Unbe-weave-able!

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor
Then again I used to have long hair at some point and I remember it was annoying to maintain them, way too much work which is why I simply shave my head now.
So I can understand the wig thing.
But the rest...:smh:

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
I know alot wear synthetic because its alot cheaper. I had done both and actually the synthetic would stay fresh looking alot longer.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Synthetic hair always looked too shiny too me.

I liked for my weaves and wigs to look closer to my own texture when it's relaxed. I always like Yaki for this reason.

thighsneyez22

Back for the First Time
BGOL Investor
the thing about adding a little extension to braids/cornrows is then they last so much longer. a month or 2 with and a week to 10 days without. the key is to add just a little bit. nothing looks worse than when too much extension is added like how the Africans love to do.

amen.jpg

Not to mention that the "too much extension-- too little hair" method of braiding is the quickest way to...

tyra-bald.jpg

thighsneyez22

Back for the First Time
BGOL Investor
You will pay more to buy one here. About 500-700 bucks. And there is a spot off of Windy Hill Rd. called American Wigs & Fashion that sells them and applies them. Oh and before people start tripping about cost, the wigs can last a year or even longer with proper care.

THANKS-a-MILL !!!!!!!!:dance:

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have worn it all.

I've been totally bald.

I've had a short natural.

I had the "haircut like Anita Baker" back in H.S.

I've had all kinds of braid styles.

I've worn weaves.

I've worn wigs.

And now my hair is natural and I keep it cornrowed and wear full lace wigs over em.

My "hair history" sounds almost identical to Femms, except I don't mess with the lace front..I can't stand anything glued to my head and my scalp has to breathe somewhat.

I used to be able to wear wigs when I was younger, but now they bother me, because my scalp feels to hot and itchy. I am rocking a full head weave, had it done two weeks ago. I love the longer hair look--I always have, except in the 80's when I wore my natural hair feathered back like Anita Baker, but a little longer and fuller.

I think a lot of brothas who have problems with weaves is because they look ridiculously unnatural with crazy styles and funky hair colors. Add to the fact that women who don't maintain them or keep them clean make weave wearing look nasty.

I take care of my hair, keep it clean and maintain it. Also, I don't go for any colors or crazy styles--that's never been me and never will.

The younger girls are the ones who got outrageous with weaves and messed it up for the rest of us!

Anyhow, I took some pics tonight of my hair, because I'm proud of my weave! :D

See it for yourself....

<embed flashvars='aolApiServer=api.pictures.aol.com&logoText=AOL%20Pictures&logoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpictures.aol.com%2Fgalleries%2Fmistrsslola&aimName=mistrsslola' src='http://pictures.aol.com/bw/Resources/1.0.6.48/flash/woohoo/photoAlbumWoohoo.swf' name='testJSON' quality='BEST' menu='false' width='360' height='360' scale='noScale' salign='TL' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' bgcolor='#000000' ></embed>

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/m...do&state=albumId%3D29279.1728.1195962712976.1

Last edited:

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very nice. A little too long for my taste but nice.

Is that 18"?

Yes..I love the long look! :D

I wore my hair for years like Sade, long and full down my back. :)

I know you work out a lot--how do you maintain your lace front with all the working out? That is my problem with wearing the wigs. How often do you take it out and wash your hair?

At least with the weave, I can wash in between the tracks--I also use an astrigent on my scalp too to keep it clean.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Yes..I love the long look! :D

I wore my hair for years like Sade, long and full down my back. :)

I know you work out a lot--how do you maintain your lace front with all the working out? That is my problem with wearing the wigs. How often do you take it out and wash your hair?

At least with the weave, I can wash in between the tracks--I also use an astrigent on my scalp too to keep it clean.

The first time I got it done, I wore it for 2 weeks and then washed it and reapplied.

It all depends on the adhesive you're using. This time I'm using a bond that's used for extended wear and you can work out and swim in it.

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It all depends on the adhesive you're using. This time I'm using a bond that's used for extended wear and you can work out and swim in it.

Your head doesn't get hot and what about wetness under a wig with mildew, etc? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to find the appeal with these lace fronts, that women are willing to shell out so much money for them.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Your head doesn't get hot and what about wetness under a wig with mildew, etc? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to find the appeal with these lace fronts, that women are willing to shell out so much money for them.

No problem about the questions.

Lace wigs aren't like your typical wigs you get from a beauty supply store. They are made with a very delicate and fine lace, almost like a mesh. The reason why they are so expensive is because the process, called ventilating, is very labor intensive.The technique used in tying or knotting hair by hand into the cap of a wig to simulate the look of growing hair. A fully hand tied wig requires over 110 hours of skilled labor to complete, which explains the cost of this type of wig.
The lace wigs have a breathable cap, which makes them much more comfortable to wear than traditional hard wigs.

I wear cornrows under mine so I can part the wig. It is very lightweight and unlike wigs and weaves that I wore in the past, I really forget that it's not growing out of my own scalp.

lacewigwithbraid-48m7hawlw.jpg

laceagainstfinger-48m7i5ou6.jpg

This is a lace wig applied and braided to show how barely detectable it is.

200lacefront-48m7jl99x.jpg

Last edited:

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
Thats fair...so I am thinking if this girl came up to you wearing the same outfit she is in the pic (and the same hair) wanting to get a little piece of gonzo in her life...it would be a no huh?

mr%20little.jpg

You know if homegirl came up to you looking like that you are not hitting anything! She'd be too worried about you messing up her hair or her sweating it out :lol:

Though I can imagine her riding you cowgirl style going up and down making the copter propellers spin and her hair taking off! :lol:

Video is funny! I need to send it to a few women I know . . :D

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
:lol::lol: that vid is hilarious!!

I don't wear weave. I wanted to so bad when I was growing up, because thats what everyone around me did. And I tried it, to have to take it out the next day, or week if it was braids. My hair was just not the same texture.

Now, I don't perm my hair, i just wear it natural. Or get a doobie if I want to wear it straightened. I hate to see people with bad weaves though. If you use cheap synthetic hair, you know you can't let that ish sit for 3 weeks. Stop trying to stretch it out!!!!

thighsneyez22

Back for the First Time
BGOL Investor
Yes lace units are generally real Indian, Chinese or Brazilian hair.

Maybe I am going to sound ignorant for this, but I will take a chance... those ethnicities that you listed...they wash their hair everyday...If I get a wig made from said ethnicities hair... should I then wash it everyday for it to stay fresh?

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
Maybe I am going to sound ignorant for this, but I will take a chance... those ethnicities that you listed...they wash their hair everyday...If I get a wig made from said ethnicities hair... should I then wash it everyday for it to stay fresh?

You don't sound ignorant.

It depends on the hair you get. It's not advised to wash the hair daily because the hair is hand tied to the mesh. Your wig will not withstand daily washings.

The best thing to do is a "conditioning wash" every week. But this would require removing the lace wig, removing all evidence of the adhesive, allowing it to dry, resealing the knots with a knot sealer spray, allowing that to dry, and then re-applying.

I was able to go 2 weeks without washing mine. But I order units that have yaki texture. That means the hair goes through a chemical process so that it looks more like African-American relaxed hair.

thighsneyez22

Back for the First Time
BGOL Investor

Anyhow, I took some pics tonight of my hair, because I'm proud of my weave! :D

See it for yourself....

That is very natural looking...you should be VERY Proud...as they video showed... its quite easy to go astray :)

I need to send it to a few women I know . . :D

I wonder who they will be....;):rolleyes:

:lol::lol: that vid is hilarious!!
I hate to see people with bad weaves though. If you use cheap synthetic hair, you know you can't let that ish sit for 3 weeks. Stop trying to stretch it out!!!!

Glad You enjoyed the video... You have not missed out on much I tell ya!... I am curious... Is your hair too lite for braids?

You don't sound ignorant.
I was able to go 2 weeks without washing mine.

Dang... thats a lot...but I guess its better than having to do your hair everyday to make it look "presentable"... I hope those things come with manuals otherwise when I get one I'm going to be referring back to this thread every two weeks!

I believe your right. Too bad on them I enjoyed and watched it again!:lol:

Did you watch the one about men balding?... I notice how no one has touched on that... I guess men's hair (or lack there of) if not judged as harshly as women's "hair game".

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
That is very natural looking...you should be VERY Proud...as they video showed... its quite easy to go astray :)

I wonder who they will be....;):rolleyes:

Glad You enjoyed the video... You have not missed out on much I tell ya!... I am curious... Is your hair too lite for braids?

Dang... thats a lot...but I guess its better than having to do your hair everyday to make it look "presentable"... I hope those things come with manuals otherwise when I get one I'm going to be referring back to this thread every two weeks!

Did you watch the one about men balding?... I notice how no one has touched on that... I guess men's hair (or lack there of) if not judged as harshly as women's "hair game".

That vid was funny too but it couldn't touch the first vid. Just something about the catch line in the first vid.:yes:

Truthfully being a man and seeing what some of my buddies went through growing bald that 2nd vid hit close to home. Although I have plenty of hair on my head it no longer grows as evenly as it once did.

Contrary to what you may think men too worry about their hair. Men get the same scrutiny that women do. We may not get dogged like women do but we too get talked about.

A haircut? Try leaving home at 5:45am just to get a haircut. Get there and your not first, someone else is there waiting already. (Barbershop is only 7 blocks away) You don't want to be stuck in the barbershop all day waiting for a trim.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor

My hair is really fine. I'm mixed and have really really curly hair, but it is really fine, so braids would never last with synthetic hair, no matter how much I tied them up. But I can wear braids in my own hair, thats how I spent my childhood. In braids & beads.

TBone

Star
Registered
I dont know why women wear weave. If you're bald, be bald. Justbe yourself. If a man dropped his pants to fuck you, and he had a fake dick tied to the end of his real one, you would'nt fuck him. So just use what you got. Short hair, shoulder length , or going down your back. If God wanted you to have long hair, then you would have the genes to could grow it yourself.

HoneyBerry

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Like I said before, I have never worn a weave. I have used extensions in braids before. My only problem is when women have weaves that look bad or they try to wear their own hair out with the weave. If you do this, please don't get offended. But it looks kinda tacky if the texture/color/length of your hair is different from that of the weave. Other than that, to me hair is an accessory just like shoes and jewelry.

HoneyDip

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
i like to rock a weave here and there but only when i know i'm not really gonna have time to do my hair everyday. i'm tryin to get one soon since its gonna be cold lol... just a straight one nothin to crazy.

SinaminDelite

Backshot Queen
BGOL Investor
:lol::lol: That vid is gonna be sent to a few friends of mine.
I don't have a weave. I tried it once and all it did was give me a little extra body. If I would put it back in, which is highly doubtful, I'll probably get it real short just because I don't feel like cutting my own hair.

thighsneyez22

Back for the First Time
BGOL Investor
I dont know but I forgot about my own thread... I swear If my head wasn't attached (lol)...

I dont know why women wear weave.

I can only refer you to read some of the explainations the women have already given... but I do see where you are coming from... but there are not only women that want more hair but also women that want less hair "for a season" (to steal church vocab)

If I would put it back in, which is highly doubtful, I'll probably get it real short just because I don't feel like cutting my own hair.

Sin is a prefect example of that...What you are saying TBone is kinda like saying to a MUCHHHHH lesser extent... if your body can have babies just go ahead and have them.... it doesnt matter whether or not you have the means or patience to deal will them... its just the natural thing...if God didnt want you to have babies he wouldnt have let them come from you...

My only problem is when women have weaves that look bad or they try to wear their own hair out with the weave...But it looks kinda tacky if the texture/color/length of your hair is different from that of the weave. Other than that, to me hair is an accessory just like shoes and jewelry.

You ain't never told a lie... gotta keep the accsesories matching ;)!

Thanks everyone for humoring me on this subject :)

sexynbi976

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I wear weave. I have it sewn in and it's very natural looking. I don't wear my hair in any crazy styles and/or colors. I love wearing weaves because you can try a lot of styles and/or highlights/colors without damaging your hair. Now the main reason why I wear weaves is because my hair is not as thick as I would like it.

It is always curious to me why men will say I don't like for a woman to have a weave BUT they're ok with women who have breast implants to have bigger breasts and even now ok with women who inject stuff in their ass to have a fat ass. All of it is fake in its own way...I don't have thick hair so I get a weave.

But there is one difference...I can take my weave out and be all natural from head to toe.