Rest In Peace Johnny Kemp - Passed Away At Age 56.

Simply_Black

International
International Member
J-kemp-Rip.jpg

We are saddened to learn of the sudden passing of Bahamian music legend, Johnny Kemp. He died on April 16th on the Tom Joyner's cruise, and fell and hit his head in the bathroom. He was 56.

Born August 2, 1959, Kemp Johnny Kemp is a Bahamian singer who began singing in nightclubs in the Bahamas at the age of 13. He moved to New York in 1979 with the band "Kinky Fox." His self-titled debut album came out in 1986 and he scored a minor hit with "Just Another Lover."

Kemp is likely most known for "Just Got Paid" an "all-star finale" on Keith Sweat's 2007 DVD Sweat Hotel Live, recorded at a February 2006 concert in Atlanta, Georgia.

Condolences are extended to his wife Deidre, his two sons, his family, friends and fans.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publish/entertainment/Bahamian_legend_Johnny_Kemp_passes_suddenly_at_age_5641323.shtml

SIDESHOW

Uncle Juice
BGOL Investor
R I P

Can't believe dude died on a Tom Joyner cruise though...

Yeah.. curious about the circumstances surrounding his passing. The verbiage in the article is kind of hard to follow. Did he die and also coincidentally hit his head too, or did he blackout and/or fall, hitting his head.. thus causing his death? The latter makes more sense, but who knows.

Regardless.. rip

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
RIP Johnny Kemp. I remember my uncle got paid and couldn't stop singing that joint. Bought me Contra too that day. New Jack Swing baby.:dance:

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
Damn.

Just left the Ben Powers thread and caught this.

Niggas dropping like flies.

That Friday anthem made him immortal.

R.I.P.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
whoa what happend to him,

I couldnt stand dude back in the day, he

had my woman..

but

RIP to all these folks going way before their time...

^ yea R.I.P to him as well as actors
Ben Powers
Robert Z'Dar(Maniac Cop films):(
James Best(Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane) :(
Tom Towles(NOTLD remake,Blood In Blood Out)
Geoffrey Lewis

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered
R I P

Can't believe dude died on a Tom Joyner cruise though...

Update:

R&B singer Johnny Kemp has passed away at the age of 55-years-old.

Born in the Bahamas, Kemp rose to fame after the release of his 1988 hit single Just Got Paid and his involvement in the New Jack Swing sound.

Kemp was scheduled to be a part of the New Jack Swing performance with Teddy Riley on Tom Joyner’s annual cruise but it has been confirmed that he was not on the ship at the time of his death.

Reach Media Inc. released the following statement:

We have received confirmation that Johnny Kemp has passed away. We do not have any other details. We can confirm he was not on the ship for the Tom Joyner Foundation Fantastic Voyage Cruise.

http://blackamericaweb.com/2015/04/17/singer-johnny-kemp-passes-away-at-55/

Last edited:

Simply_Black

International
International Member

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Bahamian R&B singer Johnny Kemp, who is best known for the hit song "Just Got Paid," has died in Jamaica. He was 55.

Jamaica police said Friday that Kemp was found floating at a beach in Montego Bay on Thursday morning. It had not yet been determined how he died.

Police said Kemp arrived in Jamaica on a cruise ship but added that they did not have further details.

Reach Media Inc. said Kemp had been scheduled to be on a Caribbean cruise this week, but the U.S.-based parent company of the "Tom Joyner Morning Show" said it did not have further details.

Kemp was nominated in 1989 for a Grammy Award for "Just Got Paid" in a category that included Bobby Brown and Luther Vandross. The song was a No. 1 hit on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart.

Kemp appeared on a 2007 Keith Sweat DVD called "Sweat Hotel Live" and had been performing at musical events across the U.S. in recent years.

http://news.yahoo.com/bahamas-r-b-singer-johnny-kemp-just-got-223039476.html

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn sad to hear that. Just Got Paid came out while I was working my first full time job, and although Thursday was payday, Friday was WBLS day for the office radio so everybody, even the heavy metal heads would be loving it when the song came on around 4pm.

RAY V.

AP 2nd Team All-American
BGOL Investor
so sad...one of the best one hit wonder artist of all times

rest in peace johnny kemp