Are Rape Jokes Okay?

Are rape jokes EVER okay?

• Total voters

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I only posted the last third of the article out of respect for Colin Powell-- click the link if you want to read the parts on thievery by/from and heckling of comedians.

Thievery, Heckling, and Rape Jokes
Reconsidering three arguments about stand-up comedy.
By Patton Oswalt

3. Rape Jokes

In 1992 I was in the San Francisco International Comedy Competition. Out of a field of 40 competitors, I think I came in 38. Maybe.

One of the comedians I competed against was named Vince Champ. Handsome, friendly, 100 percent clean material. He would gently—but not in a shrill or scolding way—chide some of the other comedians about their “blue” language, or “angry” subject material, or general, dark demeanor. But nice to hang out with. Polite.

Later that same year Vince won Star Search. $100,000 grand prize. A career launched. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

He’s now sitting in prison in Nebraska, serving a 55-to-70-year sentence for a string of rapes he committed at college campuses where he toured as a comedian. College bookers loved him because his material was squeaky-clean and noncontroversial. I guess the Star Search producers agreed.

Vince is one example—there are others, believe me—where some of the friendliest, most harmless-seeming, and non-offensive comedians carry around some pretty horrific mental plumbing. The comedians I’ve known who joke about rape—and genocide, racism, serial killers, drug addiction, and everything else in the Dark Subjects Suitcase—tend to be, internally and in action, anti-violence, anti-bigotry, and decidedly anti-rape. It’s their way—at least, it’s definitely my way—of dealing with the fact that all of this shittiness exists in the world. It’s one of the ways I try to reduce the power and horror those subjects hold for me. And since I’ve been a comedian longer than any of the people who blogged or wrote essays or argued about this, I was secure in thinking my point of view was right. That “rape culture” was an illusion, that the examples of comedians telling “rape jokes” in which the victim was the punchline were exceptions that proved the rule. I’ve never wanted to rape anyone. No one I know has ever expressed a desire to rape anyone. My viewpoint must be right. Right?

I had that same knee-jerk reaction when the whole Daniel Tosh incident went down. Again, only looking at it from my experience. And my experience, as a comedian, made me instantly defend him. I still do, up to a point. Here’s why: He was at an open mic. Trying out a new joke. A joke about rape. A horrible subject but, like with all horrible subjects, the first thing a comedian will subconsciously think is, “Does a funny approach exist with which to approach this topic?” He tried, and it didn’t go well. I’ve done the same thing, with all sorts of topics. Can I examine something that horrifies me and reduce the horror of it with humor? It’s a foolish reflex and all comedians have it.

And, again, it was at an open mic. Which created another kneejerk reaction in me. Open mics are where, as a comedian, you’re supposed to be allowed to fuck up. Like a flight simulator where you can create the sensation of spiking the nose of the plane into the tarmac without killing anyone (or yourself). Open mics are crucial for any working comedian who wants to keep developing new material, stretching what he or she does, and keeping themselves from burrowing into a creative rut.

Even Daniel admitted, in his apology, that the joke wasn’t going well, that when the girl interrupted him (well, heckled, really) he reacted badly. The same way I reacted badly when an audience member started taping one of my newer, more nebulous bits with her camera phone a few months earlier. Daniel’s bad reaction I don’t defend. His attempting to find humor in the subject of rape—again, a horrifying reality that, like other horrifying realities, can sometimes be attacked with humor? I defend that. Still defend. Will always defend.

What it came down to, for me, was this: Let a comedian get to the end of his joke. If it’s not funny then? Fine. Blast away. In person, on the Internet, anywhere. It’s an open mic. Comedians can take it. We bomb all the time. We go too far all the time. It’s in our nature.

And don’t interrupt a comedian during the setup. A lot of times, a setup is deliberately meant to shock, to reverse your normal valences, to kick you a few points off your axis. If you heard the beginning of Lenny Bruce’s joke where he blurts out, “How many niggers do we have here tonight?” and then stood up and motherfucked him into silence and stormed out? You’d be correct—based solely on what you saw and heard—that Lenny was a virulent racist. But if you rode the shockwave, and listened until the end of the bit, you’d see he was attacking something—racism—that he found abhorrent and was, in fact, so horrified by it that he was willing to risk alienating an audience to make his point.

So that’s how I saw the whole “rape joke” controversy. And, again, my view was based on my experience as a comedian. Twenty-five years’ experience, you know? This was about censorship, and the limits of comedy, and the freedom to create and fuck up while you hone what you create.

But remember what I was talking about, in the first two sections of this? In the “Thievery” section and then the “Heckling” section? About how people only bring their own perceptions and experiences to bear when reacting to something? And, since they’re speaking honestly from their experience, they truly think they’re correct? Dismissive, even? See if any of these sound familiar:

There’s no “evidence” of a “rape culture” in this country. I’ve never wanted to rape anyone, so why am I being lumped in as the enemy? If these bloggers and feminists make “rape jokes” taboo, or “rape” as a subject off-limits no matter what the approach, then it’ll just lead to more censorship.

They sure sound familiar to me because I, at various points, was saying them. Either out loud, or to myself, or to other comedian and non-comedian friends when we would argue about this. I had my viewpoint, and it was based on solid experience, and it … was … fucking … wrong.

Let’s go backward through those bullshit conclusions, shall we? First off: No one is trying to make rape, as a subject, off-limits. No one is talking about censorship. In this past week of rereading the blogs, going through the comment threads, and re-scrolling the Twitter arguments, I haven’t once found a single statement, feminist or otherwise, saying that rape shouldn’t be joked about under any circumstance, regardless of context. Not one example of this.

In fact, every viewpoint I’ve read on this, especially from feminists, is simply asking to kick upward, to think twice about who is the target of the punchline, and make sure it isn’t the victim.

Why, after all of my years of striving to write original material (and, at times, becoming annoyingly self-righteous about it) and struggling find new viewpoints or untried approaches to any subject, did I suddenly balk and protest when an articulate, intelligent and, at times, angry contingent of people were asking me to apply the same principles to the subject of rape? Any edgy or taboo subject can become just as hackneyed as an acceptable or non-controversial one if the exact same approach is made every time. But I wasn’t willing to hear that.

And let’s go back even further. I’ve never wanted to rape anyone. Never had the impulse. So why was I feeling like I was being lumped in with those who were, or who took a cavalier attitude about rape, or even made rape jokes to begin with? Why did I feel some massive, undeserved sense of injustice about my place in this whole controversy?

The answer to that is in the first incorrect assumption. The one that says there’s no a “rape culture” in this country. How can there be? I’ve never wanted to rape anyone.

Do you see the illogic in that leap? I didn’t at first. Missed it completely. So let’s look at some similar examples:

Just because you 100 percent believe that comedians don’t write their own jokes doesn’t make it so. And making the leap from your evidence-free belief to dismissing comedians who complain about joke theft is willful ignorance on your part, invoked for your own comfort. Same way with heckling. Just because you 100 percent feel that a show wherein a heckler disrupted the evening was better than one that didn’t have that disruption does not make it the truth. And to make the leap from your own personal memory to insisting that comedians feel the same way that you do is indefensible horseshit.

And just because I find rape disgusting, and have never had that impulse, doesn’t mean I can make a leap into the minds of women and dismiss how they feel day to day, moment to moment, in ways both blatant and subtle, from other men, and the way the media represents the world they live in, and from what they hear in songs, see in movies, and witness onstage in a comedy club.

There is a collective consciousness that can detect the presence (and approach) of something good or bad, in society or the world, before any hard “evidence” exists. It’s happening now with the concept of “rape culture.” Which, by the way, isn’t a concept. It’s a reality. I’m just not the one who’s going to bring it into focus. But I’ve read enough viewpoints, and spoken to enough of my female friends (comedians and non-comedians) to know it isn’t some vaporous hysteria, some false meme or convenient catchphrase.

I’m a comedian. I value and love what I do. And I value and love the fact that this sort of furious debate is going on about the art form I’ve decided to spend my life pursuing. If it wasn’t, it would mean all of the joke-thief defenders and heckler supporters are right, that stand-up comedy is some low, disposable form of carnival distraction, a party trick anyone can do. It’s obviously not. This debate proves it. And I don’t want to be on the side of the debate that only argues from its own limited experience. And I don’t need the sense memory of an actor, or a degree from Columbia, or a moody, desert god to tell me that.

I’m a man. I get to be wrong. And I get to change.

http://pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=167

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
dude fleece johnson, pedo bear, and da ur gonna get rape pic r internet legends so of course u can make rape jokes..hell chris bosh i put a molly in his drink and he didn't even kno it is moving to classic status

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
dude fleece johnson, pedo bear, and da ur gonna get rape pic r internet legends so of course u can make rape jokes..hell chris bosh i put a molly in his drink and he didn't even kno it is moving to classic status

Of course you can -- I'm asking about the ethics and morality of it (i.e. Is it right or does it cross a line?).

Interesting that 75% of your examples are black men and the remainder a brown bear. I had to look up Fleece Johnson to know what you were referencing but I've always thought that "ur gonna get raped" bullshit was racist and it bothers me more for that reason.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rape jokes are a Big No No to me

However it is a free country If I don't like it I can leave

^^^^ If you don't like it, bounce...simple as that.

The Tosh rape joke was insensitive, but that is what he does...if you go to his show, expect to hear dirty comedy, and if you don't like it, you can always leave. If a friend or family member was raped, I feel sorry for them, but one can't expect the world of comedy to censor itself because a joke hits too close to home.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Rape jokes are a Big No No to me

However it is a free country If I don't like it I can leave

^^^^ If you don't like it, bounce...simple as that.

The Tosh rape joke was insensitive, but that is what he does...if you go to his show, expect to hear dirty comedy, and if you don't like it, you can always leave. If a friend or family member was raped, I feel sorry for them, but one can't expect the world of comedy to censor itself because a joke hits too close to home.

It's not that simple. Even if it was that serious, everybody can't afford to just bounce to another country and, also, nothing would EVER change ANYWHERE if people took the approach you guys have. "Don't like that a black teenager isn't free to walk home without being a suspect? Move to Nigeria." Obviously a murder is much more serious than a joke.

Take a look at this short clip. This shit is from a cartoon that young kids nationwide watch:

People-- youth especially-- are easily influenced. If this is socially permissible, what effect will this have on our society? Google "Trayvoning." Is it not reasonable that a callous levity about life and people's safety will lead to further death, destruction and disrespect?

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hell yeah rape jokes are ok..

as long as you are talking about raping the corporate mafia back, for raping us all these years..

but other than that its a bit much...

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's not that simple. Even if it was that serious, everybody can't afford to just bounce to another country and, also, nothing would EVER change ANYWHERE if people took the approach you guys have. "Don't like that a black teenager isn't free to walk home without being a suspect? Move to Nigeria." Obviously a murder is much more serious than a joke.

Take a look at this short clip. This shit is from a cartoon that young kids nationwide watch:

People-- youth especially-- are easily influenced. If this is socially permissible, what effect will this have on our society? Google "Trayvoning." Is it not reasonable that a callous levity about life and people's safety will lead to further death, destruction and disrespect?

I was talking about walking out of a comedy club when a person hears a joke they don't like...no more, no less

mike123

Rising Star
Registered

why do people with weak arguments always use shit like "but what about the kids" or "people could be influenced to do bad things cause of___"

i'll use the same argument for this that i used for videogames
millions of copies of Black ops 2 were sold
how many millions of killers did the game create ? how many hundreds of killers?
taking away forms of entertainment because of the 0.1% of 1% might do something dumb doesnt seem fare or logical

as for the kids seeing or hearing something they shouldnt thats 100% on the parents, its not the governments, the media or random peoples across the globes job to raise other peoples kids
only bad parents think otherwise

Rel

BLK STAR & BLACK BUSINESS OWNER
Registered
i joke alot but i dnt do rape or kid molestation jokes...now everything else is open from death jokes to wateva

Pack Rat

Imperturbable
BGOL Investor
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LLWlBgj0uOc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Count23

International
International Member
No subject is off limits for jokes. It all depends on who's telling the joke, the audience, how it's structured/said and the timing, which makes it funny.

Nobody ever launches a huge outcry against victims of male rape jokes, so rape joke are already socially acceptable...even when people cry about rape jokes, they usually prison jokes out of their ire anyway so...

Sampson

Rising Star
Registered
Ethics and morality shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as comedy. People are free to be offended just as people are free to speak their mind. And comedy is one of the last few mediums where such parameters are irrelevant.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Ethics and morality shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as comedy. People are free to be offended just as people are free to speak their mind. And comedy is one of the last few mediums where such parameters are irrelevant.

If you're offended, is the only proper recourse to walk out, as people above argued? I don't see what that accomplishes. Any action beyond the individual level is an overreaction?

I bet I could do a search for "Michael Richards" and this predominantly male board likely took his routine more seriously.

Last edited:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
No subject is off limits for jokes. It all depends on who's telling the joke, the audience, how it's structured/said and the timing, which makes it funny.

Nobody ever launches a huge outcry against victims of male rape jokes, so rape joke are already socially acceptable...even when people cry about rape jokes, they usually prison jokes out of their ire anyway so...

Does that make it right?

More Men Are Raped In the US Than Women
Josh Sowin

main-qimg-3ddaaa47429d0d1b37336105401ea6f9

Most of us have the idea that women are raped more then men in the US. And it's true in the places we normally live.

In 2008, the FBI reported 90,479 cases of rape. 91% of rape victims were female, 9% male, and 99% of the rapists were male.

But the FBI didn't include prison rape statistics. The Justice Department estimated that there were 216,000 prison rape victims in 2008, most of which were men.

With those numbers included, it would mean that more men than women are raped in America.

http://betweenletters.quora.com/More-Men-Are-Raped-In-the-US-Than-Women

I do think prison rape is an entirely different animal, as outside influences aren't going to have the same effect. But I'm not buying "Well, nobody complains about it so it must be okay."

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
One thing I've learned from "Family Guy" and Louie CK, is that if done right, everything can be a good joke.

How do you feel about the Family Guy clip posted in this thread? If you contrast it with the George Carlin routine in the 2nd post, I think it comes up far, far short. They both joke about cartoon rape. Carlin, it's Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd; Family Guy, it's Quaqmire and Marge Simpson. Carlin's targeted audience is overwhelmingly adult; Family Guy is a primetime weekend cartoon. Carlin's joke is an obvious fantasy scenario; the rape of Marge Simpson seems a lot more realistic and unseemly to me. And then her portrayed reaction... :smh:

Count23

International
International Member
Does that make it right?

More Men Are Raped In the US Than Women
Josh Sowin

main-qimg-3ddaaa47429d0d1b37336105401ea6f9

Most of us have the idea that women are raped more then men in the US. And it's true in the places we normally live.

In 2008, the FBI reported 90,479 cases of rape. 91% of rape victims were female, 9% male, and 99% of the rapists were male.

But the FBI didn't include prison rape statistics. The Justice Department estimated that there were 216,000 prison rape victims in 2008, most of which were men.

With those numbers included, it would mean that more men than women are raped in America.

http://betweenletters.quora.com/More-Men-Are-Raped-In-the-US-Than-Women

I do think prison rape is an entirely different animal, as outside influences aren't going to have the same effect. But I'm not buying "Well, nobody complains about it so it must be okay."

it's not about right or wrong, cuz anything can be made into a joke as long as it's done properly.

as long as it's "ok" to chuckle at fleece johnson gifs, society on the whole needs to stfu with it's fake outrage when it comes to women rape jokes.

Count23

International
International Member
How do you feel about the Family Guy clip posted in this thread? If you contrast it with the George Carlin routine in the 2nd post, I think it comes up far, far short. They both joke about cartoon rape. Carlin, it's Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd; Family Guy, it's Quaqmire and Marge Simpson. Carlin's targeted audience is overwhelmingly adult; Family Guy is a primetime weekend cartoon. Carlin's joke is an obvious fantasy scenario; the rape of Marge Simpson seems a lot more realistic and unseemly to me. And then her portrayed reaction... :smh:

but that's an argument about the execution and mechanics of the joke, not particularly the subject matter itself. in this post, you don't show that you have a problem with rape jokes, just the way their jokes were structured and executed for their intended audiences.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
it's not about right or wrong, cuz anything can be made into a joke as long as it's done properly.

as long as it's "ok" to chuckle at fleece johnson gifs, society on the whole needs to stfu with it's fake outrage when it comes to women rape jokes.

You really think that-- You don't just disagree with the outrage but you believe it's all phony?

Fleece Johnson was first mentioned in post #5 by tallblacknyc-- I don't find that to be offensive because he's an individual being mocked or laughed at for his own, er... quirks. "Ur gonna get raped," on the other hand, targets an innocent homeless man with "a vaguely threatening stare, glowering through that intimidating hood" and it's just based in racism and class judgments.

Of course, we all know that contributing to societal views of certain people as menacing based on how they look is of zero consequence and a lifetime of viewing images like this could never lead to someone causing harm to an innocent person because they look like a rapist or trouble...

but that's an argument about the execution and mechanics of the joke, not particularly the subject matter itself. in this post, you don't show that you have a problem with rape jokes, just the way their jokes were structured and executed for their intended audiences.

You're right-- I voted yes in the poll and I have not argued that rape jokes are never okay. I've just posed a few questions and pointed out examples where it seems that "line" was crossed, which it seems some people are such free speech absolutists they can't or won't acknowledge as a possibility. I'm also fleshing out for myself exactly where that line is.

Count23

International
International Member
You really think that-- You don't just disagree with the outrage but you believe it's all phony?

Not fake as in they're not really angry about the rape jokes, but it's bullshit in the sense that they're not really outraged by jokes about the act of rapein of itself, it only matters if the joke is about women being raped. My thing is that no subject should be off limits when it comes to jokes as long as the person telling it is clever enough to make it work. Either you believe that rape jokes are ok, or off limits period. If a person becomes indignant after watching that family guy clip you posted, but laughs their ass off at the numerous times FG made prison/male rape jokes, then they're a hypocrite expressing fake outrage.

Fleece Johnson was first mentioned in post #5 by tallblacknyc-- I don't find that to be offensive because he's an individual being mocked or laughed at for his own, er... quirks. "Ur gonna get raped," on the other hand, targets an innocent homeless man with "a vaguely threatening stare, glowering through that intimidating hood" and it's just based in racism and class judgments.

So you don't think that people who find rape jokes offensive ought to be offended at the idea of posting those pics in response to someone going to jail as a not so subtle jokey way of insinuating that they will be raped?

Of course, we all know that contributing to societal views of certain people as menacing based on how they look is of zero consequence and a lifetime of viewing images like this could never lead to someone causing harm to an innocent person because they look like a rapist or trouble...

You're right-- I voted yes in the poll and I have not argued that rape jokes are never okay. I've just posed a few questions and pointed out examples where it seems that "line" was crossed, which it seems some people are such free speech absolutists they can't or won't acknowledge as a possibility. I'm also fleshing out for myself exactly where that line is.

But that's the point; there is no objective line. It's up to you what lines you set and are not comfortable crossing. different people have different sensibilities and different temperaments.

:cool:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I thought it was funny.
It's not meant to be a great big joke but a funny, good humor jab at "The Simpsons". Quagmire doesn't rape Marge but he tries, which is completely in character for Quagmire, who is always portrayed as a predator.

But I think there is a point that's not quite accurate

This shit is from a cartoon that young kids nationwide watch
:

Family Guy is a primetime weekend cartoon

"Family Guy" may be watched by kids but it's not marketed to or made for kids anymore than any other show that comes on at 9pm on Sunday. Being animated doesn't equate "for kids" and that's been understood a very long time, at least since "Fritz the Cat".

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
I don't think rape is funny. At all. But on the other hand i believe in freedom of speech too. You're going to be offended about things. But that shouldn't really stop someone from speaking.

But then i can say what i like about not liking it as well. I don't get what's funny about the violation of another human being. It's a horrible thing how i see it.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
but if someone posts a pic of fleece johnson you'll have a chuckle right?

There is no wrong answer as this is very subjective but it's hard to not challenge people when they say rape jokes aren't okay. It's just hard to believe that a person who says that has never laughed or even chuckled at a joke that implies if not outright talks about rape in some form. Whether it be "Family Guy" like I mentioned where one of the main characters is a blatant rapist or "The Boondocks" which introduces many of us to Fleece Johnson in the first place (I'm in that group).
Which is why I said it's about framing and context.