TV: Pacific Rim 2 Is Back, But With A Major Change

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Pacific Rim 2 Is Back, But With A Major Change

Just when you'd given up hope on ever seeing them again, the Kaiju and Jaegers from Pacific Rim have risen from the dusts of delay, and been put back on the active roster of Legendary Pictures' many future projects. Unfortunately, this cinematic necromancy has come at the cost of the director's chair, as Guillermo del Toro is letting someone else take his epic universe of monsters and mechas out for the second time around.

_1456326435.jpg

The news was just broken by The Wrap, who states that Guillermo del Toro will remain a producer on the newly revived sequel. Taking his place in the director's chair is Steven S. DeKnight, the man who recently vacated the show-runner post on Marvel's successful Netflix series, Daredevil. No word has been issued yet on what the new release date would be, whether Universal would still be distributing, or if any re-writes will be made to the script that was turned into the studio brass last year.

Surprise is the word of the night, as this item involving the return of Pacific Rim 2has come out of nowhere, coming from a source close to the project. The biggest question this revival has us asking is just what happened behind the scenes that made the previously dumped project a going concern. This may have been due to Guillermo del Toro ceding the director's chair to someone that the studio may have felt was more marketable, thus securing a budget and a strategy for production. Thankfully, Uncle Guillermo was involved with the selection process for his Pacific Rim 2 successor, as he teased the announcement earlier this evening, and provided the following supplement to the recent news:

Seeing Pacific Rim 2 moving forward is an excellent development, while still being a little bittersweet at the same time. This film is obviously Guillermo del Toro's baby, and seeing him hit with setback after setback was pretty sad during the slow march towards the sequel's holding pattern. But this was a possibility that del Toro had prepared fans for, as he'd previously stated that he still had faith that the film would happen.

On the bright side, with a director like Steven S. DeKnight in the mix, it does bring two new factors to Pacific Rim 2 that could help it in the end: a fresh perspective, and another successful name to hang its hat on. Here's hoping that the second chapter in the Pacific Rim series helps keep the franchise in the game, lending itself to the rich universal expansion that its creator feels it deserves. Besides, if Pacific Rim 2 is in safe hands, then this leave Guillermo del Toro to tackle Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. If that's not a win, we don't know what is!

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
This actually may be the best. I love Guillermo del Toro, but his last couple directed movies have been lackluster and the some of the direction in Pacific Rim was off the mark.
I'm all for this if Steven can bring some of his flare from Spartacus and Daredevil into this movie.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
The first one was a great movie to show off a brand new flatscreen, but I honestly fell asleep watching it. Didn't care for it all that much. Might try and revisit it again, but hated they had to kill off Idris Elba's character.

nyyyyce

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't give a flying $@!?w#&!! what anybody says about that movie it took me back to ultraman, Johnny Robo days - but it was graphically believable. Taking it home, on 3d blu ray entrenched it and Dred as MY 1,2 combo for best 3d movies to own. I am excited but the story has to really be fire since they already played their one and only "end of the world" card.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Pacific Rim 2's Release Date Confirmed
It's due in February 2018.

Pacific Rim 2 finally has a release date. The sequel to Guillermo Del Toro's 2013 sci-fi action movie has been without a confirmed slot since it was pulled from schedules in September last year. But producers Legendary have now revealed that it will hit theaters on February 23, 2018

Despite the recent hiring of director Steven S. DeKnight andstar John Boyega, this is the first official confirmation from Legendary and distributors Universal that the film is still happening. A joint statement reads:

"John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) leads the cast ofPACIFIC RIM 2, the follow-up to 2013's cinematic battle for global domination that took audiences to future Earth's land, skies and seas and introduced an entirely new kind of warfare. Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus, Daredevil) directs the next chapter of the film that generated more than $400 million at the global box office, including a strong performance in China. The 3D epic adventure will be produced by returning PACIFIC RIM producers Thomas Tull, Guillermo del Toro and Mary Parent. Boyega joins the production team alongside Femi Oguns."

Although the first film was indeed a huge success in China, its domestic box office return was more disappointing, making just $101.8 million in the US.

In January, Legendary Pictures was bought by Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group, for a massive $3.5 billion.Pacific Rim opened with the sixth biggest gross ever for a Hollywood movie in China, and ultimately earned more than a third of its entire international gross there.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pacific-rim-2s-release-date-confirmed/1100-6441445/

:mike::dance2::mike::dance:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
After years of uncertainty, Pacific Rim 2 is finally, officially happening as we now know when and where it’ll be filming. Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro’s colorful kaiju vs. mech film Pacific Rim hit theaters in 2013 to mostly solid reviews but shaky box office. The $190 million blockbuster just barely grossed $100 million in the U.S., but was a massive hit in China where it grossed $111 million, going on to amass $411 million worldwide. Del Toro’s film was intended to kick off a franchise, serving as a terrific piece of world building, but the box office was just on the line of whether it made sense—from a business standpoint—to make a sequel or not.

Last fall, del Toro was in the midst of pre-production when Universal put everything on hold, delaying the project’s planned August 2017 release date indefinitely. The film lingered for a while, eventually resurfacing with a firm greenlight from Universal and Legendary, only this time del Toro had stepped out of the director’s chair to attend to other projects, with Daredevil Season 1 showrunner Steven S. DeKnighttapped to helm.

Image via Legendary/Universal

Del Toro remains involved as a key producer on Pacific Rim 2, and today it was announced that Chinese actress Jing Tian is joining the cast with confirmation that production begins this November in Australia, with principal photography also planned to take place in China.

John Boyega is leading the cast of the sequel and producing, though it’s as-yet unclear how/if the original cast figures into the plot of the follow-up. We know that Charlie Hunnam is not returning, but del Toro recently teased that “a lot” of the cast from the first movie will indeed be returning, adding that Pacific Rim 2 expands the universe by focusing on the post-war setting.

Tian is a famous Chinese actress whose credits include New Police Story andSpecial ID, as well as the upcoming Matt Damon-fronted The Great Wall. It’s no secret that Pacific Rim 2 is being produced with the large Chinese fanbase in mind, and Legendary is handling Chinese distribution of the picture alongside China-based partner Wanda.

With a firm November start-date now set, we should start to see the final casting pieces fall into place soon. As a big fan of the world del Toro set up in Pacific Rim, I’m mighty eager to return for this sequel. Pacific Rim 2 is slated for release on February 23, 2018.

Image via Warner Bros.

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-2-filming-dates-locations-australia/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Maybe it was the bootleg copy, but I thought the movie was OK, nothing outstanding.

it had SO MUCH potential...t kinda got bogged down by the that and the high expectations...

it was a little OVER complicated.

I think a sequel would have been easier stream lined sleeker and more action packed.

and it would have been an AWESOME animated series.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
another magical negro to sacrifice himself? another scrawny asian chick? I thought the first one was a good story and I liked the effects but the cliches were just too much for me to make it more than slightly above average.