toxic products.”

She called the study long overdue. Researchers have known for years that black girls enter puberty earlier than other girls and that black women have disproportionately higher rates of deadly reproductive cancers, she said. Yet little prior research has been done.

“It’s as if our lives do not matter,” she said in a phone interview.

Helm pointed out that she and her team studied only 66 chemicals, just a fraction of those in hair products. There’s a “universe of other products we really don’t know much about,” she said.

Prior research has shown that black women use more hair products than other women and suffer disproportionately from uterine fibroids, early puberty and infertility, Helm said. In addition, their rates of endometrial and breast cancers are on the rise.

The current study can’t prove that the presence of endocrine disrupting chemicals in hair products actually causes these or other problems. But the study does point to them as a potential source, Helm said.

She, James-Todd and Flint encouraged more regulation of the contents of hair products targeted to black women and personal-care products in general. Senators Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Dianne Feinstein (D-California) have introduced legislation (the Personal Care Products Safety Act) that would further empower the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate ingredients in cosmetics and personal-care products.

Flint also welcomed a fashion trend toward more natural hairstyles for black women and children.

“The more natural styles come into fashion, and the more skills black moms have in styling their children’s hair in natural hairstyles, the less vulnerable our children will be to overexposure to toxic chemicals and having their immune systems compromised by having to fight these toxic chemicals,” she said.

SOURCE: bit.ly/2w1LlxH Environmental Research, online April 25, 2018.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-contain-potentially-toxic-mix-idUSKCN1IF2ND
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118301518

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Natural Hair Bias Is the Latest Tool Being Used to Criminalize Black Girls, Marginalize Black Women

In Malden, Mass., the long-simmering argument of how appropriate it is for African-American women to style their hair as they choose hit a new crescendo. In an attempt to, as the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School interim director said, “… promotes equity by focusing on what unites and by reducing visible gaps between those of different means,” the school placed a restriction on hair thickness and extensions that seemed to directly contradict U.S. Department of Justice guidelines on race-based policies.

This policy and its uneven enforcement — the school rarely, for example, punishes students for hair color, another dress-code violation — led to the repeat suspensions of African-American female students. Singled out were Mya and Deanna Cook, who have received more than 16 hours’ detention, were removed from their team sports and banned from their proms — all for having braided hair. This has, since the breaking of this story, led to a letter of condemnation from the state’s Attorney General Office, a lawsuit from the ACLU and the school district suspending the controversial policy.

“The policy specifically prohibits ‘shaved lines or shaved sides’ as examples of drastic or unnatural hairstyles, and ‘hair more than 2 inches in thickness or ‘height’’ as an example of hair that is distracting and thus not allowed,” Genevieve Nadeau, the chief of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Division of Civil Rights, wrote.

“These prohibitions appear to specifically reference hairstyles such as ‘fades’ that are commonly worn by Black male students, and ‘afros’ that are most likely to be worn by Black students (both male and female). These styles are not simply fashion choices or trends, but, in addition to occurring naturally in many cases, can be important expressions of racial culture, heritage, and identity.”

Cases such as the one in Mystic Valley seem to go beyond cultural insensitivity and constitute an implicit attack on African-American females’ right to be who they are. A 16-year-old Black student in Montverde, Fla., who happens to have naturally curly hair, was told recently that her hair was a violation of the school’s “no dreadlock” dress-code policy. In 2013, a 12-year-old in Orlando, Fla., was told to either straighten or cut her puffy hair or face expulsion. The student, at the time, was being subjected to bullying by her classmates for her hair.

As profiled by the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at the Ohio State University, African-American students are more likely to be removed from instruction than their white counterparts for minor infractions such as dress code violations due to implicit bias. In one cited example, Black students in North Carolina public schools were six times more likely to be suspended than white students for dress-code violations. These offenses are, in less-served schools, typically handed over to the police to handle.

This prosecution of Black hair amounts to the criminalization of being African-American. Attacking one class for what would be acceptable with another constitutes not just a mentality that seems to persist and proliferate through miseducation and lack of positive exposure but also an open-ended attack on what it means to be oneself.

“These attacks leave a very dangerous and destructive message,” Carlota Zimmerman, a career and lifestyle coach, said. “To be told by your teachers, adults, by your society that your hair, as it is naturally, is ‘wrong,’ or ‘inappropriate’ for school, that you should change yourself to be deemed worthy to get an education, to get opportunities? We’re sending a terrible message to our Black youths that as they are is wrong. As they are is not fit to be educated, to be valued, to contribute. This message destroys lives since our lives are based on our self-confidence, on our sense of self, our sense of value.”

Black Hair Discrimination
In order to understand this controversy, a few points must be made clear. To start, most women have a natural hair state. Unless descended from specific Native American, Asiatic and Western European ethnicities, most women’s hair — when left to its own volition — will take on a curly, fizzy, wavy or otherwise voluminous state. The 2012 Disney movie “Brave,” for example, took a good deal of flak on social media for showing a Scottish “Disney Princess” with a full mane of frizzy red hair.

Women’s hair care is a multi-billion-dollar global industry. The daily maintenance and personal expense needed to keep hair at a publicly acceptable level are one of the greatest headaches women deal with as part of their daily routine.

“There’s no such thing as ‘wake up and go,’” an uncredited Black woman is reported saying, per Kovie Biakolo. “Whether I wear my hair naturally, curly or straightened via flatiron, making it presentable is a process. When it’s curly, it gets dry very quickly and goes flat after a day or two. I have to re-wet, moisturize, comb and brush almost every day to keep the curls looking healthy and full. When it’s straight, I have to touch up my hair with a flatiron even to wear it in a ponytail. That’s not to mention the process of straightening it in the first place, which is nearly two hours of washing, blow drying and straightening.

“This upkeep doesn’t sound like much, but all this work brings my hair nothing close to white standards of beauty,” she continued. “I fight with and destroy my hair to get it to look as close as possible to a standard I know it will never achieve because it’s just not in its nature. But what’s the alternative?”

While hair struggles are a natural part of being a woman, rarely does this warrant more than odd looks outside the Black experience. While non-conforming hairstyles might be brushed aside as a fashion faux pas or a non-event if done by a non-Black woman, when Black women wear hairstyles that don’t conform to “white standards,” it can lead to job terminations, school suspensions and even arrests.

Take, for example, 2014. On March 31 of that year, the Army announced that it has updated its appearance and grooming policy. The policy, known as AR 670-1, banned cornrows, braids, twists and dreadlocks, arguing that these hairstyles interfere with the fitting of essential equipment, such as combat helmets. This turned out to be ironic, as most of the women affected by this policy chose these hairstyles to reduce the maintenance time needed and to be more “combat-ready.” The policy was overturned shortly thereafter.

Since the inception of the country, Black hair has been linked to negative stereotypes about being African-American. “Hair type rapidly became the real symbolic badge of slavery, although, like many powerful symbols, it was disguised, in this case by the linguistic device of using the term ‘Black,’ which nominally threw the emphasis to color,” Harvard sociologist Orlando Patterson wrote in his book “Slavery and Social Death.” “No one who has grown up in a multiracial society, however, is unaware of the fact that hair difference is what carries the real symbolic potency.”

“These attacks on Afrocentric styles and fashions are unfortunately definitely not new. I was speaking to a Black female friend who, in the 1960s, did some modeling with the likes of Richard Roundtree of ‘Shaft’ fame, and she was telling me stories that were interchangeable from today,” Zimmerman added. “Racism has all the time in the world. I think the difference is nowadays with social media, these attacks are getting far more attention, and also due to social media, more people of color are finding comfort and strength in accepting themselves as they are. So, there’s less tolerance and much more public anger.

“When you factor in our first Black president, police shootings of Black men, I think many people of color see these attacks upon women’s hair similar to physical assault.”

The Bias against Natural Hair
In 2016, the Perception Institute conducted an online study into how perceptions of African-American women are influenced by explicit and implicit biases toward their hair. The study was inspired in part by SheaMoisture’s 2016 “Break the Walls” campaign, which challenged retailers’ traditional position of separating hair products by race, with nonwhite products being delegated to the “ethnic” section. By segregating products meant for women of color, there may be a subliminal message that ethnic hair is somehow different from “normal hair.”

To test this, the Perception Institute tested users for implicit and explicit biases by showing photos of a single model wearing both straight and “natural” wigs and asking what words and phrases come to mind when they see the photos.

The study found:

• Black women that consider themselves naturalistas are the most positive about textured or natural hair, seeing it as “beautiful,” “sexy” and “professional” at a greater amount than any other population, including other Black women;
  • Black women remain sensitive of social stigma surrounding textured hair;
  • Millennials are more accepting of natural hair than any other women in the sample;
  • Black women are more anxious about their hair than White women;
  • Ruining their hair is the excuse for a third of all surveyed Black women skipping exercise;
  • Twice the number of Black women feel pressured to straighten their hair for work than white women;
  • Black women invest more time-wise and in actual expense in their hair than white women; and
  • White women are more likely to be explicitly biased against Black hair compared to “smooth” hair, finding it to be “less attractive,” “less beautiful’ and “less professional.”
“It is curious that the study found millennials to be the most accommodating to textured hair,” Alexis McGill Johnson, the executive director of the Perception Institute, said. “This is significant because even if most of us would say that an afro is beautiful to a survey, we’ve taken in so many social cues about hair that it is hard to escape media about it. These millennials have been involved in online communities, replacing the cultural knowledge we have lost in the decades we have been straightening our hair and creating reaffirming images that helped replace the negative schemas.”

girl-347850-300x200.jpg

The road toward breaking down the implicit biases against natural hair starts with a reflection of one’s personal bias. (Courtesy: Pixabay/cherylholt)

The Enemy in the Mirror
The bottom line with hair bias is that, for many, it is veiled racism. Textured hair reminds the prejudiced viewer of Black culture and draws an unthinking reaction. There may be no convenient solution to implicit racism except to expose it at every opportunity.

There is another component to hair bias, however, which could be combatted. To illustrate this, let us take, for example, the former first lady Michelle Obama. When she entered the White House, she had heavily processed “smooth” hair. To the casual viewer, she met the visual expectation of a successful, professional Black woman — well coifed, well dressed and well spoken. When, while on vacation, she allowed her hair to go natural, the criticism she received, despite changing nothing else of her public persona, was severe.

This is even more shocking in retrospect considering she has been seen wearing her hair naturally more often, to the Internet’s acclaim, since leaving the White House.

Since the time of slavery, natural, “nappy” hair was seen as being more undesirable than hair that mirrors Eurocentric styles. Unprocessed, non-straight hair suggested the person was uncivilized, uneducated or somehow dangerous. To be accepted, African-American women (and men) not only subjected themselves to hot combs, lye-based hair treatments and a host of other hazardous treatments, but they also taught their daughters to do the same. This is reflected in the oft-repeated unwritten rule, “Straighten your hair for the interview, wear it natural once you are through the door.”

This notion that success and beauty are connected to straight hair still proliferates in the media. Many of the role models for African-American women have chemically processed straight hair because it is what they were told was needed to be taken seriously. Entire generation – both white and Black – have seen the allegedly most successful and socially acceptable among Black women wear their hair straight and formed an association between straight hair and Black success and Black beauty. This is how implicit bias is born.

As pointed out in the article Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America, various African tribes adapted elaborate hair braiding patterns as a messaging and identification schema as early as the 15th century. One of the ways slavers would break newly captured enslaved women of their identities was to shave their heads.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/06...minalize-black-girls-marginalize-black-women/

whoa...this is a strong piece.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Natural Hair Bias Is the Latest Tool Being Used to Criminalize Black Girls, Marginalize Black Women

In Malden, Mass., the long-simmering argument of how appropriate it is for African-American women to style their hair as they choose hit a new crescendo. In an attempt to, as the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School interim director said, “… promotes equity by focusing on what unites and by reducing visible gaps between those of different means,” the school placed a restriction on hair thickness and extensions that seemed to directly contradict U.S. Department of Justice guidelines on race-based policies.

This policy and its uneven enforcement — the school rarely, for example, punishes students for hair color, another dress-code violation — led to the repeat suspensions of African-American female students. Singled out were Mya and Deanna Cook, who have received more than 16 hours’ detention, were removed from their team sports and banned from their proms — all for having braided hair. This has, since the breaking of this story, led to a letter of condemnation from the state’s Attorney General Office, a lawsuit from the ACLU and the school district suspending the controversial policy.

“The policy specifically prohibits ‘shaved lines or shaved sides’ as examples of drastic or unnatural hairstyles, and ‘hair more than 2 inches in thickness or ‘height’’ as an example of hair that is distracting and thus not allowed,” Genevieve Nadeau, the chief of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Division of Civil Rights, wrote.

“These prohibitions appear to specifically reference hairstyles such as ‘fades’ that are commonly worn by Black male students, and ‘afros’ that are most likely to be worn by Black students (both male and female). These styles are not simply fashion choices or trends, but, in addition to occurring naturally in many cases, can be important expressions of racial culture, heritage, and identity.”

Cases such as the one in Mystic Valley seem to go beyond cultural insensitivity and constitute an implicit attack on African-American females’ right to be who they are. A 16-year-old Black student in Montverde, Fla., who happens to have naturally curly hair, was told recently that her hair was a violation of the school’s “no dreadlock” dress-code policy. In 2013, a 12-year-old in Orlando, Fla., was told to either straighten or cut her puffy hair or face expulsion. The student, at the time, was being subjected to bullying by her classmates for her hair.

As profiled by the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at the Ohio State University, African-American students are more likely to be removed from instruction than their white counterparts for minor infractions such as dress code violations due to implicit bias. In one cited example, Black students in North Carolina public schools were six times more likely to be suspended than white students for dress-code violations. These offenses are, in less-served schools, typically handed over to the police to handle.

This prosecution of Black hair amounts to the criminalization of being African-American. Attacking one class for what would be acceptable with another constitutes not just a mentality that seems to persist and proliferate through miseducation and lack of positive exposure but also an open-ended attack on what it means to be oneself.

“These attacks leave a very dangerous and destructive message,” Carlota Zimmerman, a career and lifestyle coach, said. “To be told by your teachers, adults, by your society that your hair, as it is naturally, is ‘wrong,’ or ‘inappropriate’ for school, that you should change yourself to be deemed worthy to get an education, to get opportunities? We’re sending a terrible message to our Black youths that as they are is wrong. As they are is not fit to be educated, to be valued, to contribute. This message destroys lives since our lives are based on our self-confidence, on our sense of self, our sense of value.”

Black Hair Discrimination
In order to understand this controversy, a few points must be made clear. To start, most women have a natural hair state. Unless descended from specific Native American, Asiatic and Western European ethnicities, most women’s hair — when left to its own volition — will take on a curly, fizzy, wavy or otherwise voluminous state. The 2012 Disney movie “Brave,” for example, took a good deal of flak on social media for showing a Scottish “Disney Princess” with a full mane of frizzy red hair.

Women’s hair care is a multi-billion-dollar global industry. The daily maintenance and personal expense needed to keep hair at a publicly acceptable level are one of the greatest headaches women deal with as part of their daily routine.

“There’s no such thing as ‘wake up and go,’” an uncredited Black woman is reported saying, per Kovie Biakolo. “Whether I wear my hair naturally, curly or straightened via flatiron, making it presentable is a process. When it’s curly, it gets dry very quickly and goes flat after a day or two. I have to re-wet, moisturize, comb and brush almost every day to keep the curls looking healthy and full. When it’s straight, I have to touch up my hair with a flatiron even to wear it in a ponytail. That’s not to mention the process of straightening it in the first place, which is nearly two hours of washing, blow drying and straightening.

“This upkeep doesn’t sound like much, but all this work brings my hair nothing close to white standards of beauty,” she continued. “I fight with and destroy my hair to get it to look as close as possible to a standard I know it will never achieve because it’s just not in its nature. But what’s the alternative?”

While hair struggles are a natural part of being a woman, rarely does this warrant more than odd looks outside the Black experience. While non-conforming hairstyles might be brushed aside as a fashion faux pas or a non-event if done by a non-Black woman, when Black women wear hairstyles that don’t conform to “white standards,” it can lead to job terminations, school suspensions and even arrests.

Take, for example, 2014. On March 31 of that year, the Army announced that it has updated its appearance and grooming policy. The policy, known as AR 670-1, banned cornrows, braids, twists and dreadlocks, arguing that these hairstyles interfere with the fitting of essential equipment, such as combat helmets. This turned out to be ironic, as most of the women affected by this policy chose these hairstyles to reduce the maintenance time needed and to be more “combat-ready.” The policy was overturned shortly thereafter.

Since the inception of the country, Black hair has been linked to negative stereotypes about being African-American. “Hair type rapidly became the real symbolic badge of slavery, although, like many powerful symbols, it was disguised, in this case by the linguistic device of using the term ‘Black,’ which nominally threw the emphasis to color,” Harvard sociologist Orlando Patterson wrote in his book “Slavery and Social Death.” “No one who has grown up in a multiracial society, however, is unaware of the fact that hair difference is what carries the real symbolic potency.”

“These attacks on Afrocentric styles and fashions are unfortunately definitely not new. I was speaking to a Black female friend who, in the 1960s, did some modeling with the likes of Richard Roundtree of ‘Shaft’ fame, and she was telling me stories that were interchangeable from today,” Zimmerman added. “Racism has all the time in the world. I think the difference is nowadays with social media, these attacks are getting far more attention, and also due to social media, more people of color are finding comfort and strength in accepting themselves as they are. So, there’s less tolerance and much more public anger.

“When you factor in our first Black president, police shootings of Black men, I think many people of color see these attacks upon women’s hair similar to physical assault.”

The Bias against Natural Hair
In 2016, the Perception Institute conducted an online study into how perceptions of African-American women are influenced by explicit and implicit biases toward their hair. The study was inspired in part by SheaMoisture’s 2016 “Break the Walls” campaign, which challenged retailers’ traditional position of separating hair products by race, with nonwhite products being delegated to the “ethnic” section. By segregating products meant for women of color, there may be a subliminal message that ethnic hair is somehow different from “normal hair.”

To test this, the Perception Institute tested users for implicit and explicit biases by showing photos of a single model wearing both straight and “natural” wigs and asking what words and phrases come to mind when they see the photos.

The study found:

• Black women that consider themselves naturalistas are the most positive about textured or natural hair, seeing it as “beautiful,” “sexy” and “professional” at a greater amount than any other population, including other Black women;
  • Black women remain sensitive of social stigma surrounding textured hair;
  • Millennials are more accepting of natural hair than any other women in the sample;
  • Black women are more anxious about their hair than White women;
  • Ruining their hair is the excuse for a third of all surveyed Black women skipping exercise;
  • Twice the number of Black women feel pressured to straighten their hair for work than white women;
  • Black women invest more time-wise and in actual expense in their hair than white women; and
  • White women are more likely to be explicitly biased against Black hair compared to “smooth” hair, finding it to be “less attractive,” “less beautiful’ and “less professional.”
“It is curious that the study found millennials to be the most accommodating to textured hair,” Alexis McGill Johnson, the executive director of the Perception Institute, said. “This is significant because even if most of us would say that an afro is beautiful to a survey, we’ve taken in so many social cues about hair that it is hard to escape media about it. These millennials have been involved in online communities, replacing the cultural knowledge we have lost in the decades we have been straightening our hair and creating reaffirming images that helped replace the negative schemas.”

girl-347850-300x200.jpg

The road toward breaking down the implicit biases against natural hair starts with a reflection of one’s personal bias. (Courtesy: Pixabay/cherylholt)

The Enemy in the Mirror
The bottom line with hair bias is that, for many, it is veiled racism. Textured hair reminds the prejudiced viewer of Black culture and draws an unthinking reaction. There may be no convenient solution to implicit racism except to expose it at every opportunity.

There is another component to hair bias, however, which could be combatted. To illustrate this, let us take, for example, the former first lady Michelle Obama. When she entered the White House, she had heavily processed “smooth” hair. To the casual viewer, she met the visual expectation of a successful, professional Black woman — well coifed, well dressed and well spoken. When, while on vacation, she allowed her hair to go natural, the criticism she received, despite changing nothing else of her public persona, was severe.

This is even more shocking in retrospect considering she has been seen wearing her hair naturally more often, to the Internet’s acclaim, since leaving the White House.

Since the time of slavery, natural, “nappy” hair was seen as being more undesirable than hair that mirrors Eurocentric styles. Unprocessed, non-straight hair suggested the person was uncivilized, uneducated or somehow dangerous. To be accepted, African-American women (and men) not only subjected themselves to hot combs, lye-based hair treatments and a host of other hazardous treatments, but they also taught their daughters to do the same. This is reflected in the oft-repeated unwritten rule, “Straighten your hair for the interview, wear it natural once you are through the door.”

This notion that success and beauty are connected to straight hair still proliferates in the media. Many of the role models for African-American women have chemically processed straight hair because it is what they were told was needed to be taken seriously. Entire generation – both white and Black – have seen the allegedly most successful and socially acceptable among Black women wear their hair straight and formed an association between straight hair and Black success and Black beauty. This is how implicit bias is born.

As pointed out in the article Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America, various African tribes adapted elaborate hair braiding patterns as a messaging and identification schema as early as the 15th century. One of the ways slavers would break newly captured enslaved women of their identities was to shave their heads.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/06...minalize-black-girls-marginalize-black-women/

whoa...this is a strong piece.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1002891244727660544.html

The most interesting part about some men claiming having daughters as the reason why they suddenly appreciate women, and see us as humans, is that it's a lie.
They don't see women as humans, they they believe they see their daughters as humans. A difference. The women in
Their lives, don't suddenly get treated any differently than they ever were, by the men who it took having a daughter, to appreciate a female human life.
The wives/girlfriends/lovers/babymamas are still treated the same.
These men are really just discovering what it means to
Love a female human, without requiring anything in return. It is literally the barest of minimums to simply discover that you love your child exhaustively.
To use such a minimum expectation to elevate yourself -- to claim sudden maturity and wisdom, is not only dull, but untrue.
Finding out you love your daughter is not a million dollar revelation, it is the expectation. You want the world to be better for HER. You don't want anyone to treat HER like shit. That is called having a child buddy.
Also, how human is your daughter going to be treated?
Men who use their daughters to ease their conscience in how they treat/treated women, often have expectations in how they want their daughter(s) to behave, putting stronger restrictions on their daughters, moreso than their sons.
Making their daughters lives more difficult
Because of "they know how men are".
Nothing groundbreaking, and nothing to applaud.
What is laudable? Having respect for all women, from the start.
If you need a familial connection to appreciate a woman, please don't try to garner up support by claiming you suddenly see
All women clearer. Stop lying and just admit you only love women, who are connected to you, because you love yourself a lot.
The irony of claiming to suddenly respect women because you have a daughter, yet still treat/speak about all other women derogatorily - can you reason?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1002891244727660544.html

The most interesting part about some men claiming having daughters as the reason why they suddenly appreciate women, and see us as humans, is that it's a lie.
They don't see women as humans, they they believe they see their daughters as humans. A difference. The women in
Their lives, don't suddenly get treated any differently than they ever were, by the men who it took having a daughter, to appreciate a female human life.
The wives/girlfriends/lovers/babymamas are still treated the same.
These men are really just discovering what it means to
Love a female human, without requiring anything in return. It is literally the barest of minimums to simply discover that you love your child exhaustively.
To use such a minimum expectation to elevate yourself -- to claim sudden maturity and wisdom, is not only dull, but untrue.
Finding out you love your daughter is not a million dollar revelation, it is the expectation. You want the world to be better for HER. You don't want anyone to treat HER like shit. That is called having a child buddy.
Also, how human is your daughter going to be treated?
Men who use their daughters to ease their conscience in how they treat/treated women, often have expectations in how they want their daughter(s) to behave, putting stronger restrictions on their daughters, moreso than their sons.
Making their daughters lives more difficult
Because of "they know how men are".
Nothing groundbreaking, and nothing to applaud.
What is laudable? Having respect for all women, from the start.
If you need a familial connection to appreciate a woman, please don't try to garner up support by claiming you suddenly see
All women clearer. Stop lying and just admit you only love women, who are connected to you, because you love yourself a lot.
The irony of claiming to suddenly respect women because you have a daughter, yet still treat/speak about all other women derogatorily - can you reason?

You know something?

I hate this point....really

I UNDERSTAND.

It is a bullshit cop out way over used by "men" to claim they love women

But as a father a brother a son a godfather a uncle and a mentor.

That is some bullsh*t

Of COURSE when something is OF YOU and CLOSE TO YOU

you care more.

Women do it too.

I used to never even LOOK at homeless people but when I volunteered in a shelter?

My empathy and compassion and understanding changed.

Yeah I use to wear pink ribbons and donate a dollar

When my sister was diagnosed with cancer?

you think I saw CANCER the same?

I worked with people with special needs ...but when my baby cousin had it?

It was NOT the same.

When my daughter was diagnosed with a blood disorder...

does that mean I DID NOT care about all the OTHER kids before her who had life threatening conditions?

Look again I UNDERSTAND

but this is why I hate social media shit.

You can't make a BROAD f*cking statement like that and then CONDEMN a whole GENDER like that.

I KNOW we ALL do it...

but see?

that is my point

WE ALL DO THAT.

You don't REALLY appreciate ANYTHING until it hits you in your HEART...

that's sad yeah.

But its the truth.

again its a little pet peeve of mine.

And one of the FEW things I get really defensive about.

cause I am a DAMN good father and yes when I see those girls I want to defend EVERY SINGLE little girl in the world.

You want to criticize me for that?

well go ahead.

and trust me my sisters aunts cousins goddaughters and mama will be the first one to say f*ck you.

These black women got my back like that.

and I have theirs.

And hell yeah it helps when your blessed with perfect princesses of your own

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
You know something?

I hate this point....really

I UNDERSTAND.

It is a bullshit cop out way over used by "men" to claim they love women

But as a father a brother a son a godfather a uncle and a mentor.

That is some bullsh*t

Of COURSE when something is OF YOU and CLOSE TO YOU

you care more.

Women do it too.

I used to never even LOOK at homeless people but when I volunteered in a shelter?

My empathy and compassion and understanding changed.

Yeah I use to wear pink ribbons and donate a dollar

When my sister was diagnosed with cancer?

you think I saw CANCER the same?

I worked with people with special needs ...but when my baby cousin had it?

It was NOT the same.

When my daughter was diagnosed with a blood disorder...

does that mean I DID NOT care about all the OTHER kids before her who had life threatening conditions?

Look again I UNDERSTAND

but this is why I hate social media shit.

You can't make a BROAD f*cking statement like that and then CONDEMN a whole GENDER like that.

I KNOW we ALL do it...

but see?

that is my point

WE ALL DO THAT.

You don't REALLY appreciate ANYTHING until it hits you in your HEART...

that's sad yeah.

But its the truth.

again its a little pet peeve of mine.

And one of the FEW things I get really defensive about.

cause I am a DAMN good father and yes when I see those girls I want to defend EVERY SINGLE little girl in the world.

You want to criticize me for that?

well go ahead.

and trust me my sisters aunts cousins goddaughters and mama will be the first one to say f*ck you.

These black women got my back like that.

and I have theirs.

And hell yeah it helps when your blessed with perfect princesses of your own

So you had an experience and changed. She is speaking of men who have an experience and continue to treat women the same. Doesn't sound like this applies to you.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So you had an experience and changed. She is speaking of men who have an experience and continue to treat women the same. Doesn't sound like this applies to you.

sorry if that is the case...

but I just don;t like that AUTOMATIC reaction if a man says that...

now when these #metoo assholes were using it as some type of defense?

yeah f*ck them.

but I've noticed its like a blanket thing now WHENEVER ANY MAN says that.

And I don't like that.

So if a woman says "I'm a mother" then we gonna say that too?

again I am really sensitive over this cause I had to check this white chick at my daughter's school when she tried to use that.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Menfolk close ya eyes. You're not supposed to be in here anyway.....

You've been warned.....

Killmonger...... doesn't look real deadly....but maybe the water caused shrinkage.....

Michael B Jordan.jpg

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Not news to black women but....

Women's Suffrage Leaders Left Out Black Women
Despite what you may have learned in school.

EDT
Courtesy%2520of%2520the%2520Virginia%2520State%2520University%2520Archives.jpg

Courtesy of the Virginia State University Archives

OG History is a Teen Vogue series where we unearth history not told through a white, cisheteropatriarchal lens. In this piece, black feminist writer, editor, and critic Evette Dionne explains how many famous white people working for women's suffrage were actually racist, too.

On November 8, 2016, when it seemed almost inevitable that Hillary Clinton would become America’s first female president, white women flocked to Rochester, New York, to plaster their “I Voted” stickers on Susan B. Anthony’s grave. Many of those women also wore all-white outfits to the voting booth as an homage to the suffrage movement, which secured white women’s right to vote on August 18, 1920. The singular focus on Anthony and her white women peers, including Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Carrie Chapman Catt, seemed to echo the historical maligning of black women activists, writers, and thinkers who were integral to the women's suffrage movement. While Anthony and Stanton are in history books — and will soon be on the $10 bill — their failure to check what many perceive as their racism worked against black women who were also denied access to the ballot box.

So I encouraged Twitter users to place “I Voted” stickers on the graves of some of those women, including Shirley Chisholm and Fannie Lou Hamer, who represent the fight to secure voting rights for black women, which continues today. Whether it was running for office, as Chisholm did when she became the first black woman to be elected to Congress, or encouraging black voter registration at the height of the Civil Rights Movement, as Hamer did, black women suffragists have put themselves in the line of fire over and over again. Voting rights can’t be divorced from civil rights, but unfortunately the 1848 Seneca Falls Convention — the first U.S.-held women's rights conference, organized by Lucretia Mott and Stanton — failed to address the racism and oppression faced by black women.

By not addressing this issue, some white suffragists were able to present voting rights as an extension of white supremacy. Anthony and Stanton championed equality for black Americans, even signing an 1864 congressional petition that pushed for the passage of the 13th Amendment. But the ratification of the 15th Amendment, on February 3, 1870, turned the tide because it secured voting rights for men of all races — but didn’t extend that right to women. “I will cut off this right arm of mine before I will ask for the ballot for the Negro and not for the woman,” Anthony famously spewed. Anna Howard Shaw, president of the National Women Suffrage Association, argued that, “You have put the ballot in the hands of your black men, thus making them political superiors of white women. Never before in the history of the world have men made former slaves the political masters of their former mistresses!” When the 15th Amendment passed, white suffragists began pushing harder for voting rights for white women, to the exclusion of black, Native American, and Asian women.

Black women publicly fought for their right to vote, and often. In her 1867 speech at the American Equal Rights Association, Sojourner Truth argued that giving black men the right to vote without affording black women the same right only promoted black men's dominance. “I feel that if I have to answer for the deeds done in my body just as much as a man, I have the right to have just as much as a man,” she said. “There is a great stir about colored men getting their rights, but not a word about the colored women; and if colored men get their rights and not colored women theirs, you see the colored men will be masters over the women, and it will be just as bad as it was before.”

After the passage of the 15th Amendment, black men began attempting to exercise their legally protected right to vote but were met by lynch mobs. Between 1877 and 1950, about 4,000 black people, primarily black men, were lynched for perceived infractions, including attempting to register to vote. Ida B. Wells-Barnett, a prominent journalist, championed anti-lynching, a cause she considered integral to the fight for voting rights.

In her “Lynch Law of America” creed, published in 1900, Wells-Barnett argued that without representation in government, this lawlessness would continue to reign. “[Lynching] is the work of the ‘unwritten law’ about which so much is said, and in whose behest butchery is made a pastime and national savagery condoned,” she wrote. “The first statute of this ‘unwritten law’ was written in the blood of thousands of brave men who thought that a government that was good enough to create a citizenship was strong enough to protect it. Under the authority of a national law that gave every citizen the right to vote, the newly-made citizens chose to exercise their suffrage. But the reign of the national law was short-lived and illusionary.” To help obtain voting rights for black women, Wells-Barnett founded the Alpha Suffrage Club of Chicago. The National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (NACW), formed in 1896 to merge a number of black women’s social clubs together, also included suffrage within its platform.

Meanwhile, some white women leaders of the suffrage movement worked alongside white supremacists. When Anthony and Stanton co-founded Revolution, a women’s rights newspaper, they accepted funding from George Francis Train, a Democrat who supported slavery. Their opposition to the 15th Amendment led to a split among white suffragists, too. As Bust reported, activists Lucy Stone, Julia Ward Howe, and others created the American Women Suffrage Association to explicitly endorse the 15th Amendment. Its membership included both black men and black women, making “no distinctions because of race" and "no distinctions because of sex."

But many white suffragists didn’t advocate for the ending of lynching because protecting white women’s virtue was often the excuse used to justify the brutal act. In the white imagination, black men’s insatiable sexuality was a threat to white women’s purity, according to historian Lisa Lindquist-Dorr’s book White Women, Rape, and the Power of Race in Virginia, 1900-1960. After the passing of the 15th Amendment, Rebecca Ann Latimer Felton, the first woman to serve in the Senate, pushed this dangerous message: “I do not want to see a negro man walk to the polls and vote on who should handle my tax money, while I myself cannot vote at all,” she said. “When there is not enough religion in the pulpit to organize a crusade against sin; nor justice in the court house to promptly punish crime; nor manhood enough in the nation to put a sheltering arm about innocence and virtue — if it needs lynching to protect woman’s dearest possession from the ravening human beasts — then I say lynch, a thousand times a week if necessary.”

Securing voting rights for white women strengthened the toehold of white supremacy. As Belle Kearney, a suffragist and Mississippi senator, said, “The enfranchisement of women would insure immediate and durable white supremacy, honestly attained, for upon unquestioned authority it is stated that in every southern State but one there are more educated women than all the illiterate voters, white and black, native and foreign, combined. As you probably know, of all the women in the South who can read and write, ten out of every eleven are white. When it comes to the proportion of property between the races, that of the white outweighs that of the black immeasurably.” In other words, according to Kearney's statement, if white women were granted the right to vote, the black vote would be diluted or canceled out.

When Washington, D.C.'s first suffrage parade was organized, for 1913, lead planner Alice Paul, a young Quaker woman, expressed concern that white women wouldn’t show up if they knew they had to march alongside black women. “As far as I can see, we must have a white procession, or a Negro procession, or no procession at all,” she reasoned. Wells-Barnett was told that the historic march was segregated and she would have to walk with an all-black group. She ignored that instruction and ended up walking with the Illinois delegation. A smattering of other black women showed up to the march despite Paul’s warning, including the 22 founding members of black sorority Delta Sigma Theta.

Seven years later, the 19th Amendment was ratified, on August 18, 1920, guaranteeing women the right to vote. It would take another 45 years for the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to pass, securing black women's right to vote. However, state laws and state violence worked against them. (Native and Asian women — whose citizenship status was debated by lawmakers for decades after former slaves were declared Americans, in 1868 — also continued to face federal- and state-sanctioned voter discrimination.)

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 outlawed voting taxes and literacy tests and helped prevent states from imposing discriminatory polling laws. But in that time, black people — men and women alike — were met with violence when they attempted to exercise their right to vote. The black vote was resisted by white supremacists who beat those who protested (or marched, like from Selma to Montgomery) and conducted repeated arrests, especially in Southern states. The struggle against disenfranchisement is still ongoing, as Republican legislatures continue to pass laws intended to restrict access to voting in states including Indiana, Wisconsin, and Arkansas. But from the 1800s until now, black women have been at the forefront of a movement to make voting easier, more equitable, and not rooted in racism. With or without recognition, we’ve always been present and fighting.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/womens-suffrage-leaders-left-out-black-women