Would Al Gore have invaded Iraq?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><Center>Would Al Gore have invaded Iraq?
Definitely, concludes new study</font size></center>

1108703.bin

National Post
by Kelly McParland
December 23, 2008

Current wisdom has it that if there had been a few less hanging chads in Florida in November 2000, the world would be a different place.

Al Gore would have won the presidency, the Iraq war wouldn’t have happened, and several hundred thousand people who perished in that war would be alive today. That conclusion is based on the generally unchallenged belief that Iraq is George W. Bush’s war: that he and a cabal of like-minded right-wingers conceived and executed the invasion for their own ideological motives. Or, as Frank Harvey, a research professor of international relations at Dalhousie University, puts it: “A few powerful ideologues exploited public fears (and international goodwill) in the aftermath of 9/11 to amplify Iraq’s WMD threat as a primary justification for an unnecessary, preventive invasion.”

That view, notes Harvey, “has emerged as the dominant narrative for explaining the U.S. attack. It represents the prevailing consensus running through dozens of the most popular books on the Bush administration, and hundreds of frequently cited (and widely circulated) scholarly articles, media reports and blog entries on the invasion. In fact, casual observers engaged in a cursory review of the literature will find the same thesis repeated (and usually defended) by prominent scholars, journalists and Washington ‘insiders’ on the left and right of the political spectrum.”

Harvey believes the conclusion is dead wrong. In a new paper for the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute, he deconstructs the thesis and finds it “overlooks almost all of the relevant historical facts.” More than that, he asks a simple question: Had he been elected, would Al Gore have taken the same path as George Bush? He concludes, overwhelmingly, that he would have.

Given the prevailing mood in the aftermath of 9/11, the institutional structures that surround the president, the political and social pressures of the time, the accepted wisdom regarding Saddam Hussein and the international factors at work, says Harvey, Gore “[would have been] compelled ... to make many of the same interim (generally praised) decisions for many of the same reasons. Momentum would have done the rest.”

There are several threads to Harvey’s argument, which you can read in its entirety here. At the risk of oversimplifying a very detailed examination, here are a few of the arguments he makes:
• Despite its universal acceptance, the prevailing theory of the war, which Harvey calls “neoconism” “remains an unsubstantiated assertion, a ‘theory’ without theoretical content, an argument devoid of logic or perspective ... Even the most superficial review of its central tenets reveals serious logical, empirical and theoretical flaws.”

For instance, he notes, it presumes that Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and a few like-minded ideologues “had the intellectual prowess and political skills to manipulate the preferences, perceptions and priorities” of non-neocons such as Tony Blair and Colin Powell; the majority of both parties in both houses of Congress; the leadership of foreign policy and intelligence committees in the House and Senate -- including every senior Democrat; most European leaders; “every member of the UN Security Council (including France, Russia and China) who unanimously endorsed UN Security Council Resolution 1441; and 60%-70% of the American people at the time.

• The “neocon” argument presumes Gore, in the same circumstances, would not have been presented with similar advice or faced pressures to act in a similar way. Harvey suggests this is wishful thinking. “In fact, all of the relevant evidence from Gore’s entire political career – his speeches on Iraq, contributions to the 2000 campaign debates on foreign affairs, policy announcements and interviews” argue Gore would have been at least as aggressive as Bush. As Harvey points out:

“Gore was a foreign policy hawk. He consistently opposed efforts to cut defense spending, supported Reagan’s decisions to bomb Libya, invade Grenada, aid the Contras in the 80s, and fund the B-1 and B-2 bomber and MX missile programs.” Gore and his running mate, Senator Joe Lieberman, both backed the 1991 Gulf War. As Vice President, Gore supported military actions in Bosnia and Kosovo, and “consistently adopted the hardest line in the Clinton administration when dealing with Saddam Hussein.” When President Clinton decided to abort his four-day bombing of Iraq in 1998, Gore opposed backing down “despite the absence of UN Security Council endorsement.”

Gore was surrounded by advisers who shared his hawkish views, whose speeches, statements and policy positions at the time give no hint they were reluctant to use force to bring Saddam Hussein into line.

• Bush did not invent the conditions or attitudes at the time. Gore would have been presented with the same flawed intelligence on Iraq’s weapons capabilities, faced the same public fears and pressures and the same international concerns. “Every member of the UN Security Council (including the war’s strongest critics, France and Russia)” unanimously endorsed the belief that Saddam had maintained proscribed weapons and was actively frustrating UN efforts to find them, Harvey writes.

“Anyone looking for reasons to be worried about Iraq could easily ignore speeches by Bush, Cheney or Rumsfeld and focus instead on those delivered by Clinton (Bill or Hillary), Gore and Kerry; they could ignore the 2002 [National Intelligence Estimate] and read the NIEs published over the previous five years; or they could simply read the reports by UNMOVIC’s chief weapons inspector Hans Blix, or UNSCOM’s inspector Scott Ritter (one of the war’s strongest critics).”

• The faulty intelligence was backed up by Saddam’s bizarre efforts to encourage such beliefs, in hopes it would reduce the danger of a second conflict with Iran. There is no reason to believe Saddam would have acted differently under a Gore administration.​

Harvey notes that the decision to invade was not made overnight but culminated from a series of escalating steps involving the UN and a host of international leaders, both friendly and otherwise.
“President Gore would have been compelled to make all of the same rational moves to get inspectors back into Iraq,” he concludes. “Strategically, the only way to accomplish this goal through multilateral diplomacy would have been to follow the same basic strategy. The competing counterfactual claim that none of these decisions would have been taken is simply not credible.”

He adds: “The only significant difference would have been the size of the invading force – Gore would probably have recommended a much larger troop deployment in line with General Anthony Zinni’s plan under the Clinton administration (OPPLAN 1003-98, originally approved in 1996 and updated in 1998, called for 400,000 troops). Boosted by the confidence of deploying this many troops, and concerned about the cost of sustaining such a large force through prolonged (and unsuccessful) inspections, Gore would have been more, not less inclined to accept the risks of war. It is highly unlikely that a sitting Democratic President would have survived the 2004 election if he decided against enforcing “all necessary means” or “serious consequences” in favour of the French-Russian position.

National Post

Photo: Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore speaks at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York in September (REUTERS/Chip East)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...d-iraq-unquestionably-suggests-new-study.aspx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
If Gore would have been elected there would be no sept. 11th bullshit or paternal pressure.
Doesn't the accepted evidence indicate that planning for the September 11, 2001 attack began sometime in 1996 while Bill Clinton was President? - see, Suspect 'reveals 9/11 planning', BBC, September 22, 2003. If so, doesn't that indicate that 9-11 would have occurred, no matter who was elected president in 2000, unless the attack plan was discovered and interrupted ???

I'm not saying that I buy into Frank Harvey's conclusions in the article above but, what is the evidence or reasoning that says, he's wrong ???

QueEX

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Doesn't the accepted evidence indicate that planning for the September 11, 2001 attack began sometime in 1996 while Bill Clinton was President? - see, Suspect 'reveals 9/11 planning', BBC, September 22, 2003. If so, doesn't that indicate that 9-11 would have occurred, no matter who was elected president in 2000, unless the attack plan was discovered and interrupted ???

I'm not saying that I buy into Frank Harvey's conclusions in the article above but, what is the evidence or reasoning that says, he's wrong ???

QueEX
That 911 would have occcurred no matter what stuff if bullshit imo.
The fact Bush put antiterrorism out of the cabinet, ignored warnings(remember the memos?) and that norad alert on 9-11 about terrorists attacking using planes that was scheduled in advance say that it was allowed to happen to me. Gore might have allowed it to happen as well but saying it couldnt have been prevented seems to be a reach.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the planes hit the towers was that Bush would use it to destroy our civil rights and it was true.
Cmon Norad runnin terrorist plane attack maneuvers the day of the terrorist plane attacks?

Actor4Truth

Star
Registered
The fact Bush put antiterrorism out of the cabinet, ignored warnings(remember the memos?) and that norad alert on 9-11 about terrorists attacking using planes that was scheduled in advance say that it was allowed to happen to me. Gore might have allowed it to happen as well but saying it couldnt have been prevented seems to be a reach.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the planes hit the towers was that Bush would use it to destroy our civil rights and it was true.
Cmon Norad runnin terrorist plane attack maneuvers the day of the terrorist plane attacks?

Very True..! to many "coincidences" on that day...:rolleyes: Also I still don"t see how 7 WTC " collapsed" that shit was "pulled".. curiously it housed the SEC, IRS, Secret Service, NYC Office of Emergency Management, INS, and the CIA..(amongst others).. I wonder how many files were destroyed..?:hmm: But I believe Uncle Sam had that shit planned for a while... In the Words of the late George Carlin " Its a great big club, and your not in it...!"

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

If you're saying that 911 was "allowed" to happen as in the actions of the Bush administration were "intended to cause an attack", I would respectfully disagree based on the known or accepted facts. If, on the other hand, your argument is that 911 was allowed to happen through our "Negligence", I wouldn't argue against that conclusion.

BTW, it appears that the kind of NORAD alert you mentioned may not have happened as some a believed. I hate to cite Wiki on anything, however, the sources it cites in United States military and Department of Defense ongoing and scheduled operations and exercises for September 11, 2001 appear to be credible and refute that theory, though I admit I haven't read them all.

Nevertheless, whether or not 911 would have occurred is immaterial to whether Gore would or would not have invaded Iraq -- unless, however, one first concludes that there was a nexus between 911 and Saddam Hussein. Without such a nexus, what, if anything, would have driven Gore to invade Iraq instead of strongly and continuously pursuing Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and elsewhere, in hot pursuit ??? That, I think, is the question.

QueEx

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
If you're saying that 911 was "allowed" to happen as in the actions of the Bush administration were "intended to cause an attack", I would respectfully disagree based on the known or accepted facts. If, on the other hand, your argument is that 911 was allowed to happen through our "Negligence", I wouldn't argue against that conclusion.

BTW, it appears that the kind of NORAD alert you mentioned may not have happened as some a believed. I hate to cite Wiki on anything, however, the sources it cites in United States military and Department of Defense ongoing and scheduled operations and exercises for September 11, 2001 appear to be credible and refute that theory, though I admit I haven't read them all.

Nevertheless, whether or not 911 would have occurred is immaterial to whether Gore would or would not have invaded Iraq -- unless, however, one first concludes that there was a nexus between 911 and Saddam Hussein. Without such a nexus, what, if anything, would have driven Gore to invade Iraq instead of strongly and continuously pursuing Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and elsewhere, in hot pursuit ??? That, I think, is the question.

QueEx
I posted video of Cynthia McKinney questioning Rumsfeld about it before on this board.

Negligence or intentual is all the same to me - it happened due to them. Its the difference between murder and manslaughter.

The article you posted makes a reference to 9-11 compelling Gore's hand. The question is how much conjecture fits on the head of a needle?

This entire discussion is about as real as a game of dungeons and dragons
:) merry xmas bruh

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

QueEx

To add on your point *in which I agree 100 percent....*, everyone must remember that during the Clinton years, we were attacked four times.
WTC 1 back in 1993
Somalia
USS Cole
Oklahoma City *if you want to count that*

Gore would be forced to be a strong president. BTW, queex, go find that youtube video when Gore was talking down to Daddy Bush about him not finishing the job in Iraq. If that's not evidence to support your article, then I don't know what is...

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
. . . go find that youtube video when Gore was talking down to Daddy Bush about him not finishing the job in Iraq. If that's not evidence to support <u>your article</u>, then I don't know what is...
Correction: "the article" -- not, my article. I didn't post the article because I agree or disagaree with its conclusions. The article simply raised interesting questions worthy, perhaps, of debate/discussion.

QueEx

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Correction: "the article" -- not, my article. I didn't post the article because I agree or disagaree with its conclusions. The article simply raised interesting questions worthy, perhaps, of debate/discussion.

QueEx

lol i was meaning your article you posted. I know you didn't actually WRITE the story...LOL

Do you agree with the article? *trust me, if you do or don't, you still have major credibility on this forum.*

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Do you agree with the article?

The major premise of the article:

National Post said:
“Frank Harvey, a research professor of international relations at Dalhousie University . . . In a new paper for the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute . . . finds [that] Had he been elected . . . Al Gore [would] have taken the same path as George Bush . . .”
No, I do not agree with Frank Harvey's assessment.

• I think when you remove the yellow-cake evidence which had been refuted prior to the invasion; and when you consider that even if Saddam had some kind of WMD, no case was ever made to show that Iraq had the "Launch-Capability" to deliver a nuclear or WMD strike upon soil important to the U.S. (except, perhaps, Israel) -- the case for invasion weakens, substantially.

• Please do not forget that at all times leading up to the invasion Saddam was under "Containment" (See, my arguments here at post #57). Containment had been a Clinton-Gore policy, hence, I doubt there would have been the sense of urgency to invade as we saw with G.W.

• I don't believe that Lieberman as Vice President would have behaved anywhere near the way Cheney did and I doubt that Gore's SecDef would have been the hard-headed want-to-know-it-all ass like Ronald Dumsfeld.

Harvey tries to make the case that Gore was a big "Hawk". Maybe so; but medium sized balls on a democrat look a lot larger. Even if, however, Gore saw a need to flex, he had many options (many being variations of the no-fly zones, etc., already in place), short of invasion.

But foremostly:

• If no one in G.W.'s administration has made the link between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with even an iota of credibility, why would Al Gore have been thinking invasion of Iraq, anyway ? ? ?

QueEx

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
I doubt Gorre would have invaded Iraq because he would have his neocon (and yes, he had a lot of neocon in him) foil with nBin Laden. Maybe if he caught Bin Laden quick, he might have been emboldened to war wioth Iraq. Gore had many strong statements about Hussein, contrary to what many Democrats may think.

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The major premise of the article:

No, I do not agree with Frank Harvey's assessment.

• I think when you remove the yellow-cake evidence which had been refuted prior to the invasion; and when you consider that even if Saddam had some kind of WMD, no case was ever made to show that Iraq had the "Launch-Capability" to deliver a nuclear or WMD strike upon soil important to the U.S. (except, perhaps, Israel) -- the case for invasion weakens, substantially.

• Please do not forget that at all times leading up to the invasion Saddam was under "Containment" (See, my arguments here at post #57). Containment had been a Clinton-Gore policy, hence, I doubt there would have been the sense of urgency to invade as we saw with G.W.

• I don't believe that Lieberman as Vice President would have behaved anywhere near the way Cheney did and I doubt that Gore's SecDef would have been the hard-headed want-to-know-it-all ass like Ronald Dumsfeld.

Harvey tries to make the case that Gore was a big "Hawk". Maybe so; but medium sized balls on a democrat look a lot larger. Even if, however, Gore saw a need to flex, he had many options (many being variations of the no-fly zones, etc., already in place), short of invasion.

But foremostly:

• If no one in G.W.'s administration has made the link between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with even an iota of credibility, why would Al Gore have been thinking invasion of Iraq, anyway ? ? ?

QueEx

I think after 9-11, he would have got a lot of pressure to do something profound. Would he invade Iraq? I really have no clue to be honest. However, I do believe if he had, he would of got more support than Bush had received internationally. One thing I must add, I do believe we would of got attacked again if Gore was president.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I think after 9-11, he would have got a lot of pressure to do something profound. Would he invade Iraq? I really have no clue to be honest. However, I do believe if he had, he would of got more support than Bush had received internationally.
Well, just recall that we did do something profound and, rather quickly: we went where we should have gone -- into Afghanistan. I feel certain that Gore would have gone there, just as G.W., on the other hand, we would have probably gone into Afghanistan even if you or I were at the steering wheel. LOL -- but Iraq, that would have been a different matter.

3A said:
One thing I must add, I do believe we would of got attacked again if Gore was president.
We agree again. I don't really see how the Bush/Cheney cabal did or failed to do anything that caused the FBI and others to fail to connect the dots before 9-11 (unless I have forgotten something); and I think it was Al Qaeda's intent to hit the U.S., irrespective of who happened to be president.

QUESTION: Would it have made a difference to Al Qaeda had Barack Obama been president on September 11, 2001 ? ? ?

QueEx

Partial_Mathers

Star
Registered
Well, just recall that we did do something profound and, rather quickly: we went where we should have gone -- into Afghanistan. I feel certain that Gore would have gone there, just as G.W., on the other hand, we would have probably gone into Afghanistan even if you or I were at the steering wheel. LOL -- but Iraq, that would have been a different matter.

We agree again. I don't really see how the Bush/Cheney cabal did or failed to do anything that caused the FBI and others to fail to connect the dots before 9-11 (unless I have forgotten something); and I think it was Al Qaeda's intent to hit the U.S., irrespective of who happened to be president.

QUESTION: Would it have made a difference to Al Qaeda had Barack Obama been president on September 11, 2001 ? ? ?

QueEx

Why should we have invaded Afghanistan again?

There has been NO REASON to start war to solve a problem, in the last hundred years, at least. Read USMC Major General Smedley Butler's book War is a Racket (www.warisaracket.com for free) . It is ONLY about setting the stage for rape of nations by international banks, NEVER about freedom or security for the majority of humanity.

Case in point : British Military Intelligence(MI6) is responsible for all terrorist bombings in Great Britain/Ireland/Scotland for the last 25 years, including the 7/7/05 bombings. A black man was on one of those buses that got bombed, and told his story of how he saw the military setting up for something as the bus left its designated course and parked outside of Tavistock Institute, the purported institute Josef Stalin, Winston Churchill, Adolf Hitler and Chairman Mao were all trained at. They created the IRA, just like the CIA created Al Qaeda! Just like Israeli intelligence, MOSSAD, created Hamas, who they are using as a scapegoat to murder innocent children.

Partial index of overwhelming evidence here
http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/london/index.htm
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7718
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satell...monFrame&tbId=1219279537823&tbNum=8&type=Show
http://www.wariscrime.com/2008/12/29/news/hamas-was-founded-by-mossad/

Keep in mind Zbiegnew Brzezinski, the man who created the problems in Afghanistan to begin with, is Obama's foreign policy adviser...

Partial_Mathers

Star
Registered

Hahaha, Bill CLinton is an even bigger terrorist than George W. Bush. He took the FBI off the trail of Bin Laden before he left office. There were transcripts in the New York Times of the NY head of FBI giving terrorists the explosives which went off in 93 at the WTC. This all documented. The FBI gave the terrorists the full confidence of then President Bill Clinton. Why wouldn't Bill CLinton be planning ahead. Some of the 9/11 terrorists were trained on U.S. military bases. Wake up! Dick Cheney told NORAD to stand down and let the Pentagon be attacked...

watchin

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
No I don't think this theory is even remotely accurate. War with Iraq was based on this idea of Pre-emption. The infamous Bush Doctrine. This doctrine actually was penned way back into the first Bush's presidency. The authors included none other than the NEO-Con Hawks themselves. Rumsfield, Wolfwitz, Cheney et all. To suggest that that Gore would have been under the same influence is asinine.

We definitely would have gone to war with Afghanistan and the Taliban/Al Queda no matter who was in office.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
No I don't think this theory is even remotely accurate. War with Iraq was based on this idea of Pre-emption. The infamous Bush Doctrine. This doctrine actually was penned way back into the first Bush's presidency. The authors included none other than the NEO-Con Hawks themselves. Rumsfield, Wolfwitz, Cheney et all. To suggest that that Gore would have been under the same influence is asinine.

We definitely would have gone to war with Afghanistan and the Taliban/Al Queda no matter who was in office.
The same shit BushI wouldnt dare due because he wasn't about to get into an urban guerilla conflict. Bush II went for the golden fleece- oil & empire - and only got off fleecing the govt with no bid contracts and the people with oil prices and casualties and shitty troop reclamation programs.