• The Chronic

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

UNSEEN

Rising Star
Registered
I came here to say all of the above..and I liked that some of y'all added mobb deep(me and my homie was on that one) redman and dmx (got hip to him later tho)

I still remember the impact with snoops debut album..everybody I mean everybody was fienen(SP) for that album cuz of the impact of The Chronic..he kept pushing the release date back..my other homie had some how got three bootleg singles from doggystyle and you can tell it wasn't finished.. I remember hearing the unfinished version of "ain't no fun" and trust me Dre did justice on the finished version cuz the unfinished version had the same beat just a few missing pieces..also Snoop's deput album did not let down anyone..the whole album was fire..the whole hood was bumping Doggystyle everywhere you went you heard Doggystyle I remember gangstas banging it out they cutlass' and regals..that shit was ahead of it's time for real..those beats were ahead of it's time as well..that's why when Snoop's second album came it was ahh..cuz Snoop didn't have Dre on the production.. by that time Death Row was falling apart and Pac had got killed.

I'm going with Doggystyle cuz of the memories I had..shout out to Only Built for Cuban Links..I remember the buzz that created..niggaz that loved hip hop was on that one too..some of the best beats and lyrics I have ever heard and the concept of the album was just dope period..every track got better and deeper..I don't recall a wack track everything was dope(and I'm a Cali nigga..giving it up) those were definitely good times way back then.

I probably got a story for every album the OP posted but I'ma chill tho...

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Chronic should be a the top of the list, I'm surprised it's not! I remember when it came out and niggas was like are you serious, dopest shit I ever heard in my life at the time.

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace

You need to add Muddy Waters
..alongside

Remember,
there was an early 90s era,
a mid
mid to late,
Post mortem eras
then late 90s with a whole bunch of music flooding an ever changing by the day game

Rae's album got minimal airplay but hood to hood that shit was geting love & blasted out of windows & trucks through just the TriState area.
Nas used to brag in rhymes abt getting no airplay & going gold.
Early mid 90s shit.
Rae's album got minia

vainglorious

Star
BGOL Investor
In my particular order:
1. Midnight Marauders
2. Cuban Linx
3. Ironman
4. 36 Chambers
5. Low End Theory
6. Ready To Die
7. Reasonable Doubt
8. Aquemini
9. ATLiens
10. Illmatic

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
What About...
1, GANG STARR...DALIY OPERATION
DJ PREMIER and THE GURU along with the GANGSTARR FOUNDATION at their very best

2. GZA...LIQUID SWORDS
This muthin fuckin album to me proved the GZA is the sharpest sword in the WU TANG!
Lots kats slept on and continue to sleep on this album a classic up there with real HIP-HOP CLASSICS.
PEACE TO THE GZA!

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Chronic should be a the top of the list, I'm surprised it's not! I remember when it came out and niggas was like are you serious, dopest shit I ever heard in my life at the time.
giphy.gif

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doggystyle was like Thriller. Every song could be a hit single. But honestly, there were way too many classic rap albums in the 90's to choose 1.
:itsawrap: All Albums listed were great but of all the artist mentioned none of them had the influence snoop had when he entered the game and still going. Snoop helped change the game with west coast rap and rap in general, love or hate him.

Dragonfly Jones

Home practicing on my arts
Registered
C'mon buh, you are missing quite a few Classic (90’s) Hip Hop Albums from your list. :yes:

In no particular order… :rolleyes:

1990 Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Fear_of_a_Black_Planet.jpg

1999 Most Def - Black on Both Sides

MosDefBlackonBothSides.jpg

1998 Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Capital_Punishment_1998.jpg

1998 Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of Lauren Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

1996 The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

Illadelph.jpg

1993 Souls of Mischief - ’93 til Infinity

JIVE41514LP.jpg

1998 Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

1995 Mobb Depp - The Infamous

homepage_large.217a88ce.jpg

1995 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

E_1999_Eternal_cover.jpg

1999 Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

51Ad2ww83QL._SY355_.jpg

1993 Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Cypress_Hill-Black_Sunday.jpg

1995 Pharcyde – Labcabincalifornia

56b0d5fd2a9254f5f6ccf9c3f6f7711598ab90e1

1996 Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Reasonable_Doubt_New.jpg

1996 OutKast - ATLiens

Outkast-atliens.jpg

1992 Redman - Whut? Thee Album

Whuttheealbum.jpg
How did you leave out DMX it's dark and hell is hot album

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
All good but i can't believe u think the rise of west coast music subsequently coincides with the rise of bad hip hop..east coast had plenty of bad hip hop as well. ..
The problem with... this had a lot of bad rap... Is that is a whole LOT GOOD. Where as west coast rappers had the Pharcyde. And...................that's it. Other than that you had rappin about 6'4's and gin and juice and bloods and crips and whatever.

There was NOTHING to counter it.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
C'mon buh, you are missing quite a few Classic (90’s) Hip Hop Albums from your list. :yes:

In no particular order… :rolleyes:

1990 Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Fear_of_a_Black_Planet.jpg

1999 Most Def - Black on Both Sides

MosDefBlackonBothSides.jpg

1998 Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Capital_Punishment_1998.jpg

1998 Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of Lauren Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

1996 The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

Illadelph.jpg

1993 Souls of Mischief - ’93 til Infinity

JIVE41514LP.jpg

1998 Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

1995 Mobb Depp - The Infamous

homepage_large.217a88ce.jpg

1995 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal

E_1999_Eternal_cover.jpg

1999 Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

51Ad2ww83QL._SY355_.jpg

1993 Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Cypress_Hill-Black_Sunday.jpg

1995 Pharcyde – Labcabincalifornia

56b0d5fd2a9254f5f6ccf9c3f6f7711598ab90e1

1996 Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Reasonable_Doubt_New.jpg

1996 OutKast - ATLiens

Outkast-atliens.jpg

1992 Redman - Whut? Thee Album

Whuttheealbum.jpg

Yea the OP's list is fairly thin, omitting some serious contenders.

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
Eh.

MELH was probably the best album if you're going track by track.

I think all of these albums are overrated. The drop off, track by track, is just too noticeable. An album with three dope tracks, no matter how dope those tracks are, does not a classic album make.

Never really got into Outkast or Tribe. A friend of mine was a huge fan of theirs. Not that they didn't have ANY songs I fucked with, but - once again - track to track, I felt they fell short.

Wu-Tang always had fire singles, but a lot of the rest of the album would sound like throw-away tracks.

Tupac was the Mark McGwire of hip hop. Meaning? Either he was hitting monstrous home runs, or he was striking out. When I heard about his recording process, I understand better why he had so much weak filler on his albums.

Illmatic never 'touched' me. Nas was a dope artist, but he was more of a cold-lyricist, to me. He lacked charisma in his music. Biggie had charisma and talent. Nas had talent. Pac had hella charisma, but less talent than Biggie and Nas, in my opinion.

Once again, I just feel most albums credited as 'classics' are being carried by a few super-fire tracks.

The West Coast dominance was more about groove than actual overall artistry. Snoop ain't WACK, but he ain't crazy. He just had wild swag on track. That alone doesn't make you a great artist.