Those Damn Guns Again II - Chicago

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Of course, I'm not from Chicago, far from it - Chicago is near the top of the country and I'm at the bottom - and some might raise an objection to me raising the issue. But the violence I see on television, read about and see on the internet among OURS in Chicago, to me at least, is absolutely stunning. And GUNS, though they may not be the CAUSE of the violence, appear so much to be an instrumentality at the CENTER of it.
  • Not that any amount of violence is okay, but why so high in Chicago ?
  • What is at the root ?
  • What can be done ?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I came across this open letter this morning:

Dear Mr. President: What About Chicago?

obama-chicago.png
By Kirsten West Savali
newsone.png

September 20, 2012

Though violence in Black America has reached epidemic levels in our neighborhoods from Los Angeles and Philadelphia, to New York and Detroit, there is something about the tumultuous and dangerous energy blanketing Chicago’s Southside that has the nation fixated on this specific microcosm of urban ills.

The fact that the United States’ first Black Commander-in-Chief, President Barack Obama, hails from what is now commonly called Chi-raq undoubtedly increases attention to one of the most neglected war-zones in the United States; yet, as with other issues specifically impacting Black America, the POTUS remains silent.

Let’s be clear: This is not to bash President Obama. He is an advocate for the restoration of the public school system, which directly — and positively — impact Black children. He has addressed the unfair discrepancies in cocaine and crack sentencing, which directly benefits Black men. First Lady Michelle Obama tackles childhood obesity, champions breastfeeding and healthy food in impoverished neighborhoods, which directly impacts Black families.

Still, he does these things at arm’s length. He makes sure that it’s known that he would do it for anyone, and the fact that Black people so happen to benefit, well, that’s just the beauty of America.

Does that mean that he’s undeserving of our vote? Of course not. After all, Bill “Slick Willy” Clinton stood up at the DNC as a conquering hero. This, despite Lewinsky-Gate, welfare reform, cuts to Medicare and Wall Street deregulation. With the calm of an elder statesman cloaked in White privilege, he basked in the praise showered upon him by the adoring crowd and rightfully so. His Third Way politics are a study in moderation that has served and will continue to serve this country — and this president — well. President Obama fails only when he oscillates from Clintonian democracy to Bush-esque war-mongering and civil liberty snatching, while attempting to package it in a smooth brother-man persona that doesn’t quite pass the sniff test.

This is never so apparent as in Chicago, Illinois. Newsone has reported on the tragedy that has become the city’s Southside and while a city burns, Obama plays it safe by only venturing into the war-zone for weddings and fundraisers. During the wedding weekend of Valerie Jarrett’s daughter, 35 people were shot and 7 of them died. The youngest victim was a 16-year-old girl who died after she was shot three times in the chest. Apparently though, the death march that was occurring in the hood was no match for the wedding march occurring at the beautifully decorated estate.

For many that stark contrast was the equivalent of Bush 43 looking down on Hurricane Katrina’s devastation from a helicopter while people begged for their lives from the roofs of flooded homes.

This is Obama’s Achilles Heel.

His inability to connect, his avoidance of solidarity outside of Civil Rights photo ops from Rosa Park’s bus and soaring quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream, and his open advocacy of Latinos and Hispanics, the LGBT community, Women, Farmers, the Middle Class and Business Owners, while seemingly assuming that Black America will take the hint and get in where we fit in.

This is not to say that he doesn’t care; his quiet executive chess moves proves that he does care a great deal. The broader issue is that he cares enough to publicly chastise, but does he care enough to publicly empathize?

For unwavering support in the face of disappointment, Black America was rewarded with the “Stop Grumblin’ and Cryin’” address and the “Black men need to be better fathers” sermons. The only time I’ve heard the POTUS call Black men “brother” is when he’s telling them to pull up their pants. Every single one of the president’s grievances hold merit and I agree with him, but the fact that no other voting bloc specifically receives his scorn and patronizing admonitions has been duly noted by many people who expected someone to tell the story of Black America beyond the stereotypes.

It is not insane to expect more from our president concerning the specific ills that plague the Black community, especially behind the battle lines of his own city. He’s our president when he sings Al Green; he’s our president when he kisses his gorgeous Black wife, hugs his adorable Black daughters and rubs the fur of his bouncy little Black dog named Bo. He’s our president when he shows off his “swag,” but when it comes time to specifically address issues that disproportionately affect Black America, he suddenly becomes the president for “all” Americans and we should expect no more than that.

I call bulls***.

I was on the phone at 6:00 a.m. with the Chicago Police Department with possible information about the laundromat murder of Jalen Stogner in front of his mother. I have watched video of slain teen rapper Lil’ JoJo and shed tears over the ignorant violence that has been on full display as young mothers excuse their sons’ behavior and fathers aren’t mentioned.

Is this senseless fratricide not as urgent as the D.R.E.A.M. Act or Lily Ledbetter Act or the eradication of the Defense of Marriage Act?

Is it not? I would offer this to President Barack Obama:

Mr. President, you stood before the world and said these words:

“If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon [Martin].”

Sir, your son wouldn’t just look like Trayvon Martin. He’d look like Joseph Coleman and Jalen Stogner. Your son would look like Tyquan Tyler and Antonio Davis. Your daughters look like 7-year-old Heaven Sutton.

This is not to say that you need to be the one to “fix” anything in our communities; clearly, we must do that for ourselves. What I am saying is that everyone, of every hue, deserves to know that their so-called leaders care if they live or die.

Even if the murders happen in the wretched slums of Chicago.

Even if that leader is you, Mr. President.

imgpress

Kirsten West Savali is Contributing Editor at Newsone.com and former Senior News Editor at YourBlackWorld.com. Drawing from her degree in Psychology and experience as a mental health professional, her provocative topics explore the intersectionality of race, religion, gender, politics and culture. Kirsten's feature articles also appear on HuffingtonPost.com, VibeVixen.com, TheRoot.com, TheGrio.com, Alternet.org and many others. She has also provided commentary on such radio programs as Michele Martin's 'Beauty Shop' on NPR, Jacque Reid's 'Inside Her Story' on the Tom Joyner Morning Show, and WVON's Perri Small Show. Her short story, "She Convinced The World She Didn't Exist," is featured in the anthology, Liberated Muse Volume II: Betrayal Wears a Pretty Face. Kirsten is currently co-writing The Hole in the Wall, a piercing, Blues-tinged screenplay that delves into the bruised soul of a fatherless son in search of himself. She is also founder of The Nomadic Poets Oasis, a website dedicated to the elevation and exposure of Poetry and Spoken Word. Connect with her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter: @KWestSavali
SOURCE: http://newsone.com/author/kirstenwestsavali/

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very good read op.

Politics is chess. He'll deal with us directly this term

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Yogi Bear

Star
OG Investor
It's more amazing that this is just happening given Chicago's gang history.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Did Obama say this or are you just hoping (again)?

Whether or not the poster's hope is real or imagined and whether or not Obama made the statement or not -- what specifically would YOU ask Obama, or any other president for that matter, to do, . . . specifically ???

Trying to keep the focus on: (a) the cause; and (b) solutions.

GhostofMarcus

Star
Registered
When are African\black people going to take responsibility? One person is not going to stop crime til the people doing to crime decide they are going to stop or the people in the community take those that do the crime out. You can talk til you blue in the face.

Cruise

Star
Registered

Whether or not the poster's hope is real or imagined and whether or not Obama made the statement or not -- what specifically would YOU ask Obama, or any other president for that matter, to do, . . . specifically ???

Trying to keep the focus on: (a) the cause; and (b) solutions.

What I have learned in life, is that first you must identify the problem so you can ask the right questions.

My job in life is not to fix problems, that others were elected to solve.

I would expect the President to not meddle in the affairs of local communities with imaginary Wars on Crime/Drugs/Terror or whatever imaginary threat they choose.

Chicago, like Detroit, are suffering because these police departments have a vested interest in demoralizing and destabilizing these communities for Federal funding, and budget increases.

Take away the Federal government handouts and the alphabet soup "law enforcement agencies" and the cities suffering from all this gun violence will have a chance.

With Obama, black people in the cities stand no chance to be free of this scourge.

Greed

Star
Registered
Overall, I would say what's the problem? This is not a breakdown of values in Chicago but instead the achievement of the values people have worked for years to obtain.

You want to make it illegal, with the minimum wage, to work if you are low-skilled? Fine, you now have a class of people with little hope, in their minds, of making things better for themselves because they can't get someone to hire them for $8.25/hour.

You want to subsidize people, with little skill and hope, to not work and have kids they can't afford? Fine, enjoy the kind of child that a lack of supervision and mature moral guidance produces.

They wanted this. Daley and Emanuel carried every black district the last three elections here. Black voters asked for nothing in return. Well, enjoy the fruits of your labor. You get exactly what you ask for.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Remember, we're not in Chicago (at least most of us are not); don't assume we know anything (because many, including me, don't); so, explain in greater detail what your saying.

Thanking you in advance.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Remember, we're not in Chicago (at least most of us are not); don't assume we know anything (because many, including me, don't); so, explain in greater detail what your saying.

Thanking you in advance.

Greed

Star
Registered
This is not a Chicago-specific problem. The extremism represented here just makes it a good example for discussion. People in multiple cities can related to racial/economic problems in this thread.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
This is not a Chicago-specific problem.

You're absolutely right. Its not a Chicago-specific problem; but it does appear to be specifically more acute for Chicago youth, right now.

The extremism represented here just makes it a good example for discussion.

Damn Greed; you're politicizing suffering :confused:

People in multiple cities can related to racial/economic problems in this thread.

Again, I agree. But, what about the racial/economic problems of Chicago that appear to make the youth violence there so much more prevalent -- or is that just appearances (could be) ? What lessons bode in the Chicago microcosm for the rest of America ?

Greed

Star
Registered
I believe its just appearances, and this is just a flare-up. The killings and destruction is always there.

First, I don't see this as an issue with youth. I can't make an issue with the person being raised and not focus entirely on who's doing the raising. In reality, what do these kids know other than what they've been exposed to in life? And I'm using the term "kids" loosely. I'm talking people, of any age, who never grew up and only focus on doing what they can get away with. That's a child mentality. We're dealing with tons of people that never learned how to be an adult.

Obviously, this is massively complicated. Young males that never stop doing child-things like being in a gang because being in a gang started to become profitable with drug money. But then why would the relatively little money associated with being a low-level gang member be attractive? Maybe because society has worked to eliminate low-wage opportunities in the mainstream economy.

Cruise

Star
Registered
I believe its just appearances, and this is just a flare-up. The killings and destruction is always there.

First, I don't see this as an issue with youth. I can't make an issue with the person being raised and not focus entirely on who's doing the raising. In reality, what do these kids know other than what they've been exposed to in life? And I'm using the term "kids" loosely. I'm talking people, of any age, who never grew up and only focus on doing what they can get away with. That's a child mentality. We're dealing tons of people that never learned how to be an adult.

Obviously, this is massively complicated. Young males that never stop doing child-things like being in a gang because being in a gang started to become profitable with drug money. But then why would the relatively little money associated with being a low-level gang member be attractive? Maybe because society has worked to eliminate low-wage opportunities in the mainstream economy.

I see you know full well what is happening.

Whites have setup urban neighborhoods, full of black people, to fail.

Take away the jobs.
Force inferior "education" on the kids.
Sic' the cops on the males.
Tell the women they can be independent, without a man, through government welfare.
Constantly feed a steady diet of negative imagery to the children through the schools, and if that fails, the TV and movies.
Make what should be legal, into a pathway to the prisons, namely marijuana and cocaine.
Overpolice, overarrest, overcharge, and overimprison.
Make sure nothing economically happens without it going through a white bank.
Said bank then tells all the black people they are not good enough for credit, but the asians, jews, arabs, and whoever else are.
Redline the neighborhoods for higher insurance and higher interest rates and lower loan approvals.
Pass laws specifically designed to incarcerate as many black people as possible to create jobs for the police, the prisons, and the courts.

And, voila, you have Detroit, Chicago, DC, New York, Cleveland, and any other city that has a lot of black people in it.

It seems whenever black people are in a city, in sufficient numbers, you can guarantee this is what is happening there.

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have a few questions about this situation.

1. How are the gun laws in Illinois?

2. Where's the overall economic growth in Chicago?

3. Does Illinois support the death penalty?

I believe if you have tough laws against the violence itself, mixed with a populace that can protect their self, and a growing economic situation, you will slowly eliminate a gang problem.

Greed

Star
Registered
I see you know full well what is happening.

Whites have setup urban neighborhoods, full of black people, to fail.

Take away the jobs.
Force inferior "education" on the kids.
Sic' the cops on the males.
Tell the women they can be independent, without a man, through government welfare.
Constantly feed a steady diet of negative imagery to the children through the schools, and if that fails, the TV and movies.
Make what should be legal, into a pathway to the prisons, namely marijuana and cocaine.
Overpolice, overarrest, overcharge, and overimprison.
Make sure nothing economically happens without it going through a white bank.
Said bank then tells all the black people they are not good enough for credit, but the asians, jews, arabs, and whoever else are.
Redline the neighborhoods for higher insurance and higher interest rates and lower loan approvals.
Pass laws specifically designed to incarcerate as many black people as possible to create jobs for the police, the prisons, and the courts.

And, voila, you have Detroit, Chicago, DC, New York, Cleveland, and any other city that has a lot of black people in it.

It seems whenever black people are in a city, in sufficient numbers, you can guarantee this is what is happening there.
I would generally agree with your assessment except the part about "Whites have..."

This is a social/economic model that black people have chosen to fully endorse.

Greed

Star
Registered
1. How are the gun laws in Illinois?
I don't really know about the guns laws statewide, but Chicago allows home owners to have guns with unnecessarily long hours of certification. This is a result of a somewhat recent Supreme Court decision.

2. Where's the overall economic growth in Chicago?
There is no real growth here. Its a malaise. The politician think they are going to make the next Silicon Valley, but in reality it will probably focus on tourism and corporate headquarters relocating here because of tax breaks at the expense of average people.

3. Does Illinois support the death penalty?

I believe if you have tough laws against the violence itself, mixed with a populace that can protect their self, and a growing economic situation, you will slowly eliminate a gang problem.
Illinois thankfully has a moratorium on the death penalty. It's actually one of the few states that have all but explicitly admitted that they have killed innocent people. They acknowledged that they can't avoid it, so they shut it down.

Cruise

Star
Registered
I would generally agree with your assessment except the part about "Whites have..."

This is a social/economic model that black people have chosen to fully endorse.

Well, looking at BGOL, it would be a good argument.

But, this model of failure, that has worked so well in the black communities, is just a way to destroy ALL communities in the United States, that are deemed surplus population or useless eaters. Black people were just a useful experiment, in my opinion.

I believe, what you are seeing in places like Chicago, will spread across the country, to all cities, eventually.

In the eyes of the rich, there are far too many in the United States who are eating up the productive resources of the nation on things that do not benefit the rich. Unless you can be made into perpetual slaves (wages, debt, welfare), you must be imprisoned, sent to die in some god-forsaken war, or deported.

Who knows, if the rich get really desperate, they may start mass executions as some sort of Final Solution.

Either way, what is happening in Chicago (and other cities) is designed to happen that way. To me, these are just steps of a much larger agenda.

Greed

Star
Registered
I wouldn't attribute it to a grand scheme when to defeat the whole plan, all you have to do is not go along with it.

Cruise

Star
Registered
That is the beauty of grand schemes. Whether you go along with it or not, you are still affected.

They have whole training programs and intelligence agencies that serve no other purpose than to control and manipulate populations for the benefit of the rich (or the "elite"), such as the KGB, and the CIA ("the company").

The Federal Reserve is a grand scheme, a private banking cartel, to control the supply of the nation's credit and distribution of its debt.

Henry Ford noticed that the purpose of the Federal Reserve is to create a system of inextinguishable debt where they control the nation's economy through the manipulation of credit.

The Federal Reserve is just one grand scheme of many. The OPEC, NATO, the UN, Homeland Security, Mastercard/Visa, FEMA, AMA, the local police, the RIAA, and on and on. They are all grand schemes to control the populations of the world, for the benefit of a few.

These grand schemes for population control really developed through the late 19th and 20th centuries, but the basic principles have been around for centuries (in some cases, thousands of years).

The purpose of these schemes is to demoralize and destabilize the population, through a system of disinformation (strict control of all information sources combined with heavy-duty "law enforcement") to such a degree, that whether they have the information and resources to protect themselves or not, people would still choose to do as they are told than to act in their own self-interest.

One ex-KGB agent said, for the brainwashed, you could drown so-called intelligent people with facts, evidence, and information, and they will still choose to believe the lie. You could show them the torture chambers, the massacres, the death camps, the military atrocities, and they will simply make excuses for them all. It is not until they, themselves, suffer, that their eyes are opened... and by then, it is too late for them.

William Casey said of the CIA that we will know when our disinformation plan has succeeded when everything the American public believes is a lie.

Large nations run on grand schemes. It is the only way for them to maintain control over their populations (or livestock).

Black people just happen to be guinea pigs of the United States, as a test for the rest of the human livestock.

There are some great books on the nature and origins of the State and its systems of controlling the population to maintain the status quo. Believe it or not, people study this stuff and there is a whole word of information about it if you are willing to consider the possibilities.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Interesting op-ed but I would love to know something.
After the President talks about Chicago violence and makes the writer feel better, what is the Governor of Illinois going to do about it? Or the mayor of Chicago? Or the city aldermen (or whatever they have?).

Greed

Star
Registered
Interesting op-ed but I would love to know something.
After the President talks about Chicago violence and makes the writer feel better, what is the Governor of Illinois going to do about it? Or the mayor of Chicago? Or the city aldermen (or whatever they have?).
The politicians will do nothing, and I'm basing that on history. This is a long-running problem and they usually do nothing. Chicago is consistently rated as the most segregated big city, which means the violence committed by black people rarely touches white people. However, when it does, justice is swift and harsh. They catch the perpetrators right away and max bail is set. A clear message is sent to keep the violence on the black part of town.

As far as the article goes, I don't think the author is being unreasonable. It was argued that just having Obama elected will have an impact on the black mindset, so that people can see success in the form of something other than basketball and football. It seems reasonable to say that seeing the President make a high profile speech about black-on-black violence will raise the importance of the issue in the black community.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The politicians will do nothing, and I'm basing that on history. This is a long-running problem and they usually do nothing. Chicago is consistently rated as the most segregated big city, which means the violence committed by black people rarely touches white people. However, when it does, justice is swift and harsh. They catch the perpetrators right away and max bail is set. A clear message is sent to keep the violence on the black part of town.

As far as the article goes, I don't think the author is being unreasonable. It was argued that just having Obama elected will have an impact on the black mindset, so that people can see success in the form of something other than basketball and football. It seems reasonable to say that seeing the President make a high profile speech about black-on-black violence will raise the importance of the issue in the black community.

Raise it higher than it is now? I don't think Black folks living in violent communities worry about much else. I'm sure a speech would make some people feel better but I hate symbolic, meaningless shit especially when it's done as a substitute for real effort.
You can say politicians won't do shit, and I'm not arguing, but after Obama makes this hypothetical speech, you're still going to have to force your local pols to act. I'm just saying skip waiting for that and just move on to the action.

Greed

Star
Registered
I think its all bullshit. I just understand the article's logic. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it's unreasonable just like Obama being elected was supposed to help just because it happened. Not completely baseless.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I think its all bullshit. I just understand the article's logic. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it's unreasonable just like Obama being elected was supposed to help just because it happened. Not completely baseless.

One I could see, first Black President with his Black wife, but the other is a stretch for me. He made a PSA on fathers and deadbeats stayed deadbeats.

Greed

Star
Registered
Really, it's just stupid shit.

Man Gets 20 Years For Shooting That Wounded 18-Month-Old Girl
September 29, 2012 4:47 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — A 28-year-old South Side man will spend the next 20 years behind bars – for shooting an 18-month old girl.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Jan Coleman reports, Tarenzo Dillon was not trying to kill Akirah Vickers, who was seriously hurt when the bullet pierced her small cheek, moved into her shoulder, and exited her back as she sat in her stroller.

He was going after a man who had disciplined his child in a way he didn’t like. The men, who had children by the same woman, got into an argument on July 17, 2010.

Afterward, witnesses say Dillon went into a rage, got a gun from a car, and opened fire — without concern for others who had gathered in Grand Crossing Park, in the 7600 block of South Dobson Avenue.

Dillon allegedly first fired into the air, then into the crowd. He missed the man he’d been arguing with, but struck Akirah and pierced her cheek, police said.

In April of this year, jurors deliberated only two hours before finding the shooter guilty of aggravate battery with a firearm.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09...-for-shooting-that-wounded-18-month-old-girl/

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Really, it's just stupid shit.

Man Gets 20 Years For Shooting That Wounded 18-Month-Old Girl
September 29, 2012 4:47 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — A 28-year-old South Side man will spend the next 20 years behind bars – for shooting an 18-month old girl.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Jan Coleman reports, Tarenzo Dillon was not trying to kill Akirah Vickers, who was seriously hurt when the bullet pierced her small cheek, moved into her shoulder, and exited her back as she sat in her stroller.

He was going after a man who had disciplined his child in a way he didn’t like. The men, who had children by the same woman, got into an argument on July 17, 2010.

Afterward, witnesses say Dillon went into a rage, got a gun from a car, and opened fire — without concern for others who had gathered in Grand Crossing Park, in the 7600 block of South Dobson Avenue.

Dillon allegedly first fired into the air, then into the crowd. He missed the man he’d been arguing with, but struck Akirah and pierced her cheek, police said.

In April of this year, jurors deliberated only two hours before finding the shooter guilty of aggravate battery with a firearm.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09...-for-shooting-that-wounded-18-month-old-girl/

:smh:

So just a fistfight wouldn't have been enough, huh? Ol' coward ass ninja must not have had any confidence in his hands. Now he's hurt some innocent little girl and taken himself out of his own kid's lives. :smh:

Greed

Star
Registered
In a Soaring Homicide Rate, a Divide in Chicago

In a Soaring Homicide Rate, a Divide in Chicago
By MONICA DAVEY
Published: January 2, 2013

CHICAGO — This city’s 471st homicide of 2012 happened in the middle of the day, in the middle of a crowd, on the steps of the church where the victim of homicide 463 was being eulogized. Sherman Miller, who was 21, collapsed amid gunfire not far from the idling hearse that was there to carry away James Holman, 32, shot to death a week earlier

The funeral shooting at St. Columbanus Catholic Church on the South Side left neighbors fretting that no place, not even a church, felt safe any longer. “It’s become the Wild Wild West,” said Charles Childs Jr., who had watched from across the street as mourners screamed and scattered.

The shooting, on Nov. 26, was one more jarring reminder of just how common killings seem to have grown on the streets of Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city, where 506 homicides were reported in 2012, a 16 percent increase over the year before, even as the number of killings remained relatively steady or dropped in some cities, including New York.

But the overall rise in killings here blurs another truth: the homicides, most of which the authorities described as gang-against-gang shootings, have not been spread evenly across this city. Instead, they have mostly taken place in neighborhoods west and south of Chicago’s gleaming downtown towers.

Already, 2013 began with three gun homicides on New Year’s Day, two of them on the South Side. Like other cities, Chicago has long been a segregated place, richer and whiter on the North Side, and the city’s troubling increase in killings has accentuated a longstanding divide.

“It’s two different Chicagos,” said the Rev. Corey B. Brooks Sr., the pastor of New Beginnings Church on the South Side, who had led the funeral service for Mr. Holman the day shots rang out, then found himself leading Mr. Miller’s funeral service a week later. The authorities here have described both shootings as gang related. “If something like that had happened at the big cathedral in downtown Chicago or up north at a predominantly white church, it would still be on the news right now, it would be such a major thing going on.”

More than 80 percent of the city’s homicides took place last year in only about half of Chicago’s 23 police districts, largely on the city’s South and West Sides. The police district that includes parts of the business district downtown reported no killings at all. And while at least one police district on the city’s northern edge saw a significant increase in the rate of killings, the total number there still was dwarfed by deaths in districts on the other sides of town, and particularly in certain neighborhoods.

Along the streets downtown and in neighborhoods on the North Side not far from Lake Michigan, some residents acknowledged that they had heard about a rise in the city’s homicide rate, but said it had not affected their own sense of safety. “This area is a bit of a Garden of Eden,” said Gwen Sylvain, as she walked dogs along a residential street not far from the Loop.

Others said they rarely had reason to go to the Chicago’s South or West Sides, only a few miles away, and some longtime residents said they had never once ventured to such neighborhoods. Police business on the North Side rarely seems to rise beyond an overly enthusiastic Cubs fan or a parking quibble, said Kyong Lee, who said that in the past he had, without consequence, forgotten to lock up his family’s shoe repair business.

In Back of the Yards, a South Side neighborhood near the city’s old meatpacking district, the tenor was far different. Mothers spoke of keeping their children inside from the moment school ended, and businessmen of decisions to lock the front doors of their shops during business hours. “I don’t go out at night,” said Jesse Martinez, who recalled the gun pressed to his head as he was robbed a few years ago inside the hat and boot store he has run for 32 years.

Over all, crime in Chicago dropped 9 percent in 2012 from the year before in what city officials say was the largest decrease in 30 years. Among crimes that saw dips last year: rape, robbery and car theft. With the city’s longtime gangs splintering into factions and increasing problems with retaliatory violence, homicides rose suddenly in the first three months of the year — running some 60 percent ahead of the year earlier — creating a pace that slowed significantly as the year went on.

City officials attributed the improvement to a broad anti-gang strategy that includes an elaborate police audit of gang members, removal of vacant buildings and efforts to involve neighbors. Some have called for increased gun control legislation; of 7,000 guns recovered by the Chicago police in recent months, handguns are most common, but 300 were assault weapons.

“A child shot is a child of the City of Chicago,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who lives on the North Side, said in an interview in which he addressed the long-held divisions in a city known for its endless array of distinct neighborhoods on the North, South and West Sides. “Don’t anybody think that it’s ‘over there,’ ” the mayor said. “It’s a tear on this city.”

No arrests have been made in the deaths of Mr. Holman or Mr. Miller, who died on the steps of the church that Al Capone’s mother once attended regularly and where Barack Obama distributed food to the needy just after he was elected president in 2008. The authorities say three guns were believed to be present when Mr. Miller died. The police say Mr. Miller was carrying a gun. And bullet casings from two other weapons were found on the steps.

At Mr. Miller’s funeral in December, a large contingent of Chicago police officers waited outside.

“It’s gotten to the point, unfortunately, where something as significant as a funeral is subject to gang violence, and I can’t even believe that we’re having this conversation,” Garry McCarthy, the police superintendent here, said in an interview. “I’m not willing to gamble that maybe they’re not going to bring their guns this time.”

Inside that funeral, at another church on the city’s South Side, Mr. Brooks stood near Mr. Miller’s coffin, recalling what had happened at the last funeral. “Ever since then,” Mr. Brooks told Mr. Miller’s mother, who sat before him, “my heart has been so torn.”

As friends of the deceased stepped past his framed photograph to stand at a microphone, Mr. Brooks called for peace in the church, read out his own cellphone number (in case, he said, anyone needed it), and stopped one young man from launching into a rap, for fear, Mr. Brooks said later, of what new trouble that might stir.

In a corner of the church, a friend of Mr. Miller revealed text messages he had sent to her during Mr. Holman’s funeral, minutes before he was shot: “dis preacher like he talkin straight to me,” one of the messages read. “He talkin bout hurts and pain. I cant run from the pain cause its gone hurt me worse if I’m by myself because I gotta think about everything.” In tears, she recalled how she had replied to the texts with questions, but Mr. Miller never responded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/u...a-divide-in-chicago.html?_r=2&&pagewanted=all

tp2001

Star
Registered
:smh: :smh:

People need to stop waiting for some politician to "save" them...take action for self first, then start building from within. After that happens you should have power in numbers (small-scale first)...that is your voice

And in reference to the violence in Chicago, when will the criminals realize that they're "relegated" to do crime in the black communtiy/areas? I guess "niggas" don't think... *sighs*

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
The City of Chicago is very rich in street gang history. Many people believe that the origin of the modern day street gang was founded in Chicago. The creation of the People and Folks Nations can be accredited to Chicago, and was well known for organized crime syndicates in the past. Street gangs are a secret underground culture and the gangs are not limited to gender, race, culture, or neighborhood.

There are African American Gangs, Asian Gangs, Arabic Gangs, Female Gangs, White Gangs, Latino or Hispanic Gangs. They are on the west side, the north side, the south side and the east side of Chicago. The members can range from a handful in a small neighborhood crew, to thousands for larger gangs. Members can be as young as 10 and as old as 50. Street Gangs are a rich part of Chicago's underworld, they have been around for many years and will continue to be a secret culture among Chicago's Society.

http://www.chicagogangs.org/index.php?pr=Chicago_Gangs

Greed

Star
Registered
Report Details All 506 Chicago Murders From 2012

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2012-chicago-murders/timeline?mon=1

Report Details All 506 Chicago Murders From 2012
January 14, 2013 1:55 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) – A new report aims to put faces and names to the number of murders that Chicago saw last year.

WBBM Newsradio’s Nancy Harty reports 506 people were shot, stabbed, strangled, or beaten to death in Chicago last year.

Called “Murder In Chicago: The Human Toll,” the exhaustive project by the hyperlocal news site DNAInfoChicago.com took a dozen staffers several months to compile, according to managing editor Shamus Toomey.

“A lot of these people, their murders sort of came and went. Last year, there were just so many of them,” Toomey said.

In addition to a timeline and map of all 506 homicides, Toomey said the projects includes pictures and details, when available.

“A little bit, in some cases, about who these people are, what they loved, what they did,” he said. “A little bit of the humanity behind the numbers.”

Among the victims were Ancelmo Solis – a 51-year-old ice cream vendor who was beaten to death in July in North Lawndale – and 13-year-old Tyquan Tyler, who had moved to East Moline, only to be shot and killed while leaving a party in Woodlawn in June, when he came back to visit.

Thirty-year-old Soraya Gibson was shot and killed on Jan. 7, 2012, as she and her family were moving out of their Englewood home. Seventy-six-year-old Frank Baity’s twin sister said she still listens to his voice mail messages well after he died from a March beating in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood.

Toomey called such stories heartbreaking.

“No matter what brought this person to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office, there were people left behind that had nothing to do with the circumstances,” he said.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/14/report-details-all-506-chicago-murders-from-2012/