Vesta Williams has passed away - REST IN PEACE.

KingAddies

Rising Star
Registered
Re: Vesta Willams has passed away

RIP

I'll have to hit youtube to get a refresher but I know the name.

smiffnwessun

Star
Registered

This is a sad revelation never heard her name before or listened to any of her music some of you cats are old as fuck.

bigjayler

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

what?! i thought she lost all her weight? aww man r.i.p if true

gotay

Rising Star
Registered

Vesta-Williams.jpg

She was only 48 years old. R.I.P.

bborn

Rising Star
Registered

peace

Fuck:angry:

This woman's spirit & presence made her a hallmark & an icon to those of us caught up enjoying slow jam styled music as she made just about all of my slow jam taps in the late 80s early 90s.
She used to sing backup for Chaka & a whole grip of folk:
Before Vesta's debut as a solo recording artist, she paid her dues singing commercial jingles for Mcdonald's, Diet Coke, Honda and Revlon Cosmetics among others. This 'commercial recognition' eventually lead to important session work for Vesta throughout the years, where she would eventually provide background vocals for Anita Baker ('Rapture'), Jermaine Jackson ('Precious Moments'), Jeffrey Osborne ('Emotional'), Stephanie Mills ('If I Were Your Woman'), Gladys Knight ('Good Woman'), and Sting ('Nothing Like The Sun') among many others! This exposure for Vesta also prompted Chaka Khan to hire her as a vocalist during the early 1980's. It's been rumored that Vesta recorded background vocals for Chaka, but they've only worked together during live concerts. Chaka Khan is notorious for recording her own backgrounds, and since Vesta's fire was a close match, it was a no brainer to have Williams on tour.

After touring with Chaka during the early 1980's, Vesta met producer David Crawford through Joe Sample (pianist of the Jazz Crusaders), for whom she'd recorded the original vocals for 'The Survivor' in 1984. For some reason, Vesta's vocals were replaced with Phyllis Hyman's, and it was probably because MCA wanted to attach an established name with Sample's 'Oasis' album (1985).
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/seandavis/vesta_biography.html

Give Thanks for blessing us with just a little bit of you beauty Vesta:(
BlessTheDead

I used to LOVE this song!

peace

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor

WTF MTO saying she was murdered:smh::smh::smh:

LINK

I hate MTO, TMZ and WSHH:smh::smh::smh:

Google and it's the first result:angry:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

NO NO NO Man i was in love with this lady back in the day.I actually hung out with her a few times when i was an intern at WBLS.I recall always getting jealous whenever she was interviewed by Donnie Simpson on B.E.T.
Sexy voice and thick body
R.I.P LOVELY LADY

vesta-315x400.jpg

Paul1970

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I remember she used to do a Jackee impression when she was on Arsenio.

She was a funny,lively woman and even though she was "Plus Sized",i thought she was very sexy.

R.I.P.

the flash

אֱלהִים is king!!!!
OG Investor

Rip I remember her song congratulations!

Last edited:

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member

Seriously sad news. I love Vesta's singing, and remember well
all those great years listening/dancing to her albums.
REST IN PEACE VESTA WILLIAMS.
In my house you will NEVER be forgotten.
Thank you for the great songs.

bluskyII

Star
Registered

Vesta-Williams.jpg

She was only 48 years old. R.I.P.

This article states that Vesta was 53.

R&B Singer Vesta Williams Dead at 53

R&B singer Vesta Williams was found dead in a California hotel room Thursday night (Sept. 22). She was 53 years old.

The entertainer, who was widely recognized in the '80s as a lauded songstress, was apparently in good health, according to a recent video interview. "I'm just actually excited about being 53 years old and alive and well and kickin'," Williams shared at the 2:18 mark. "I don't have any problems, nothing, no medical problems, nothing, and I'm too blessed to be stressed." Though reports state she was 48 at the time of her death, her statement claims otherwise.

Williams had more than one hit climb the Billboard charts, but 1989's 'Congratulations' was the tune that made its highest mark, scoring a No. 5 position on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.

Though she never had an album certified gold, six of her songs landed in the Top 10 on the charts from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s.

Her debut self titled album was released in 1986 and 2007 marked her seventh studio album, 'Distant Lover.'

Besides music, she tried her hand at acting, starring in Mario Van Peebles' 1993 film 'Posse,' in which she played the role of a saloon singer.

Details regarding Vesta Williams cause of death are not known at this time.

http://www.theboombox.com/2011/09/23/vesta-williams-dead-at-53/

zion

Support BGOL
Registered
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vshcuVVNE5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the best

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor

Nothing really in the news yet but, as some cats know on here, I'm in the music industry so, I just got word not long ago. Still trying to get more info

Man I can't believe this. Why? Who would kill her?:confused: I'm ready to use my set of skills I've acquired over a lifetime to come find the bastard that did it.:angry: What the fuck is going on?:(