Why So Many Minority Millennials Can't Get Ahead

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
:colin::colin::colin::colin::colin::colin::colin:

Why So Many Minority Millennials Can't Get Ahead

Without the financial support that many white families can provide, minority young people have to continually make sacrifices that set them back.

The year after my father died, I graduated from grad school, got a new job, and looked forward to saving for a down payment on my first home, a dream I had always had, but found lofty. I pulled up a blank spreadsheet and made a line item called “House Fund.”

That same week I got a call from my mom—she was struggling to pay off my dad’s funeral expenses. I looked at my “House Fund” and sighed. Then I deleted it and typed the words “Funeral Fund” instead.

My father’s passing was unexpected. And so was the financial burden that came with it.

For many Millennials of color, these sorts of trade-offs aren’t an anomaly. During key times in their lives when they should be building assets, they’re spending money on basic necessities and often helping out family. Their financial future is a rocky one, and much of it comes down to how much—or how little—assistance they receive.

A seminal study published in the Journal of Economic Perspectives on wealth accumulation estimates that as much as 20 percent of wealth can be attributed to formal and informal gifts from family members, especially parents. And it starts early. In college, black and Hispanic Millennials are more likely to have to work one or two jobs to get through, missing out on opportunities to connect with classmates who have time to tinker around in dorm rooms and go on to found multibillion-dollar companies together. Many of them take on higher levels of student debt than their white peers, often to pay for routine expenses, such as textbooks, that their parents are less likely to subsidize.

“Student debt is the biggest millstone around Millennials, period, and an even larger and heavier one around the necks of black Millennials,” said Tom Shapiro, the director of the Institute on Assets and Social Policy. “It really hits those doing the right thing. [They’re] going through all the hoops.” He explained that, unlike in previous decades when college tuition was drastically lower, the risks of educational costs are now passed down to the individual.

Recent polls indicate that a large portion of Millennials receive financial help from parents. At least 40 percent of the 1,000 Millennials (ages 18 to 34) polled in a March USA Today/Bank of America poll get help from parents on everyday expenses. A Clark University poll indicated an even higher number, with almost three-quarters of parents reporting that they provide their Millennial children with financial support. Another survey saw nearly a third of Baby Boomers paying for Millennials’ medical expenses. A quarter of Boomers subsidized “other expenses” so their Millennial offspring could save money. Black and Hispanic Americans are less likely to be the recipients of this type of support.

Ironically, even though black and Hispanic Millennials are less likely to receive financial support from parents, their parents are more likely than white parents to expect their kids to help financially support them later on. According to the Clark poll, upward of 80 percent of black parents and 70 percent of Hispanic parents expect to be supported. And most studies show that a primary reason why people of color are unable to save as adults is because they give financial support to close family. This is important because when emergencies happen, many Millennials won’t have the reserve money to cover them.

A Millennial who gets regular financial gifts and support from parents will either have the money to cover an emergency themselves, or (more likely) have a parent or grandparent cover it so there’s no damage to their credit. They won’t have to borrow from predatory-lending institutions, move into unsafe neighborhoods to save on rent, or start from financial scratch each time.

It doesn’t even have to be a life emergency. In the decision between paying for a professional networking event or a cell-phone bill, the latter is likely to win out. It should come as no surprise that Millennials who are free to choose both are likely to benefit more in the long run. When this happens once or twice on a small scale, it’s not a big deal. It’s the collective impact of a series of decisions that matters, the result of which is displayed among ethnic and class lines and grounded in historical privilege.

And the help doesn’t end when Millennials enter the next stage of adulthood. It’s not just young, out-of-work Millennials who get help from parents or family members, according to the USA Today poll: Even Millennials making $75,000 or more said they had gotten money from their parents for basic necessities. Twenty percent of parents paid for their children’s groceries, and more than 20 percent contributed money for clothing. Even 20 percent of cohabitating Millennials still had a parent paying for expenses like cell phone bills, according to the poll.

Shapiro said the numbers of Millennials receiving support from family are “absolutely underestimated” because many survey questions are not as methodical and specific as those a sociologist might ask. “As much as 90 percent of what you’ll hear isn’t picked up in the survey,” he said.

Shapiro’s work pays special attention to the role of intergenerational family support in wealth building. He coined the term “transformative assets” to refer to any money acquired through family that facilitates social mobility beyond what one’s current income level would allow for. And it’s not that parents and other family members are exceptionally altruistic, either. “It’s how we all operate,” Shapiro said. “Resources tend to flow to people who are more needy.”

Racial disparity in transformative assets became especially striking to Shapiro during interviews with middle-class black Americans. “They almost always talk about financial help they give family members. People come to them,” Shapiro said. But when he asked white interviewees if they were lending financial support to family members, he said, “I almost always get laughter. They’re still getting subsidized.”

These small savings add up over time. Commentary often centers on the dire circumstances Millennials inherited (“It’s the recession, stupid!”) or the defective attributes of recipients (“Millennials are too entitled!”). But these oversimplified viewpoints miss the point of how some Millennials and their parents are able to weather tumultuous financial terrain in the first place—and more, how intergenerational financial support contributes to these Millennials’ long-term wealth-building capacity.

To many Millennials, the small influxes of cash from parents are a lifeline, a financial relief they’re hard pressed to find elsewhere. To researchers, however, it’s both a symptom and an exacerbating factor of wealth inequality. In a 2004 CommonWealth magazine interview, Shapiro explained that gifts like this are “often not a lot of money, but it’s really important money. It’s a kind of money that allows families to obtain something for themselves and for their children that they couldn’t do on their own.”

To be sure, gift-giving parents see it as a step in helping their Millennial children reach financial independence. But the bigger picture is that their support acts as a stabilizing factor now, and an inheriting factor later. The Institute on Assets and Social Policy’s “The Roots of the Widening Racial Wealth Gap” found that every dollar in financial family support received by a white American yielded 35 cents in wealth growth. For a black individual, family support is much more essential to their financial trajectory: Every dollar received yielded 51 cents in wealth growth. Millennials of all backgrounds would certainly benefit from increased financial family support, but where one winds up depends a lot on where one started.

Wealth inequality can’t be discussed without talking about race; within the American context, they are inseparable. So the fact that Millennials of color feel the impact of a precarious financial foundation more acutely is not a surprise. For black Millennials in particular, studies point to a legacy of discrimination over several centuries that contributed to less inherited wealth passed down from previous generations. This financial disparity stems from continuous shortfalls in their parents’ net worth and low homeownership rates among blacks, which works to create an unlevel playing field.

As a result, the median wealth of white households is 13 times the median wealth of black households. In addition, the most recent housing bust is estimated to have wiped out half of the collective wealth of black families—
a setback of two generations.

“It was just incredible,” Shapiro said. “It hit hardest those groups latest to becoming home buyers.” Homeownership makes up a large amount of black families’ wealth composition, accounting for over 50 percent of wealth for blacks, compared with just 39 percent for whites. Shapiro also pointed out that the people impacted by the housing crisis were likely to be the parents of Millennials.

Even with equal advances in income, education, and other factors, wealth grows at far lower rates for black households because they usually need to use financial gains for everyday needs rather than long-term savings and asset building. Each dollar in income increase yields $5.19 in wealth for white American households, but only 69 cents for black American households. In addition, while many Americans don’t have adequate savings, the rate is far higher for families of color: 95 percent of African American and 87 percent of Latino middle-class families do not have enough net assets to meet most of their essential living expenses for even three months if their source of income were to disappear. If Millennials of color aren’t getting as much financial help, it’s because there’s just not as much help for their families to give.

It’s more than just lack of “pocket money” from parents that impacts Millennials of color. The last significant stop on life’s journey is often an economically definitive one too, when parents and grandparents pass away and leave an inheritance.

According to the Institute on Assets and Social Policy, white Americans are five times more likely to inherit than black Americans (36 percent to 7 percent, respectively). And even when both groups received an inheritance, white Americans received about 10 times more. “It’s really a double whammy,” Shapiro said. On the flip side, black Millennials and other low-asset groups are much more likely to go into debt when a family member passes away. It’s not uncommon for some families to throw bake sales and engage in other fund-raising activities to bury their relatives.

A 2013 Washington Post article also noted that “black families rarely benefited from inheritances and gifts to help them make down payments on homes. The result was that black families typically bought homes eight years later than whites, giving them less time to build equity.”

“That’s an eight-year window of not paying rent and building equity,” Shapiro said.

And the life cycle of homeownership-related matters is an onerous one for black Americans to begin with. The researchers Kerwin Charles and Erik Hurst found that black mortgage applicants were almost twice as likely to be rejected for a loan in the first place, even when credit profile and household wealth were controlled for.

The same study found that almost half of white Americans got money from a family source for a home down payment, while nine in 10 black Americans had to come up with their entire down payment on their own—which had the effect of disincentivizing younger black renters from buying. “Even when they were able to buy a home,” the Post article said, “the typical black family did not see that property appreciate as much as did the typical white family.”

It all adds up to a slice of the racial wealth gap that’s hard to grasp because it’s made up of many smaller inequalities instead of one massive one. It’s not the difference between a silver spoon and a dirt floor—it’s the one between textbook money and a campus job. It’s not the difference between the 1 percent and the destitute—it’s the one between a birthday card from Grandma and paying her hospital bill. The gap in gifts, debts, and inheritances creates a vicious cycle with large ramifications for many black Millennials and their financial future—and when combined with redlining and unequal returns on income and education, the odds are stacked in a terrible way.

My father left me with many things of value: a love of creation, an affinity for literature, a deep sense of integrity, and a penchant for easily making friends out of strangers. He loved America, despite the times it relegated him to the back doors of its restaurants as a “colored man.” He placed glossy graduation photos of me from high school and college in nooks around the house like prized medallions. They symbolized his version of the American dream, in which his children—his Millennials—would accomplish more than he ever could.

For his sake and mine, I hope he’s right.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/11/gifts-debts-inheritances/417423/

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Related story:

For some black women, economy and willingness to aid family strains finances

The Great Recession carried special pain for black women like Jane Ladson.

She had always been the one her family turned to when they needed help, and she didn’t hesitate to give it. She helped pay for weddings and rent. She made room for her nephew when her brother died of AIDS. And even now in her 50s, she took in a baby that wasn’t her own.

But help was easier to give when the economy was booming and Ladson was bringing home $4,000 a month as a mechanic at Amtrak. Even an injury on the job turned into a blessing in disguise when she collected a $700,000 settlement that allowed her to build her dream home in Clinton and help her longtime partner start her own hair salon.

Then the recession hit, and fate twisted the other way. A slip on the stairs of her home has kept her out of work since the spring. The hair salon struggled to keep customers. Ladson was forced to sell her car and fell behind on her mortgage. Foreclosure notices began replacing dinner invitations.

And yet, like so many other black women, Ladson continues to shoulder the burden of supporting her extended family of siblings, cousins, nephews and grandkids.

Across the country, black women are bearing a heavier responsibility for family and friends than their white counterparts, even as they struggle to emerge from an economic downturn that has hit them harder.

A survey by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation reveals that black women have more trouble paying their bills or getting a loan than white women. And they are trying to regain their footing in a world where more than half feel as though they do not have the skills and education to compete for a job.

The Post-Kaiser poll of more than 800 black women is the most extensive exploration of the lives and views of African American women in decades. In nearly 20 extended interviews with women who participated in the survey, a picture of frustration and resilience emerged.

Nearly half of the women surveyed said they help out elderly relatives, and more than a third regularly assist friends or family with child care — outpacing white women in both cases.

That means the ongoing distress felt by black women can quickly ripple through their social networks. Black women may be the pillars of their communities, but the recession has left the foundation cracked.

“To depend on anybody, as far as I’m concerned, it’s just something I couldn’t think of,” Ladson said, tearing up. “I was sad that I couldn’t help anybody, but I was even sadder I couldn’t help myself.”

Responsibility to help family
Looking back, 57-year-old Ladson can see where things went wrong.

Her injury settlement enabled her to buy a home in the 1990s. But instead of paying off her mortgage, she participated in the boom in cheap loans in the years before the recession. In the black community in particular, fast and loose credit became widely available for purchases such as cars and homes, seemingly offering a pathway to the good life.

Besides, there were better things to do with the money, she thought at the time, such as investing in the overheated stock market and cruising to the Bahamas.

There were also her friends and family to think about. Her three-story home in the leafy subdivision of Mount Airy Estates became not only the gathering place for holidays and get-togethers, but also a refuge. The preteen nephew she took in is grown now, but he still drops by to help her put up decorations during the holidays. A framed photo of him wearing a cap and gown at his high school graduation sits prominently in her living room.

Three years ago, Ladson learned that Pat Body, her partner of 25 years, needed a safe place for her great-granddaughter to stay. The girl was just an infant, and Ladson was nearing retirement. But how could she say no?

Now, 3-year-old Kaila Kirksey refers to Ladson as Auntie Jane, and the dream house is filled with stuffed animals and plastic teacups, the television tuned to the Disney Channel.

According to the Post-Kaiser poll, 36 percent of black women said they regularly help friends or family with child care, compared with 24 percent of white women. And 49 percent said they regularly assist elderly relatives, while 39 percent of white women did.

That dynamic persists even though the economic boom has given way to a harsher financial reality. Nearly three-quarters of black women worry about not having enough money to pay their bills, more than white men or women. Black women are more than twice as likely as white women to report problems meeting their rent or mortgage payments. Twenty-nine percent had burdensome medical bills, compared with 22 percent of white women. Nearly a quarter of black women had trouble getting a loan, while just 16 percent of white women did.

The findings dovetail with previous research by economists and sociologists that consistently show that black middle-class families tend to provide financial help to family members — especially parents and siblings — at higher rates than other racial groups. A study last year by the Urban Institute found that African Americans are more likely to receive familial support than whites and Hispanics, although the dollar amounts tend to be smaller.

“I think many African Americans feel a special obligation to those family members who have not done as well,” said Margaret Simms, a fellow at the Urban Institute and director of the group’s Low-Income Working Families project, who led the organization’s study, which did not take gender into consideration. “When you have higher incidences of unemployment and poverty in the African American community, you find that their better-off kin will be more likely to give.”

Experts who have studied these trends said that black families’ generosity may come with consequences. A 2005 study by economists N.S. Chiteji and Darrick Hamilton found that black families, more than their white counterparts, struggle to build wealth because of the financial circumstances of their relatives.

“It may be that basic character traits like compassion and generosity combined with the tendency to have less fortunate relatives may actually explain the adverse outcomes experienced by some middle-class families,” said Chiteji, a professor of economics at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Several women interviewed said they put their own plans on hold so they could help others. The Post-Kaiser poll found that 60 percent of black women have loaned money to friends or family, with the rate rising to 73 percent among those who earn $65,000 or more. Margaret Wilson, 49, from Little Rock, said that she used some of her retirement savings to help her sister and brother-in-law stave off foreclosure.

“She’s always been my baby sister, and I feel that responsibility,” she said. “It’s really as simple as that.”

Kathy James, 41, a married social worker from outside St. Louis, said her sister, Janice Francis, came to her for financial help after both she and her husband lost their jobs over the course of 18 months in 2008 and 2009. James said Francis, 47, and her husband saw their $125,000 annual household income slashed by 75 percent and were close to losing their home.

James offered to loan them six months of mortgage payments and other living costs while the couple got back on their feet — even though she had been saving the money to return to school for her master’s degree. The couple hasn’t been able to start repaying her yet, but James said she won’t charge her sister interest.

“It’s what you do as family, really, so I didn’t really think too much of it,” James said in an interview.

She said Francis was like a surrogate parent to her after their mother died when they were children. So, she said, she sees any help she offers her big sister and her family as part of the responsibility the sisters have to take care of each other, which they have been doing for nearly 40 years.

“My family is my community,” she said. “Of course I have to think about my family’s future and how we need to ensure we are okay . . . If I was faced with the decision 10 times again, I’d make the same decision again 10 times over.”

A financial setback
The fall came fast for Jane Ladson.

As poor investment decisions and unchecked spending ate away at her settlement money, Ladson ended up refinancing her mortgage and stripping the equity in her home. These types of shoddy loans helped drive the financial crisis, and several studies have found that black homeowners in particular were targeted. Ladson said she owes $308,000 on the house — more than she originally paid for it.

At first, paying the new mortgage wasn’t a problem. But in April, she slipped on the stairs of her home and tore the rotator cuff in her left shoulder. Ladson could barely lift the laundry basket, much less handle the heavy manual labor at Amtrak. Soon, like millions of Americans who found themselves laid off or unable to work in recent years, Jane felt the life she had spent the past two decades building start to slip from her fingers.

Among the first things to go was the Lincoln Navigator she bought during brighter times. Then came the foreclosure notices. By the fall, Ladson was standing in line for food baskets from local charities. She never told her friends or family how bad things got.

But some things remained inviolate, like day care for Kaila. Ladson was never late on a payment. She even bought Christmas presents for Kaila months in advance, in case her budget got tight at the end of the year.

On a recent morning at her home, Ladson lifted Kaila into her high chair for breakfast, ignoring the pain in her shoulder. Ladson quickly whipped up a batch of bacon and quarter-sized pancakes for Kaila and set them on her tray.

“Put your hands together,” Ladson instructed before Kaila could take a bite. “Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this food.”

With Kaila safely occupied, Jane divided her attention between a second batch of pancakes on the griddle and a stack of thick envelopes about her disability benefits. Just before Christmas, her doctor told her she couldn’t go back to work.

Ladson sees the diagnosis as a temporary setback. She has five years to figure out a new game plan, thanks to a government program that temporarily lowered her mortgage payments. She remains resolutely optimistic about the future, mirroring a slight rise in the number of black women who are happy with their lives despite the obstacles they face.

Fifty-one percent of black women reported being “very satisfied” with their lives, according to the Post-Kaiser poll, up a bit from 46 percent in 2006. Satisfaction rates for white men and women decreased.

That’s why Ladson is still going to therapy, even though she can only afford treatment once a week. She has set a new goal: Return to work by the end of 2012.

On a gray winter morning while Kaila was in day care, Ladson used her arms to power a cycling machine at NovaCare Rehabilitation in Fort Washington. Only five minutes forward and five minutes backward, but soon she was grimacing in pain, sweat beading on her forehead. With 45 seconds left on the clock, Ladson paused for a break.

She isn’t clear on how much her disability checks will be; each letter from Amtrak seemed to provide a different estimate. She knows it won’t match the salary she made before the accident but hopes it is more than the limited payments she had been getting from her insurance company.

“If it’s less, I’m really not gonna make it,” Ladson said.

Too much was riding on her shoulders to give up hope of a job and the life she knew before. So Ladson started cycling again, even though only a few seconds were left on the timer.

Finally, it buzzed, and Ladson stopped to drink a glass of water, breathing heavily.

That was just the warm-up.

Polling manager Peyton M. Craighill and senior research analyst Kristina Meacham contributed to this report.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
This speaks to a phenomenon that I have personally witnessed as the first person in my family to graduate from college. Black people come up as INDIVIDUALS, not as a GROUP, or even a FAMILY. It seems that other people, especially immigrants, come up as a family. Whereas, with us, one person "makes it out," while still having brothers going to jail, sisters having too many kids, or even the parents on some other shit. It seems to be a regular thing with all of the college-educated black people I personally know.

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
This shows that choice, not race, is more of a determining factor when it comes to financial stress. In the first article, why didn't the father have life insurance ? Also, the value of marriage is highly discounted. When you have two long term full time paychecks (or one full time paycheck and no child care payments), the situation changes drastically. It is not the privilege of race, but the privilege of choice, that makes the difference. Whites tended to get and stay married. That tends to make a huge difference.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
This shows that choice, not race, is more of a determining factor when it comes to financial stress. In the first article, why didn't the father have life insurance ? Also, the value of marriage is highly discounted. When you have two long term full time paychecks (or one full time paycheck and no child care payments), the situation changes drastically. It is not the privilege of race, but the privilege of choice, that makes the difference. Whites tended to get and stay married. That tends to make a huge difference.

I agree marriage helps. I made this comment a while back:

"Everyone wants to quote a marriage stat of 70% OOW births, but for men who are missing, how many of them are locked up over some BS? Also they don't seem to recognize that not being married does not mean that the father is not present in their children's lives. If they want to go with that then every single father on this board is a piece of shit. People also live together and are not married. On one hand women are getting beat up over not being married, while black men instead of teaching young boys they should grow up, get married and start a family with a good woman they can build with, are instead teaching them that they should stay single as a long as they can and if possible, never get married. If a man is wealthy (has the means and resources to raise a family, make sure their kids have a stable environment, can provide a quality education etc) he is told he is stupid to get married and that all women want him for his his money so get a prenupt. If that is the case then you are left with poorer uneducated people, least able resource wise to provide as the ones reproducing. Also don't act like some men are not trying to play mind games with women, using not getting married as not bowing down to white mans rule, telling her she doesn't need a piece of paper to prove their love. All that is is an easy exit strategy."

Someone asked how what is in bold is a mind game and not just shedding the needing of cultural norms for validation.

My response was the benefits you get from being married. Black people by far and large aren't able to get the financial benefits of marriage because we aren't participating. There is a thread on the main board now that I'm scared to even click on asking why there are so many single black women, the implication being that is is shameful for us, a deficiency on our part. No one ever asks why it is that black men are single. They see it as a smart move for men to be single.

"There is nothing wrong in and of itself, but how many actually believe that vs how many want an easy way out?
When you are not married, unless you have set up power of attorney or a living will or some such, (more white man's rule),
if you go to the hospital, and are unable to speak for yourself, she or he has no say.
If you die, your wife and children get no benefits (social security, disability).
Likewise with military benefits.
You can't file a joint tax return if not married. You can't get the others retirement benefits in the case of death.
You can't take leave under FMLA to care for one another, or bereavement if one of you dies.
You can't sue someone for the others wrongful death.
If you end up in jail and there are restrictions for immediate family only, they can't visit you.
If you aren't married you can be forced to testify against each other in court.
Home ownership can be easier, if one of you dies, then a spouse can take ownership w/o estate taxes
Though this is not a shaming issue today generally speaking, unless the 70% oow rate is being used to shame black women, your
children are considered bastards."

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The economy plays a part too. I was fortunate to enter the workforce in the early 90's. I worked in manufacturing (IBM, Mitsubishi Semi conductors) making good money. Back then there was always an opening at these companies. Now you have 30 applicants for the same job.

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
The economy does not play as large of a part as many think, IMO. In an economy, much of your standing is relative. The 1% are the 1%, the poorest are the poorest. When you have a functioning family unit, your family is more robust. You can save more, and need less when times are lean. I do not see any way around it. The welfare system does not exist for children, but the adults who have them. In this society, those adults are likely to be never married mother head of households. I totally blame them, as well as I totally blame the men that impregnated them. In parenting, it's not 50/50, but 100/100. The responsibility is indivisible, as both participants need to do all of thier part to have a pregnancy.

When you get rid of lifestyle choice, the amount of those who would need basic assistance shrinks dramatically. And for those who are in need, there is more resources available from those around them. At that point, there will organically be more trans-generational resources available, as there is less of a draw due to other circumstances.

At the core, I believe the only way away from the situation posed in this post is to stop thinking that we are owed anything, and that it is up to us to make (and expect)better decisions NOW.

Malcolm X said that black people going to whites for help is like a mouse going to a cat for affection. And, one of the sigs here on BGOL said it best - "not having is no excuse for not getting".

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Lawrence and Nikki Gilliam have a plan.

The couple has been together for 30 years and raised two children — a son and a daughter who they put through college at Morehouse and Spelman, respectively. Gilliam works for a software firm, and his wife Nikki is an educator.

As a native of Los Angeles, Gilliam, 52, has seen the housing market change dramatically from the time he and his wife, 50, bought their first home together in 1996.

“It was a condo in View Park, and we got it for $130,000,” Gilliam said. “Considering what today’s market looks like, it’s kind of crazy to think about how accessible it was back then for two early professionals to scrape together the $8,000 we needed for a down payment and be able to buy that home.”

The median sales price of a home in Los Angeles in August was $980,000, according to Redfin.

In 2021, the Black homeownership rate in LA was 33.5%, according to the U.S. Census, the 124th lowest among metropolitan areas in America. At the same time, 58% of white households in the LA metro area owned homes. Besides a legacy of discriminatory housing practices and policies that historically prevented Black families from buying homes and building generational wealth, the National Association of Real Estate Brokers said, the ability to come up with the 20% down payment required to buy a home with a conventional mortgage is also an impediment.

In short, Black people often make enough money to pay a house note, but they lack the ability to build enough savings to make a down payment.

The high housing costs aren’t unique to big cities. In the 2023 Snapshot of Race and Home Buying in America, the National Association of Realtors Research Group said “rising mortgage rates and home prices significantly hurt affordability, forcing many buyers out of the market.” The report stated mortgage rates have doubled since the previous year and housing prices have reached an all-time high.

This creates a huge disparity in the way wealth is built in white families versus Black families. The Realtors research group noted that in 2019, the average net worth of a white family was $188,200 and Black families’ average net worth was only $24,100.

Additionally, while white home ownership has remained near 70% since 2017, only 41% of Black households own a home.

With rents also increasing, it means that it is even harder for families to save money to buy a home.

The Gilliams have watched the changes in the housing market over the years, and they said if they knew then what they know now, they would have held onto their first home when they bought their second home in 1999.

Their second and current home, a house in Leimert Park, was purchased from Gilliam’s mother and grandfather, and the Gilliams are insistent that their children keep it in the family and not sell it. They have set up the same plan for the home Gilliam’s mother and stepfather currently live in as well. Gilliam’s parents have three grandchildren, and each has an equal interest in their home, and it has been impressed upon the Gilliams that those homes should never be sold, no matter what.

“That is the plan,” Gilliam said. “These homes should be passed down generation after generation and never leave the family. Ever.”

Gilliam has watched as friends he grew up with inherited their parents’ homes in Baldwin Hills, View Park, Windsor Hills, and Leimert Park — four South Los Angeles neighborhoods that are considered some of the wealthiest Black areas in America.

The properties continue to appreciate in value, but a lot of his friends sold the homes their parents left them. Now, white families are moving into what used to be upwardly mobile Black enclaves, pricing out Black residents looking to buy.

“The worst part about it,” Gilliam said, “is they sold the homes when they only got $400,000 for them.” Today, houses in that section of the city regularly sell for upward of $1 million.

“It’s sad to see that happen, but I understand how and why it happens,” he said, citing the expense of maintaining a home as one example of why people sell homes they inherit. “I think it’s a shame that it does happen that way, but unfortunately given the finances of a lot of folks that we grew up with, if you inherit $300,000 and you’re 35 years old, you might just take that cash.

“That’s supposed to be an asset that can be a part of your financial structure for the next 50 years, or for the lifetime of your kids and their kids. But again, it’s easy to understand how it happens because a lot of times we don’t get those big paydays,” he said.

Nikki Gilliam agreed, but said that was part of the challenge facing Black people.

“I think it’s the way that we frame it and the way we look at it,” she said. “You just said, ‘We don’t often get those big paydays,’ and if we look at it like a payday, then we’ll cash out, right?”

The Gilliams consider their current home to be a “multigenerational inheritance,” and that is something that Gilliam is proud of.

“My mother and grandfather bought that house together in around 1991 or 1992. When my grandfather decided he didn’t want to live there anymore, my mother was going to keep the house anyway because she saw it as something she could pass down to her children. Nikki and I purchased the house from her, and now it’s ours to pass down to our children.”

Gilliam said thinking back, he wishes he and Nikki had kept their View Park condo because it could have been an asset to pass down to their children.

“At 29, having just gotten this other house from my parents, I didn’t have the wisdom to understand how it could have benefited us down the line.”

Darnell Lamont Walker, a 41-year-old writer for children’s television, said his motivation for acquiring real estate was to build generational wealth to pass down to his son who just started college.

At the time he bought his first home in 2020, he was working as a writer and script coordinator for Blue’s Clues.

“It was at the beginning of the pandemic. Rents in New York were way down, and I was considering moving to an apartment on the Upper West Side that had gone from $3,500 a month to $1,600 a month,” he said. “But then a friend said, ‘Didn’t you always say you wanted to live in a cabin? Why don’t you buy your cabin?’ ”

After that conversation, Walker saw a tweet in which someone had added up how much they’d spent over the years in rent and lamented about it. When Walker did the same, he knew it was time to make a change.

“I went on Zillow and literally just drew a big circle around all the trees in the Blue Ridge Mountains [in Georgia], and my cabin popped up, and I was like, that’s what I want. I got in touch with a Realtor, and she made it happen,” he said.

Walker said his “claim to fame” is that the cabin he built is located in the same woods where the events in the movie Cocaine Bear took place. “It’s about an hour and a half north of Atlanta, in the Chattahoochee National Forest,” he said.

After finding his forest hideaway, Walker got a call from his mother in November 2022 letting him know his grandmother was planning to sell her home in Detroit. A man had knocked on her door and offered her $11,000 for her four-bedroom, two-bath home. While he had no plans to move to Detroit, Walker looked up the appraisal value anyway and found out the house was worth $14,000.

He immediately caught a flight to Detroit so he could talk to his grandmother about purchasing her home.

“I offered her $12,000 in cash and told her she could stay in the home as long as she needed. I told her I would come back in the spring to do some renovations,” he said. Walker installed new plumbing and updated the kitchen. Though he says “it’s at 100%,” he still plans to continue to spruce up the place.

Through a program with the Detroit Land Bank Authority, Walker was able to purchase two lots behind his grandmother’s house.

The bank authority calls the program “Neighborhood Lots,” and it enables homeowners to purchase up to two vacant lots for $250 each that are within 500 feet of a home they already own.

“So now it looks like I have a huge backyard because the lots are on the street behind me and separated from the house by a small alley,” Walker said.

Walker is originally from Charlottesville, Virginia, and he said he recently attempted to buy a property there, but the deal fell through.

“This was one of the last Black-owned houses in the neighborhood where I grew up, and I thought if I could get this, I could hold onto it for years to come, but unfortunately, they went with a cash offer.”

Walker said he plans to continue to seek out more opportunities to buy properties because he wants to leave the future generations of his family something they can enjoy for years to come.

“I had these white friends when I was growing up in Virginia, and they would always say, ‘Hey, let’s go hang out at my uncle’s place for the weekend’ or ‘My grandmother has this cool house we can go to and just chill and have fun,’ ” he recalled.

“I want to have something like that so my kids and my nephews and nieces could just be like, ‘Hey, let’s just go to my uncle’s place,’ ” he said.

“It’s that, and it feels great having that, but it also feels great knowing I am building something for my son so that he will have a jump start in life,” Walker added.

Genie Lauren just closed on her first home at the end of August.

The 39-year-old New York City native works at a consulting firm, and she told Andscape her home-buying experience was a long one.

“People had told me about this program called NACA, and I initially looked into getting a home through them,” said Lauren, who began her search in 2021.

The Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America is a nonprofit organization that provides buyers with mortgages with low interest rates and no down payment needed, no closing costs or fees, and relaxed credit requirements in order to qualify for their loan products.

Lauren decided the program was not for her because it limited which neighborhoods she could live in, and went about finding a traditional real estate agent to help her with her search.

“I think I finally found a Realtor in early 2022,” she said. “We began going to open houses in the summer of 2022.

“I put an offer on a home … in either August or September of 2022. In the first week of October, I found out that a cash offer had swooped in and bought the house out from under me before we could get under contract.”

Lauren said the incident was upsetting and left her exhausted. It’s also quite common, especially with corporations gobbling up hundreds of thousands of single-family homes to rent them out. While it might be a boon for Wall Street, it makes it more difficult for first-time homebuyers like Lauren to find an affordable home.

After losing out to a cash offer and competing with other buyers on multiple houses, Lauren said, she “needed a breather from the whole house hunting process.”

“I took a break until after the holidays and began looking in earnest in February of this year with a whole new Realtor, and she was great,” she said.

By April, Lauren had put an offer in on two houses, one of which ended up in probate and was therefore unable to be sold. The second home had been on and off the market for some time.

Lauren said the house she eventually bought was near the first house she bid on — the house she really wanted.

“They accepted my offer sometime in May, and we finally closed on Aug. 25,” she said. “It’s been a long road with lots of ups and downs, but I’m finally here. A first-time homeowner. By myself.”

Lauren is single with no children, and she said going through this process on her own was daunting. She doesn’t recommend it for anyone else — especially in this market.

“Not unless you’re rich,” she said, laughing. “No one wants to buy with these interest rates.”

Lauren said there were a lot of parts of the process that caught her off guard.

“I had to explain every Zelle transaction where I loaned money to someone,” she said. “If I knew then what I know now, I would have just taken out the cash and given it to them.”

Like many people, one of the biggest reasons Lauren wanted to buy a home was because of what it will mean for her family.

“I really wanted to be in a place where I can host family gatherings. I’m accessible to all my family. I’m right by freeways and trains. So I foresee barbecues and holidays and family gatherings,” she said.

“This is my forever home,” she said. “This is where I’m going to live and have my children.”

DThunderGunB

wannabe star
Registered
The economy does not play as large of a part as many think, IMO. In an economy, much of your standing is relative. The 1% are the 1%, the poorest are the poorest. When you have a functioning family unit, your family is more robust. You can save more, and need less when times are lean. I do not see any way around it. The welfare system does not exist for children, but the adults who have them. In this society, those adults are likely to be never married mother head of households. I totally blame them, as well as I totally blame the men that impregnated them. In parenting, it's not 50/50, but 100/100. The responsibility is indivisible, as both participants need to do all of thier part to have a pregnancy.

When you get rid of lifestyle choice, the amount of those who would need basic assistance shrinks dramatically. And for those who are in need, there is more resources available from those around them. At that point, there will organically be more trans-generational resources available, as there is less of a draw due to other circumstances.

At the core, I believe the only way away from the situation posed in this post is to stop thinking that we are owed anything, and that it is up to us to make (and expect)better decisions NOW.

Malcolm X said that black people going to whites for help is like a mouse going to a cat for affection. And, one of the sigs here on BGOL said it best - "not having is no excuse for not getting".
I have to agree with you but it's also much deeper than that, also Malcom was too smart and too vocal that's why the feds took him out just like MLK Jr both great men were putting the message out there that was completely authentical to the message the slave owning democrats got too many to buy into...the reason I say that is it all stems back from the 1960's Civil rights movement that MLK and many great leaders emerged and through their peaceful resistance achieved the de-segregation goals...that was amazing, but like Malcom X had warned the black community not to trust the democrats because, they were, and still are the party of slave owning racists that rose from the ashes of the confederacy...the government came to our parents and some grandparents depending on your age....they said we'll you've got your access to the equal rights that have been owed since the 1865(don't forget that democrats in the south is hoe Jim Crow was first established as a way to keep us down....then they kept them around for a century) but instead of just stopping at equal rights we'll give you additional help, like preferential college admissions over others andthe programs like welfare have had the effect of turning our self sufficient ways and tight knit communities into being dependent on the same people Malcolm explicitly warned them about..

I believe that is where things took a massive uturn into the fatherless homes and kids without their parents to show them the way...the original question really is an effect or the cause of why millennials are struggling so hard today and just chalking it up to the old "white people got it better than us" is a played our victim mentality cop out as a get out of making it happen...plus many millennials, not all but many have been raised with an unearned sense of entitlement, to make it worse its often coupled with impatience...so I've seen instances where young men and women just begin at a company, and within several months be complaining they are making substantially less than an employee who's been there 20 or 30 years...it just doesn't work like that if you haven't out the time in...idk I think it's a this problem starts at home issue before laying blame on anything else..

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Both parties suck donkey dick, but I tend to do very well under

republickans as oppossed to the demoncrats.

as far as millenials, its society fuckin them up, sending them all types of

weirdo mixed messages,

I remember growing up and every child had to endure healthy competition,

I remember sitting through award ceremonies, watching everyone one get awards but

my ass.. lol, but it was all good.... I enjoyed watching my classmates earn their

rewards..

and in sports the little league and jr football teams, had to face REAL competition,

there were winners and there were losers.. as such in life..

Nowadays, wha da fuck is with this EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY SHIT..???

and lets not even mention forcing our youth to focus on stupid shit like

gender confusion, instead of learning ACTUAL SHIT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

LIKE CONTRACT LAW and LEGALESE....

how is wasting time on gender confusion more important than learning contract law???

so the problem aint millenials the problem is terrible leaders creating terrible

environments for our youth... start with the democrats and their wacky support

of the gay agenda and its attack on our youth...

conspiracy Bro

Rising Star
Registered
This speaks to a phenomenon that I have personally witnessed as the first person in my family to graduate from college. Black people come up as INDIVIDUALS, not as a GROUP, or even a FAMILY. It seems that other people, especially immigrants, come up as a family. Whereas, with us, one person "makes it out," while still having brothers going to jail, sisters having too many kids, or even the parents on some other shit. It seems to be a regular thing with all of the college-educated black people I personally know.
I think we need more marriage in our community to really prosper